Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dear god... another shooting at Virginia Tech.

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited December 2011 in General Banter
Two dead (confirmed), gunman still at large. I'm just home from Blacksburg (home of VT). Between there and Roanoke (about 25 miles) I passed well over 100 police vehicles speeding south. Even once I got into town I was still seeing numerous police vehicles headed that direction. Every law enforcement officer within a 50 mile radius seems to be converging on the VT campus for the mother of all manhunts.

Prayers for the Tech community please. We didn't need this again...

Comments

• And still, the gun lobby presses on with their agenda. :p
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    And still, the gun lobby presses on with their agenda. :p
    Really seems like an inappropriate time for that.
  • ??
  • Not in the least. There is a group on the VT campus advocating for a change in policy to allow students, staff, and faculty to carry concealed weapons on campus. Given the history at VT in the past four years, I don't see that as inappropriate at all. It's lunacy that people even think that way, much less actively *try* to get more guns on the campus.
  • I'm not following the logic, Mts. The solution to guns run amok is more guns? If guns were difficult to obtain, (and if disturbed or distraught students got mental health care), wouldn't that solve the problem?

In any case, pls keep us posted as to developments, I'm sure you will.
  • Dakini, most adults in the U.S. have a gun. Thus they are not difficult to obtain.
  • "Most adults"?? I think that's an exaggeration. None of the adults I've ever known has owned a gun, except for a small handful who were hunters. And my point was that guns shouldn't be so easy to obtain, that "most adults" or even "many adults" would have them. European countries do fine without them, why can't we?
  • We just "got" conceal/carry here in Wisconsin.
  • I'm not following the logic, Mts. The solution to guns run amok is more guns?
    Welcome to America. The solution to gun violence is MORE GUNS! If everybody has a gun, then we'll all be dead.
  • If there was a way to remove all guns, I would be for it, but unfortunately I don't see a way of making sure the criminals don't have access. I would feel vulnerable not having a means of stopping an armed criminal from harming my family.
  • Do you have a gun, Telly? Whatever happened to burglar alarms and 911? But yes, I agree about how to prevent criminals from having access. Even if guns were eliminated, from what I understand, tasers are available to anyone. That's scary, too. The thing is, the weapons people can access to protect themselves are also accessible to criminals. How to stop the vicious circle? Do Europeans worry about criminals having guns while citizens are helpless to defend themselves? I think we can learn a lot from studying other countries and cultures. Is there any info on this available?
  • When I have only my fists the guy who wants to rob me brings a knife.
    Ah, so I buy a knife too.
    Now the guy who wants to rob me brings a gun.
    I buy a gun.
    The guy brings a machinegun.
    I get one too.
    Now he brings a bazooka.
    I need one of those.
    There’s no end to it and safety will always be an illusion.

• We have killer attack cats to defend my house :)
  • The thinking behind "more guns" is that if everyone is packing, if someone tries to start shit, they'd be plugged full of holes before they could do damage.

However, I really do not think this is a good solution, at all. And I am an enthusiastic gun owner. Let me explain why I think this way. People get into fistfights at school, or very heated arguments. Not very often, but it happens. Now if everyone is packing heat, even the two people that are fighting, the chances are very, very good that someone will pull a weapon which will set off a chain reaction resulting in a literal Mexican standoff.

I can see allowing staff members only to carry say, non-lethal weapons such as tazers and the like. maybe even weapons loaded with rubber or beanbag shot. Hell, at least give them a baseball bat. I can attest, those things hurt like hell and break bone. But the argument that everyone should carry a gun is fundamentally flawed. Because it assumes that everyone can handle a firearm in a high stress situation and in a rational manner. And again I can attest through personal experience that the average citizen under fire is anything but rational.

On the other hand, completely outlawing guns is not the way either. As in all things, the middle way is best.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    @Dakini No I don't have one, but have been thinking about getting one... not sure if I will. I learned though that I would need a permit from the police which requires attending a safety course, waiting 14 days, and passing a background check. We can't carry here, but can have in our homes and place of business.

@zenff No, I would never keep a bazooka in the house... a gun is as far as I would go in your scenario.
  • I would feel vulnerable not having a means of stopping an armed criminal from harming my family.
    You think having a gun will accomplish that? Look at the statistics. It doesn't. It actually makes you more likely to be injured or die.

Beyond that, do you honestly live in that much fear of someone coming into your house? If so, that's very sad. I refuse to participate in that kind of fear.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I can see allowing staff members only to carry say, non-lethal weapons such as tazers and the like. maybe even weapons loaded with rubber or beanbag shot.
    Clearly you don't know some of the university professors that I know. I wouldn't want them to have a slingshot, much less a tazer.
  • Russia had some of the most stringent weapon control systems I know of. Citizens aren't allowed to have guns nor even large kitchen knives. And yet, hunters are allowed to have rifles, which of course are registered with authorities. So there's one middle way. Can any of our non-US members share how gun control is handled in their country?

That sounds like a good idea, for staff to have tazers or other non-lethal weapons, but what kind of a world is it, if university faculty and staff have to carry weapons and fulfill a quasi-police function? That's bizarre. The university would then have to provide training for all faculty and staff in how to use their weapon. If it's true that Virginia Tech is trying to allow everyone to carry guns, I'd say that's the wrong course. Allowing everyone to carry guns means the angry and unbalanced students are also allowed to have guns. You may as well issue every incoming freshman a gun, along with their course catalog and welcome packet.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Injuries and deaths due to firearms in the home.

Kellermann AL, Somes G, Rivara FP, Lee RK, Banton JG.

Source

Center for Injury Control, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Determine the relative frequency with which guns in the home are used to injure or kill in self-defense, compared with the number of times these weapons are involved in an unintentional injury, suicide attempt, or criminal assault or homicide.

METHODS:

We reviewed the police, medical examiner, emergency medical service, emergency department, and hospital records of all fatal and nonfatal shootings in three U.S. cities: Memphis, Tennessee; Seattle, Washington; and Galveston, Texas.

RESULTS:

During the study interval (12 months in Memphis, 18 months in Seattle, and Galveston) 626 shootings occurred in or around a residence. This total included 54 unintentional shootings, 118 attempted or completed suicides, and 438 assaults/homicides. Thirteen shootings were legally justifiable or an act of self-defense, including three that involved law enforcement officers acting in the line of duty. For every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides.

CONCLUSIONS:

Guns kept in homes are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal accidental shooting, criminal assault, or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9715182

---

For every time a gun in the home is used in a self-defense homicide, a gun will be used in

1.3 unintentional deaths

4.6 criminal homicides

37 suicides22

http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/hgbanfs.htm

---

IMO the gun culture in the US is a holdover from the frontier days when there was no law around to protect you and a family had to rely on firearms to protect themselves.
  • I would feel vulnerable not having a means of stopping an armed criminal from harming my family.
    You think having a gun will accomplish that? Look at the statistics. It doesn't. It actually makes you more likely to be injured or die.

Beyond that, do you honestly live in that much fear of someone coming into your house? If so, that's very sad. I refuse to participate in that kind of fear.
    Yes I do believe I have a better chance of protecting my family against an armed intruder if I had a gun.

I don't fear for myself, but yes for my family... the crack heads are out of control here with the home intrusions. I'm glad this subject came up, now I'm more convinced that I need to get my permit... I understand you don't agree, it's all good, to each their own.
  • @person where are the stats on how many lives were saved from having protection in the home? It can't be calculated, but I believe it exists.

• the crack heads are out of control here with the home intrusions.
    This is what makes no sense to me. The police are full of armaments and crowd control gear when there's a protest. But when people need them to do something really useful, like clear out drug dens and protect the public, where are they? Suddenly they're helpless.

@person where are the stats on how many lives were saved from having protection in the home? It can't be calculated, but I believe it exists.
    I added this little bit in edit.

For every time a gun in the home is used in a self-defense homicide, a gun will be used in

1.3 unintentional deaths

4.6 criminal homicides

37 suicides22

So the point is that guns can be used in self defense effectivly, but the stats are that they will more likely be used some other way.
  • @person where are the stats on how many lives were saved from having protection in the home? It can't be calculated, but I believe it exists.
    I added this little bit in edit.

1.3 unintentional deaths

4.6 criminal homicides

37 suicides22

So the point is that guns can be used in self defense effectivly, but the stats are that they will more likely be used some other way.
    I meant more as in times the gun wasn't used, but was an effective deterrent... there are no stats for this

• 'gun' is the same in all of those statistics. So a person might purchase a gun as a criminal or to commit suicide and they are included in those statistics.

But if the person is 'me' and I am neither suicidal or homicidal then those statistics would not apply to 'me'..

I personally don't own guns, I am just being devils advocate.

My actual stance is that the US constitution like it or not does grant the power to bear arms. Thus one needs to change said constitution in order to take citizens guns.
    @Telly03 Well, all I can say is if you do get a gun, make sure to take the proper classes, teach your children to respect guns (don't turn it into a toy) and keep it properly locked up. For myself I'm more worried about it being misused than a home invasion.
  • @Telly03 Well, all I can say is if you do get a gun, make sure to take the proper classes, teach your children to respect guns (don't turn it into a toy) and keep it properly locked up. For myself I'm more worried about it being misused than a home invasion.
    Agreed... I have the same concerns

• ...now I'm more convinced that I need to get my permit... I understand you don't agree, it's all good, to each their own.
    Well, usually I would agree with that sentiment, but in the case of handguns, I don't. Handguns are made for one purpose and one purpose only: to kill human beings. They should be banned from the face of the earth as far as I'm concerned (and I'm a gun owner, btw, just not a handgun).
  • My actual stance is that the US constitution like it or not does grant the power to bear arms. Thus one needs to change said constitution in order to take citizens guns.
    Actually the Second Amendment does not grant a blanket right to bear arms. If you read it in context, it says:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Since the sentence starts out with the proviso that we're talking about a well regulated militia (what we now know as the National Guard), that's all it's talking about, period, as far as I'm concerned. When that was written and ratified, citizen soldiers were truly citizen soldiers. You were part of your state's militia, and you kept your gun hanging over the mantle. Sure, you could kill a rabbit or a deer with it, but when you got called up because the British were invading (again - you Brits need to get over that...), you were expected to use the gun for that purpose.

I don't honestly think the framers could possibly have foreseen the culture of guns that has developed in the US, and if they could, that they'd have written the Second Amendment the way they did. It promotes lawlessness and crime, and nowadays does nothing to promote the establishment of a well regulated militia.
  • The constitution does not say that those who bear arms must be in a militia.
  • does it define militia? I can be a one man militia, well regulated too.

Fact is, even if you outlawed all the guns, suddenly only outlaws would have guns. And not everyone would surrender them so freely... I know I wouldn't.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Militia is neither the federal troops nor the national guard as these are specified in the constitution's main body.

You could either conclude that there was no militia and thereby nobody eligible to bear arms. Or that, like Zayl said, that anyone *is* militia. Or like me you could understand that there need to be gun owners who learn to shoot etc in order to form a militia when needed.
  • I have just woken up from a dream where I was based in America. I never have dreams in the USA, it was some southern state near to the Missisippi River, and there were guns involved. Me and a friend met up with an American family and it was rather strange to be honest. The main focus was a highway that we had to keep crossing that was very busy.

Anyway, back to the real world. This will keep happening over there for obvious reasons, even if there are newer laws and restrictions, the unerlying notion about guns is instilled into the culture. I hope for the best of those who are involved and let the least amount of sufering occur.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Yes its ingrained in our culture. Collective karma. Personally I don't own a gun and I'd rather things be like elsewhere, but it is not my issue to protest or campaign on behalf. I see other problems to work on here (US).
  • We can clearly see how much good handguns do, witness today's events and those of April 2007. Anyone care to argue that? Don't believe the NRA's propaganda folks. Handguns kill people. Handguns do NOT protect anyone.
  • I'm shutting this down. I don't think this is the time or the place to get into an argument over the Second Amendment.
This discussion has been closed.