Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Glimpse of the Six Realms

mithrilmithril Veteran
edited December 2011 in Diet & Habits
Hell
I've had it. I've studied enough today. Why do we have to do all this work? Theres no sense in any of it!

Hungry Ghost
I think i just need to play some video games, just to unwind. I wish i was home already, why is this walk taking me so long, i should be there already.

God
This is awesome. Yeah i really needed some rest.

Human
Its great to do this and just have some fun.

Animal
Just keep on playin...

Titan
I wish i had done my homework already, why do all those people get things done so fast?

---

Maybe my views of the realms are not completely correct but, if there's another experience that would be more proper for a realm i have probably done it today. Its ridiculous, bizzare, why do i keep on doing this over and over?

Do you ever step back and just think - wow, i really am caught up in something?
Any tips, advice how to break a cycle?
:rolleyes:

Comments

• acknowledge. embrace. be with it, it will release on its own.

nothing for you to do, but to just be with it. all cycles dependently originate based on causes and conditions. when the conditions are ripe bam the cause will create an effect. when the energy is gone the effect will dissipate.

i hope that all people try and really see if any realm leads to any lasting happiness. try out chasing money, women, careers, children, joy, etc.

for those who tried and realized how it is all ultimately unsatisfying...will have great motivation to try one last thing. such thing is the buddhist path. everything else failed, why not try this one?

and ironically what we learn is to embrace totally all the realms and in such acceptance we find composure.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    taiyaki thats what I did to overcome drinking. I went full force into it without being divided. Theres more to it than that of course thats not all I did. But the neurosis is when we are divided with one 'self' knocking the other. Leads to negativity in the mind which makes everything harder: hard to enjoy, hard to think clearly, hard to change. Of course I knew that I was impermanent and like a friend of mine I could drink myself to death. Thats knowledge of impermanence.
  • only way out is through. =]
  • Something i realized though - sometimes i will feel almost as if i have some obligation to "enter" one of the realms. Like when i had to wake up early and go to classes - it felt as if i was doing what was expected of me by getting annoyed because of it ... Sometimes, the choice of not suffering is almost like something i am just not entitled to do... Like talking back to a superior you don't agree with, it just feels kinda risky.
    If i'm not annoyed when i wake up early, what happens? :hair:
  • mithril, I think that happens. sometimes I think very negative like I haven't done enough during the day, and then I wonder to myself, "well what if I just did the same amount but didn't feel bad about it?" :)
  • "Lets do this to have some fun" - what is the importance of fun to us? Do we actually need to have fun? Can we choose to live without it? Or is it something to be found in whatever we do? Am i thinking about it to prevent me from seeing something; maybe the fact that what i'm ought to be doing (reading a book) talks about disease which i wish would never happen to either me or someone else (i'm so afraid..), but is a fact of life?

Do i ignore my thought of wanting to do this and that? Do i suppress them? Do i act on them? How do i go against my thoughts and still do what i want to do? How do i think something that is so well marketed nowadays (as seen on TV: "You must do some things that are only for fun, buy this"), not act on it; and be happy?

There's a demon welcoming me to the human realm - when do i accept the invitation?

What did Buddha say about the realms, can someone possibly link to that?