Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vegan/Vegetarian Cooking

edited December 2011 in Diet & Habits
I have been experimenting with different recipes for vegan entrees. The recipes I post have been tasted and loved by my wife and I (she is a real picky eater ;) )
Most of the recipes come from my favorite vegan book titles: Veganomicon. Geat book for any beginning vegan or vegitarian. The first half explains proper cooking methods, different types of meat replacement (tofu, seitan,) and great tips on things a vegan would keep stock in the pantry.
I will go ahead and post a recipe I love and I will try to add one a day. Feel free to add your own and maybe we can eventully come up with a newbuddhist.com Cookbook!

This one is a fast and easy recipe that is flavorful. Enjoy!

Saut'eed Spinach and Tomatoes
Serves 4
Time :15 minutes

This basic sauteed spinach recipe complements any asian meal or italian meal. You can make the Italian version by omitting the ginger and adding toasted pine nuts, and using olive oil instead of peanut oil.

1 spinach bunch. roots discarded, and washed well. (about 6 cups, loosely packed)
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 small onion, chopped finely
3 cloves of galic,minced (or more if you like)
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into a little less than 1/2 inch dices
juice of 1/2 lemon or lime

Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. saute the onions in the oil for about 2 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, and salt. saute for about another 30 seconds or so. Add the tomatoes and saute until moisture begins to release, about two minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it is wilted. Add splashes of water to make the spinach cook faster without burning. Sprinkle with lemon or lime juice and serve!

We will sometimes just use this as the main dish, and serve it over a plateful of whole wheat rice! Its good over couscous too.

Comments

• An authentic Pad Thai recipe for real vegetarian Thai food lovers, or those who want a lighter noodle dish without the meat. This Pad Thai recipe offers lots of protein in the form of eggs (or soft tofu for vegans), and ground nuts. And because it's made with rice noodles, Pad Thai can also be made gluten-free. Although vegetables are not strictly part of traditional Pad Thai, I've added some bok choy which tastes yummy with the noodles and makes this dish even more nutritious. Try it - you'll love it!

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
    •8 oz. dried Pad Thai rice noodles, OR enough for 2 people (linguini-width)
    •2 eggs (vegans can substitute 1/2 cup soft tofu - see instructions below*)
    •4 cloves garlic, minced
    •1 shallot (OR 1/4 cup purple onion), finely chopped
    •3-4 "heads" of baby bok choy, or other Chinese cabbage, roughly chopped
    •2 cups bean sprouts
    •2 green onions, sliced
    •1/3 cup fresh coriander/cilantro
    •1/4 cup ground (or well-chopped) peanuts (OR substitute cashews or slivered almonds)
    •PAD THAI SAUCE:
    •3/4 Tbsp. tamarind paste (available at Asian/East Indian food stores)
    •1/4 cup hot water
    •3+1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce (or gluten-free soy sauce)
    •1/2 to 2 tsp. chili sauce (to taste), OR 1-2 fresh red chilies, minced
    •3 Tbsp. brown sugar
    •OTHER:
    •3-4 Tbsp. oil for stir-frying
    •2-3 Tbsp. vegetable or faux chicken stock
    •lime wedges for serving

Preparation:

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and remove from heat. Soak noodles in the hot water for 6-10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Tip: Noodles are ready to drain when they are soft enough to eat, but still firm and a little bit "crunchy". The noodles will finish cooking when they are fried.
    2.Dissolve tamarind paste in the hot water. Add the other pad thai sauce ingredients and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add as much or as little chili sauce as you prefer, but don't skimp on the sugar (you need it to balance the sourness of the tarmaind). Set aside.
    3.Place your wok (or large frying pan) over medium-high heat. Add 1-2 Tbsp. oil plus the garlic and shallot. Stir-fry 1 minute to release the fragrance.
    4.Add the bok choy plus the stock. Stir-fry 2 minutes, or until bok choy is bright green and slightly softened.
    5.Push ingredients aside and add 1/2 Tbsp. more oil to the center of the wok/pan. Add the eggs (if using) and stir-fry briefly to scramble them.
    6.Push eggs aside and add a little more oil to the middle of the wok/pan. Now add the drained noodles and 1/3 of the sauce. Stir-fry everything together for 1 minute using 2 utensils and a tossing motion (like tossing a salad).
    7. Add a little more sauce and continue stir-frying in the same way for 1-2 more minutes, or until the noodles begin to soften and become sticky. Reduce heat to medium if they begin to stick and burn.
    8.Add the bean sprouts plus the remaining sauce. Stir-fry to incorporate everything together for 1-3 more minutes, or until noodles are done. Noodles are cooked to perfection when they are soft but still deliciously chewy and a little bit sticky.
    9.Remove from heat and taste-test, adding more vegetarian fish sauce or soy sauce if desired for more salt/flavor.
    10.To serve, scoop noodles onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with the green onion, coriander/cilantro, and ground nuts. Add wedges of fresh-cut lime on the side. Serve immediately and ENJOY!. (Thai chili sauce can also be served on the side for those who likes their noodles extra spicy).

Pad Thai Tip: When I make this recipe, I like to double the sauce. Then I keep adding more as I fry the noodles until I'm happy with the taste (I like the flavor strong).

*If using soft tofu instead of egg: Add it when you add the noodles. It will break up into small bits and be distributed throughout the dish, just as egg would.
    http://thaifood.about.com/od/vegetarianthairecipes/r/padthaiveg.htm
  • K’s Potato Leek Soup

3 tablespoons butter
    3 leeks, thinly sliced*
    1 medium or large onion, chopped
    6 – 8 russet potatoes, thinly sliced**
    3 1/2 cups Vegetable broth (or enough to barely cover potatoes)
    1 cup heavy cream
    salt to taste
    fresh ground black pepper to taste

1) Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat then add onions and leeks. Cook, stirring, until onions are limp and just slightly brown.

2) Add sliced potatoes to saucepan then pour in enough chicken broth to just barely cover the potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher, mash and stir potatoes until desired consistency is reached. As you mash the potatoes and the soup thickens, turn down heat and stir frequently with a large spoon to prevent scorching on the bottom.

3) Add one cup of heavy cream (or more if you desire) and salt and black pepper to taste. Cook 15 minutes more over low heat, stirring frequently, then remove from heat and serve.

Notes: *Make sure to clean leeks thoroughly and slice only the white and light green part of the leeks. **You don’t need to peel the potatoes as the peels add to the rustic texture of the soup. But make sure to scrub them thoroughly and remove any obvious blemishes before slicing.

Trying this one tonight. I will post to let anyone know how it turns out.
  • edited December 2011
    1 cup heavy cream
    I used soy milk instead too.