Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is buddhism compatible with common life goals (e.g. marriage, a house, a family)?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Is buddhism compatible with common life goals (e.g. marriage, a house, a family)?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Yes. They're called lay followers.
  • If Buddhism isn't compatible with a normal human life, then what good is it?

Does it make any sense to embrace a religion that says, "Oh, by the way. The secret to life is only found if you leave all that taking care of family, raising a new generation and being part of society stuff behind you."

And that doesn't mean you can only be a second-rate Buddhist, useful for supporting the monks, the "real Buddhists" who are the only ones with a hope to awakening. Granted, people being what they are, that attitude always infects any institution that sets itself apart from everyday activity. Even Buddhist monks.

• If it isn't, then frankly I want no part of it. The house thing isn't so important, but my marriage and kids definitely are.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Isn't it disconcerting to come across passages like this:

"There has been no buddha in the past, nor will there be in the future, who abides in the household and who so established has achieved this supreme, highest enlightenment." - Samādhirāja Sūtra

"There has never been a bodhisattva who dwells in the household and who has awakened to unexcelled, perfect enlightenment. They all, moreover, having gone forth from the household, fixed their thoughts on the wilderness with a predilection toward the wilderness. Having gone to the wilderness, they awakened to unexcelled, perfect enlightenment. And [it is there that] they acquired the prerequisites [Skt. saṃbhāra] [for enlightenment; i.e., merit and gnosis]." - Ugraparipṛcchā Sūtra

What do you make of them?
  • That thrad that mindgate started would go with this one in perfect unison. Where do you draw the line and saay if such and such is ok or not, who makes up the rules and why?

It depends upon your own morals and thinking along with to what extreme you take the dharma. The buddha taught his teachings in a variety of different ways as he understood that people differ from each other when it comes down to mental disposition. There would be no real point in creating one set way to live your life as it would not help the majority of the people who came across his ideas.

So, the wise and compassionat fellow that he was, the buddha put his teachings in different forms so all types of people could relate to them. For example, you may not be able to life a life of monk or nun, whereas for others it is idealistic.

Also, it may be good to note that the buddha himself left his wife and son, along with his entire village and kingdom without a single word of notice. That would be largely seen as a flakey father by most people, more so in this day and age.
  • For most of the world, this question is academic. They have little or no choice - parents need looking after in their old age, and more people mean more labour to grow food and earn money to survive. Which requires children to get married and have more children, in the hope that some may survive. Only 1 in 5 children make it to aged 5. Few adults make it until their 40s.

For girls, the picture is even worse. In much of the world, girls are married-off shortly after puberty, and then risk pregnancy after pregnancy until they are either dead or infertile. They rarely have any real choice about this.

We must remember that most of us here are from the First World, the rich third of the world where most people aren't starving. Two thirds of the population of the planet are at or below the absolute poverty line, under constant threat from war, famine and disease. They have no choices at all in their lives.

To suggest that that only lives where enlightenment can be found, are those of monastics, is effectively to say that 2/3rds of the planet have no hope. I do not believe this, especially in the light of the many teachings that show us that human life is a precious and rare thing: the only life during which enlightenment can be found.

But the Buddha's teachings give hope even to the poor. Whilst they may have no choices in their physical reality, Buddhism gives them a chance to escape their suffering. In fact, such poverty and distress may mean their attachment to this world is far less than those of us who live in comparative riches.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2011

"There has been no buddha in the past, nor will there be in the future, who abides in the household and who so established has achieved this supreme, highest enlightenment." - Samādhirāja Sūtra

"There has never been a bodhisattva who dwells in the household and who has awakened to unexcelled, perfect enlightenment. They all, moreover, having gone forth from the household, fixed their thoughts on the wilderness with a predilection toward the wilderness. Having gone to the wilderness, they awakened to unexcelled, perfect enlightenment. And [it is there that] they acquired the prerequisites [Skt. saṃbhāra] [for enlightenment; i.e., merit and gnosis]." - Ugraparipṛcchā Sūtra

I don't make much of them at all, other than to shake my head and sigh at the capacity of the human mind to spectacularly miss the point, even when it comes to monks who write sutras. Hakuin, an otherwise great Zen master also tried to make the case for monks having an exclusive path to Buddhahood. His thinking went: "Temple monks only recognize their own patriarchs as Enlightened Buddhas, and the scrolls in the temple library only list monks as Buddhas, so logically only monks can become Buddhas."

Temple monks become temple Buddhas. Lay Buddhists become lay Budddhas. In truth, Buddhas are where you find them. Anything else is faulty understanding of the Dharma.

You think the monks in the temples are living special lives that put them on the fast track to Buddhahood? Wherever a monk goes and whatever he does, he takes his mind with him. That mind is filled with selfish attachments in spite of shaving his head and moving into a dormroom. This mind doesn't care what is surrounding you or what needs to be done in your life, those attachments form. So the monk gets attached to his temple, his teachings, his Patriarchs and his rank among his fellow monks instead of his house, his family, his job, or whatever.

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Hakuin, an otherwise great Zen master
    Don't you mean Ryan Sieman, not Hakuin?

:p
  • it is not only compatible, but enhances those things beyond anything they ever could be without the practice. this is a really useful book that breaks the 8fold path down for householders:

Jack Kornfield. The Eightfold Path for the Householder

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/ritepath.pdf
  • If it's not compatible with common life goals then what is the point???
  • Buddhism is a raft to get to the other side.

The question shouldn't be if buddhism is compatible so much as if one's conduct is compatible with what buddhism is trying to get to (and not buddhism itself).
  • Yes, just need to understand the impermanence of all things. Live life with an open mind, seeing all things as they really are and not how you want them to be.
  • I would say that if you interpret the OP to mean exactly what is says: Is Buddhism compatibly with householder life, the answer is unequivocally "yes". If you read into it: is reaching Buddhahood (Enlightenment) compatible with lay life, that can be debated. Though as we saw on another thread, the Buddha had 21 lay followers who did become arhats.

My question is: why wouldn't it be compatible with lay life? The Buddha taught lay followers as well as monks. Maybe too much emphasis is placed on monasticism. From what I've heard about life in some monasteries, they're not at all conducive to the spiritual life. According to some Westerners who have lived in them, they're hotbeds of jealousy and power plays. :p Let's not stereotype monastic life nor lay life.
  • Is buddhism compatible with common life goals (e.g. marriage, a house, a family)?
    I would say 'yes' because the practice involves the renunciation of greed, hatred, and delusion rather than marriage, house, and family. Just my opinion as a layfollower. :)

• I agree with all of you.
    The goal of Buddhism is enlightened life. It is about you and me in our real-life situations here and now.
    edited November 2011
    Vimalakirti Sutra appears to have been composed specifically to highlight the possibility of the highest attainment by a layman. I was going to post the section praising Vimalakirti's virtues, but instead here's the link:

http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Fac/Adler/Reln260/Vimalakirti.htm

(fast-forward to Chapter 2)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2011

Not much, really. One doesn't have to completely detach themselves from the world in order to seek and achieve awakening. Even in the suttas of the Pali Canon, lay-followers, including kings (e.g., King Suddhodana), attained awakening while living a worldly life; not to mention Mahayana sutras such as the Vimalakirti Sutra, where a lay man by the name of Vimalakirti expounds the doctrine of emptiness to a group of arahats and bodhisattvas.
  • Is buddhism compatible with common life goals (e.g. marriage, a house, a family)?
    If it's not, then I'm going to become a Born Again Christian so I'll fit in more around these parts. I could probably get a lot more dates that way! :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    God bless you sur....!
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited November 2011

In India, there was an established tradition whereby, after raising their family to adulthood, some men chose to abandon worldly living and go off to seek spiritual attachment. This is related to the ascetic tradition. I think it is that context that these should be read. But as others hanger rightly pointed out, lay followers most certainly can be enlightened, and after all, if buddhism isn't appropriate for lay followers, then why are we all doing it? The fact is, you start from where you are, and take from there. On that basis, buddhism can literally help anyone.

Namaste
  • Apologies for my phones amusing auto spelling errors in last post. "O'toole" should be "followers", "van" should be "can".
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I corrected it for you.
    Auto spell-check can be a blast, can't it...? :D
    It seems as Buddhism takes root in the West, the predominant form it takes is lay practice. Some traditions hold on to the notion that ordained sangha members form the core of the Buddhist community. Other schools have done away with this and are completely lay-oriented.

But there may be still some lingering feeling that lay followers are somehow second-rate practitioners. I feel uneasy about it.
  • I don't really care, since nobody's practice but my own has any effect on me and my practice. Anyone who judges another's practice ("second-rate") isn't a very good Buddhist IMHO. One of the better verses from the bible is "Judge not, lest ye be judged".

:)
  • I corrected it for you. Auto spell-check can be a blast, can't it...? :D
    Thanks Fede, yes it can. In fact I think there's whole websites dedicated to it!

• @Ada

I feel you have made some incorrect statements in your post ...
    In much of the world, girls are married-off shortly after puberty, and then risk pregnancy after pregnancy until they are either dead or infertile. They rarely have any real choice about this.
    Is it really in "much" of the world? I know it happens, but for me "much" means "most" or "a lot", ie at least half or more, and I don't believe that's the case. I better word may be "some".
    Two thirds of the population of the planet are at or below the absolute poverty line, under constant threat from war, famine and disease. They have no choices at all in their lives.
    I believe the number of people considered to be in poverty is more like 1 billion. Now, that is a lot of people in poverty, but it is not 2/3 of the planet, it is more like 1/7.

http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world hunger facts 2002.htm#Number_of_hungry_people_in_the_world

Also, just because you are in poverty does not mean you have "no choice".
  • Yup. It has to be, or, as others may have pointed out, there would be no new Buddhists to keep the traditions going. That's the short answer. Namaste
  • Ada_B's post reminded me of this quite well known poem

If the World were 100 PEOPLE:
    50 would be female
    50 would be male

20 would be children
    There would be 80 adults,
    14 of whom would be 65 and older

There would be:
    61 Asians
    12 Europeans
    13 Africans
    14 people from the Western Hemisphere

There would be:
    31 Christians
    21 Muslims
    14 Hindus
    6 Buddhists
    12 people who practice other religions
    16 people who would not be aligned with a religion

17 would speak a Chinese dialect
    8 would speak Hindustani
    8 would speak English
    7 would speak Spanish
    4 would speak Arabic
    4 would speak Russian
    52 would speak other languages

82 would be able to read and write; 18 would not

1 would have a college education
    1 would own a computer

75 people would have some supply of food and a place to
    shelter them from the wind and the rain, but 25 would not

1 would be dying of starvation
    17 would be undernourished
    15 would be overweight

83 would have access to safe drinking water
    17 people would have no clean, safe water to drink
  • @Doazen Having recently studied a third year university course on International Development, I am pretty sure of my facts. I also volunteer for Oxfam.

By 'poverty' I do not mean starvation, Absolute Poverty, I simply mean an extremely limited income, most of which goes on food and healthcare.

The significance is that if you are only about to earn a few dollars a day, or survive on subsistence farming, you have very few choices. You either keep working/farming, or you starve. The gap between relative and absolute poverty is extremely tiny, and the risks of falling through the gap extremely high: illness, death of a wage earner, drought, war... these all can mean the difference between survival and death.

A recent World Health Organisation campaign on women's health said that lack of access to birth control and lack of reproductive health care and access to adequate maternity services put woman at severe risk. This is a global problem. And incidentally, the USA had one of the worst records in the developed world, so maternal health poverty is not just a 'Third World' phenomenon.

Anyway, I'm tired and not in the mood to bandy statistics. Suffice to say, poverty, even relative poverty, reduces choices, especially for women. If you don't believe that, fine, but I recommend you watch one of the BBC documentaries like "Blood, sweat and t-shirts" about the garment industry in Asia and tell me those people have any choices in life. They are not starving, but neither could they up sticks and go into a monestary.
  • it's all great when the marriage is going good and all, but what happens when there's divorce... will the seeker continue along their spiritual path? or will that be a hindrance? it only stands to reason that when one is not enlightened enough yet, that marriage will not last long but find a true spiritual base first, and then you can properly manage that sort of thing. or if the spouse supports you or is him/herself spiritual then you can both advance that way. every situation will be different and there are no set rules, just be honest with yourself as to what it is you seek, and what are you willing to give up to find it. only you know if something is helping you or hindering your progress.
  • If the World were 100 PEOPLE:
    50 would be female
    50 would be male
    Actually, about 52 would be male, and about 48 would be female :)
  • I suppose the first question would be how are we defining these common life goals? For example, marriage has various definitions depending on culture and so does family. The variability in these definitions may change the answers to the original question.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2011
    If the World were 100 PEOPLE:
    50 would be female
    50 would be male
    Actually, about 52 would be male, and about 48 would be female :)
    I always wonder about the expression grow some balls, surely grow a vagina is more accurate in reality - lol.

I guess the relevant point is that asking the accurate question is important as _Namaste_ has said above. For many individuals ( as the 100 people poem illustrates - if not exactly ) the life goals in the original question do not apply.

• "Why do people say "grow some balls" ? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, Grow a vagina .. Those things can take a pounding." - Betty White.
  • There is that aspect to it as well ... although that is not quite what I meant :)
  • I think the buddhist mandala (sphere of action) extends to all beings. Yes I can be discouraged because I am not a monk. And that monk can be discouraged because he is not a master. And the master can be discouraged because he is not a buddha??

Whats the point of being discouraged and disempower ourselves. Why dwell on what we are not and find out for ourselves with tested experience what of the dharma we can bring into our lives.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I agree Jeffrey and Buddhist practice, in the tradition I have chosen, is very relevant to my life experiences. When I began my investigation into Buddhism, back in the 1980's many people were focused and discouraged by the perceived notions of the capacity of being a woman in Buddhism. As with the other aspects, my understanding over time with experience and practice has found that it is not about so much about inherent capacities as causes and conditions - again I say if you wanna be tough grow one - lol.
  • @Doazen Having recently studied a third year university course on International Development, I am pretty sure of my facts. I also volunteer for Oxfam.
    Then you should know better than the sweeping comments you made.
    By 'poverty' I do not mean starvation, Absolute Poverty, I simply mean an extremely limited income, most of which goes on food and healthcare.
    So you should have at least said "relative" poverty. Which is a silly term, because it has no fixed point of reference. For example, 99.99% of the world live in relative poverty ... compared to Bill Gates. Stats deceive so easily.
    The gap between relative and absolute poverty is extremely tiny.
    No, the gap in completely arbitrary, depending on your reference point for relative poverty, as my example above shows.
    The significance is that if you are only about to earn a few dollars a day, or survive on subsistence farming, you have very few choices. You either keep working/farming, or you starve.
    As a Buddhist, you should understand we ALWAYS have choices. Read Victor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" and you'll learn how, even in Nazi death camps with all humanity seemingly stripped away, there were important choices to be made.

Lastly, your claim that "In much of the world, girls are married-off shortly after puberty" is also absolutely not true. (Sadly) there are around 10 million child brides per year - but clearly that is NOT "much of the world".

http://www.icrw.org/child-marriage-facts-and-figures

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    "Why do people say "grow some balls" ? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, Grow a vagina .. Those things can take a pounding." - Betty White.
    HAHA!!!!:)