Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sitting in Chairs is not Zazen

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
My interview on conscious.tv is up. But it's kind of hard to find. First you have to go to this page:

http://www.conscious.tv/nonduality.html

Then you'll get a screen that looks like this:

See how I've circled where it says "traditions" and put an arrow showing where it is? Click there and it takes you to another page and on the top of that page on the right hand side you'll see my interview. Click on me and enjoy! Or go to this convenient link and see if that works http://bcove.me/5evkpoh3. I'm embedding it at the bottom of this page, but I'm using a new program that I'm not totally sure about.

Today I am in Antwerp, Belgium. I caught the intercity rail out of Brentwood, Essex yesterday, changed to the Hammersmith & City tube line at Liverpool Street station, arrived at King's Cross/St. Pancras, made my way to the Eurostar line, took a train under the English Channel and soon arrived in Bruxelles Midi station. There my friend Isabelle and her sister Melissa picked me up and drove me to Antwerp with a quick stop for some frietjes covered in mayonnaise and ketchup.

This weekend I'll be running two events in Antwerp; a talk on Saturday and a day of zazen on Sunday. Information can be found at http://www.rsyoga.eu/. Go to that page, then click on "workshops," then click on "12-13 November 2011 - Brad Warner - Antwerpen" and it's all there in plain Dutch.

Last weekend I led a day of meditation in Brentwood, Essex. Let me tell you a little about that.

http://hardcorezen.blogspot.com/2011/11/sitting-in-chairs-is-not-zazen-part-one.html

Comments

• Very interesting I'm just watching the video in your first link about adyashanti talking.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Very interesting I'm just watching the video in your first link about adyashanti talking.
    Enjoy!:)
  • @aura, you might be interested in 45:50, he talks about past lives experience, seeing them.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    I'm a huge fan of Adyashanti.

• I believe the Buddha sometimes meditated sitting on a chair. Focus on what to sit on/how to sit, other than having an erect spine, is imo just a cultural thing makes no difference in meditation.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I watched Brad Warner ... nice, straight stuff.
    edited November 2011
    I believe the Buddha sometimes meditated sitting on a chair. Focus on what to sit on/how to sit, other than having an erect spine, is imo just a cultural thing makes no difference in meditation.
    ;)
    I believe the Buddha sometimes meditated sitting on a chair. Focus on what to sit on/how to sit, other than having an erect spine, is imo just a cultural thing makes no difference in meditation.
    You may be right or you may be thinking of Maitreya.
  • And now an opposing point of view.

So according to Mr. Warner, only sitting on the floor or maybe a cushion with legs folded in lotus position is zazen? Wait, it can also be half lotus, and that's still zazen. Or is that only half zazen? OK, so the Seiza kneeling posture is also zazen, because that's also traditional, but only if someone has a doctor's excuse that keeps them from doing full lotus. So that's, what, quarter zen? And if someone is sitting lotus, but listening to rock music on earphones, are they still doing zazen, and if not, why not?

You see where this is going? It's confusing form with function. Zazen is sitting meditation. Period. Nothing more, no bull about traditional ways of sitting being the 'authentic' zazen. Zazen is sitting meditation. Sitting in a chair is not traditional Japanese or Asian zazen meditation posture, certainly. You know who should care one way or another? Traditional Japanese zen centers.

People sit in lotus on the floor to meditate because that's how the Eastern cultures sit in comfort -- on the floor, with legs folded because what else are you going to do with the legs that doesn't let people trip on them. They sit this way from the time they are babies. If Western people lived on the floor, we'd find lotus comfortable. And no, Mr. Warner, we don't sit in chairs because we're a lazy people. We don't sit on the floor because unlike the East, the floors aren't heated and our houses aren't designed with tiny rooms and we don't come from a culture where only royalty were even allowed furniture on threat of beheading. So we sit in chairs, mostly. Bit deal. It's as natural to us as sitting on a cushion is to a Japanese monk.

Zazen is sitting meditation. If you sit in meditation in a chair, that is zazen. If you twist your legs into a pretzel but don't meditate, you aren't doing zazen. What your butt sits on and how much you torture you legs has nothing to do with zazen.

So sit down. Meditate. There, you're doing zazen. Is it good or bad zazen? Even asking the question is wrong. Sit. Meditate. Anything else is widely missing the mark.
    I saw nothing in the Brad Warner clip to suggest better and worse ways of sitting. Did I miss something? I can imagine his saying "there is only one true way," but only as a tongue-in-cheek challenge to the rigid-virtue aficionados.
  • I really don't understand why people take such offense to Brad's view on this subject. He just says that sitting in a chair isn't zazen. No big deal. He doesn't say that it's not meditation, or anything else, just that it isn't zazen. If I sit in the sidecar of a bicycle I'm not riding a bicycle, I'm setting in the sidecar. Doesn't mean I'm less of a commuter, or that it's improper or anything. It just means that I'm not riding a bicycle.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2011
    To be clear, I'm not offended by his stand, I simply disagree with it and I gave my arguments as to why I think it's wrong to restrict the label of zazen to only lotus positions. I have great respect for Mr. Warner and we need more Western meditation teachers. I get the feeling he and I would have a great time visiting over a cup of coffee or tea.

If you'd like to make a case for zazen being exclusively lotus sitting, please do so. I could very well be wrong and I'm definitely interested in your logic. But if what I've been doing for the past ten years, since I gave up painful legs for comfortable meditation, isn't zazen, it's good enough for me.

The last doctor I went to told me I'd probably caused my knee problems due to the many hours as a young man sitting in meditation and pain should never be ignored. So for Western zazen, maybe we can focus more on what we're trying to do and less on how other people do it. Just something to think about.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2011
    The mind is more important in meditation than the body... The body influences the mind, but if your meditation is relying on a posture then it is not very adaptive and dependable and certainly not useful to people with disabilities preventing such postures. We don't do meditation to achieve states (in my teaching).
  • Sit down... shut up... and meditate. By the way, I am working my practice to the point that no matter what I am doing it would be considered a meditation. That is truly living in the now! (You are not this body, so why should it matter how you meditate... Just do it!)

Sit down... shut up... and meditate. By the way, I am working my practice to the point that no matter what I am doing it would be considered a meditation. That is truly living in the now! (You are not this body, so why should it matter how you meditate... Just do it!)

Exactly! Thanks for the reminder!
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I have never seen a story where the Buddha floats around telling people 'Posture doesn't really matter because whatever I am doing is meditation, man! No really!

Of course meditation is not dependent on any one posture or anything but the fact remains that the posture holds and every genuine Buddhist teacher/Master has cultivated in (typically) seated but regardless, formal, meditation periods over long periods of time.
  • Brad Warner can kiss MY lotus.

Like anything else, sitting in zazen is something that you have to condition yourself for. I still can't do the lotus position, but I can do the Burmese or 'tailor' posture, which is where the legs are folded in front but the feet sit on the floor rather than on the opposite thighs. I'm hoping to build up to the lotus gradually as my flexibility increases.

So far, the lack of lotus in my life hasn't stopped me from meditating. Whether that is 'zazen' according to some uptight purist is neither here nor there. A good meditation teacher - indeed, a good teacher of anything - will accept the current limitations of the student and not try to force them into something they aren't ready for, whilst encouraging them to test their ability from time to time to see if they can move on from where they started from. A good teacher doesn't sneer and say 'you're not doing it properly'.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    If I am just sitting, then that is zazen. But who cares what we call it or what others call it? If somebody says zazen is standing on your head, then I am not doing zazen and what does it matter to me?. Besides, if you are doing zazen instead of just sitting you are not doing zazen. Oh my, this is how religions are started. :p
  • Love the Philosoraptor shirt. Good listen overall.