Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christopher Hitchens Has Died

edited December 2011 in General Banter
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/12/In-Memoriam-Christopher-Hitchens-19492011
http://www.npr.org/2011/12/16/143595854/writer-christopher-hitchens-dies

"For years, Hitchens had toured the country debating religious figures about his utter disbelief in the existence of a God. He didn't waver in the face of his inability to treat his disease. To the very end, whatever the argument joined, Hitchens' voice was an original. He is survived by his wife, the writer Carol Blue, and three children."

"Christopher Hitchens—the incomparable critic, masterful rhetorician, fiery wit, and fearless bon vivant—died today at the age of 62. Hitchens was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in the spring of 2010, just after the publication of his memoir, Hitch-22, and began chemotherapy soon after. His matchless prose has appeared in Vanity Fair since 1992, when he was named contributing editor.

“Cancer victimhood contains a permanent temptation to be self-centered and even solipsistic,” Hitchens wrote nearly a year ago in Vanity Fair, but his own final labors were anything but: in the last 12 months, he produced for this magazine a piece on U.S.-Pakistani relations in the wake of Osama bin Laden’s death, a portrait of Joan Didion, an essay on the Private Eye retrospective at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a prediction about the future of democracy in Egypt, a meditation on the legacy of progressivism in Wisconsin, and a series of frank, graceful, and exquisitely written essays in which he chronicled the physical and spiritual effects of his disease. At the end, Hitchens was more engaged, relentless, hilarious, observant, and intelligent than just about everyone else—just as he had been for the last four decades."

Comments

• What a life! I hadn't heard of him before and he sounds great.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    gotta love him
  • I have watched Christopher Hitchens in a number of debates with Christian apologetics and I was always left with the feeling that he was a very unhappy man - very similar to Richard Dawkins in that respect - and along with Sam Harris, made a interesting trio of unhappiness.

However, I was not all that impressed with their collective 'science' of religion. More often their 'science' degenerated into focusing on the worst aspects of Christianity and projecting those aspects onto anyone who happened to believe other than what they did - which seems to be exactly what they were arguing against. Rather paradoxical coming from those who professed an 'objective' science.

But Hitchens yet again demonstrates - that we all must die.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Aww, that's too sad:( Rest In Peace! Christopher Hitchens!
  • Never heard of the guy. Maybe he will get a nice re-birth :)
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Never heard of the guy. Maybe he will get a nice re-birth :)
    He doesn't believe in rebirth.

He will be remembered!

• edited December 2011
    He doesn't believe in rebirth.
    To be honest, Mr. B5C, it does not matter what he believed. He could have believed in the Heaven or the Hell. It does not matter. Natural laws are not dependent on beliefs. If rebirth is correct, he will be reborn whether or not he believed in the rebirth. If it is not real, he will not be reborn whether or not he believed in the rebirth. Make sense?

Just being the devil's advocate here. :)
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    To be honest, Mr. B5C, it does not matter what he believed. He could have believed in the Heaven or the Hell. It does not matter. Natural laws are not dependent on beliefs. If rebirth is correct, he will be reborn whether or not he believed in the rebirth. If it is not real, he will not be reborn whether or not he believed in the rebirth. Make sense?

Just being the devil's advocate here. :)
    Unfortunly there is no evidence of rebirth and there is no need for rebirth in Buddhism. In my own opinion. Discussion for rebirth should be left on another topic.

“Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely soley upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. We may differ on many things, but what we respect is free inquiry, openmindedness, and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
  • @B5C

I know. I do not believe in the rebirth. I was saying that the comment about his beliefs was an irrelevant.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Lets not get too sentimental..Hitchens long before his final illness was a bitter angry and cynical man, whose speech was filled with expressions of aversion to anyone who disagreed with him on any topic at all. He was one of lifes great haters. By far the more interesting member of his family is his brother Peter. I hesitate to mention that his cancer was self elected in that it was a direct result of his heavy smoking and drinking. And those habits were a direst result of his existential and life long despair...
    He was no role model.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Lets not get too sentimental..Hitchens long before his final illness was a bitter angry and cynical man, whose speech was filled with expressions of aversion to anyone who disagreed with him on any topic at all. He was one of lifes great haters. By far the more interesting member of his family is his brother Peter. I hesitate to mention that his cancer was self elected in that it was a direct result of his heavy smoking and drinking. And those habits were a direst result of his existential and life long despair...
    He was no role model.
    He is a man who believe to live your life as you see fit and you don't need dogmatic beliefs to run your life. He had a great mind and he was a great writer.
  • He mind was one that was conditioned by the age in which he lived..he was a typical damaged product of his time and conditioning. The fact that he was able to express his damaged nature in an eloquent and witty fashion should not cause us to believe he had anything to say in response to dukkha, to anicca and anatta...because he didnt. His response was to commit slow suicide via the bottle and the ashtray.
    There are many of our contemporaries worthy of our respect..they are largely those who faced their dark depths and came up with pearls hard won.
    Not who turned their face to the wall and succumbed to aversion to life itself.
  • He lived an engaged and purposeful life by his own standards, and whatever his faults, left behind people who grieve over his death and will miss his presence. That is all any of us can leave behind.
  • His "engaged and purposeful life" was largely concerned with spinning words to influence others to adopt a similar nihilistic and annihilistic philosophy to himself. A philosophy that cannot be squared with the view of life posited by the Buddha.
    We can recognise the sadness that the death of any person entails without projecting onto that person qualities that are at odds with their reality.
  • I am just saying, I believe in it, so I hope he gets a decent rebirth unless his karma has been so negative from many rebirths ago and has come to ripen now. Believe what you want, it is up to you, I merely spoke of my view...
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    As an athiest....I will miss his work. Thank-you for all the affirmation Chris!
  • As an athiest....I will miss his work. Thank-you for all the affirmation Chris!
    Well, Buddhism gets a good slating too by Hitchin:

I think his is an extreme view where religion is concerned; definitely not the middle way.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Well, the behaviour of buddhists in WW2 in Japan was not good to say the least.

However he is in his conclusion ignorant of buddhism as a practice. For example he says that one abandons their critical faculties as a buddhist. Now that would need to be the thesis statement of a separate talk and would need to be supported by evidence. In Hitchen's talk he describes war atrocities and then pulls a bait and switch ending the talk with a conclusional statement that was not supported within his speach. Perhaps this is just an excerpt?
  • I find it difficult to criticize the dead but with Hitchens I have to ask - what was his contribution towards the common good? While I have no issue with anyone challenging any belief system, from what I have seen and read Hitchens was more into satire and ridicule which he directed at anyone who dared come into his sights.

Hitchens, along with Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins, made money out of caricaturing, lampooning and jeering at those who believed in the supernatural whether it be God, Santa Clause or the tooth fairy. There was no science behind their collective words - there was only an appeal to ignorance. Their attack on religion was nothing more than listing the worst aspects of humanity - and one does not need a science degree to that.

Consequently, those great mystics who gave the world much, which includes Jesus and the Buddha, where nothing more than a convenient whipping post against which they directed their aggression and hatred.

I suspect such people are already living in their own private hell. My pray is that they will eventually be freed from such imprisonment.

• Richard Dawkins, made money out of caricaturing, lampooning and jeering at those who believed in the supernatural whether it be God, Santa Clause or the tooth fairy. There was no science behind their collective words - there was only an appeal to ignorance.
    That is funny because Dawkins is a scientist and his main work has to do with the biology. Most of his books are about the biology and the evolution.
  • You both make good points.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    I didn't agree with him denigrating people because they believed in a deity. But I sincerely hoped he passed at peace with the world and the way he lived his life.

In metta,
    Raven

• I could point to a whole world of ignorance (not that my mindset is smug, holier than thou or snobbish about it)... but rather knowing, having been subject to some false impressions in the past, that the voice of dissent makes me 'bunker down' even more.

Speaking for myself, I know I can be quite egotistical and have belief as a 'safe place'. The root of the belief is lack of security, so I succumb to it and give it power. My humanity takes second place to thought, but that then applies to other people too. If I don't respect my own humanity- putting my thoughts on a pedestal, so to speak- how do I respect the humanity of 'others'?

Having a gods eye view over another situation, to which I'm not privy, is to not intervene. But maybe people have to work it out for themselves sometimes. Experience is a hard teacher- the lesson comes first and the teaching after. But not always.

Follow a code of conduct that 'does no harm', if I'm not preaching to the choir then I'm airing the voice of dissent from a distance. But you/I can't seem beat the voice of self imposed integrity and self assurance, in anything other than a supervisory way. The dog will keep barking no matter how many times I scold it. It will keep chewing on that rotten old ball if I don't pick it up. Saying 'I told you so!' doesn't change our natural inclination.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Well, the behaviour of buddhists in WW2 in Japan was not good to say the least.

However he is in his conclusion ignorant of buddhism as a practice. For example he says that one abandons their critical faculties as a buddhist. Now that would need to be the thesis statement of a separate talk and would need to be supported by evidence. In Hitchen's talk he describes war atrocities and then pulls a bait and switch ending the talk with a conclusional statement that was not supported within his speach. Perhaps this is just an excerpt?
    I own a copy of "God is not Great" if you like. I could post the passages about Buddhism if you like.
  • @B5C

Please do.
    Fun fact Sam Harris spent 2 years on meditation retreats doing vipassana in a "Buddhist context"
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Pg 36 of Chapter 2: "Religion Kills"
    In this respect, religion is not unlike racism. One version of it inspires and proves the other. I was onced asked another trick question, slightly more searching than Dennis Prager's, that was designed to uncover my level of latent prejudice. You are on a subway platform in New York, late at night, in a deserted station. Suddenly a group of a dozen black men appears. Do you say where you are or move to the exit? I was able again to reply that I had had this exact experience. Waiting alone for a train, well after midnight, I had been suddenly joined by a crew of repairmen exiting the tunnel with their tools and work gloves. All of them were black. I felt instantly safer, and moved toward them. I have no idea what their religions affiliations was. But in every other case that I have cited, religion has been an enormous multiplier of tribal suspicion and hatred, with members of each group talking of the other in precisely the tones of the bigot. The Christians eat defiled pig meat and they and Jews swill poisonous alcohol. Buddhist and Muslim Sri Lankans blamed the wine-oriented Christians celebrations of 2004 for the immediately following tsunami. Catholics are dirty and have too many children, Muslims breed like rabbits and whipe their bottoms with the wrong hand. Jews have lice in their beards and seek the blood of Christian children to add flavor and zest to their Passover matzos. And so it goes on.
    Pg 115 of Chapter 8: "The Evil of the "New" Testament
    Almost all religions from Buddhism to Islam feature either a bumble prophet or a prince who comes to identify with the poor, but what is this if not populism? It is hardly a surprise if religions choose to address themselves first to the majority who are poor and bewildered and uneducated.
    Pg 185 of Chapter 13: "Does Religion Make People Behave?"
    The first thing to be said is that virtuous behavior by a believer is no proof at all of -- indeed is not even an argument for -- the truth of his belief. I might, just for the sake of argument, act more charitably if I believed that Lord Buddha was born from a slit in his mother's side. But would not this make my charitable impulse dependent upon something tenuous? By the same token, I do not say that if I catch a Buddhist priest stealing all the offerings left by the simple folk at his temple, Buddhism is thereby discredited.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    The last part. Its BIG.
    http://notepub.com/#note=328057
  • edited December 2011
    nvm
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Fun fact Sam Harris spent 2 years on meditation retreats doing vipassana in a "Buddhist context"
    Here is Sam Harris' stance on Buddhism:
    http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/killing-the-buddha/
    Thank you for that article, it is brilliant and IMO a must read for "buddhists"
  • Thank you for that article, it is brilliant and IMO a must read for "buddhists"
    And absolutely nothing to do with Hitchens.
  • B5C, as much as I want to read a whole book about undermining others support system I will have to pass. :vimp: