Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Going to India/Nepal on a pilgrimage

SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
edited November 2011 in General Banter
With a bit of luck I maybe able to go to India and Nepal around Dec/Jan. My budget probably wouldn't last me for more than a month. This would be my first trip to India (and Asia for that matter). I hope to be able to see and experience as much as possible during that time, but the focus would be on visiting Buddhist sites. I've already got a nice little book about it, but it's always useful to ask for any suggestions/tips.

Has any of you done it? Is it doable in one month? Anything I should know? All suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Winter is monsoon season. Be prepared for it to be cold and wet in the Himalayan region. Many of the hotels don't have heat, or you pay extra for a little room heater. If you go in Jan/Feb., you'll be able to attend the Dalai Lama's annual New Year teachings, it's a big event.

If you make it over there, share some news with us. They do have internet cafes.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I've read that monsoon season is between June-Sept and winter is the best time to come. But yes it can get chilly in the North. I'm going to check HHDL's schedule definitely.

I hope to post news when I'm there. Right now I'm at the very early preparation stage.
  • I'm happy for you :)
    Thanks @Jeffrey :)

It has been my dream to go to India for a very long time. I must go there.
  • I'm jealous of you, Paul; I need to look at my practise. Nah, I feel excited for you; take plenty of pics.

I'd love to go to Bodhi Gaya and see the Bodhi Tree (which is believed to have been propagated from the original one the Buddha became Enlightened under).
    :)

I will bring lots of Bodhi Tree leaves!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I did it like 13 years ago. Back then the plane ticket cost as much as living expenses for 4 months. I imagine the exchange rate has evened out some since then but if you can get there it shouldn't cost that much for food and accomodations.

If you attend the Dalai Lama's teachings get there a couple weeks ahead of time or expect to get a hotel in one of the nearby towns and walk or take a taxi to Mcleod Ganj each day. Plus I believe there is some type of preregistration for the teachings with 2-3 forms of ID required, you can probably find details on his website. Make sure to bring headphones and a radio reciever for the translation if you go.

The 4 main pilgrimage sites (birth, death, enlightenment, and first teaching) are relativly close to each other and have plenty of accomodations for visitors. Bodh Gaya, where Buddha attained enlightenment, is in Bihar state, a very poor state, so don't go out at night and don't expect very nice rooms. Lumbini, where Buddha was born is just across the border in Nepal. Crossing was uncomplicated when I went.

Tibetan and Nepalese cabbies, vendors, and hotel clerks are much nicer and less aggressive about freeing you from your money than the Indians are. Make sure to agree on a price upfront and don't expect anything is for free. I did have nice citizens help me out, but I also had people offer me things or help only to ask for payment after.

As I said it was a while ago that I went so things may have changed. But overall the experience was great and I highly recommend going.
    Thanks @person, that's useful info. Interesting observation about Tibetans, Nepalese and Indians. I think this is going to be a crash course in assertiveness for me :)

I think flight tickets might be a bit cheaper now, but prices in India higher.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I hope your trip to India/Nepal is one of discovery and happiness. I have been contemplating doing a specific trip where you hike for around 18 days up to basecamp on Mount Everest. Basecamp may seem at a low altitude when you try to picture it in your mind, but it is still above 22,000 feet if I can remember. Obviously there would be no climbing higher, but I have always wanted to merely gaze at the biggest mounting on our planet for some time now.

India obviously has many roots with buddhism and with Hinduism, so I am sure you will have a religious experience of some sort. As it has been stated above, you need to mindful that there are many people including children who may try to scam you or even rob you for that matter. Asia for the most part is far less developed which is something you can see on TV a hundred times, but untill you are actually living in such a place it won't fully hit home. Also, remember to get your injections and stuff for malaria yellow fever etc because India has a lot of mosquitos all year round. On top of that, it probably has one of the widest selection of deadly animals for a single country, so try not to sleep on the floor like a large part of the population do.

This is slightly off-topic, but the lead man for the band red hot chillie peppers had many failed attempts at getting off of heroin. He finally jetted off to India and came back several weeks later a new person. As far as I know he has not used since. It can be a life changing place. I wish you all of the best and good luck :)
    Thanks @ThailandTom :)
  • hey thom, big red hot chili pepper fan here, that is cool he got off heroin. He has realy looked good the last few years.

oh yeah, altitude. I live in Denver so if you are at sea level be sure you know about what altitude you are going to. When people come here (5-6,000 ft above sea level) they do get tireder or thirstier or hungrier. When they go way above denver to like our 14,000 peaks then they can really feel it and even get altitude sickness. I have no idea what elevations you are going to but really keep hydrated along the way and don't expect the same energy level unless you are already at altitude.

Sounds like so much fun!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I met Anthony Kiedas mom at my friends graduation house party, she was a friend of their family. :o

• Yea that band had a lot of issues for a few years, drug related deaths, constant band member shift arounds and just general heroin use. He went to a few rehabs and didn't get over it until he went to India and came back totally transformed. Jeffrey met his mom, that is pretty cool. They were all LA based if I am not wrong.

@AHeerdt the hike allows for you to slowly get use to the altitude, and if people start to get altitude sickness they have to be taken off of the trip. I must dig the link out for the schedule and information as I have not looked at it for many months now. It just has been something I have wanted to do for a long time.
    edited November 2011
    Hey, I object to my thread being hijacked by RHCP fans :angry:

I don't know much about them, I enjoyed their songs back in the 90's - "Under the bridge" is the song I remember most.

Whatever happened to Anthony Kiedis in India, it shows one thing to me - those who would say "it doesn't matter where you go, you take all your problems with you anyway" are right - but they've only got half of the story. Changing the outer environment can change us profoundly. The outer environment is a reflection of our mind, so it should work both ways, no?

Anyway, @ThailandTom - hope you can make your trip.
    And useful info about the altitude, @AHeerdt.
  • I agree with changing environment at times, for me it is being here at home in the Rocky Mountains. I was able to change significant things in my life when I am here. Besides India and Nepal are waaaay cooler than some retreat/rehab center in most other places.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Good luck! And tell us all about it!
    I am working on doing something similar!:)
    edited November 2011
    Guys, I really need your advice on this.

So I got very excited and started planning my trip. I followed @compassionate_warrior's advice and checked HHDL's schedule and wow! He's giving Kalachakra for World Peace from Dec 31st to Jan 10th in Bodhgaya. It's going to be an absolutely massive event.

I knew I didn't have much money and couldn't make a decision when to go and I thought it's fear holding me back, so I made a rush decision and booked the flight and accommodation in Bodhgaya to get them as cheaply as possible (also Bodhgaya was filling up really fast).

Now I have looked into my budget in more detail and the reality is that if I follow my plan, I'm going to have a very tight budget in India (maybe even too tight) and on coming back I have no money at all, to pay the rent and food for next month. Now I could actually push it somehow and be able to survive for a couple of weeks after coming back, until some money comes in, but it's all very risky.

So the alternative is to cancel my trip, miss the Kalachakra and lose some money. I really don't know what to do and I weighed pros and cons and it looks more or less even. On top of that I have a Uni course to work on (it's distance course so doable while travelling but difficult) and what I should really be doing is looking for work and sort my living and financial situation out. This would be the rational thing to do. But part of me says it's just all about fear and taking risks.

I have to make a decision pretty soon, as the time is running out to sort out the visa, and it's not much time to do the vaccinations either, and I don't want to take them if I'm going to cancel the trip.

What do you guys think?
  • I think you've made some hasty decisions; so don't make any more.

Meditate for a while, then get the pen and paper out and do some financial calculations; then do a little more meditation.

I'm sure you'll come up with something.
    @Tosh - Thanks for suggestions. I've done quite detailed calculation, but have neglected meditation a bit, becoming lost in all this. It's easy to fall into the habit of thinking "once I sort the .... out (fill in the blank), I will be able to meditate."
  • i agree with checking out the total budget, If you can eat or live when you come backthat is serious. do you have student loans that will be available when you come back? I hate for you to miss this but I know how it is, I missed so much over the years including my best friends wedding. I still feel pained over it but the money wasnt there.

Big hugs, and whatever you choose just know you are going to work your bum off at it, that is okay.
  • Anthony Kiedes was from Michigan. The local teen club he actually played at and the band members came out with nothing but socks on their 'junk'.
    edited November 2011
    I am a little less worried now about my budget when I'm there, having spoken to a couple of Indian people who assured me it will be enough. But there is still the problem of not having money when I'm back.

@Jeffrey, I'm not quite sure I understand your post. Just for the record, I'm not going to India for any detox (unless it's detox from Western civilisation) :D
  • sattva, my commment is going back to the red hot chili peppers, sorry. The frontman of that band is from my home town.
    Ah, ok. Still, I'd be interested what you mean by "came out with nothing but socks on their 'junk' "? :)
  • How was the trip???

Im off to Nepal myself soon, for 3 weeks. Cant wait.
    It didn't work out unfortunately. The conditions weren't right.

Have fun on your Nepal trip and let us know how it went.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I recommend the Boudhanath stupa in Boudha, outside Kathmandu.

Kopan Monastery just north of Boudhanath offers 10 day Dharma retreats.

I also enjoyed spending a day in Patna just a bit south of Kathmandu. This is a town of artists where most of the Buddhist items are crafted. When I went you could freely walk around the craft areas and watch people work.

If you're flying into Kathmandu, the birthplace of the Buddha, Lumbini, may be a bit too much out of the way (its about a 10 hour bus ride), but could make a good 3 or 4 day side trip.