Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Doubt Hindrance

FenixFenix Veteran
edited November 2011 in Meditation
I just think I need a environment where I can get support and alike people around me. (On a side question about the 5 hindrances, is it possible to just feel them all at the same time when meditating?). When I try and meditate, "There´s no point" "I cant do it" and a high level of energy, nervousness anxiety. So that I cant focus at all. When I begin I just feel kinda hopeless.

Sry for the personal note in the post

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    "I just think I need a environment where I can get support and alike people around me."

A sangha/zendo/meditation center would work. Do you have any around where you live? I can only assume you already looked into this, and if the case is that you don't have any around you: try a Buddhist chatroom.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=buddhist+chatroom
  • @mindgate

No, they seem to be scarce in a military base. sry, couldnt resist. Well, I have 2 months left of military left so thats what I think I was thinking about, that its so hard here to practice.

I dont really need advice, I just need support and a chance. what do you think?
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    @Fenix,

Try this. Sit down. Imagine you're waiting in a waiting room. Don't try to do anything and above all don't try to concentrate. Just watch the movements in the waiting room - thoughts, feelings and so on. Relax.
  • One thing that has helped me, is a Monk told me that even if it feels like I'm getting no benefit from the meditation, due to anxiousness and 'thinking', to just persevere for a bit. And I will benefit, just in the future at some point. His advice was sound.

I've got a pretty good meditation routine; I'm disciplined in this aspect. Maybe it just takes a bit of discipline?
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Hello:

Hindrances are mental states:

-Lust "i want that"
    -Aversion "i dont want that"
    -Slot and torpor "i am doll"
    -Restlessness "i am nervious, i am anxious, i feel like running out"
    -Doubt "i dont know if im doing it right".

If restlessness its arising u will have soon an aversion mind (i dont want restlessness). After that u will have a lust mind (i want a peacefull mind, not this). If u keep pushing it the restlessness will become bigger. When its bigger u will have doubt (I am doing it the wrong way, i dont know what to do, i dont know why it got even worst).

So as u see, they arise one at a time, but soon they act together :).

Hope it helps.

• I just think I need a environment where I can get support and alike people around me. (On a side question about the 5 hindrances, is it possible to just feel them all at the same time when meditating?). When I try and meditate, "There´s no point" "I cant do it" and a high level of energy, nervousness anxiety. So that I cant focus at all. When I begin I just feel kinda hopeless.

Sry for the personal note in the post
    Hi Fenix

Thanks for your post.

Well I am here to say that is completely, absolutely fine. As another poster said, just keep at it.

It may be hard to believe but it's working even when it doesn't feel like it sometimes. Perseverance furthers.

When doubt comes, that is fine, welcome him/her and keep sitting, that is true faith IMO.

Best wishes, and safe journeys,
    Abu