Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Delicate Subject.

2»

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I can see why you chose a flower for your icon, Fed!

Palzang
  • queristquerist Explorer
    edited March 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Well, aren't they? :crazy:

Yes, we are.

-Q
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    LOL!!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    I can see why you chose a flower for your icon, Fed!

Palzang

Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in....?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    O ye of the flowery speech!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    An intersting Mahayana teaching by Nichiren wrote in "Passions are Awakening" states......

"When one chants "Namu-myoho-renge-kyo," then, even during love-making, the passions are awakening and the sufferings of life and death are nirvana."

Dear dawn and Mike,

Well I must say thats some wierd lovemaking noises that this writer came up with...

What about the traditional "Ahh" or "Ohh" or as in BF's case, "Sorry".:D

teehee.

P.S. Hope Buddhafoot doesn't discover this...:cool:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Dear dawn and Mike,

Well I must say thats some wierd lovemaking noises that this writer came up with...

What about the traditional "Ahh" or "Ohh" or as in BF's case, "Sorry".:D

teehee.

P.S. Hope Buddhafoot doesn't discover this...:cool:

Hey!

You said you wouldn't tell!

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    sorry BF.

just joking my friend-yes, at your expense, but oh well. teehee.

kind regards,

Xrayman
  • edited March 2006
    This thread touches on a topic I have thought lots about. I do not share a view that renunciation of sexual desire is the same as renunciation of other poisons like greed etc. Sexual feelings are a natural part of the body we live in. Our existence is indebted to it and it can be used to express the highest and deepest affections. It can be a temptation (unskillful? is that the word?) but it is neutral in it's physical presence really, Why the need to erase it?

Just becuase it can bring you to a hot point of desire does not mean that all sexual desire should be seens as a threat to equanimity. Yeah, it is all consuming at cetain points in time, few points actually, and then that passes. . Hunger can also be like this, sleepiness, etc anything phsycial has that possibility. Do we make eating and sleep soemthing to avoid at all costs? Simplistic analogy yes, but you get my point.

I do not belive one needs to have no sexual desire to be free form attachments and to me, being free of attachments is more what the whole letting go of desire is about.

On another question, this may seem like I am being sarcastic but I am not. I hear people state with authority that prositution is a harmful activity. But is this as universal as it is protrayed?

Why is it harmful for one to trade sex for something else with two consenting adults? And don't make up imaginary instances of someone may be cheating. There can be all sorts of variables, I am just asking about the sex bartering.part. Prostitution does'nt equal abuse always. ( Often but not always) What is that harmful?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hi Latina,

It's not that sex is bad or good, of course. It's desire that is the issue, and what desire is stronger than sex? The Buddha taught that desire is the root cause of all the suffering we endure, so by practicing renunciation (NOT repression, mind you) we seek to reduce desire. By reducing desire, it becomes easier to attain enlightenment by removing the obscurations that prevent us from seeing our true nature. Remember that our very existence is based on desire. The dualistic nature of our minds is based on desire, our senses arise from desire, we live in a desire realm, so of course giving up sex is difficult, really difficult. And it's not required of anyone but those who take ordination. It is perfectly fine to remain a lay practitioner and still maintain a sexual relationship, but even a lay practitioner benefits greatly from practicing sexual restraint, such as not having multiple partners, engaging in harmful sexual practices, etc.

Palzang
  • edited March 2006
    Aren't there differences between the traditions on 'desire'? Some renounce, and others see it as useful for transformation?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Not in any Buddhist traditions.