Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Transexualism

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited October 2011 in Philosophy
What do you think would be the Buddhist stance on transexual or genderqueer people? Is it wrong to pursue change in one's body/form in order to match one's natural gender?

I know that such a change would be obviously impermanent, and there is no "self" in either one's form or sense of gender. I'm just curious what you folks think.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I can't speak for other buddhists, but I think that is a personal choice. I would say to keep in mind that notion of a natural gender is a feeling. It could be fulfilling to satisfy it. Remember there are just feelings not 'good' and 'bad' feelings. So from my standpoint I could have respect for that choice. Hmmm just make sure you don't think a different gender is 'the' escape from samsara. I think I feel more judgemental in groups. I mean I am willing to stand up for people, but I do have a twinge of machismo going along with laughing ridiculing I noticed in a bar setting talking about a professor who went transgender at our university.
  • I think these situations didn't arise when Buddhist theory was worked out. Back when Buddhist ethics were worked out, the news wasn't good for unconventionally-gendered people. So I would say, it's not relevant in a radically changed time. The best thing is to follow the path of compassion, toward self and others.
  • Theres actually an Indian transexual cast in modern times. I read about it in John Irvings book Son of the Circus.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited October 2011
    My opinion: In a strictly Buddhist sense, I think, like many things are, it would be a form of attachment to want to/go through with getting a sex change. Just think - would a monk or even the Buddha have gotten a sex change if they believe they were born in the wrong body? Chances are, no, they wouldn't. Of course, its not a sin or anything like in Christianity - but a form of attachment none-the-less (I believe this specific topic falls into the category of wrong view. For example, it would involve believing that there is a static "you" which was "born" into the "wrong" body).

But, as Jeffrey said, its a personal choice and its up to the person how far they want to go.
  • There are also a couple of websites for gay Tibetans. They watch the DL's statements on that topic like hawks. I think the core of Buddhism is how you treat others, and wise compassion and insight toward oneself.
  • I think it's correct to call it "natural gender." Gender is a mental formation, particularly it is an inclination. Mental formations are an aggregate and their nature and signs are determined by former actions, thoughts, and words. So one's gender dysphoria is the fruition of karma just like every other formation.

So what is born is not a "self into the wrong body." Instead, what is born are the aggregates, specifcally the form aggregate and mental formations aggregate are inconguent and a dysphoria occurs wherein the "person" feels like they have been born the wrong sex.

To me it's like if a child is born with a cleft lip or is intersex or disabled. There is no judgement against those who would pursue modern scientific and medical advancements in order to remedy these disorders. I think it's the same for transexual people. The dysphoria is a serious source of suffering and discontent which can be eased through the use of hormone replacement therapy and in some cases reassignment surgery.

Just think, 1/3 transexual people commit or have tried to commit suicide. And some 95% of transexual people feel more confident and happy about their bodies and minds after transitioning.
  • Clearly, you've put a lot of thought into this. The part I left out of my post is what you address here: the suffering, which can be relieved by the surgery. Since I'm not knowledgeable enough about it, and know nothing of what you're experiencing, I chose to post on compassion.

I knew a grad student who was doing research on the topic, mainly of Native LGBT people, and he always referred to it as "Third Gender" or "Two-Spirits" people. He had a lot of prestigious universities offering him scholarships for his "Third Gender Studies" research. That was a long time ago. I gladly stand corrected if there is another term that is current.
  • Talisman I am with you on your analysis of natural gender. I just used the word feeling instead of formation. A different word does not invalidate what you have clearly stated.

I will say it is difficult to deal with stigma. I always like the question: what do you do for a living? "oh I don't work, I have schizoaffective disorde". It isn't hard for me anymore because the truth is the truth and people kind of adjust to your truth. But for awhile it was hard to switch identities (from a university graduate student).
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2011
    i always feel like issues regarding trans/gender queer individuals sound much different when you look at them from the outside vs. actually sitting down and having a conversation with a trans person. i frequently stay out of these conversations because despite my interactions with trans people, i cannot even fathom what it must be like.

one of my exes now identifies as a man and i would never dream of telling him he cannot express himself in the way that he feels fit. i think the biggest issue is that it's hard to understand, but most trans/gq individuals will tell you that it is not a choice. being a lesbian, i can at least understand the way in which language fails us on these topics. you can never really put yourself in another's shoes, no matter how much you'd like to.

i suppose, if you want to think about the body modification aspect... could it really be any different than tattoos or piercings? or even working out...? (not for health reasons, but aesthetic reasons) isn't the root of all of these things the same? to make one's body more acceptable to ourselves?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011

I know that such a change would be obviously impermanent, and there is no "self" in either one's form or sense of gender. I'm just curious what you folks think.
    j Tal, I'm not sure what you mean by a surgical change would be impermanent. I think it's permanent. It's the sense of self that's impermanent, always changing and evolving. The Buddha never taught "no-self"; on the contrary, he taught that "no-self' was nihilism. The concept of a fixed, unchanging self was "eternalism". The Buddha taught the middle way between both; that the self is always changing, and we can direct that change with our choices. Just like you're doing. And like we all did by choosing to follow the Dharma. Do what's best for you. Let us know how it all works out. For the best, I hope. :)

• My best guess is the Buddha would have refused to make a broad sweeping comment, like he did on many 'hot topic' items that were not directly relevant to the liberating path.

• @dakini
    I meant it is impermanent in the sense that I have not gone beyond death, and the body/form which I change is subject to illness, decay, and death.

If I had SRS it most definitely would be "permanent" lol
  • My personal opinion, is the what gender you choose to identify with (re: who you have relationships with, how you dress) doesn't matter at all as far as buddhism and spiritual progression goes... But that surgery and physically switching gender through castration and exogenous hormone supplementation may be unskillful because it puts you at a serious risk for health problems.

• For a lot of people, the risk is well worth the reward.
  • That doesn't necessarily make it skillful as it related to buddhist practice.
  • Any surgery is to be undertaken cautiously, all surgeries involve risk. Anesthesia involves risk. I think we can trust Tal to be responsible in his choices. Best of luck, Tal!
  • Going from male to female would get rid of one attachment...
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited October 2011
    For those who are inclined to take rebirth seriously - I think there have been some cases reported when a person would be reborn as opposite sex to the one they were in previous lifetime, and have strong feelings that they are in the "wrong" body.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2011
    The only way I can explain it, is to relate what I discussed with my step-son:

"You're a boy, right? You're happy being a boy, yeah?" (yeah....)
    "You are completely, utterly and totally convinced you are a 100% bona-fide male, yes?" (yes....)
    "You dress like a boy, you have interests compatible with those of most boys, you feel like a boy, and you know, absolutely, that you are a boy, yes?" (...right....)
    "100% convinced?" (yup!)
    "Sure about that?" (YES!!)
    "Really?" (*sigh* yeees...)
    "No way I can dissuade you?" (nope...)

"Ok. Now hold on to all of that - but imagine, every time you look in a mirror, you see a female. Long hair, breasts - the whole shebang.
    completely, totally female.
    That's what it's like to be a transsexual, who's in the 'wrong body'."

He was completely gobsmacked.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The Body will die within 100 or so years, If people wish to change gender thats their own choice if they are capable of paying for this transformation their selves then I wouldnt stop them. :)
  • @federica
    That made me tear up a little
  • Is it wrong to get a haircut or apply make-up? Of course not.

There's no (fundamental) difference.
  • You know this is a really interesting discussion for me as a heterosexual because I see it as an example of sexual repression/liberation. I've joined in a couple of discussions on these forums about that and the responses by others were often compassionate but others were emphatically for the idea that sex and sexual desire was an attachment that, most especially as an ordained priest, was to be liberated.

Now my view on buddhism is that it is an experiential exercise where we look inside ourselves and find the truth for ourselves. Obviously guidance from the teachings through satsang & masters etc is helpful. So bear with me as I use your dilemma to help me to come to a skillful solution for myself :)

I have always had a strong sex drive and have struggled with finding peace in myself when I have lived with partners who werent as strongly driven to physical intimacy. Meditation has been a means for me to explore this fully, seeing immense anger inside of me for 'having to repress' these feelings.

For me the answer for whether to work to liberate myself from this attachment (if thats what it is), is based on the answer to what is an 'acceptable' motivation for action in life and what is an attachment that should be liberated through meditation and other skilful actions.

The conclusion that I'm coming to is that there is no dividing line in answer to this or any other question of right & wrong. The truth is the truth inside each and every one of us and its different for each person. This came to me by comparing it to the question of where do I end and you begin? There is no clear line of distinction...

My personal answer is resolving itself into embracing my sexuality and from that basis I encourage you to enjoy yours :)
  • Very interesting Arn
  • @arn
    I understand wat ur saying but keep in mind that sexuality and gender are distinct phenomena.
  • 'Gender' is a trendy, PC word. It's sex people: as in, the male & female sexes.
  • @daozen
    Sex is ones bodily form, and gender is identification as male, female, or otherwise
    They r not interchangable
  • "Suppose, monks, that in a forested wilderness there were a large low-lying marsh, in dependence on which there lived a large herd of deer; and a certain man were to appear, not desiring their benefit, not desiring their welfare, not desiring their rest from bondage. He would close off the safe, restful path that led to their rapture, and would open up a false path, set out a male decoy, place a female decoy, and thus the large herd of deer, at a later time, would fall into ruin & disaster. Then suppose that a certain man were to appear to that same large herd of deer, desiring their benefit, desiring their welfare, desiring their rest from bondage. He would open up the safe, restful path that led to their rapture, would close off the false path, take away the male decoy, destroy the female decoy, and thus the large herd of deer, at a later time, would come into growth, increase, & abundance.

"I have given this simile in order to convey a meaning. The meaning is this: 'The large, low-lying marsh' is a term for sensual pleasures. 'The large herd of deer' is a term for beings. 'The man not desiring their benefit, not desiring their welfare, not desiring their rest from bondage' is a term for Mara, the Evil One. 'The false path' is a term for the eightfold wrong path, i.e., wrong view, wrong resolve, wrong speech, wrong action, wrong livelihood, wrong effort, wrong mindfulness, & wrong concentration. 'The male decoy' is a term for passion & delight. 'The female decoy' is a term for ignorance. 'The man desiring their benefit, desiring their welfare, desiring their rest from bondage' is a term for the Tathagata, the Worthy One, the Rightly Self-awakened One. 'The safe, restful path that led to their rapture' is a term for the noble eightfold path, i.e., right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, & right concentration.

"So, monks, I have opened up the safe, restful path, closed off the false path, removed the male decoy, destroyed the female. Whatever a teacher should do — seeking the welfare of his disciples, out of sympathy for them — that have I done for you. Over there are the roots of trees; over there, empty dwellings. Practice jhana, monks. Don't be heedless. Don't later fall into regret. This is our message to you."

from Two Sorts of Thinking
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.019.than.html

to exchange them is not the way *smile*
  • I honestly don't see how this analogy applies to the discussion at hand
  • You like to be somebody/something, or do you like to get rid of this problem? *smile*
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Is it wrong to get a haircut or apply make-up? Of course not.

There's no (fundamental) difference.
    If its perfectly acceptable, then why does the Buddha not allow monks to wear make-up?
  • You could start to love them *smile* but maybe it's because in earlier times they need to use animal and plant life to produce such thing. Not like today where we can buy it in the supermarket.
  • Lol I am not a monk and make no claims to be, I am a layperson ... as r u .. I can wear all the make up I want when I'm not observing uposatha
  • So you have a very great life of freedom without any limitations. Great this possibility of choice *smile*
  • @arn
    I understand wat ur saying but keep in mind that sexuality and gender are distinct phenomena.
    Hmm, OK, I can see that. Still as a question of 'what should I do' I still think my solution applies. That is, I (currently) believe that you have to find your own truth.

However I do think that that inner realisation (of what to do) should come from a non-attachment perspective. If I were to chase sexual fulfillment "because I've never had enough", or someone were to chase their gender goals "because I've always been repressed" then the choice is already certain and not necessarily based on good karma/skill/etc.
  • Just re-read that and I see a trap. And that is in expecting something specific from my persuit of sexual fullfilment. One of my favourite quotes at the moment is "happiness is not the goal, it is the journey!". My intent in following the buddhist philosophy is to live this life in love in every moment, rather than as a struggle after something that may never be achieved.

So let me refine my advice (to us both) yet again: find your own path based on non-attachment to any history, and live that path with non-attachment to any future! <3
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Saññoga Sutta: Bondage

"I will teach you a Dhamma discourse on bondage & lack of bondage. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"Yes, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said: "A woman attends inwardly to her feminine faculties, her feminine gestures, her feminine manners, feminine poise, feminine desires, feminine voice, feminine charms. She is excited by that, delighted by that. Being excited & delighted by that, she attends outwardly to masculine faculties, masculine gestures, masculine manners, masculine poise, masculine desires, masculine voices, masculine charms. She is excited by that, delighted by that. Being excited & delighted by that, she wants to be bonded to what is outside her, wants whatever pleasure & happiness that arise based on that bond. Delighting, caught up in her femininity, a woman goes into bondage with reference to men. This is how a woman does not transcend her femininity.

"A man attends inwardly to his masculine faculties, masculine gestures, masculine manners, masculine poise, masculine desires, masculine voice, masculine charms. He is excited by that, delighted by that. Being excited & delighted by that, he attends outwardly to feminine faculties, feminine gestures, feminine manners, feminine poise, feminine desires, feminine voices, feminine charms. He is excited by that, delighted by that. Being excited & delighted by that, he wants to be bonded to what is outside him, wants whatever pleasure & happiness that arise based on that bond. Delighting, caught up in his masculinity, a man goes into bondage with reference to women. This is how a man does not transcend his masculinity.

"And how is there lack of bondage? A woman does not attend inwardly to her feminine faculties... feminine charms. She is not excited by that, not delighted by that... does not attend outwardly to masculine faculties... masculine charms. She is not excited by that, not delighted by that... does not want to be bonded to what is outside her, does not want whatever pleasure & happiness that arise based on that bond. Not delighting, not caught up in her femininity, a woman does not go into bondage with reference to men. This is how a woman transcends her femininity.

"A man does not attend inwardly to his masculine faculties... masculine charms. He is not excited by that, not delighted by that... does not attend outwardly to feminine faculties... feminine charms. He is not excited by that, not delighted by that... does not want to be bonded to what is outside him, does not want whatever pleasure & happiness that arise based on that bond. Not delighting, not caught up in his masculinity, a man does not go into bondage with reference to women. This is how a man transcends his masculinity.

"This is how there is lack of bondage. And this is the Dhamma discourse on bondage & lack of bondage."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an07/an07.048.than.html

*smile*
    Its important to stay where and what you are (now), otherwise this sutta could be quite confusing.
  • The buddha was surely wise and all knowing blessed r we to be born in time where his instruction rings true
  • Its up to ones own will, moment for moment. *smile*
  • Trying to apply the teachings that the buddha specifically directed to aryas to a lay person is truly unskillful the buddha taught laypeople the precepts and refuge and that alone is hard enough to follow find love
  • edited November 2011
    My opinion: In a strictly Buddhist sense, I think, like many things are, it would be a form of attachment to want to/go through with getting a sex change. Just think - would a monk or even the Buddha have gotten a sex change if they believe they were born in the wrong body? Chances are, no, they wouldn't. Of course, its not a sin or anything like in Christianity - but a form of attachment none-the-less (I believe this specific topic falls into the category of wrong view. For example, it would involve believing that there is a static "you" which was "born" into the "wrong" body).

But, as Jeffrey said, its a personal choice and its up to the person how far they want to go.
    @MindGate, how do you know that there are not monks or nuns NOT transgender/transsexual? Have you lifted their robes? Even if you had you might not have known. Transsexual people move through life every day and you would not (always) know. Not all monastics start their life that way, and those that have are likely so sheltered that they would not even know such things existed.

Those that come into Buddhism later could still go through the process and get by quite well, undetected even. Some are open about it, and are accepted, just as gays are...btw many trans people are not gay either, despite that they are lumped into the LGBT box.

Many cultures accept such differences, the ladyboys of Asia, the Hawaiians, and so on. America (not nec. including Hawaii) is particularly close-minded and hateful on this topic, even though it's not new. Billy Tipton, a famous musician was discovered to have actually been a woman upon death. One of many.

Countries like Canada and the UK actually pay for SRS/hormones for their citizens. So I imagine their trans suicide rates are far less than US trans suicide rates are. We have a lot of catching up to do with the rest of the world on equal health rights, period.

@ZombieGirl, SRS is far different from tattoos and piercings, they are meant for decoration mostly - not always, such as post surgical tattooing. SRS is part of a psychological and physiological process to match ones outer self with ones inner self. As @Federica explained it's what that person sees themselves in the mirror as...usually from a very young age.

@Arn, transgenderism/transsexuality is not about ones sexuality (whom they are attracted to), or even sex for that matter. See my comment about about how people of trans experience are lumped in with the gay community. True, some are gay, that is attracted to the same sex even after having transitioned, but that is not always the case. I know a male to female transsexual who is in a lesbian relationship...with a Buddhist,incidentally. I know yet another who is straight, very sexy, and has many male admirers, most of whom have no idea she was not a "factory direct" woman.

The face that the media puts on the community is most often that of male to female, so that is what we mainly associate with, however now there is Chaz Bono who is sort of the face of the female to male. It's not easy being him, yet he forges on in the face of ignorance and hate with a radiant smile. Brave man.

So, in answer to @Talisman 's query, like anyone else compassion is the word. Even if you do not understand or agree, know that they are suffering until such time as they can do what they need to be right in their skin. NO, it's not going to make samsara go away, any more than being born in a factory direct body would, but it lessens the load some.

@Talisman, it would appear that you are very knowledgeable about this topic, and are also giving serious consideration to your Buddhism as well. Where the twain shall meet for you I do not know, however if it means having you around, alive, that's what counts. You will still be you, no matter what you look like, the heart does not change. I, for one, like *you*, sight unseen, and what you look like is of no concern to me.

Of course, you know what I look like :::laughs:::
  • @hubris
    Your words made my day :) I changed my profile pic 4 now so get a good look cuz the next time u see this beautiful face it will be a world of difference :P
  • Lol scratch that no pic upload on mobile check back tmrow lol
  • @hubris
    Your words made my day :) I changed my profile pic 4 now so get a good look cuz the next time u see this beautiful face it will be a world of difference :P
    Awesome! I am looking forward to that...I can feel you smiling. Feel free to PM me anytime.
    :clap:

ps: @Lincoln, can we get a hug emoticon? Kthanksbye :bowdown:
  • Can we just be clear that Gender Identity Disorder is nothing to do with sexuality. A lot of transsexual people are actually asexual, in the sense that they have no or little sexual desire (the artificial hormones for male to female transition don't do a lot to help that either). Others are gay, bi or straight, in their birth gender or acquired gender.

Gender Identity Disorder is a medical condition, thought to be caused by difference in the development of certain structures in the brain (structures which determine a person's gender identity). It is as if the brain has a map to the body, knowing where the parts are etc. but in a transsexual person, the map doesn't map to the correct body: it maps to one of the opposite gender. Hence the feeling of being "trapped in the wrong body".

We make a mistake if we, as non-transsexual people, interpret these words as just a bad feeling about our body, like feeling your nose is too big, or feeling your waist is too fat. I am given to understand that it is more a deep feeling of "wrongness", like Phantom Limb Syndrome in an amputee. The brain is telling the person they are one way, but the reality is quite another. It is deeply disturbing - suicide attempts are not uncommon. The feeling is that intolerable.

This is a medical condition, and if the person is really suffering from GID, the only treatment that has been shown to work is Gender Reassignment aka 'sex change'. However, not everyone who has gender dysphoria (= "unhappiness with ones gender") actually has GID. Some people are 'genderqueer' or intersex, or different in some way, and don't really have a strong identity with either gender. That's OK too. That is why counselling and psychiatric support is essential, followed by at least a year of living "in role", before taking the irreversible step of hormones and surgeries to change the outward appearance.

Having medical treatment to relieve the suffering caused by GID is not incompatible with Buddhism than taking antibiotics to treat an infection. The only controversy IMHO is that people don't understand transsexualism and make all sorts of assumptions about it.
  • @Ada_b
    Good synopsis. You have a good understanding of how it feels. It's like you're walking around in a costume that you can't take off.

@Hubris
    Here's a recent photo of me. I look kind of silly in it, sorry. :P
  • Can we just be clear that Gender Identity Disorder is nothing to do with sexuality. A lot of transsexual people are actually asexual, in the sense that they have no or little sexual desire (the artificial hormones for male to female transition don't do a lot to help that either). Others are gay, bi or straight, in their birth gender or acquired gender.

Gender Identity Disorder is a medical condition, thought to be caused by difference in the development of certain structures in the brain (structures which determine a person's gender identity). It is as if the brain has a map to the body, knowing where the parts are etc. but in a transsexual person, the map doesn't map to the correct body: it maps to one of the opposite gender. Hence the feeling of being "trapped in the wrong body".

We make a mistake if we, as non-transsexual people, interpret these words as just a bad feeling about our body, like feeling your nose is too big, or feeling your waist is too fat. I am given to understand that it is more a deep feeling of "wrongness", like Phantom Limb Syndrome in an amputee. The brain is telling the person they are one way, but the reality is quite another. It is deeply disturbing - suicide attempts are not uncommon. The feeling is that intolerable.

This is a medical condition, and if the person is really suffering from GID, the only treatment that has been shown to work is Gender Reassignment aka 'sex change'. However, not everyone who has gender dysphoria (= "unhappiness with ones gender") actually has GID. Some people are 'genderqueer' or intersex, or different in some way, and don't really have a strong identity with either gender. That's OK too. That is why counselling and psychiatric support is essential, followed by at least a year of living "in role", before taking the irreversible step of hormones and surgeries to change the outward appearance.

Having medical treatment to relieve the suffering caused by GID is not incompatible with Buddhism than taking antibiotics to treat an infection. The only controversy IMHO is that people don't understand transsexualism and make all sorts of assumptions about it.
    @AdaB thank you for further elaborating on what I stated previously, and much more eloquently I might add! One thing that caught my eye was your statement about Intersex people and dysphoria. Intersex people were formerly known as hermaphrodites, that is, possessing characteristics of both sexes in some fashion, there actually more subsets of this, however this is the term that most people relate to.

Not too long ago(within the past 40 years) doctors were making decisions for families of intersex children by performing surgeries and giving hormones at a very young age. Then puberty would hit (or even before), and they did in fact have dysphoria, a sense of not feeling right somehow. They were betrayed by the medical community because they were not given a choice to see how it would turn out before action was taken. Dr. John Money was one.

As far as living in role for a year goes, standards have changed. Practitioners are now operating under an informed consent model to treat trans patients. Google WPATH if you are interested, its a much more realistic model for trans patients seeking treatment.

One more thing, I would tend to disagree with you that trans people are often asexual, at least not the ones I know. There are many who are celibate, and that often has to do with the fact that they have not had the complete surgeries because they are prohibitively expensive, and not covered by insurances. So since there are people who are so judgmental and hateful it's hard for them to find partners that either understand, or on the flip side do not fetishize them thereby objectifying them. People place a lot of stock in what's between someone's legs.
  • @Talisman great picture! Thank you for posting it.

I hope this discussion is helping you some. @AdaB made an especially good point here:

"Having medical treatment to relieve the suffering caused by GID is not incompatible with Buddhism than taking antibiotics to treat an infection. The only controversy IMHO is that people don't understand transsexualism and make all sorts of assumptions about it."

• @MindGate I wouldn't characterize this as "attachment". There's so much more to it, as above posts indicate. Sometimes before deciding how to respond, we need to really study a topic to educate ourselves about the factors involved. Sometimes we simply need to recognize when we're not qualified to even post a response. And the fact is, as previously noted, this issue didn't exist in the Buddha's time. The Buddha wouldn't have denied people life-saving surgery, and surgery to address malfunctions in the body, if they were available. (Funny how we tend to have no qualms on this site about putting words in the Buddha's mouth, but based on his desire to help end suffering, I think I'm on fairly firm ground.) And our OP indicates that his condition causes tremendous suffering that can't be overcome with simple Dharma platitudes. So let's support him in the difficult decision he's in the process of making. Life is by no means easy. Scripture-quoting, no matter the religion, isn't always helpful. As he said on another thread, he's turned to us as his Sangha for guidance and support.

Given the Dalai Lama's take on gay issues, I'd say Buddhism is inadequate to address such matters. It has not evolved with the times, it's a doctrine that's frozen in time. Of course, the core teachings still work. But some of the later elaborations and "commentaries" (interpretations) of what people believe the Buddha said aren't helpful.