Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Science Delusion

SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
edited December 2011 in Arts & Writings
When looking for Dawkin's "God Delusion", I discovered this title by Rupert Sheldrake. Due to be released in January. Looks like it may be an exciting read:

The Science Delusion by Rupert Sheldrake

The science delusion is the belief that science already understands the nature of reality. The fundamental questions are answered, leaving only the details to be filled in. In this book, Dr Rupert Sheldrake, one of the world's most innovative scientists, shows that science is being constricted by assumptions that have hardened into dogmas. The sciences would be better off without them: freer, more interesting, and more fun.

According to the dogmas of science, all reality is material or physical. The world is a machine, made up of dead matter. Nature is purposeless. Consciousness is nothing but the physical activity of the brain. Free will is an illusion. God exists only as an idea in human minds, imprisoned within our skulls.

But should science be a belief-system, or a method of enquiry? Sheldrake shows that the materialist ideology is moribund; under its sway, increasingly expensive research is reaping diminishing returns.

In the skeptical spirit of true science, Sheldrake turns the ten fundamental dogmas of materialism into exciting questions, and shows how all of them open up startling new possibilities.

The Science Delusion will radically change your view of what is possible. and give you new hope for the world.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Delusion-Rupert-Sheldrake/dp/1444727923

Comments

• Ah, Rubert Sheldrake. One of the "scientist experts" always quoted by the Creationist groups. Yes, he has a PHD in Biochemistry, but has spent his career promoting a theory of his that instead of DNA, there is a "morphic field" that actually connects everything in the universe and determines what form you end up with and even how you think. Since this theory cannot be tested and you cannot prove this morphic field does or does not exist, any more than you can prove God does or does not exist, he has spent a lot of time blaming scientists for being closed minded.

As a non-scientist but edgumacated bystander, the problem I see is that the "dogmas of science" listed above are bogus. Also materialism is a buzzword by believers in ghosts and psychic powers and such to denote the enemy: people who insist on actual evidence to support conclusions.

Science is not a set of beliefs or even assumptions, but a method of enquiry that leads to conclusions. First, you must provide clear evidence that something exists. Then, it becomes something that science can examine and explain.

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited December 2011
    While I'm not familiar with Sheldrake's research, to me a lot of - how should I put it not to use the word "assumptions" - views that scients hold that make up their context in which they conduct their experiments, don't seem to be based on results of true open-minded scientific inquiry, but instead are views which have roots in the past, including Christianity. A convincing (for me) analysis of this was done by Alan Wallace in his book, Embracing Mind. Whether I agree with it or not, showing that such assumptions (like materialism) are contingent and can be derived from the past rather than any sort of evidence is enough to question (note - I didn't say reject) their validity.
    edited December 2011
    Anyway, I'm just exploring these topics, hence going to read "God Delusion" first, I just thought I'd present a counterbalance. Anyway, I've already been officially certified by @MindGate to be an atheist :D
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I've been interested in Sheldrake's studies on certain psychic phenomena. I agree that while science is intended to be free inquiry, in its battle with Christian dogma some have taken entrenched views stated in the OP. Maybe I'll read the book, but like @Cinorjer said his main hypothesis isn't very testable and somewhat sketchy so he may be biased by his frustration with academia.
  • Thank heaven for quantum theory! Not so materialist, refreshingly wild and wooly. Let's not lump all scientists into the same basket.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    This man is as much of a scientist as Deepak Chopra is.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Quantum theory is just in the making, and much of the quantum theory that is talked about by people such as this man, or Deepak Chopra, is just a horrendously distorted form of actual quantum theory. This willful ignorance of the actual theory to make it more "spiritual" really does bother me.

For the most part, scientists believed in Newtonian physics, which was very mechanical and materialistic, for a long time. However, recently, we have begun to see that things on a smaller level (i.e. electrons) do not always act predictably, as Newtonian physics says they should. So, quantum theory was created in an attempt to explain why certain things happen. There are numerous parts of this theory and not all scientists agree with their premises. A lot of it is hypothetical stuff, not backed up by facts (such as string theory). These hypothesis as put as "fact" by people such as Deepak Chopra or Rupert Sheldrake which is incorrect. Sure, they could be correct, but if you look at the evidence for and against, you still end up at "could be, but we don't know." Its the same logic with the existence of the Judeo-Christian God. He could exist, but we don't know. / all of this is coming from a guy with a 10th grade public education. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :) /

I'm a big Dawkins fan because he actually knows what he is talking about when he says stuff. He just doesn't make stuff up or put things as fact unless they have substantial evidence for it.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Science does not have dogma. Why? Science does not run on absolutes. It would be horrible if world ran on absolutes. This is why I like science. I need proof before I can believe something.

I got a video for your anti-science people:

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I'm a big Dawkins fan because he actually knows what he is talking about when he says stuff.
    Why don't you create a Dawkins thread, so those of us who don't know him can become acquainted with his ideas, and we can discuss?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I guess the question is, can something be subjectivly knowable without it being a delusion or a lie? Is the only real knowledge objectivly known?

To me what the Buddha teaches is subjective knowledge. We still have to put it through a rigorous testing to find out the truth of it. Today we can look at the results of fMRI scans and medical studies to objectivly see that the methods work. I wonder how all the people who practiced Buddhism succesfully in the past managed to do so without a proper study to let them know if they were right or not?

Science is great and the benefits have worked wonders for humanity. The error, in my view, that some make is not waiting for proof before believing in something but the active assertion that without proof something isn't true.

Real science doesn't have dogma, true. But that doesn't stop some from turning it into one.
    @B5C - nobody is talking about being anti-science, rather about turning science into dogma, as @person put it.