Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What were Buddha's views regarding how to properly use time?

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hi All,

As per Buddhist scriptures, if somebody has read those, please let me know what were Gautam Buddha's views regarding how to properly use time.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I don't know what the 'scriptures' may say, but I imagine that anyone who takes up a Buddhist practice will have his or her ordinary view of 'time' seriously challenged and revised.

My view: Time is a comfort and a convenience. The thing that matters is what you do ... not what time it is when you do it.
  • i'm not sure what the buddha said specifically, but in my humble opinion we have very little time.

we are going to die this is a fact. life is short. so i am sure the buddha would urge us to use this human birth to its fullest potential by practicing and realizing the dharma.

this is not to run away from life, but rather to learn to live in relationship towards life and find the happiness from all conditions.

in the face of death all seems little. what matters most to us all? time is short! so that reality will force us to really examine what is important in our lives and what we need to work on.

• In Buddhism the "proper use of time" is the clear intention to use one's time and energy no more and no less than:
    for the benefit of all sentient beings.
    a group in which oneself is also, of course, included.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Buddha's last words were "Behold, O monks, this is my last advice to you. All component things in the world are changeable. They are not lasting. Work hard to gain your own salvation. Do your best."
    Use your time to free yourself from samsara.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Buddha's last words were "Behold, O monks, this is my last advice to you. All component things in the world are changeable. They are not lasting. Work hard to gain your own salvation. Do your best."
    Strive to free yourself from samsara.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Ooops...
  • According to the teachings, since we never know if this day may be our last, we are to dedicate our time to practicing the Dharma. That can take any number of forms. Meditation, charitable work, Dharma study, teaching the Dharma to others who are receptive, if one is in a position to do that.
  • We should hurry and put out the fire before it is too late. That would be my view.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    Hi All,
    Thanks. A query - after attaining enlightenment, did Buddha preached - is there some book in which these preachings are recorded? Does anyone has some information about this thing.
  • You might try:

THE TEACHING OF BUDDHA

BUKKYO DENDO KYOKAI
    (Society for the Promotion of Buddhism)

3-14, Shiba 4-chome,
    Minato-ku, TokyoJapan, 108-0014
    Phone: (03) 3455-5851
    Fax: (03) 3798-2758

email:bdk@bdk.jp.org
    http://www.bdk.jp.org

Namaste
    Hi All,
    Thanks. A query - after attaining enlightenment, did Buddha preached - is there some book in which these preachings are recorded? Does anyone has some information about this thing.
  • Hello:

U can also check MN-131 : Bhaddekaratta Sutta: An Auspicious Day , where the Buddha teaches time in the sense of past-present-future

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.131.than.html

Hope it helps!.