Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Choosing a Teacher

Aliece8Aliece8 New
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I am not sure what Category to post in...perhaps "Beginners" is a good place to start ;)

Hello All!

I had been studying on my own for some years but I always knew that I would benefit from having a “live” teacher.

A center opened in my area and I was thrilled to attend and I have benefitted much from Geshe-la’s instruction. Far beyond what I could ever imagine and I am grateful.

Geshe-la (he was awarded the Geshe Lharampa degree) is a wonderful teacher, kind, patient and funny! The wisdom that radiates pushes me to study with greater love and intent and meditation is much more productive and deeply insightful.

Is it appropriate or permissible to ask him to be my Guru or do I just continue to attend classes and speak with him about Dharma? He is very accessible to all and I don’t even know what is really involved in a Guru/Student association.

Thank you for your responses.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    It sounds wonderful, @Aliece8. I don't know what the formalities may be at the temple you attend, but I have always figured it was best to get reliable answers from the horse's mouth.

So ... I think I would simply ask him. If, in some way, this is a mistake, who better to tell you than Geshe-la himself?

Best wishes in your continuing practice.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I'll second what genkaku said. Makes sense to me.
  • edited November 2011
    We always recommend caution before entering into a guru-disciple relationship. Give yourself time to get to know him better. What you can do is have him give you the refuge vow, where you take refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and the Sangha. Maybe that will help you feel more connected. Otherwise, it's recommended to take a long time observing the guru before totally handing over your trust. See my thread on this topic:

http://www.newbuddhist.com/discussion/7979

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    observe him my friend ask him to be your teacher if you wish, only after you are sure of his perfect conduct.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    It sounds like you've found a good teacher. Still, unpleasant surprises can happen. Caution is always the best approach, even if you're convinced he's a good guy.

Besides, a formal guru-disciple relationship is only required or appropriate for Highest Yoga Tantra, the highest level of TB studies.
  • Thank you, everyone, for your input!
  • "Geshe-la (he was awarded the Geshe Lharampa degree) is a wonderful teacher, kind, patient and funny! The wisdom that radiates pushes me to study with greater love and intent and meditation is much more productive and deeply insightful."

These are all good qualities. Provided he is ethical to go along with these you are lucky indeed to have found him. Like genkaku I'd go with the horses mouth, though I think you are a student in a sense already.
  • @Aliece8 Here is a book I think you'll enjoy, written by an expert on Tibetan Buddhism, and a long-term disciple himself:
    "Wise Teacher, Wise Student: Tibetan Approaches to a Healthy Relationship". And yes, this is, for sure, a Beginner's topic, and a good one. Wise of you to ask about this.
  • compassionate_warrior! Thank you for the book recommendation! And yes, I will speak with Geshe-la this weekend...and we are having our monthly Animal(fish)Liberation on Sunday...which is wonderful :clap: