Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gnosis "Seven Wonders of the Buddhist World" - Documentary

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited December 2011 in Arts & Writings
Here's a new documentary I came across. The host travels to 7 Buddhist holy sites and covers some of the core beliefs in Buddhism. She's not a Buddhist so a lot of the explanations and discussions stay fairly basic and seem to be directed for the uninitiated. She is very respectful and the locations are beautiful. Also Richard Gombrich and Robert Thurman are the two main experts the video cuts to for explanations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uuiBxJguE4U

Comments

• Beautiful photography! I was interested to hear it said that Buddhism isn't atheist. Buddhists believe in gods, demons, angels, it said. But they don't believe that the gods can have much influence on a person's life. We're all responsible for our life and for our path toward Enlightenment. It said the Buddha didn't deny that there were gods, he only said they're irrelevant to how one lives one's life.

I haven't watched it all yet. More later. :)
  • Wonderful trip through the ancient sites. For once, they keep the Western "expert" comments to a minumum. I've watched about a half hour of it and I'll be definitely watching the rest this evening. Thanks for sharing!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you for sharing!
  • I finished it last night. I'm not sure of the choice of the seven wonders, but then they never claimed it was THE Seven Wonders, and every temple or stupa that they visited certainly created a wonderful impression.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Interesting and visually pleasing. Thanks for posting!