Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to practice Buddhism without being a f*** r****

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2011 in General Banter
Point One: Remove the stick from your ass.

One of the most common issues with Western Buddhists, both those who 'convert' and those born into it is a strong tendency to take the Dharma, and more worryingly themselves, way too fucking seriously. See previous entries for examples of me doing exactly this.

Taking shit too seriously is a guaranteed way to become tense. When various authentic teachers talk about "practicing like your hair is on fire", or as my teacher told me in retreat "practice like you are fighting for your very life", they mean this in the sense of practicing consistently and genuinely, NOT becoming uptight, humourless and puritanical. The Tibetan word "brtson-’grus" (Sanskrit Virya) is variously translated as "effort," "vigor," "diligence," "zeal," or "energy.", however the best explanations of it I've heard have also imply a sense of joy, or joyous effort.

A few years ago Gyalwa Karmapa gave a teaching to a group of Westerners and people from Taiwan, in other words classic "stick up ass" people. He was teaching how to do Vajrasattva practice, and he explicity stated that Vajrasattva was smiling because people are practicing the Dharma. Similar sentiments are expressed in numerous commentaries.

Even myself as someone who barely knows the real meaning of taking refuge, can attest to the importance of relaxing and not posturing in relation to practice. We start where we are, and if that means laughing at jokes about the Holocaust then we do that. Pretending to be "nice" is self-deceit and hypocrisy and won't benefit ourselves, let alone the limitless beings we are pretending to want to lead to liberation.

In A Brilliant Sun, Patrul Rinpoches commentary on the Bodhicaryavatara, he explicitly talks about "the courage of resting when tired". Laughter and a general sense of lightheartedness go a very long way to making practicing our mind relax which is essential for meditation.

Point Two: Nobody gives a shit about your Scout badges, so don't show them off.

http://icantcomeupwithawittyblogtitle.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-practice-buddhism-without-being.html

Comments

• I liked this one.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I liked this one.
    :)
  • If I remove the stick from my ass, and someone lights a match, I'll be practicing with my ass on fire! :rarr:
  • Very well put.Exceptional and refreshing points. Thank you.

Namaste
  • Ahhhhh yeahhhhhh :eek:
    Welcome!:)
  • Point Two: Nobody gives a shit about your Scout badges, so don't show them off.
    I've found this to be false. I'm an Eagle Scout, and that has opened many doors professionally. :P

What is the r***** denoting? I got the first one, but the second is a mystery to me.

Is it just me or is the poster now taking "not taking yourself seriously" very seriously?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    f*** r**** = fast rafts. I think?
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    @LeonBasin - that was very refreshing! Thank you :-)

@aMatt click on the link of the OP for r**** - or maybe not, it's not pc.
    Welcome everyone!
    Retarded.:(
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    So mentally handicapped individuals cannot practice Buddhism? Oh well.

(Kidding)
    edited November 2011
  • hence my screen name...
    So mentally handicapped individuals cannot practice Buddhism? Oh well.

(Kidding)
    Lol!
    hence my screen name...
    Right!:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Moved to General Banter from Advanced Ideas.
    There's nothing Advanced about this....Anyone using language liberally in that manner, when it's totally unnecessary is a F****** R***** himself, IMO.
  • Moved to General Banter from Advanced Ideas.
    There's nothing Advanced about this....Anyone using language liberally in that manner, when it's totally unnecessary is a F****** R***** himself, IMO.
    Oooh, ouch. True, nonetheless. Well, maybe not all of that. ::cough::

This conversation did kinda deteriorate rapidly I'm afraid. :( We sound like a bunch of HS kids. Not that we should be so serious all the time though, it's natural and fun to cut up, but not at the expense of a marginalized group of people.

I'd better shut up,have been in rare form all day due to a crazy start to a somewhat messy day...even though it's tomorrow already, since it's after midnight. :::laughing:::
  • Ahh, well I don't have any problem not taking myself too seriuosly with buddhism. the loose group I am in does a lot of laughing (and i try to squirrel something in abotu punk music most meetings especially since they are all hippy generation and I have an issue with John Lennon's Imagine).

I want to write some day titled "Everything i know about Buddhism I learned from being a mom(dad)'. Rest when tired, yup. When I was a doula I would have these new moms who were used to being professional women and then you would tell them to take a nap, they would argue that they never napped so you would take baby toanother room and they would be out like a light.

I thought since we were off topic anyway. And i won't get all defensive as a western buddhist who is not too serious,
    A little bit too harsh, Federica. IMO
  • Humour is vital.

On his birthday last year, Lama Chime Rinpoche was talking to our sangha about his life. At one point, he illustrated the fact that lamas are human too, by telling us what happened the last time he attended a big meeting of all the Tibetan lamas, hosted by HH Dalai Lama. Although they are of different traditions, Lama Chime has known HH Dalai Lama since they were both young and he considers him a friend.

At one point in proceedings, HH Dalai Lama asked Lama Chime to speak privately with him. All of the other lamas were surprised and whispered to one another "What is he saying? Is it some great revelation? Why did he choose to speak to Chime Rinpoche privately?"

All sorts of imagined conversations must have been going through their heads. What could HH Dalai Lama have said to Chime Rinpoche? Lama Chime grinned a rather mischievous grin. "He told me to get my hair cut," he said. "I have very Tibetan hair - it goes its own way!"
  • There's nothing Advanced about this....Anyone using language liberally in that manner, when it's totally unnecessary is a F****** R***** himself, IMO.

LOL, @MindGate Thank you, though I was politely hiding *that* behind a cough. I get the feeling it was a knee-jerk response to our frat boy behavior.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    Very refreshing, thanks @LeonBasin.
    Very refreshing, thanks @LeonBasin.
    Welcome!:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

LOL, @MindGate Thank you, though I was politely hiding *that* behind a cough. I get the feeling it was a knee-jerk response to our frat boy behavior.
    No, it was entirely in response to the quoted passage. You guys I can deal with; you know me well enough to know when I'll let things slide, and when I have to moderate.....
    But the article is just wanton bad language. Heck, if HH the DL can convey soemthing about buddhism without foul language, it shouldn't be beyond anyone else's ken to do the same.

I swear a lot. But I choose my moments. And I simply have to bear in mind who might get in and read this lot, and what their initial impression of reading it, on a Buddhist forum might be....
    edited November 2011
    No, it was entirely in response to the quoted passage. You guys I can deal with; you know me well enough to know when I'll let things slide, and when I have to moderate.....
    But the article is just wanton bad language. Heck, if HH the DL can convey soemthing about buddhism without foul language, it shouldn't be beyond anyone else's ken to do the same.
    I swear a lot. But I choose my moments. And I simply have to bear in mind who might get in and read this lot, and what their initial impression of reading it, on a Buddhist forum might be....
    I know I'm going to get scolded for this, but I think you're wrong, Federica. If you going to "moderate," then moderate. Close the thread. Delete the thread. There is no need to resort to name-calling in an attempt to "moderate".
    Anyone using language liberally in that manner, when it's totally unnecessary is a F****** R***** himself, IMO.
    After all, this is a Buddhist site, right? Showing your disdain for a thread by resorting to the very thing in which you are showing contempt for is circular and samsaric logic. Maybe I took your comment the wrong way, but I saw it as a direct attack at LeonBasic and/or the author of that article. This is not proper moderation.

But hey, that is just my two cents. You're the mod. That is just my feedback.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Perhaps LeonBasin or a mod could have askerisked out the f-words in the text. But the text itself is so f****** true.
    Eh, well, f*** it. :)
  • Welcome everyone!
    Retarded.:(
    Ack. Well, its my biggest discontentment with the article you posted, but not the only. Doesn't the tone and quality of the text run conterpoint to its message? Like standing with a stick and telling people to relax or you'll hit them. How does that generate the quality of relaxation?

I think that author needs some aggression management assistance. :)

• @aMatt Seems to me that there are aspects of Japanese Buddhism where they do use sticks to hit with, especially those who fidget or otherwise during meditation. I can't take the time to post an anecdote I'm afraid.

A zendo I attended in NYC would have someone who would come and tap you on the shoulder if you were moving too much during zazen, also. YMMV.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    In defense of the original author: What Leon posted is just an excerpt. To judge the intent of the article, one would need to read the whole thing.

Here is how it ends:
    "The above was intended as a mostly satirical take on the traditional Lojong mind training of the followers of Atisha and as a troll directed at Western Buddhists who take themselves too seriously, such as me, however should any of it be of use to anyone or make them smile, then this is good. If it offends then my troll has been successful."

The author is not a native English speaker (he's from Finland), and he has lived in Kathmandu for a while. Accordingly, I'm cutting him a lot of slack for not being pc, for being fed up for once, and for including himself in this biting criticism. :-)

Beyond that: Lighten UP already LOL !!
  • Alcoholics Anonymous also has a similar principle called "Rule 62!"

"Don't take yourself so god-damned seriously"

It's meant to be applied at all times!
  • No, it was entirely in response to the quoted passage. You guys I can deal with; you know me well enough to know when I'll let things slide, and when I have to moderate.....
    I know I'm going to get scolded for this, but I think you're wrong, Federica. If you going to "moderate," then moderate. Close the thread. Delete the thread. There is no need to resort to name-calling in an attempt to "moderate".
    Anyone using language liberally in that manner, when it's totally unnecessary is a F****** R***** himself, IMO.
    After all, this is a Buddhist site, right? Showing your disdain for a thread by resorting to the very thing in which you are showing contempt for is circular and samsaric logic. Maybe I took your comment the wrong way, but I saw it as a direct attack at LeonBasic and/or the author of that article. This is not proper moderation.

But hey, that is just my two cents. You're the mod. That is just my feedback.
    Hmm, this seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. It was a valid observation. Though I guess even the mods are not infallible, and have their unskillful days. :)
  • edited November 2011
    I think visitors might read where you wrote "F****** R***** " above and get the impression people here are ordinary human beings. Would that be bad?