Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it possible for highly enlightened beings** to be

Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
edited November 2011 in Philosophy
-- complete jerks and assholes - or is the imagined halo of peace and joyfulness really something real?

**Status posited for the sake of conversation especially on a Buddhist forum :-)

Comments

• i think there are various progressive paths in enlightenment.

one can "think" they are done with their path and then out of such "finality" create a super ego where they "think" they are beyond everything.

reality will tell them otherwise.

i believe humility, peace, joyfulness, compassion are qualities of the highest expression of an awakened being. these are natural products of deep realization.

can they still be an asshole? sure, they are still human. there is always potentiality for delusion and stupid actions.

do they still suffer? that is impossible to know. =]
  • I have meet highly enlightened beings (Diamond Sutra caveat immediately please) and the light and indescriptability suggests I defer to you on that. Thanks taiyak.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Of course they can, why not? :D
  • Of course they can, why not? :D
    Yes they can but there is a DEFINITE difference between being an asshole and BEING an asshole IMO.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I would think that it's not possible for a highly enlightened being to be anything, including enlightened. This is not to say that I may have met an enlightened being I thought was a jerk.
    Exactly, I had this thought after I posted the above. They can behave like an asshole but not be one, imo. It takes another enlightened being to know the difference! ;)
    I would think that it's not possible for a highly enlightened being to be anything, including enlightened.
    :bowdown:
  • I would think that it's not possible for a highly enlightened being to be anything, including enlightened.
    Oh really? Do they become wall flowers or something?
  • GuiGui Veteran
    They have stopped becoming.
    Perhaps they cannot become, but they can manifest.
  • They have stopped becoming.
    Indeed, and to know what that lives like eh, @Gui?

_/\_

Thanks,

Abu
  • edited November 2011
    If, as the Buddha said, Awakening and Nirvana are the absence of grasping, then I would think that truly enlightened beings wouldn't be capable of being jerks. The Buddha wasn't a jerk. There are lots of charlatans, though. That's what confuses people. If they accept the charlatans as enlightened, then they end up accepting all the flawed behavior as being part of the enlightenment package. That's a mistake, IMO.

Part of the problem may be that people expect enlightened beings to look the part. Wear robes of white, or maroon, or whatever color appropriate to a given tradition. So that's how the charlatans dress up. But as we've had a number of members testify here over the year, beings with enlightened attitudes and compassionate, virtuous behavior may be your next door neighbor or your favorite uncle. The 16th Karmapa said bodhisattvas are "all over the place. But they don't look like me."
  • i had wondered myself about this after seeing an old teacher get very angry a few times... and have come to the conclusion that someone who is very advanced, maybe even less than total enlightenment, is not likely to be an 'asshole' or do anything jerkish.

according to my understanding of how the Buddha defined enlightenment, one who is enlightened would have removed, completely, anger hate and ignorance from their mind. what would be left are things like compassion, love, equanimity. so i dont see how it would be possible for someone with a mind like that to be a jerk.
  • If, as the Buddha said, Awakening and Nirvana are the absence of grasping, then I would think that truly enlightened beings wouldn't be capable of being jerks. The Buddha wasn't a jerk. There are lots of charlatans, though. That's what confuses people. If they accept the charlatans as enlightened, then they end up accepting all the flawed behavior as being part of the enlightenment package. That's a mistake, IMO.
    I would have thought the problem was we have so many images/concepts/projections and beliefs of what highly (true) enlightened persons are supposed to be like etc that we can muddle it all up.

Jerk or no jerk - the standard remains: only until you are true, is it all true - and then the fear of charlatans (or not) naturally diminishes IMO. So until then, we can caveat all we like, but we are still on unsteady feet IMO.

As to kindness, I have found that part undeniable but what do I know :)

Best wishes,
    Abu

• what would be left are things like compassion, love, equanimity. so i dont see how it would be possible for someone with a mind like that to be a jerk.
    I guess we will know when we are there.

Thanks

_/\_

Abu
  • edited November 2011
    i had wondered myself about this after seeing an old teacher get very angry a few times... and have come to the conclusion that someone who is very advanced, maybe even less than total enlightenment, is not likely to be an 'asshole' or do anything jerkish.

according to my understanding of how the Buddha defined enlightenment, one who is enlightened would have removed, completely, anger hate and ignorance from their mind. what would be left are things like compassion, love, equanimity. so i dont see how it would be possible for someone with a mind like that to be a jerk.
    :thumbsup: This is why over the centuries and millennia spiritual leaders like the Dalai Lama have said to carefully observe the teacher's behavior, scope out their reputation, research the teacher thoroughly before deciding that this person is trustworthy and has overcome their afflictions. Didn't the Buddha give a similar message in the Kalama Sutra?

We don't have to be enlightened ourselves in order to recognize the qualities of an enlightened being. We do have to be alert, though. We may miss quite a few simply because they're humble and ordinary-looking. There seems to be something in human psychology that has a need for putting people on a pedestal and for expecting pedestal-worthy people to have a certain type of appearance and garb, and to have cultivated some charisma. Those things are easy to fake. The real deal is more difficult to fake. Genuine humility, wisdom and compassion aren't easy to fake consistently.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Hard to say; I doubt any of us have ever met any highly enlightened beings ;)
    Enlightened beings are all sweetness and light :rolleyes:

And if they piss you off, well, they're jerks. Call the Dharma police!
  • Hard to say; I doubt any of us have ever met any highly enlightened beings ;)
    Another one of those perhaps well meaning but misinformed generalisations spread by some.

• I would have thought the problem was we have so many images/concepts/projections and beliefs of what highly (true) enlightened persons are supposed to be like etc that we can muddle it all up.
    Chuck the preconceived notions and projections. That's all illusion and clinging, anyway. Pay attention instead to who around you is kind, giving, thoughtful and wise. It might be your child's school janitor, or a nurse in the hospital emergency room. Enlightened beings are everywhere, but most of them don't glow, preach and seek power or influence.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Call the Dharma police!
    Knock knock. "This is the Dharma police!"

The door opens. "Did you call your teacher an asshole today?"

:D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    @Tosh lol! ^_^

I find this view alarming, that enlightened masters can behave badly, and that we're not capable of discerning an enlightened being from an ordinary one. As soon as we give a class of people a free pass on virtue, virtue being one of the foundations of the Buddha's teachings, we open a Pandora's box. We set ourselves and others up for abuse. And there are plenty of gurus willing to oblige, as history shows.

The Dalai Lama made an interesting statement in this regard. He said that no matter how highly regarded the teacher appears to be, no matter how long he's been practicing or how long the retreats he's completed, if his conduct is inappropriate, "his practice has been wrong-footed. There is a gap between the Dharma and his life."

This doesn't mean an enlightened being fits the stereotype of a glowing, jolly Santa Claus. It does mean that they should practice non-harming and non-attachment. It's reasonable to expect that they have eliminated afflictive emotions. That's what enlightenment is about, isn't it?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    No Enlightened teachers will not perform the conduct of assholes or jerks because these are not skillful methods for helping others, Rather Enlightened teachers demonstrate the 6 perfections and a deep knowledge born from personal insight and scholarship into the Dharma. In short such a being would be the complete embodiment of the Sutric teachings and inner teachings of Tantric transformation.
    Ok, take the story of Marpa and Milarepa.

Mila goes out of his way to find his master. When he finds him, he goes out of his way to receive the teachings. Every time Marpa just tell him to f*** o**. Then Mila begs more. Marpa says, do this work, build this tower, take it down, do it again, you stupid a******, you can't do anything right. This goes on for a very long time. Mila almost commits suicide. Finally, Marpa says, ok, I will teach you. And Mila becomes deeply enlightened in no time.

Abuse or not?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Ok, take the story of Marpa and Milarepa.

Mila goes out of his way to find his master. When he finds him, he goes out of his way to receive the teachings. Every time Marpa just tell him to f*** o**. Then Mila begs more. Marpa says, do this work, build this tower, take it down, do it again, you stupid a******, you can't do anything right. This goes on for a very long time. Mila almost commits suicide. Finally, Marpa says, ok, I will teach you. And Mila becomes deeply enlightened in no time.

Abuse or not?
    More like purification of very heavy negativity. :)

• edited November 2011
    What Marpa put Milarepa through is like the Catholic practices of extreme penance for criminals or for those committing transgressions based in extreme pride (which Tibetans call "ego", at least when speaking English). The goal was to remake the personality to a degree, and instill humility, similar to practices in Tibetan Buddhism aimed at "destroying the ego". But that type of penance went out of practice at least two hundred years ago. There's no place for it in modern times. And even when such penance was required, it was not applied indiscriminately to all worshipers. It was reserved for extreme cases, only. This nuance seems to escape Tibetan teachers, judging by what is said about Trungpa in the new film about him ('he believed the Dharma should be taught by abuse"), and by observation at some teachings. I'm told that some Zen teachers use similar tactics. This isn't a Dharma that I'm able to recognize as such.
    edited November 2011
    Agreed. I was just giving this example to point out that something that may be outwardly judged as abuse is not necessarily so. Intention and effect are more important than the behaviour itself. What do you think?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2011
    A "highly enlightened being" will do whatever he likes, in spite of any suffering he causes in others, because this person's followers have granted him permission to break the rules and he knows that he's special.

A Buddha who knows he's nothing special will do whatever it takes to help people, because he sees his own daily struggles reflected in the people around him.

Enlightenment is easy. It's learning how to be nothing special that makes someone a Buddha.

But this is only my own observation, from meeting some of these highly enlightened beings. None of them had anything to teach me. I already knew how to act like I was something special. The Teacher who struggles with his own demons, though, and has attained a clear mind in spite of them, might have a trick or two that I can use.
  • edited November 2011
    I've heard there are teachers out there who insist they're not to be treated as anything special, and some even prefer not to be addressed by their title. If these really exist, they'd be the types to look for and sign up with.

@Cinorjer I'm not sure an enlightened being would take the opportunity to get away with harmful acts just because his adoring followers would allow it. Someone posted a story here earlier about D.T. Suzuki, who was confronted by an infatuated follower. He told her it's good to respect and revere the master. He said, "I have enough discipline for both of us." Why aren't there more of those around? That's my idea of an enlightened master. I think those who take the "free pass on virtue", as Dakini puts it, are only demonstrating their lack of enlightenment.
  • @compassionate_warrior, I wish there was an easy answer to our instinct to invest emotion and loyalty onto our leaders and cross into hero worship. I think it has to do with our instinctive bonding with parent figures. Once someone takes the role of the "adult" in the room, it's hard to keep from becoming the child in the relationship, with all that represents in potential for harm.

But we also need the Beginner's Mind, the eagerness to learn. People too invested in constantly arguing to listen is not learning, either.

A person can be both my hero and idol and Teacher, but still remain a human being with all the limitations that implies.
  • edited November 2011
    @Cinorjer Thanks for reminding me of a point I wanted to mention. Some of the problems we've heard of arise because many disciples are looking to the Teacher to be the emotionally-healthy parental figure they never had. Disciples who approach the student-teacher relationship more from the position of equals, in terms of two human beings worthy of respect, or who view the Teacher as something more akin to a professor, experience fewer problems and are less likely to throw away the rulebook with regard to the Teacher.

I think its' human to want to look up to someone and express sincere devotion. The catch is that you have to put on your critical thinking cap first, before choosing who the object of your reverence will be. And of course, maintaining healthy boundaries is key. That isn't possible for students who haven't experienced healthy boundaries while growing up.

On the other hand, Tibetans seem to have no qualms about bestowing god-like status on their lamas. Maybe it works for them. Or maybe there's more to that scenario than meets the eye.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    I think its' human to want to look up to someone and express sincere devotion.
    Really? hmmm. What am I missing, LOL?
  • @possibilities It's an aspect of humanity, in contrast to non-humans. That doesn't necessarily mean it's universal within humanity. But it's been a recurring theme throughout human history.
  • Hard to say; I doubt any of us have ever met any highly enlightened beings ;)
    Another one of those perhaps well meaning but misinformed generalisations spread by some.
    yea i agree with this. I would imagine running across a true Arahat is tough but there are a lot of very highly attained people that are very accessible in the Buddhist community.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I find the OP question to be utterly pointless.
    An Enlightened being 'tells it like it is'. It's the unenlightened person that considers them to be 'complete jerks and assholes' because their perception is flawed, disillusioned and prejudiced, and they have a lesser comprehension of what the enlightened being is communicating.

Perception is often deception, and whom you perceive to be a "complete jerk and asshole" will not be perceived that way by someone else. Therefore, the problem - is yours.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2011
    "Total ease, complete calm, absolute freedom, perfect happiness & pure peace…
    Absence of any uncertainty, doubt, confusion, any delusion and all ignorance…
    Presence of confidence, certainty, understanding all, and direct experience…
    Absence of any greed, lust, desire, urge, attraction, hunger, and temptation…
    Presence of imperturbable and serene composure in an all stilled equanimity…
    Absence of all hate, anger, aversion, hostility, irritation, & stubborn rigidity…
    Presence of universal goodwill: An infinite & all-embracing friendly kindness…

No. :) A highly enlightened being is still a human being yes. But a human being with an almost perfectly purified mind. A purified mind is incapable of "being an asshole". If a person acts in a manner that causes suffering for others, that is evidence and proof that they are not a highly enlightened being.
    edited November 2011
    A purified mind is incapable of "being an asshole".
    Agreed.

If a person acts in a manner that causes suffering for others, that is evidence and proof that they are not a highly enlightened being.
    I don't think so.

Gandhi surely caused a lot of suffering to the British governors of the Raj.

Eye of the beholder.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You consider Gandhi to have been enlightened?

Interesting....

Gandhi never purposely caused suffering to the British Governors of the Raj.

Gandhi took several actions - his followers emulating him - which were solely designed to exert the human rights of the national citizens of India.
    That the British Government took umbrage is besides the point.
    He had right on his side, as the eventual independence of the country, proves....

However: he had a lifelong dispute with his sons, which is sad.
    I don't know if Gandhi was enlightened or not, but I do consider him a bodhisattva.

That he never purposely caused suffering and that the British took umbrage IS my whole point. That from their point of view he was an a******.
  • It would be helpful to define "highly enlightened being". Stream entery? Arhat? Abiding in non dual awareness? How many fetters are ended?

Which model or map are we using to define what enlightenment is.

Enlightenment and nirvana are different. One can by definition be enligtened but still not realize nirvana and vice versa.

From the definitions of an arhat on the four pah model there is a pseudo end to the path, but nevertheless it is quite the accomplishment. If you take the ten fetters model then the arhat hasn't even gone past the third.

See what i mean?

So define where the being is at on the path. Based on where they are then they can actively be jerks or nice people. They may have realized truth but they still might have remaining karmic tendencies.

But an arhat by definition has attained nirvana thus they cannot have anymore karma. They are fact still bounded by the karmic laws and past karma. But there is no more becoming or grasping this no suffering. It really would be hard for an arhat to be an intentional dick. For that would force a subject/object duality not inherent in reality. But i am sure its possible, just probability wise unlikely.

But there are beautiful models of enlightened beings who had various skills and attainments as highly enligtened beings. Some were known for their kindness, others for their teaching style, others for their patience, etc. everyone has their quality they excell at. A buddhas expression is highly individual. But there is a general positive quality to a buddha. But who knows for sure?

Something to ponder about until we all get there.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2011

If a person acts in a manner that causes suffering for others, that is evidence and proof that they are not a highly enlightened being.

I don't think so.

Gandhi surely caused a lot of suffering to the British governors of the Raj.

Eye of the beholder.
    Disagree. :) The British governors of the Raj caused suffering for British governors of the Raj. :)

Yes. But would they say so? :)
  • I don't know if Gandhi was enlightened or not, but I do consider him a bodhisattva.

That he never purposely caused suffering and that the British took umbrage IS my whole point. That from their point of view he was an a******.
    I see your point, and it is the only defense possible against setting standards of behavior for the "enlightened" among us. It's not unique, you know. It's used in every religion to justify abuse. It's the "(Mortal/unenlightened) minds are not (worthy/capable) of judging those who have (transcended humanity/been chosen by God" argument.

There's one glaring flaw in the argument. In every single case where the behavior of the enlightened or prophet has seemed to be selfish and destructive, and this argument was used to excuse the behavior, it turned out in the end that- surprise-the behavior was exactly what it appeared to be: selfish and destructive.

As for Ghandi, he might have been a thorn in the occupying British administration, but everything I read tells me that except for blatent racists who sneered at all Indians, many of the British respected the man and understood exactly what he was doing, they simply didn't want to give up the riches that India was funneling to them. And Ghandi respected the British so much he counted on their basic goodness to eventually assert itself and cause them to admit their occupation was wrong. But even Ghandi never claimed to be an enlightened guru or anything but a man trying to lead a non-violent resistance.

• Asshole-ishness is a very curious state. Easily identifiable - it suggests many either have the qualities or are very familiar with them through prolonged exposure. Perceiving "asshole" behavior then, is probably more identification than observation. It follows then too that the supposed scarcity of "enlightened" beings contributes to the difficulty in identifying them successfully. Behavior of the enlightened, when defined by unenlightened standards (basically, by assholes) is delusional in the sense that the definition is confined to a defiled source - rendering such labeling moot. Knowing a being is "enlightened" then, is highly suspect - as opposed to knowing one is an "asshole" - which is very simple. This is not to say that the so-called enlightened might not, at times, act like an asshole - or that an asshole might not occasionally have a moment of enlightenment. All in all, there seems to be an unspoken alert to be on the lookout for the "asshole" and most of us forget to look at ourselves on that watch.
  • My personal opinion is that we (at least the members of this forum) are all more ore less enlightened. We get some of it.
    Also we are all, more or less, jerks and assholes. No need to give examples right now.

We all have the potential of enlightened life; we all have the potential of acting like a jerk.
    And both potentials manifest at times, under different circumstances.

• My personal opinion is that we (at least the members of this forum) are all more ore less enlightened. We get some of it.
    Also we are all, more or less, jerks and assholes. No need to give examples right now.

We all have the potential of enlightened life; we all have the potential of acting like a jerk.
    And both potentials manifest at times, under different circumstances.

spot on!
  • An Enlightened being 'tells it like it is'. It's the unenlightened person that considers them to be 'complete jerks and assholes' because their perception is flawed, disillusioned and prejudiced, and they have a lesser comprehension of what the enlightened being is communicating.

Perception is often deception, and whom you perceive to be a "complete jerk and asshole" will not be perceived that way by someone else. Therefore, the problem - is yours.
    Well that certainly sounds like how you live your life, and conduct, fede but I am not sure that is equated with all enlightened beings :rolleyes:

• I would have thought the problem was we have so many images/concepts/projections and beliefs of what highly (true) enlightened persons are supposed to be like etc that we can muddle it all up.
    Chuck the preconceived notions and projections. That's all illusion and clinging, anyway. Pay attention instead to who around you is kind, giving, thoughtful and wise. It might be your child's school janitor, or a nurse in the hospital emergency room. Enlightened beings are everywhere, but most of them don't glow, preach and seek power or influence.
    Hi cw

I think there is a difference between people whom are 'nice'/kind - of whom there are many, many I think in this world - and the insight/understanding of the awakened - as we use this term in terms of Dharma pracatice'. There are different insights and understandings of these people. This is not to say these attributes are mutually exclusive - but neither are they equatable as the same.

Of course YMMV

_/\_

• Behavior of the enlightened, when defined by unenlightened standards (basically, by assholes) is delusional in the sense that the definition is confined to a defiled source - rendering such labeling moot. Knowing a being is "enlightened" then, is highly suspect - as opposed to knowing one is an "asshole" - which is very simple. This is not to say that the so-called enlightened might not, at times, act like an asshole - or that an asshole might not occasionally have a moment of enlightenment. All in all, there seems to be an unspoken alert to be on the lookout for the "asshole" and most of us forget to look at ourselves on that watch.
    Well said, thanks @IronRabbit - and I posted quite loosely/roughly so thankyou all for your inputs, and patience.

I agree with those whom have said there are no real or easy standards to evaluate by. And those of us whom react (at least I speak for myself) are probably acting in and out of ego - then whom is the fool - which is why even Masters can really test us and perhaps goodly so. Nevertheless:

I would repeat: until we are there ourself, we can probably just trust our own intuition, guidance and the many good teachings/guidance and instructions left by our very good teachers: the Buddha, the Zen Ancestors of Old, Tibetan teachers, Theravadan Masters etc When we know for ourself, then the fear of others and whom/what they are naturally dissipates as we stand on firm ground ourself at last. And to this, I make for all our encouragement.

The Dhamma is true as is what the Buddha taught in every sense of liberation and transformation.

Just another audience member,
    Abu

• It would be helpful to define "highly enlightened being". Stream entery? Arhat? Abiding in non dual awareness? How many fetters are ended?

Which model or map are we using to define what enlightenment is.

Enlightenment and nirvana are different. One can by definition be enligtened but still not realize nirvana and vice versa.

From the definitions of an arhat on the four pah model there is a pseudo end to the path, but nevertheless it is quite the accomplishment. If you take the ten fetters model then the arhat hasn't even gone past the third.

See what i mean?

So define where the being is at on the path. Based on where they are then they can actively be jerks or nice people. They may have realized truth but they still might have remaining karmic tendencies.

But an arhat by definition has attained nirvana thus they cannot have anymore karma. They are fact still bounded by the karmic laws and past karma. But there is no more becoming or grasping this no suffering. It really would be hard for an arhat to be an intentional dick. For that would force a subject/object duality not inherent in reality. But i am sure its possible, just probability wise unlikely.

But there are beautiful models of enlightened beings who had various skills and attainments as highly enligtened beings. Some were known for their kindness, others for their teaching style, others for their patience, etc. everyone has their quality they excell at. A buddhas expression is highly individual. But there is a general positive quality to a buddha. But who knows for sure?

Something to ponder about until we all get there.
    Thanks @taiyaki

It was a naughty term to use and I was being silly. Which is why I used the ** caveat also - posited just for discussion purposes..

And which I still do. In theory, there are no enlightened people and yet of course there are degrees of genuine understanding. So to say there is no such thing is also not entirely on kilter.

Of course I can look up various modes of models that we in our religion can also posit, but at the end of the day, I am aware of knowledge of the transcendental aspects of Dharma practice. And I know of people with vast amounts of understanding (NOT I stress, intellectual understanding or comprehension or memory or repetition) and clear, precise, seeing in a Dhammic sense.. But I have seen that the standard of those whom I have once admired/admire IS kindness, a very different type of kindness perhaps supplemented by a much larger wisdom -- so I think without the genuine wings of compassion for others and self, there is only so far any of us could travel in our paths.

Anyway posited as theory, and as per on a forum, we can only get that far anyway.

With best wishes,
    Abu