Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seems Like a Scam to Me!

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited October 2011 in General Banter
Don't ya think? :)

Comments

• na what are you on about, that is authentic and should be trusted with 100% :) Ryan Sieman the zen master
  • show up wearing all green and green glasses and a top hat. :vimp:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2011
    wow, do you think he put up the message himself?

on a side note, i did a google search and found nothing for "ryan sieman" now i know it's a scam... all enlightened masters have AT LEAST a few books out or a webpage or something, duh.
  • I'm waiting for ryan sieman the breakfast cereal.. Just kidding. my sense of humor
  • Does anyone know where this "Cloud Top Tibetan Monastery" is? I don't get a single hit with google, and that's very unusual.
  • i'm confused why a tibetan monastery is hosting a zen master. ah maybe a visitation?!

you can never know until you yourself awaken.
  • 2 words, action figure
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited October 2011
    My friend bought me a ticket to the place for my birthday. Should I even go or should I return the ticket?
  • That ticket seems all over the map. one financial number one place, another in another, and then a 3rd different one. This almost seems like a gag gift or something. I think before I determined whether to give the ticket back I'd ask your friend how much was paid if any -- a scandalous thing to do but given the circumstances it might be prudent.

That sign also seems fishy. Why would they need to say this reverend abbot is a real enlightened zen master? wouldn't saying he's a zen master be sufficient, particularly given that we buddhists are free thinkers anyway and therefore would likely follow the buddha's advice for self-knowledge thereby "judging" his words on their own merits? The sign itself seems almost sensationalized on purpose --a definite red flag.

I could probably add more to try and winnow this out, but I would then be delving purely into conjecture based on previous experience. It definitely seems off; I agree.
  • P.S.

Why is there no street address on either the temple sign or the ticket?

Granted, I can understand not putting a street address on a temple sign in the front yard of the temple itself, but why not on the ticket? If they truly wanted people to come see this guy or at the very least visit the temple, you would think they would put the address on the ticket so folks could find them.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    "make your own concert ticket"
    http://www.says-it.com/concertticket/ticket3.php

:hair:
  • hmm... I was going to say, "go ahead and check it out, it couldn't hurt". But after reading Nanimo's post, and taking a good look at the ticket, and everything, I'm having second thoughts. It says $199 was the ticket price. How likely is that? That a friend could afford to gift a ticket like that?

There's another issue here. It was a birthday gift. What if the friend is offended that you don't go? Or that you accuse him/her of gifting you a scam gift. How good a friend is this, someone you can talk to honestly?

I think your friend meant the best for you. He/she clearly knows you've been interested in Zen. It's the thought that counts. Your friend doesn't have as good a scam alert radar as you do, that's all. :s
  • My friend bought me a ticket to the place for my birthday. Should I even go or should I return the ticket?
    Open mind, beginners mind. That's the ticket.
  • Where is this place supposed to be? If you have a ticket, then you must know where the temple is. There is no "Cloud Top Monastery" listed anywhere on the internet. As for going, it never hurts to see what anyone has to say but the way it's being advertised is so strange, and the person supposed to give the talk unknown, that we have to suspect this is a gag.
  • lol, if you merely look at the ticket you have to be pretty certain it is a gag or fake or something alone those lines. The price for a start, 'ECT1111'....

You mentioned it was for your birthday, maybe this was a gag and they actually have a surprise to follow it, who knows. I would just go along with it if it was me personally and see what is what :) GL
    edited November 2011
    lol I made this up. It was a Halloween trick. Happy 1 day after Halloween! :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited November 2011
    That's the ticket! If you could make this up, just imagine how much other 'true' stuff you could make up ... and then wonder whether the 'true' stuff and the 'fake' stuff are any more capable of absolving students from finding out for themselves.

Good one!
    If you could make this up, just imagine how much other 'true' stuff you could make up ... and then wonder whether the 'true' stuff and the 'fake' stuff are any more capable of absolving students from finding out for themselves.
    Huh?
  • lol, let the guy have his moment jeez. Most of us knew it was not right, and he is of the younger generation so to speak of the forum, so he will pull cool pranks. Funny MG, and it is a prank that is all, no need to read into it anymore than that... It is not as if your prank is to infect millions of people with smallpox or something, that would suck, my parents are vaccinated but I am not :(
    edited November 2011
    Was Genkaku saying something negative? I really didn't understand him at all.
    edited November 2011
    Was Genkaku saying something negative? I really didn't understand him at all.

Not negative at all. I apologize for writing it poorly but what I intended to indicate was that if someone can make up something as wonderfully false as the OP, just think how much stuff we make up under the guise of its being true... and then consider whether true and false are more important than the fact that we make them up in the first place.

For example: Freedom -- true or false?
    For example: Love -- true or false?
    For example: Buddhism -- true or false?

Watch your step! :)
  • lol I made this up. It was a Halloween trick. Happy 1 day after Halloween! :)
    I think you may have Halloween mixed up with April Fools Day. Anyway, it's a fun thing. That's why it's so important that we always have freedom of expression and Speech on this site.

Namaste
  • How did you make that fake temple sign? That's what really threw me.

• Sorry, but you can't have an enlightened master called 'Ryan'. That just doesn't sound right!
    Sorry, but you can't have an enlightened master called 'Ryan'. That just doesn't sound right!
    Yes, but they call him His Holiness Jhanabhaktimahakasyapathingsthatgobumpinthenight for short. :)

Sorry, but you can't have an enlightened master called 'Ryan'. That just doesn't sound right!
    Yes, but they call him His Holiness Jhanabhaktimahakasyapathingsthatgobumpinthenight for short. :)

LOL! Good one, Genkaku. :)
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Hahaha this has been a fun thread to read whilst waiting at the doctor's surgery!
  • lol, yes. Is it cancer or is it merely the flu :p Nice joke though mindgate, next time try to make it a little more believable with the facts etc :)