Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is This or That "Okay?"

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Now, before I start this thread, I'd like to point out that this is all my opinion and I'm not trying to enforce it with any iron fist or anything. I would just like to bring this subject to your attention. Please don't get offended or anything.
----

I've seen many, many posts asking if, "Is X okay according to Buddhism?" or "Is it okay to do X in Buddhism?"
Many of the times that these questions are asked, people tend to response with kind-hearted answers on how these things are okay to do. For example: applying make-up, getting a sex change, having frivolous sex, smoking, etc.

I have a few issues with this:
1) You must define what "okay" means.
2) You must determine whether it is okay to really do (what an enlightened being would do), or what is ok for just lay people.

Let me give you an example:
1) Is applying make-up okay in Buddhism?

In Buddhism, we'll define okay as "in accordance to the Buddha's teachings of the middle way and non-attachment."

Then people typically say stuff like, "yes, putting make-up on moderately is perfectly acceptable in Buddhism."

For a monk, what is said above in incorrect. The Buddha directly taught against monks wearing make-up with the 8th precept. Now, of course lay followers don't have to follow this precept. Thus, saying applying make-up if perfectly fine in Buddhism would be incorrect. It is only correct if you are speaking DIRECTLY about lay followers. An enlightened being, most likely, would not apply make-up. Same goes with having frivolous sex, getting a sex change, smoking, ect. All these things are perfectly fine for LAY followers, but not for anyone beyond that.

This is why people seem to not understand me when I say, "These things are not acceptable in Buddhism." They are okay... for lay followers, but for a Buddha? Probably not.

Comments

• MG, I admit I've sometimes answered those "is it ok" questions more from a perspective of compassion and common sense than from a somewhat Puritanical Buddhist perspective (self-adornment means clinging to self, etc.) If someone has serious acne, for example, I don't have the heart to tell them "the 8th Precept says no". So ... you caught me. And you're right about some things being fine for lay Buddhists, but not for monastics.
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Better ask you "good for what?"

It makes no sense for a dog, no sense for a woman, no sense for a Buddhist, no sense for a monk, no sense for a Buddha.
    You would get old, sick and die in any way. But it need others to be harmed as well.

If you like to die beautiful, maybe it makes sense. *smile*

"ok for what?"
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Good post, Hanzze. :)
  • these questions often confuse me as well. I am hesitant to tell anyone if an action is okay or not, I have so little information. For example I spent many years not coloring my hair (teens give you gray), wearing makeup or even very attractive clothes. Well I am a lay person and most of the time at work no one is looking at my inner being. So in my current position and in the last year my goal has been to dress so I can get on the floor with kids but so that anyone who walks in will know I am in charge. It works for people being in the building after school who shouldn't to have that air of authority, hence it seems to help me get my work done without causing a big ego boost that I have to be pretty.

So my question back may be 'why?', is there a reason that you need to consider things like makeup or frivolous sex in your life? Do you feel truly in your heart that you should be doing these things or is is a leftover from previous life choices that you are changing but are still not comfortable with? And if we are to above all trust our experience more than any teaching why are you asking?

That sounds a little harsh to my ears, but maybe what i would say in lieu of giving an actual answer.
  • Being embodied has its challenges. Society has expectations. They expect that the person in charge will look like a person in charge. So you play that game without getting attached to the props, that's my view.
  • My approach is usually to use the question as an opportunity to invite the person to look at the truth of the phenomena. "Ok" is such an interesting quality to examine... it seems like a skillful time to explain how buddhism's cultivation of acceptance of what people are is different than considering all actions as containing the qualities of liberation.

People grow when they feel like they're accepted as who they are, and therefore any changes they make are on their terms for results they wish for themselves... not because of rules, dogmatic need, or others' projections of what is best for them. Except maybe with children. :)

If someone asks if its ok to wear makeup in buddhism, what are they really asking? Is vanity lovable? Do they have to give up things they want? Is beauty an attachment? For many of us, I feel the practice becomes overcoming the habit of making solid formations surrounding what people should do, and keep our mind attuned with action and result just as Buddha did. That way people can become more alert to their life, without having to adopt another's set of moral rules.
  • ArnArn
    edited November 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the rules for monks were created by Buddha to maximise harmony within his "full time" disciples that had gathered in a group. Surely this is different from being a precept that should be followed in order to attain enlightenment?

So when you say

This is why people seem to not understand me when I say, "These things are not acceptable in Buddhism." They are okay... for lay followers, but for a Buddha? Probably not.
    perhaps you simply mean its not OK for a monk? Surely a buddha is free to do or not do as they chose?

For me, as a male lay buddhist living in a western society, perhaps putting on makeup would help me awaken to my attachment to the idea that men shouldnt wear makeup. For me, doing this may actually accelerate me along the path to enlightenment.

edit: @aMatt - I like that.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Good post @MindGate, I like your drift.

But your above statement is dealing with extremes.
    A Buddha would never consider the question, let alone care one way or the other, because such a question - for a Buddha - is a no brainer.
    As we don't get many Buddhas on this forum, the final part of your statement, is not relevant.

Your point that these things 'are not acceptable in Buddhism' is a sweeping statement. As we well know, the Buddha began most of his teachings with the word "Monks,....."
    You would therefore need to quantify your statement with the additional comment of ..."if you happen to be a Buddhist Monk or Nun."

And these people would never actually ask that question anyway...

We are not Monks. The high majority of us are laypeople, living ordinary lives, striving (and in my case habitually failing) to adhere to the main Buddhist principles taught to us, in every branch of Buddhism: The 4, the 8 and the 5. With a few, pertinent, pithy suttas thrown in....

Your above statement is fraught with confusion.

Ok is a 'middle-of-the-road' approval.
    It's neither absolutely acceptable, and nor is it a complete no-no.

So in fact, the answer to the question "Is it ok according to Buddhism, to...."
    Would be to seek the person's motivation in asking the question, and encourage them to examine their own particular attachment to the focus of their question.

In the matter of transsexualism, it's a far more complex issue than can really be discussed to any definitive conclusion, because it's a matter of brain-wiring...
    But in many other matters - make-up, tattoos, buying a more expensive car/house/yacht because you want one, or owning pets.... the motivation for such actions, would be the key.

So the answer to the question "Is it ok, according to Buddhism, to.....?"

would in all probability be another question:

"What's your motivation?"

• Okay @MindGate, we get that you are straight, and not into makeup, or considering a sex change. Was this post necessary to notify us of that under the guise of "Is it okay if?"

I can really feel from you distaste for the aforementioned things, even if you have not come right out and said it. It shows. Either be honest about it, or hide it better. Passive-aggressive posts are not productive to anyone but you.

Of course, that is just *my* opinion, and may not be that of others here, and while I was not particularly offended by your post either, it touched on other threads that are controversial, and ostensibly touched a nerve in you, otherwise those exact things would not have been used an example in this thread. Moving on.

Monastics have their rules, and layfolks have theirs, the latter being more open to interpretation since they are not "required" to live a monastic set of values in a non-monastic setting. No one is a Buddha, that is why its called "practice"...even Buddha would probably tell you he was not a Buddha. Practice does not just stop there.

Hair,bald head,makeup,none...whatever. I bet every day that you get dressed its not in a monk's robe,or a uniform. Does that mean you are probably not a Buddhist if you are not wearing a robe? If so, you'd best get rid of those new Nike's, t shirt that was from a concert you enjoyed, and those broken-in jeans. Buddha may not approve, in your opinion, as you said. Also, shave your head.

Yes, I am probably being unskillful in calling you out not-so-gently,however I like to keep it honest. It is not my intention to offend either, I feel that everyone has a right to their views; right, wrong or in between.

That said, keep in mind this is a forum for New Buddhists, and not necessarily seasoned veterans. So people asking questions are trying to learn, or even just decide if they want to pursue the path.

Sometimes semantics can be difficult to navigate without offending at least one person (because they can not see your body language nor hear the intent in your voice), so to expect someone to offer definitions when they may not know exactly what they need is asking a lot.

People are patient with you all the time on this forum, the least you can do is be patient with those who come after.
  • @MindGate, in some of the circumstances you mentioned, it isn't about whether it's "acceptable" but at what point these things become a hindrance to practice or awakening. (The makeup example is actually referring, I think, to a discussion I started about vanity and the way it hinders awakening.) We're not all awakened yet, and obviously we're not monastics. There's a lot of grey area for lay Buddhists about things that aren't specifically addressed in the five precepts. Striking a balance is difficult when you are setting up your own structure (lifestyle) based around certain principles (precepts).

• In the matter of transsexualism, it's a far more complex issue than can really be discussed to any definitive conclusion, because it's a matter of brain-wiring...
    I don't think this is doing justice to the potency of your idea. I feel there is definitive conclusion, as the brain is not hard wired for suffering. Becoming at peace with one's body is possible... independent of the body's form. In the absence of moral judgement or attachment, it becomes a matter no different than drinking tea with or without sugar. We accept that we have our preference, and we work to manifest the preference peacefully.

If we are female gendered and looking in the mirror at a male body, there is a great opportunity to learn who we are and become settled with reality. Then we can change our body if we wish, just as we can add sugar to our cup of tea if it is bitter to our taste. It becoming a bigger issue for us is a product (of social conditioning), not a an inherent cause of confusion.

If someone were to say to me "I notice your shoelace is untied" there would be no confusion, as the method of overcoming the issue is known to me. If one becomes settled with the truth of what their body is, then the process of reconciling the issue is similarly peaceful and wise.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Ok is a 'middle-of-the-road' approval.
    It's neither absolutely acceptable, and nor is it a complete no-no.

My teacher and his teacher responded in a similar manner when asked similar questions. He says "Not good, not bad. Don't worry, just keep practicing" :) Of course he taught mostly lay people and of course he would say some things are definitely bad (stealing, lying, etc.) and some things definitely good (practicing, helping others, etc.)

• A 'sex change' is a medical procedure (actually, several) which treats a medical condition (thought to be a difference in neurophysiology and is not psychological). A large number of people who go for a 'sex change' are actually intersex or have indeterminate gender, due to errors in their development in the womb.

IMHO it is highly inappropriate to put 'sex change' in the same category as wearing make-up. Unless the question is "Should I wear make up to cover up my disfigurement?" which I'm sure you'd agree, is a very different question to the more typical, trivial version.

"Should I have a sex change?" should be considered at the same level as "Should I have a kidney transplant?". I know the media make it out to be a trivial, lifestyle choice, but believe me, I know many, many trans people and not one of them considered it a choice (I'm not trans myself, but have many close friends who are).

Unfortunately, the Buddha was unaware of modern technology for gender reassignment. He was also unaware of organ transplants, IVF, vasectomies, antibiotics and DNA testing. So we cannot answer questions definitively. We can only consider each situation on its merits, and discuss the relative wisdom, or otherwise, of pursuing the treatment. Remembering, always, that unless we are the patient, we cannot possibly know what it feels like to have to make that choice.

As a side note, the correct term is "Gender Reassignment Surgery" although more properly it should be called 'Sex Reassignment Surgery', as it is dealing with the physical sex of a person, not their social gender.
  • I thought this was a discussion forum. Correct me if I am wrong.

The post that I recently made regarding transexuality was meant to be a discussion. When I am going through things in my life that are challenging or confusing or scary, I reach out to those I trust and love for guidance and support. Formally, this could be called taking refuge.

So if you are suggesting that my taking refuge in the closest thing to a Sangha that I've got would not be advisable by the Buddha, I have to say you are dead wrong.

If you can't come to an open Buddhist discussion forum and talk about real life things, then all that you end up with is a bunch of REBIRTH threads and people spouting suttas.
    edited November 2011
    Again, like most threads I make, you are NOT getting my point, and some of you are seeing this as a hate thread.

Wrong, sirs and ma'ams.

Let my try to explain what I am saying again.

"Is putting on make-up okay?"
    I'd say no, because its a hindrance - as shown through the 8th precept. If it wasn't a hindrance, why would their be a precept against it? This is what I am saying. It *is* a hindrance, like many things, so is this okay? Well, depending how far you actually want to go with Buddhism. Do you want to "just be happy" as a lay follower, or are you attempting to achieve enlightenment? If its the later, then you probably shouldn't do it. If you are not attempting to achieve enlightenment, then many of these things are okay. If you are, then many of these things are not.

Same goes for sex changes, I think. Now, I'll be honest with you guys and say I don't know much about this whole issue, but as I perceive it: its a wrong view to believe you a static "you" was "born" into the "wrong" body and that you should change this just to feel better about yourself. Again, is this okay? Well, depending how far you actually want to go with Buddhism. Do you want to "just be happy" as a lay follower, or are you attempting to achieve enlightenment? If its the later, then you probably shouldn't do it. Someone said it was a medical issue, though, but I have no idea about that. I know this is a touchy subject, much like homosexuality, but as I've said, I don't know much about it - so don't get all pissy with what I said like some of you are.

And again, its just my opinion. I'm not going to go all Westboro Baptist Church on you and tell you not to do stuff. You can do whatever you want - that's not up to me. You guys just ask, "Is so and so okay?" and I just tell you, "Depends on your definition of 'okay.'"

Is buying a big, fat cheese burger from McYucks okay in Buddhism? Probably not. What about wearing gold jewelry? Probably not. What about driving gas-guzzlings, fancy, expensive vehicles? Probably not. --- You see, I know these things are not really "good" according to Buddhism - although I'd do them anyways. But at least I know these are not "ultimately" good to do. I admit this to myself and don't pretend that its okay just for me because I am a lay follower. Just my opinion.
    edited November 2011
    And Hubris and some others, please, I'm tired of that "STOP BEING SELF-RIGHTEOUS, MINDGATE" crap. I'm not being self-righteous. You just perceive it this way. Also, I'm not against homosexuality, or sex changes, or any of that - honest. You have preconceived notions about me which are absolutely wrong. Get those out of your head, please. Its just getting upsetting and annoying.
  • i recall most of buddhism to be black and white. either there is suffer or there is no suffering.

that alone is your pointer to whether or not something is okay.

now whether or not one suffers is totally based on the individuals conditioning or karma. but ultimately it all comes down to clinging/ignorance.

so how do we determine anything?

examine the mindstate. investigate. causality and the three marks will become obvious. then wisdom, then the compassion to let go.

morality and ethics in buddhism function so that we can see clearly into that nature of mind and reality. in doing so we actively engage in emulating the buddha then eventually realizing the inherent morality of existence itself.

which was no different than the emulation. surprise, surprise.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    When one does what Buddhas do, one is a Buddha.
    When one does what Bodhisattvas do, one is a Bodhisattva.
    When one does what Arhats do, one is an Arhat.
    When one does what ghosts do, one is a ghost.
    These are all natural phenomena.
    There are no shortcuts in cultivation.
    Venerable Master Hsuan Hua

• I believe that when people ask 'is this OK?' regards some decision or other, what they are actually doing is thinking aloud. They're always going to reach the same conclusion whether they hear a bunch of other people's opinions about it or not...but asking the question, and receiving responses, kind of helps the mind to reach its destination faster. That's my experience, anyway.

I have yet to see anyone's mind be significantly *changed* by participating in online forums. What usually happens is that the views one holds when one starts a thread are simply reinforced by seeing that thread grow.
    I have yet to see anyone's mind be significantly *changed* by participating in online forums. What usually happens is that the views one holds when one starts a thread are simply reinforced by seeing that thread grow.
    :bowdown:
  • edited November 2011
    n/m

• I have yet to see anyone's mind be significantly *changed* by participating in online forums. What usually happens is that the views one holds when one starts a thread are simply reinforced by seeing that thread grow.
    I think this is an accurate assessment. @MindGate, maybe you're not intending to do it, but using previous examples of discussion threads tends to make this forum seem unsafe and critical of people who make these inquiries. (I'm talking about myself, here, and I think @Talisman might be referring to the same thing.) I think what you're suggesting is that folks be truthful and conservative in their answers to these questions, rather than OK'ing things that aren't strictly allowable in Buddhism.

I, for one, like to think of this forum as a place to process some rather conflicted thoughts. I've always been one to bounce my ideas off of people who may have some insight in to what I'm thinking.
    edited November 2011
    "I think what you're suggesting is that folks be truthful and conservative in their answers to these questions, rather than OK'ing things that aren't strictly allowable in Buddhism."

Exactly! :) When I give my truthful answers, people seem to come back in opposition as if they don't want to hear what I am saying (as if they are attached to their view and didn't want an answer in the first place). Or, sometimes people read too far into what I'm saying. So, naturally I come back in opposition of their opposition. Bad cycle.
  • Maybe you should focus on the individual more. The same advice will not work for everyone in that same situation, some people have to be told directly, blunt and sometimes 'harshly', other people need to be kind of lured into the realiy rather than it being shoved in their face.

As long as your intentions are positive and compassionate then you are doing okay-but to actually properly help the person in need, I guess you need a little background info to go along with.
    Ajahn Brahm once said when he was a new monk that a girl was brought to his temple as she was VERY insecure about her nose, it being too big and stuff. He tried approaching it at a scientific level saying that it was not the biggest nose he had seen nor the smallest. In that case, it did not help, but the INTENTION was there, that is very important.

He goes on to state that sometimes being compassionte means saying nothing at all, merely being there and listening, accepting hugs and tears, which is damn true. So I guess it varies in every case Mr Mind Gate :)
  • edited November 2011
    @Hubris MindGate is only using examples that have come up on this forum. (Of course he's not into make-up, he's a guy.) Please, all, don't read more into MG's question than is there.
    MG: the "ok" questions are clearly for lay people, since we're lay people, like Fed said. People are trying to live by the precepts, and by the not-ego-grasping principle, so they wonder: is using makeup to cover my blemishes ego-grasping? This is a good question. And that person got a wide variety of answers. In an ideal world, we would be accepted the way we are, in our natural state, but the world is far from ideal. So, then what do we do? For this, they seek guidance.

Personally, I don't always give the Buddhistically-correct answer. As Ada-B said, some of these issued didn't exist in the Buddha's time. Interpreting the Buddha's teachings narrowly isn't helpful in such a case. Wisdom and compassion should be our guide, IMO. That, too, is Buddhism. And aMatt made a good point about delving deeper into the reasons for the person's question in order to be truly helpful and provide an answer most relevant to the concerns motivating the question.
  • Well, some topics are fairly cut and dry. The question of whether or not to wear make-up is rather uncomplicated, but we can add tangents or make it more complicated if we want. The question of whether to get a sex change (gender reassignment?) involves an understanding that many of us do not possess inherently, if we feel comfortable in our bodies.

I think someone mentioned that scripture-quoting is not always helpful in every case. Coming to a forum such as NewBuddhist is a means of gaining perspective, of looking at issues in a different light; not simply as we would interpret it on our own. For myself, sometimes when making a serious decision (or deciding how serious the decision actually is) I like to discuss it first. Simple as that.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I can really feel from you distaste for the aforementioned things, even if you have not come right out and said it. It shows. Either be honest about it, or hide it better. Passive-aggressive posts are not productive to anyone but you.
    I don't understand how you read his comment like that. Maybe pay closer attention to your own assumptions rather than ragging on MG for what you think he meant.
  • And Hubris and some others, please, I'm tired of that "STOP BEING SELF-RIGHTEOUS, MINDGATE" crap. I'm not being self-righteous. You just perceive it this way. Also, I'm not against homosexuality, or sex changes, or any of that - honest. You have preconceived notions about me which are absolutely wrong. Get those out of your head, please. Its just getting upsetting and annoying.
    Sorry if you are upset @MindGate. Look at it this way:

Has it occurred to you that if you are getting such feedback from more than one person on a regular basis that perhaps you *are* coming across as self-righteous? Maybe it's not just us having preconceived notions.

Clearly you are an intelligent young man, who is seeking knowledge. We are offering that, and sometimes getting called out is a learning experience too. I offer you an anecdote:

When I was 18...long ago, I started hanging out in bars. I was having a great time for myself, too. There was this one particular bar I frequented, and I knew all the bartenders, and them me.

One day this bartender who was kind of churlish jumped my case, she said "you kids come in here, you're demanding, obnoxious, and you don't tip"...something along those lines. I was stunned. I felt guilty, because it never occurred to me that having fun was causing suffering for someone. Also, because no one ever told me, I had absolutely no idea I was supposed to tip my bartender. I was embarrassed, BUT you can rest assured that from that point on I did tip, probably overly much.

Years later I ran into her, and I said "you know, I would like to thank you." She looked at me sort of puzzled and I told her I was grateful for her admonishment, because I was completely naive as to bar etiquette, and in her doing so she made me a better person. Oddly enough, in her daytime life, she was a teacher. I never forgot that moment.

Also, as I mentioned, you specifically chose certain examples to enumerate in *this* thread, that are currently hot in others...ones that caused a visceral reaction in you, so of course it would lead one to think that you are addressing those things.

@AdaB I would like to suggest that the transsexual discussion be moved off this thread and back to the one that is already open.

@Talisman, yes, you are right.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Has it occurred to you that if you are getting such feedback from more than one person on a regular basis that perhaps you *are* [guilty of what you're being accused of]
    Ironic feedback, given my last comment.
  • This is getting heated. whew :dunce:
  • And Hubris and some others, please, I'm tired of that "STOP BEING SELF-RIGHTEOUS, MINDGATE" crap. I'm not being self-righteous. You just perceive it this way. Also, I'm not against homosexuality, or sex changes, or any of that - honest. You have preconceived notions about me which are absolutely wrong. Get those out of your head, please. Its just getting upsetting and annoying.
    If you don't know much about something then perhaps you shouldn't use it as an example in your discussion? I do know quite a lot about it and I also know that this is a sensitive issue, regarding a very vulnerable section of the community. Best avoid controversial issues you are ignorant of IMHO.
    edited November 2011
    If you don't know much about something then perhaps you shouldn't use it as an example in your discussion? I do know quite a lot about it and I also know that this is a sensitive issue, regarding a very vulnerable section of the community. Best avoid controversial issues you are ignorant of IMHO.
    I barely even touched on the subject in this thread. I just mentioned that there was a thread asking if it was okay. :skeptic:

In the other thread I just stated my opinion. I didn't tell anyone what to do or what not to do. They asked for advice/opinion, so I gave them mine.

This is what I said:

"My opinion: In a strictly Buddhist sense, I think, like many things are, it would be a form of attachment to want to/go through with getting a sex change. Just think - would a monk or even the Buddha have gotten a sex change if they believe they were born in the wrong body? Chances are, no, they wouldn't. Of course, its not a sin or anything like in Christianity - but a form of attachment none-the-less (I believe this specific topic falls into the category of wrong view. For example, it would involve believing that there is a static "you" which was "born" into the "wrong" body).

But, as Jeffrey said, its a personal choice and its up to the person how far they want to go."

C'mon now - you guys are going to attack me for saying THIS? I clearly stated it was my personal opinion, as uninformed as it is, and that I wasn't telling anyone what to do: its a personal choice.
  • Also, as I mentioned, you specifically chose certain examples to enumerate in *this* thread, that are currently hot in others...ones that caused a visceral reaction in you, so of course it would lead one to think that you are addressing those things.
    It might lead one to think that way (especially those with hubris :) ), certainly not all. I don't see him as giving moral absolutes, rather, examining skillful and unskillful ways of relating to people. That he uses current threads is more indicative of staying alert to common patterns, and is commendable.

Again, I feel the trap that mindgate might be stepping into is assuming that "is it ok" means "is it a quality of liberation." The goal of experienced practitioners isnt usually to give moral direction, however, but to help others become more alert... where decisions become less cloudy. When adults are told what to do, they often renounce any advice to preserve their autonomy.

Consider reading Lincoln's observations carefully, as they seem pretty well targetted... as well as a fair assesment of your tone.
    edited November 2011
    With this thread that I made, you should now better understand what I meant. (in regards to the whole transgendered thing)

Was I saying, "You can't do this."
    No.

What I saying, "Buddhism doesn't allow this."
    No.

I was saying that, like many other things (eating fatty cheeseburgers, having lots of frivolous sex, wearing extravagant things, etc), most likely it would be a hindrance to go ahead and have a sex change. How ***I*** see it is, if someone is uncomfortable with what body they have - the Buddha typically teaches just to accept things as how they are - and not to try and change them so much. Of course, its just my opinion and has no bearing on whether not you or any of you do. Same thing with eating sugary, fatty foods. Yes, they're bad for you, indulgent, and the process to get the meat causes suffering for the animals. This is not okay in Buddhism. - But I do it anyways. I'm not saying I'm above the teachings, trust me. I'm just saying what I perceive the teachings to actually be saying - but I am not telling you what you should do.

This is how these conversations seem to be going, which I think it needs to be stopped:

Person: "Do you think its a good idea to buy this really expensive, gas-guzzling car that I may not be able to pay off?"
    Me: "No. *gives reasons why not to buy the car*"
    Person: "Why would you say that?! You know nothing about cars or money you can't drive!"
    Me: "You asked for my opinion."
    Person: "You should be more compassionate!"

Of course, this is just an example and you can't really compare a sex change to buying a car accurately.
  • @MindGate If I wore a prosthetic leg because one of my legs was missing, would that be 'wrong view'? What if I was a woman who'd had a mastectomy and wore breast prosthesis? And if I were born with a cleft lip, should I just put up with it because having it repaired shows an attachment to my body?

We are all attached to our bodies - we all have a natural survival instinct and the desire to 'fit in' with other people. Fortunately most of us do not need heroic medical interventions to achieve it. Perhaps when we are enlightened, we will cease all attachment to the body, but that is not where most of us are.

In the meantime, this is about suffering and the relief of suffering. The reason I am criticising you for saying this (not attacking you) is that you are using an inappropriate example, about which you know nothing, in a way that is hurtful to people going through the problem. Just saying it's "personal opinion" does not make it OK, if your personal opinion is based on absolutely no knowledge or experience.

I do know people (good friends) for whom this is a deeply personal and important issue. They are sensitive and easily hurt, but I would never criticise people who are going through something I'll never have to go through, for how they deal with it. I just try to show compassion and remember that you cannot understand someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.
    edited November 2011
    No one on here said they wanted a sex change. They asked about for our opinions on a subject. I refuse to read into someone's posts more so than what they say because that tends to lead to wrong assumptions.

And again, you assume I'm criticizing people. Damnit, I'm not.

----

"Perhaps when we are enlightened, we will cease all attachment to the body, but that is not where most of us are."

I thought that our goal was enlightenment, eh?
    edited November 2011
    If I made a post asking about your people's thoughts on closet homosexuals, would you assume I am a closet homosexual? Hopefully not, just as I will not assume Talisman wants a sex change. He might, but why assume that? This isn't a self-help forum, its a discussion forum. People can use it as a self-help forum, but if they don't say so first, I won't treat it as such - I'll treat it as a discussion.

I'm not against people getting a sex change. Just like I'm not against homosexuality. etc etc Really, I'm not, I swear to you. More power to you. You guys just asked for the Buddhist opinion on it, and I gave you my personal interpretation of such (thus, opinion, per se).
  • I just like hearing what other people think. I'm going through my own sh@* right now and to be honest I was pretty nervous about asking anyone on here about it.

I know quite a bit about Buddhist practice and belief and obviously I have worked out my own feelings and opinions regarding many topics including the one I brought up. Getting some outside perspective can be really useful though. I really didn't want my question to bring about so much contention.

We should all get along.

<3
    edited November 2011
    I just like hearing what other people think. I'm going through my own sh@* right now and to be honest I was pretty nervous about asking anyone on here about it.

I know quite a bit about Buddhist practice and belief and obviously I have worked out my own feelings and opinions regarding many topics including the one I brought up. Getting some outside perspective can be really useful though. I really didn't want my question to bring about so much contention.

We should all get along.

<3</p>
    Not an issue at all, Talisman. I think people just don't get what I am saying, so I made this thread to try and clear everything up, but people just seem so adamant about being against my posts. I have no idea what you want to do about the whole sex change business, but whatever you do, really, I'm not against it. People think I am because of what I post, but I'm just saying what my person interpretation of Buddhist teachings have to say about it. And those are opinions too, they are personal interpretations. As I've said, its really up to the person to make their own choices. All I or anyone else can do is tell you our opinions and our interpretations of Buddhist wisdom (assuming you are asking for that, as I believe you did).

My personal, non-Buddhist opinion of sex changes is: go for it. That may be a bit of a hard life to live, though, especially if one wants to have sexual relationships with people. Some people may act badly to knowing that their partner was one another gender. Other people may not act that way at all, though. Ultimately, its up to the person to choose and weigh their options accordingly. I'm all for it if you or anyone else wants to do it. I just gave my opinion/interpretation on Buddhist teachings in regards to this subject, as I believe thats what you asked for.

My Buddhist opinion on it is what I said before in the other thread.
  • edited November 2011
    @MindGate my husband has this problem, too. He asks objectivity out of people and they seem to be incapable of giving it. He wants subjects that are taboo to be spoken about freely, so maybe we can evolve as a species in our understanding of the world. I can see how a trans-gender person might be offended by what you said, but I understand that you mean no harm. As I've told my husband, many subjects can be talked about but wording must be chosen verrrrry carefully.
  • Is it okay (from a Buddhist perspective) to ask if it's okay? :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2011
    This thread is funny. You're all funny. :D
    Take a moment to laugh along with me!

Then take a deep breath and carry on. It's all good.
  • Is that okay? I mean from a Buddhist perspective? :)
    Is that okay? I mean from a Buddhist perspective? :)
    According to Budai it is.
  • @Lincoln I think I am pretty upfront, and have not beat around the bush. What's wrong with being direct? Less is lost in translation that way. Clearly I am missing something.

I do listen to others' criticisms, and compliments for that matter. Additionally I posted that not having seen YOUR comment, it must have been being made around the same time. I also said that it was solely MY opinion. Additionally, in a later post I apologized to MG because I felt maybe I had been a bit hard on him. Please tell me how that makes me a hypocrite.

As far as the person who made a comment regarding my user name of Hubris, you may not have been privy to why I chose it. There is a thread on user names, and I explain it there if you'd care to have a look.

So, I will again apologize @MindGate if you are feeling offended,attacked, or the like. All I did was offer my opinion, from my point of view. I never claimed to be right.
  • I was saying that, like many other things (eating fatty cheeseburgers, having lots of frivolous sex, wearing extravagant things, etc), most likely it would be a hindrance to go ahead and have a sex change. How ***I*** see it is, if someone is uncomfortable with what body they have - the Buddha typically teaches just to accept things as how they are - and not to try and change them so much. Of course, its just my opinion and has no bearing on whether not you or any of you do.
    @mindgate Do you see how you are equating sex reassignment surgery to indulgence? This may be what is coming across as grating to people who understand the dilemma. Would you say someone with a toothache is being indulgent by going to the dentist? A zen teacher said "We drink tea, sit mindfully, and when our tooth aches go to the dentist."

I don't wish to be critical, as I understand the essential content of what you're saying, but you seem flabbergasted at some of the responses.
    Have you read this entire thread?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Ok, guys, you've made your points. Get back to topic. let's not split too many hairs, I think MindGate has tried to explain himself sufficiently, without needing a moratorium. ok?
  • As far as the person who made a comment regarding my user name of Hubris, you may not have been privy to why I chose it. There is a thread on user names, and I explain it there if you'd care to have a look.
    The person? Odd, on my screen the user names show up with the posts. Sorry if I seem unapproachable, I do try to be available and open to exchange.

If you'd like to link it, I would love to read your reasoning for it. I post from my phone so digging up past threads is troublesome. I didn't mean that as our friend "Hubris" you embody or are stuck in hubris in any way... just a silly word play I didn't sense would become painful. The notion is just that prideful arrogence in our head often causes us to project judgements onto the heartfelt, rather than embrace and work skillfully with what is really being said or intended.

With warmth,

Matt
This discussion has been closed.