Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

World population hits 7 billion

wonderingwondering Veteran
edited October 2011 in Buddhism Today
Today, you are one of 7 billion people on Earth.
This historic milestone is rekindling age-old debates over birth control, protecting natural resources and reducing consumption. It also has many wondering whether the Earth can support so many people.

About half were added just in the past 40 years, and 3 billion more are expected by 2100.

Global population has swelled in record time since 1987, when it hit 5 billion.

"Currently, world population is growing at the most rapid pace in history," says Carl Haub, a demographer at the Population Reference Bureau. "In 1900, we were at 1.6 billion. In 99 years, we flipped the numbers to 6.1 billion."

The world is adding more people in less time but the annual growth rate is slowing down — from 2.1% in the late 1960s to 1.2% today — reflecting lower birth rates.

"In 1999, when we passed the 6 billion mark, the world economy was in hyperdrive," says Robert Lang, urban sociologist at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. "Now we pass the 7 billion mark in a recession and there's much pessimism."

Recessions and depressions tend to slow population growth, especially in developed nations. Currently, growth is highest in poorest countries where health care advances are keeping people alive longer while birth rates are still relatively high.

The result is a yawning age gap. In Germany, 21% of the population is 65 and older and 23% in Japan. In countries such as Gambia or Senegal, only 2% are elderly.

Many of the programs to reduce population growth have been successful, Haub says.

"I can only imagine what population size would have been today if that had not happened," he says.

However many more people are added in the next century, more will live in cities. Even in developing nations, a growing share of the population lives in urbanized areas, a shift that is leading to denser living and putting more pressure to reduce energy use and build new infrastructure .

"Seven billion people are 7 billion good reasons for sustainable infrastructure development," says Daryl Dulaney, president and CEO of Siemens Industry, a leading supplier of transportation and building technology.

Only 28.8% of the world's population lived in urban areas in 1950. Today, just over 50% do and the United Nations projects that almost 69% will by 2050, when the population is expected to reach 9.3 billion. The number of people who live in cities by then will almost equal today's world population.

That's why Siemens created the Infrastructure and Cities Sector this month.

"From a city's perspective, what this is doing is putting additional pressure to be competitive in the world," says Dulaney, who heads Siemens' new division in the USA. "Global companies can go anywhere. If America is going to compete to attract businesses … the way they compete is with infrastructure, a good quality of life."

Cities in developing nations have an edge of sorts because they're building from scratch and can apply the latest green technologies. In developed nations such as the USA, the challenge is to retrofit old buildings, power grids and roads.

Many are doing it. Siemens installed 40,000 new lights in Houston's traffic signal system, cutting energy use and saving $1.4 million a year, Dulaney says. Dallas is getting a smart grid that will integrate water, electrical and other services.

"With 19th-century technology, the planet could not have handled 2 billion people," Lang says. "It would have consumed every stick of wood, which was a principal source of fuel."

Groups such as the Population Institute, an organization that advocates family planning around the world, are calling for more international support to reduce births.

"People in the developing world are on the front line of climate change and food insecurity," says Robert Walker, executive vice president. "Of all the very significant challenges that we face in the world today, many of those issues appear to be almost insurmountable challenges. Population growth is not."

located at.....http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2011-10-30/world-population-hits-seven-billion/51007670/1

Comments

• everybody wants a baby or grandbaby
  • Today, you are one of 7 billion people on Earth.
    ... 3 billion more are expected by 2100.
    Many demographers believe that the population is likely to peak at 9 billion around 2050.
    everybody wants a baby or grandbaby
    Not exactly. Birth rates in many countries have been falling for decades.
  • All things are impermanent. Including the planet we're so hell-bent on destroying.
  • Indeed Mountains - although I think the planet will outlast us humans.
  • We spent almost a whole period talking about this in my AP human class. Tomorrow we will have the world population clock up seeing if we can watch it go to 7 billion.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Crazy!
    I read somewhere that in the year 2100 the world population is going to hit 15 billion.
  • The funny thing is is that even though there are 7 billion people on earth we could all stand side by side inside the boundary of LA and still have room to move around. Also on the BBC's website (on the news part) you can calculate what number you are. Mine is 5,382,152 or something like that.
    The funny thing is is that even though there are 7 billion people on earth we could all stand side by side inside the boundary of LA and still have room to move around. Also on the BBC's website (on the news part) you can calculate what number you are. Mine is 5,382,152 or something like that.
    Lol! Interesting!
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2011
    The funny thing is is that even though there are 7 billion people on earth we could all stand side by side inside the boundary of LA and still have room to move around. Also on the BBC's website (on the news part) you can calculate what number you are. Mine is 5,382,152 or something like that.
    I'm not sure about that LA thing, but if you've been to Wyoming or the steppes of Central Asia, you'll see that populations are *very* dilute in those places and ***very*** concentrated in other places.

I'm way back at 3.14 billion.
  • Crazy!
    I read somewhere that in the year 2100 the world population is going to hit 15 billion.
    "somewhere" is wrong - at present trends we'll never get close to that. 9-10 billion peak is the most common estimate.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    All things are impermanent. Including the planet we're so hell-bent on destroying.
    George Carling reckoned that Mother Nature wants plastic bags and created humans to fulfil that need. Once she's had her fill of 'em, She'll destroy us humans.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Two words..... Soylent Green! :D
  • i'm sure the planet can handle it.
    i'm not sure the humans can.
    isn't it interesting that we don't deal with the obvious problem, but rather project it onto the earth.

the sun will still shine regardless of what it is shining on. well until it burns out. <3
    i'm sure the planet can handle it.
    i'm not sure the humans can.
    isn't it interesting that we don't deal with the obvious problem, but rather project it onto the earth.

the sun will still shine regardless of what it is shining on. well until it burns out. <3</p>
    I like that!
    Thanks!
  • I honestly don't get it.

Resources are running out. My argument isn't that people shouldn't have kids because they'll use all of our resources.

It's actually not much of an argument at all. My question is: We know we're running out of oil with very few alternatives. We know we're running out of fresh water and as optimistic as we want to be, the chances are that human extinction may well occur within the next 100 years, and we all know these this. Even if you don't believe it, the chances of it being true are there and undeniable. So why would you want kids?

Yes, biological urge for us to reproduce, but shouldn't we have some self control when it comes to something that ends us.
    I was reading an article about this and it included topics of overpopulation. The comments section were flooded with mothers saying "I don't care about over population, my 4/5/6/7 (One woman said she had 11 kids) babies are the most important thing to me." This makes me wonder just how stupid these people are. If the chances of them living through WW3 and living miserable lives and dying horrible deaths are within a good chance, and you know this and then you keep squeezing them out, then I just think you're a stupid, ignorant douche.

With the present circumstances, isn't having a kid a bit like creating a beautiful painting, then using it for fire wood?
  • Just read today that more than 40% of the world's population does not have access to sanitation facilities. You know, toilets!

That means untold tons of "stuff" are being deposited behind bushes, trees, rocks, etc., etc......

No wonder it seems like we are knee deep in our own shit.......
  • edited November 2011
    That means untold tons of "stuff" are being deposited behind bushes, trees, rocks, etc., etc.....
    This is why there are cholera outbreaks periodically, and masses of people die.
    My question is: We know we're running out of oil with very few alternatives. We know we're running out of fresh water and as optimistic as we want to be, the chances are that human extinction may well occur within the next 100 years, and we all know these this. Even if you don't believe it, the chances of it being true are there and undeniable. So why would you want kids?
    I agree. Why would you want to stick kids with a world that's going down the drain? Or up in smoke may be more like it. It seems selfish. No one cares what the kids are going to have to deal with. Or they have the hope that the next generation will miraculously come up with a solution. Global warming was first predicted and warned about back in the late 1960's, IIRC. Subsequent generations haven't solved the problem. What's the likelihood that the next one will pull the bunny out of the hat?

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I watched the the 1980's film War Games last night ( with a very young Mathew Broderick ). My 9 year old son loves the 1980's movies - his fav's are the Back to the Futures ... anyway, despite the fashion and the ohhh remember Tab moments, I also had thoughts of how we don't seem to have worked out much despite all of our developments in technology since that time.
    Just read today that more than 40% of the world's population does not have access to sanitation facilities. You know, toilets!

That means untold tons of "stuff" are being deposited behind bushes, trees, rocks, etc., etc......

No wonder it seems like we are knee deep in our own shit.......
    Wow! That is crazy!:(
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I'm sure it's something that goes deeper, but I tend to feel angry at people's apparent lack of consideration for world population when they decide to have (another?) baby and think that having baby is a right. I'm even annoyed seeing mothers with young babies. :hiding:
  • I'm sure it's something that goes deeper, but I tend to feel angry at people's apparent lack of consideration for world population when they decide to have (another?) baby and think that having baby is a right. I'm even annoyed seeing mothers with young babies. :hiding:
    Yes, there's nothing more annoying than seeing a mother holding her new born child. There is no hope for our future with sll these babies popping up.

Of course

With Metta

Well I'm glad you feel that way, @Bodha8. Maybe not all hope is lost, after all! :skeptic:
    edited November 2011
    Personal feeling aside, rationally speaking I think the governments should put in place programmes encouraging people not to have large families.

For example, in some "developed" countries (like the UK) there are high levels of obesity. The government has decided it would be good to encourage people to eat more healthily, so you have your 5-a day etc. Why can't they encourage people to have less babies? There are already some NGOs that speak about it, like this one encouraging people to "stop at two". Why can't it be an official policy?
  • Hey, why can't we just encourage the fat people to eat all the babies?? Kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak.
  • Its not just the birth rate. Its modern medicine extending life. So how many of us are going to volunteer to be put to sleep when we are at a certain age?
    I'm glad you have so many constructive comments to add to this discussion, @Bodha8.

And yes, many people would like to be able to choose when and how they die, while modern medicine would have them hooked up to life-supporting tubes for much longer than they would like. But this is entirely different topic.
  • But this is entirely different topic.
    Not necessarily. People are living too long.
  • Its not just the birth rate. Its modern medicine extending life. So how many of us are going to volunteer to be put to sleep when we are at a certain age?
    That is an excellent question Jeffrey, how many of us would volunteer. I don't think I see Sattvapaul's hand going up. Perhaps if we were to abort some babies we could stay around longer. I'm sure there must be a final solution to all of these annoying mothers and babies.
    edited November 2011
    No I wouldn't volunteer. I was just thinking aloud. Summoning nazi concepts is not helpful. Maybe you could contribute something to the discussion, rather than picking up on my (unwise) disclosure of my feelings earlier on, which I am trying to put aside to engage in serious discussion. And btw, I am generally anti-abortion and anti-euthanasia.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited November 2011
    @sattvapaul my mother told me once that she only had two children because she didn't want to contribute to the overpopulation of the world. she said my sister and i would replace herself and my father when they passed. i plan to one-up her and adopt. i don't think there's anything wrong with being conscious of self-imposed population control. i don't get why people make it seem like such a horrible thing to talk about.

i sometimes feel bad just because i have two cats and it's a struggle to make sure that i provide the both of them with the same amount of love so one doesn't feel slighted(i'm sure this part is in my head, lol). i can't imagine having a ton of children and dividing my attention fairly, to be honest... i even feel this way about my aunt who has a ton of animals... but i digress.
  • No I wouldn't volunteer. I was just thinking aloud. Summoning nazi concepts is not helpful. Maybe you could contribute something to the discussion, rather than picking up on my (unwise) disclosure of my feelings earlier on, which I am trying to put aside to engage in serious discussion. And btw, I am generally anti-abortion and anti-euthanasia.
    Well, it seems that the world population growth rate is actually slowing down. The good news for you is that AIDS and famine in Africa are killing people faster than they can reproduce. Yes, the experts agree that we should hit 9.1 B by 2050 and then begin to level out by the turn of the century.

Of course the possibility of influenza or a nuclear war may solve the problem before then, but the sky is not falling just yet. Don't worry, nature will find a way, it always does.

That's my contribution. Keep your pants on.

Namaste

• There you have it folks: "keep your pants on". Words to live by.
  • Actually the birth rate and population in Europe and parts of (highly developed) Asia are far below replacement level and their populations are falling. I believe Russia has the lowest (they actually have a national conception day and if you have a baby 9 months later the government helps pay for alot of the things babies need). The only (highly) developed countries that I can think of that have birth rates higher than the replacement level and have a growing population are the US and Canada. But that is mostly because of the high levels of immigration. Based on current trends the worlds population may peak at 10 billion but then drop down to around 8 or 9 where it will stay pretty stable. Also living longer is helping keep the population down since if you know that the baby will actually survive you will have less since otherwise it would have died and you would of had another baby.
    I would volunteer to go first. Not a big deal.
  • @sattvapaul and @Bodha8 - tell you what, I'll poison myself, my husband and my 2 kids immediately. Would that make you happy?