Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is This or That "Okay?"

2»

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Might as well just close the thread. No one listens.
  • Have you read this entire thread?
    Me? Yes.

I was speaking directly about the passage I quoted. I trust your continued insistence of harmlessness and acceptance, which is why I was pointing out to you that the way you are describing it seems problematic. "If a person wants an indulgent surgery, go for it."
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    See what I mean?
  • @aMatt, sorry if I did not use your name or give credit where it was due, my bad. It was laziness on my part because having to scroll up and down through all those posts was getting tedious.

I will look and see if I can find that thread on user names for you, too. Even on a computer digging up past threads is troublesome! LOL, I will send it via PM if you like :) No offense taken, btw.
  • edited November 2011
    I can't believe the direction this thread has taken. These attacks on MindGate have nothing to do with answering the OP. Or if they're not attacks, then "opinions" that tend to corner MG, misinterpret his intent, and put him on the defensive.

Back to the OP: I'm not sure a sex change wouldn't be ok for monks. One could have a sex change operation and still remain celibate. But the difference psychologically would be huge, it would be very healing, as I understand it. My limited understanding of this is that there is insurmountable dissonance between the body one is in, and one's sense of identity. For example, telling someone there's "no-self" isn't going to resolve the situation. If someone needs surgery in order to be well, so be it. I'm all for healing, and supporting people in doing what they need to do to achieve a sense of well-being, as long as it doesn't result in harm to self or others. A monk wouldn't be denied other types of therapeutic surgery. Why single out this type? At any rate, this sub-topic of the OP is overlapping with Talisman's thread, so maybe we don't need to rehash this anymore.

edit: "indulgent surgery" I didn't see that. Hopefully my comments (and others') make it clear this surgery isn't indulgent. It's not like getting cosmetic surgery.
This discussion has been closed.