Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

George Orwell Quotes - Fairly Buddhist for the Most Part

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited October 2011 in Arts & Writings
" Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness. "

" If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. "

" To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle. "

" Many people genuinely do not wish to be saints, and it is possible that some who achieve or aspire to sainthood have never had much temptation to be human beings. "

" Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words: it is war minus the shooting. "

" Political language. . . is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. "

" On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good and not quite all the time. "

Comments

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    More ! More ! We demand more, comrade ! :clap:
  • novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, these quotes were awesome! I just had to write an essay on George Orwell not too long ago, for college. Though, I just did what I needed to do to get the assignment done; I didn't go in depth, or actually take the time to read some of his best work. If quotes like these exist in his writing, you just made a true George Orwell fan out of me.
  • I had to study animal farm when I was 15 for part of my English exam, ever since then I have been a big fan of his work. I like how well he manages to pull off 'over writing' and still keep the reader interested. I finished re-reading 1984 the other day and now I managed to find Burmese Days on the net so I have plunged myself into that one. The Picture Of Dorian Grey is also quite fun, not to everyone's taste however!
  • I didn't even read that much material. ^^; I just read a short story that I believe was called "The Hanging"
  • I have never come across that story, I have just read 4 novels and they all left me in deeo thought. He often seems to surirse you with twists and turns, momets of extreme graphic violence, and also a book you cannot out down :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    ThailandTom: The Picture Of Dorian Grey is also quite fun, not to everyone's taste however!

"The Picture of Dorian Gray" was written by Oscar Wilde.

I'm a big fan of Orwell's writing... not least, "Homage to Catalonia," "The Road to Wigan Pier" and "Down and Out in Paris and London."
  • !!!!! :o really. OMG, how the hell did I get it into my brain that it was written by George Orwell o.O .. I do not have the copy anymore as I lent it to a friend and never saw it again. It was a gift from someone special as well, meh! I read it three times as well LMAO, well my bad :rarr:

Have you read 'Coming Up For Air'?