Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ultimate question science must answer

edited December 2011 in Philosophy
Gautama Siddhartha aka Buddha is the worlds first scientist, his observations about the universe and everything that’s init have been proven correct some 2500 years after his death, more to the point any of his observation have not yet been disproven to date which is a remarkable achievement considering his nearest rival Einstein was proven wrong with in his lifetime.

Buddha is the scientist of the scientist the noble prize winner among the noble prize winners he is undoubtedly the greatest scientist ever however does the core of his doctrine stand up to scrutiny in modern science?

It is fair to say that very little is understood of his core doctrine even his later day disciples tip toe around the issue therefore it is feasible that I too have misunderstood it however that shouldn’t prevent us from discussing the issue.

Buddha appear to have said the universe and everything that is in it are impermanent which we know is true due to modern scientific exploits however he contradict himself by saying the essence of life (the karmic energy) moves on through samsara which appear to suggest it is permanent. It is worth noting that core doctrine of Buddha is how to extinguish karmic energy but it will not die involuntarily until the universe itself dies. This is a careless mistake to make especially for a man as smart as Buddha therefore we must investigate it thoroughly to ensure we are not misinterpreting him. Buddha appears to have said the entity that dies and the entity that is been bourn again are not identical yet not totally different and streaming karmic energy is the link between the two entities.

Therefore the most important question any living entity should ask themselves is does karmic energy exist if so where and how. As we know both Buddha and modern day scientist have conclusively proven that there is no physical properties of a living entity that can survive death. At this point I must point out two important points firstly near death experience is not proof of soul/karmic energy surviving after death it is merely a lack of understanding of the human brain, the conventional wisdom is that consciousness dies immediately after oxygen supply to the brain is stopped however it may be possible for the consciousness to sustain itself with very little supply of energy or even with residue energy for few hours as opposed to few seconds. Secondly past life memory is also not proof of soul/karmic energy surviving after death simply because with death your brain dies and there is no mechanism for the dead to store a record of their previous life.

Therefore how can streaming karmic energy survive without a body or even how can it survive within a body? If this phenomena to exist it clearly must have non-physical properties in order to survive through death and samsara, so what non-physical properties living entities can possess that can survive death and also have to ability to register karmic energy and re-attach it self to another entity for sake of continuing samsara? Is it possible for this type of unknown energy to exist around living entities or did Buddha simply got this one wrong? After all he is only human.

This is the ultimate question science must answer because it make all the difference between which path in life we should choose.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The karmic energy you talk about isn't taught to be a permanent thing. One moment of its existence is dependent upon the last moment. It's constantly coming into and out of being each instance not being something the same as the previous instance and not something totally different.

This is the teaching as I understand it anyways. I have no experience of this mind and science hasn't really been able to say much about it either.

Nice post.
  • Thanks Person, I take your point that karmic energy may probably be similar to thoughts which are created and dissolved in an instant yet unlike thoughts karmic energy can survive death either until Nirvana or death of the universe but how?
    Thanks Person, I take your point that karmic energy may probably be similar to thoughts which are created and dissolved in an instant yet unlike thoughts karmic energy can survive death either until Nirvana or death of the universe but how?
    Well I don't know, but if its not something produced by the body then why would it end when the body does? And I never heard that it ends at the death of the universe before, are you sure thats accurate?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2011
    The mistake, in my opinion, is to view kamma as a static 'thing.' Causality is a process whereby causes produce effects, where actions condition potential experiences, not something which has a permanent essence that 'survives' death and goes places.

That's why from the Theravadin point of view (or at least from the point of view of those in Theravada who accept the idea of postmortem rebirth), rebirth is viewed as the continuation of a process—nothing 'remains,' nothing 'transmigrates,' there are merely fleeting phenomena that condition other fleeting phenomena in the interdependent process we call life.

One way to look at it is that a casual process can be self-sustaining, with causes creating effects, and effect acting as causes, creating feedback loops. Moreover, if you admit the possibility of immaterial causes and not just material ones (assuming that a clear distinction between the two can even be made), then the continuation of said process isn't limited by or to a single material body. And if you believe Bertrand Russell, the more we understand about matter (i.e., energy), the more the word itself becomes "no more than a conventional shorthand for stating causal laws concerning events" (An Outline of Philosophy).

Here, consciousness isn't seen as a static things going from life to life, but simply as one link or event in a complex causal chain, i.e., moments of consciousness arising and ceasing in rapid succession, with the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditioning the arising of a new consciousness due to the presence of craving (kind of like 'spooky action at a distance' where two entangled particles communicate with each other instantaneously, even over great distances). It's almost better to think of it as a transmission of information rather than the transmigration of some thing.

Thus, in Buddhism, there can theoretically be continuity between lives without having to posit some type of permanent, unchanging consciousness or soul that travels from life to life. That's why the Pali term vinnanasota or 'stream of consciousness' is often used to describe the flow of conscious events, even when presented within the context of rebirth. (Similarly with terms like bhavangasota (stream of becoming), found in Snp 3.12, and samvattanikamvinnanam (evolving consciousness), found in MN 106.)

Unfortunately, there are no suttas that give a detailed explanation of this process, and the detailed workings of this process are to be found in the Abhidhamma and Pali commentaries. While many people reject the Abhidhamma and commentaries as reliable sources of information regarding what the Buddha taught, I personally don't think the views of the Buddha and the ancient commentators such as Buddhaghosa are necessarily mutually exclusive.

As for the rest, I don't think science will ever be in a position to prove rebirth or the existence of past lives; but there are many somewhat plausible (if improbable from the point of view of modern science) mechanisms for explaining these processes without having to posit things like a permanent self or soul. Just something to ponder, at least.

I would just add that Buddhism can still be a beneficial path whether or not one takes the teachings on rebirth literal, and regardless of what science has to say about the matter, because its morality and methodology of practice are independent of these things. At its core, Buddhism is a contemplative practice; and Buddhist meditation practices have benefits that even secular neuroscientists can appreciate.
  • "Dark energy" is understood within the scientific community to be karmic energy.
    "Dark energy" is understood within the scientific community to be karmic energy.
    Care to elaborate or share some source?
  • Dark energy comprises roughly 70% of the known universe and is believed to be a causal force for it's accelerated expansion. All causal forces are karmic energy...

• edited December 2011
    Jason you obviously have a profound understanding of Buddhism and your comments are very enlightening!

One way to look at it is that a casual process can be self-sustaining, with causes creating effects, and effect acting as causes, creating feedback loops. Moreover, if you admit the possibility of immaterial causes and not just material ones (assuming that a clear distinction between the two can even be made), then the continuation of said process isn't limited by or to a single material body. And if you believe Bertrand Russell, the more we understand about matter (i.e., energy), the more the word itself becomes "no more than a conventional shorthand for stating causal laws concerning events" (An Outline of Philosophy).

In a more general sense I can see cause and effect self-sustaining itself e.g. a good deed may lead to another good deed and another which is kind of like the boss at work treating staff well and staff in turn doing a good job and this virtuous circle could self-sustain. However I have a problem when this principle is applied to kamma because it implies at any given point in time everyone’s kamma is up to date that is to say effects of all primary causes are pretty much immediate however I can’t see any evidence for this in real life e.g. the greedy investment bankers and their bosses who destroyed the economy and put millions of people out of work are still having a good time and no sign of “cause and effect” catching up with them anytime soon.
    Dark energy comprises roughly 70% of the known universe and is believed to be a causal force for it's accelerated expansion. All causal forces are karmic energy...

It is nice to think dark energy has such magical properties but why would a mere cosmic particle go out of its way to religiously gather karmic record of every single living entity in the universe, that does not sound very plausible to me at the moment.
  • @praxis: Quick google of "What is dark energy" and the top result was from 'NASA Science'
    A quick search of the page makes no mention of 'karmic energy' but does say:

"Theorists still don't know what the correct explanation is, but they have given the solution a name. It is called dark energy."

and

''More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the Universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery.'

Also there is no mention of "karmic energy" on the dark energy Wikipedia page??

Is the another scientific community somewhere that only you know about?
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Arg, another one of these threads. I am tired of debating this all the time.

Just replace creationist with religious:
  • edited December 2011

Well I don't know, but if its not something produced by the body then why would it end when the body does? And I never heard that it ends at the death of the universe before, are you sure thats accurate?
    Well I thought when the universe dies everything in it will also be dead unless you like to argue karmic energy can survive outside the universe but even if it can do so it is pretty pointless because there is no place for life without a universe.

• Dark energy is everywhere, not just out in space. It's the most powerful force in the universe and is inextricably causal in all things, including our karma!
  • edited December 2011
    Dark energy is everywhere, not just out in space. It's the most powerful force in the universe and is inextricably causal in all things, including our karma!
    I can envisage dark energy, dark matter and any other unknown matter out there having a causal effect on all things but surely they have to be random by nature such as an explosion or a flash flood that would cause indiscriminate damage but what Buddha talking about is specific effects that are very personal to the doer of the karmic action which is a little bit far fetch for my liking.

• B5CB5C Veteran
    Dark energy is everywhere, not just out in space. It's the most powerful force in the universe and is inextricably causal in all things, including our karma!
    Dark Matter is not powerful. Yes, it helps galaxies keep their shape, but not powerful. You do know gravity is the weakest force right?
    edited December 2011

In a more general sense I can see cause and effect self-sustaining itself e.g. a good deed may lead to another good deed and another which is kind of like the boss at work treating staff well and staff in turn doing a good job and this virtuous circle could self-sustain. However I have a problem when this principle is applied to kamma because it implies at any given point in time everyone’s kamma is up to date that is to say effects of all primary causes are pretty much immediate however I can’t see any evidence for this in real life e.g. the greedy investment bankers and their bosses who destroyed the economy and put millions of people out of work are still having a good time and no sign of “cause and effect” catching up with them anytime soon.
    Again, I think it's a misunderstanding to view causality in this way. For one, a cause is simply an event that we conceive of as setting into motion, or at least helping to condition, a serious of related events. But those resulting events only take shape if, and last as long as, the appropriate supporting conditions are present. In Buddhism, this concept is called this/that conditionality (idappaccayata), and is expressed by this short formula:
    When this is, that is.
    From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
    When this isn't, that isn't.
    From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.
    Moreover, the Buddhist conception of causality is non-linear in that the present moment is viewed as being conditioned by both past and present actions, which creates multiple feedback loops, meaning that, among other things, there's a complex array of competing events allowing for some causes to produce effects immediately, and some that manifest over a period of time. In addition, this provides the possibility for some results to cancel others out and/or displace others in the queue.

Of course, one can always argue against this particular notion of causality; but I don't see any internal inconsistencies within Buddhism on this issue, nor do I see any empirical evidence to suggest that it's not an appropriate way to observe and make sense of casual patterns in life involving our intentional actions of body, speech, and mind, particularly with an eye towards reshaping our experience of the present in ways that limit and even eliminate suffering.

For additional references (in case you're not that familiar with Buddhism), you may find this series of talks and this study guide helpful in better understanding the Buddhist conception of causality, as well as the intended purpose of these teachings; which I'd argue aren't meant to be used to construct a rigid, metaphysical worldview, but as conceptual tools to be utilized in the quest to end suffering. That's my two cents, at any rate.

Well I thought when the universe dies everything in it will also be dead unless you like to argue karmic energy can survive outside the universe but even if it can do so it is pretty pointless because there is no place for life without a universe.

In Buddhist cosmology a universe comes and goes. There are 4 stages of a universe: expansion, duration, dissolution and dissolution-duration where the universe abides in a state of nothingness. Also there's a growing field of physics that thinks that the universe expands and contracts. They can't postulate a moment of beginning and a changing status of growth and death seems to make more sense or even a continually expanding multiverse.

In Buddhist cosmology there are the upper god realms that don't get destroyed at the end of a universe and beings can abide there. Of course there's no real way to validate that view.
  • edited December 2011

Moreover, the Buddhist conception of causality is non-linear in that the present moment is viewed as being conditioned by both past and present actions, which creates multiple feedback loops, meaning that, among other things, there's a complex array of competing events allowing for some causes to produce effects immediately, and some that manifest over a period of time. In addition, this provides the possibility for some results to cancel others out and/or displace others in the queue.

Yes I agree with your comment about cause and effect been non-linear and having complex array of competing events which is generally consistent with life experiences we all have however my concern is how it would carry forward to next life e.g. if my identical twin brother is a really nice guy and he help anyone that need help and he leads a very monastic kind of life and if I’m completely his opposite I understand within this life time good things will happen to my brother but not to me however if we both die simultaneously from an accident I can’t see a credible mechanism to identify which one is which and transfer our karmic energy accordingly.

Just to clarify I agree with everything else Buddha has said it is just I find it difficult to see a mechanism that can register karmic energy of trillions of living entities and transfer them to an appropriate place at time of death.

• In Buddhist cosmology a universe comes and goes. There are 4 stages of a universe: expansion, duration, dissolution and dissolution-duration where the universe abides in a state of nothingness. Also there's a growing field of physics that thinks that the universe expands and contracts. They can't postulate a moment of beginning and a changing status of growth and death seems to make more sense or even a continually expanding multiverse.
    In Buddhist cosmology there are the upper god realms that don't get destroyed at the end of a universe and beings can abide there. Of course there's no real way to validate that view.
    Since science has not come up with a definite answer yet we can give Buddha the benefit of the doubt. My real qualms is not about life cycle of the universe but about the mechanism that can register karmic energy of trillions of living entities and transfer them to an appropriate place at time of their death.

edited December 2011
    Just to clarify I agree with everything else Buddha has said it is just I find it difficult to see a mechanism that can register karmic energy of trillions of living entities and transfer them to an appropriate place at time of death.
    Well, I'd say that's because you're still thinking about it in the wrong way, looking at kamma (literally 'action)' as if it were some 'thing' that's transferred rather than fleeting phenomena that condition other fleeting phenomena in the interdependent process we call life.

But even assuming, just for the sake of argument, that kamma is a form of energy whose momentum is transferred from life to life, with the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditioning the arising of a new consciousness, the mechanism that transmits this momentum or 'information' could be similar to the one that occurs between two entangled particles.

And whether or not this seems at all plausible to you, the whole quantum entanglement thing in and of itself is pretty neat, e.g., check out this Scientific American article about researchers entangling the quantum states of two diamonds and this Wired article about observing quantum entanglement. It's almost as unbelievable as the literal interpretation of rebirth. :p
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I guess these discussions are fun but, there is little or no proof of anything here, mostly theoretical. Suppositions regarding the Buddha's abilities as a scientist seem a little stretched, although he could have written some thesis regarding Quantum Physics we're not aware of. Anyway, it makes for great entertainment. Thank You All.

With Metta
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Therefore the most important question any living entity should ask themselves is does karmic energy exist if so where and how.
    Why does that need to be answered?

• Dark energy is everywhere, not just out in space. It's the most powerful force in the universe and is inextricably causal in all things, including our karma!
    Dark Matter is not powerful. Yes, it helps galaxies keep their shape, but not powerful. You do know gravity is the weakest force right?
    What's your point, that karmic energy is strong???
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited December 2011
    The assumption that the sum total of a human being, and the consciousness of a human being, is limited to only existing within the 4 observable and measurable dimensions of x,y,z, and time
    is false.
    edited December 2011
    My real qualms is not about life cycle of the universe but about the mechanism that can register karmic energy of trillions of living entities and transfer them to an appropriate place at time of their death.

In science theres an idea called emergence. Basically, in this context, phenomena don't need an outside agent to organize themselves. So there doesn't need to be a force outside of karmic causality that seperates out all the karmic streams, its theoretically possible for them to do it on their own.
    I guess these discussions are fun but, there is little or no proof of anything here, mostly theoretical.
    In a sense, you're right. The Buddha doesn't offer proof of kamma and rebirth so much as suggest that adopting these views in a pragmatic, common sense manner is empirically useful in the quest to end suffering. As Thanissaro Bhkihhu puts in his essay, "Faith in Awakening":
    So instead of an empirical proof for his teaching on karma, the Buddha offered a pragmatic proof: If you believe in his teachings on causality, karma, rebirth, and the four noble truths, how will you act? What kind of life will you lead? Won't you tend to be more responsible and compassionate? If, on the other hand, you were to believe in any of the alternatives — such as a doctrine of an impersonal fate or a deity who determined the course of your pleasure and pain, or a doctrine that all things were coincidental and without cause — what would those beliefs lead you to do? Would they allow you to put an end to suffering through your own efforts? Would they allow any purpose for knowledge at all? If, on the other hand, you refused to commit to a coherent idea of what human action can do, would you be likely to see a demanding path of practice all the way through to the end?
  • Quote:
    "If, on the other hand, you refused to commit to a coherent idea of what human action can do, would you be likely to see a demanding path of practice all the way through to the end?"

Strangely enough I’m completely immune to this type or reasoning which goes something like; do good and avoid doing bad because there will be a reward or a punishment for you; later in life or after it.
    (Whether the consequences are coming from a personal God or from an impersonal “law” doesn’t make a difference).

The idea must be that practice is some kind of sacrifice. We can only bring ourselves to practicing when it pays off later. If it wouldn’t, we would rape kill and have fun.
    But no; there will be consequences! So we will be kind and compassionate instead and shit... we will even meditate!

Haha!
    That’s so funny.

• Well, I'd say that's because you're still thinking about it in the wrong way, looking at kamma (literally 'action)' as if it were some 'thing' that's transferred rather than fleeting phenomena that condition other fleeting phenomena in the interdependent process we call life.
    Let’s agree on the “fleeting effect” of kamma to keep things simple but the problem with that is, it will only enable to transfer my end kamma from this life to my next life which is fine, however transferring kamma form life “A” to life “B” is one thing and recording life “A’s” kamma meticulously is a completely deferent issue, which is much harder and need more dedication and energy.

I accept kamma need not be a “thing” in a physical sense however it needs to have the self power/energy to keep track of my kamma and it ought to exist around myself all my life until end moment at which point it can do it’s “fleeting” thing.

• In science theres an idea called emergence. Basically, in this context, phenomena don't need an outside agent to organize themselves. So there doesn't need to be a force outside of karmic causality that seperates out all the karmic streams, its theoretically possible for them to do it on their own.
    Yes I can see this possibility however it will require some form of energy to self regulate itself and this energy can't come from our bodies because it ought to exist independent of the physical body

• The assumption that the sum total of a human being, and the consciousness of a human being, is limited to only existing within the 4 observable and measurable dimensions of x,y,z, and time
    is false.
    Aura
    My thoughts are very much inline with yours i.e. if kamma is been recorded in some form of non-physical method and it has to be attached to our bodies permanently and if it is invisible to human senses, it has to exist in a dimension that we can’t access or it has to have properties that can’t be measured by humans such as dark energy however scientists must investigate this and confirm it’s existence because if such thing exist we ought to know about it for the sake of mankind.

• Therefore the most important question any living entity should ask themselves is does karmic energy exist if so where and how.
    Seeker 242
    Buddha is a remarkable guy; he managed to correctly observe the nature of the universe without any complex instruments like the Large Hadron Collider and he was more advance than what these instruments tells us 2500 years ago. We have to take the man seriously and that is what I did in 2004 and started meditation and non-attachment etc… as the man suggested and today my mind has evolved in to something completely different to what it was many years ago therefore I have received tangible benefits in this life by following Buddha’s advice however the core of his doctrine is about samsara fuelled by kamma which is an intangible thing and Buddha’s solution i.e. nirvana isn’t easy and I need to know I’m doing the right thing before I waste rest of my life pursuing it.

Therefore the most important question any living entity should ask themselves is does karmic energy exist if so where and how.
    Such a question is only interesting to people who insist there is such energy.
    When the phenomenon is not there –as far as we can see – why would we put energy in finding it, proving it and then explaining it?

Show me the problem before you ask me to solve it.

• Therefore the most important question any living entity should ask themselves is does karmic energy exist if so where and how.
    Such a question is only interesting to people who insist there is such energy.
    When the phenomenon is not there –as far as we can see – why would we put energy in finding it, proving it and then explaining it?
    Show me the problem before you ask me to solve it.
    Zenff, see my anwser to Seeker242 above
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and never do anything that feels like “wasting your life”.
    Just practice for the sake of practice.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2011

Seeker 242
    Buddha is a remarkable guy; he managed to correctly observe the nature of the universe without any complex instruments like the Large Hadron Collider and he was more advance than what these instruments tells us 2500 years ago. We have to take the man seriously and that is what I did in 2004 and started meditation and non-attachment etc… as the man suggested and today my mind has evolved in to something completely different to what it was many years ago therefore I have received tangible benefits in this life by following Buddha’s advice however the core of his doctrine is about samsara fuelled by kamma which is an intangible thing and Buddha’s solution i.e. nirvana isn’t easy and I need to know I’m doing the right thing before I waste rest of my life pursuing it.
    That makes sense. :) However, people have been successfully following it for over 2000 years without the question being answered. Which tells me that the question does not need to be answered in order for it to not be a waste. But that is just me. :) Tens of thousands of people have attained enlightenment without the help of scientific proof. Personally, I think if you are going to wait for scientific proof of karma, before fully pursuing the path, you will die before that happens. Which means you would have spent your whole life just waiting around. That would truly a waste, IMO.

edited December 2011
    Let’s agree on the “fleeting effect” of kamma to keep things simple but the problem with that is, it will only enable to transfer my end kamma from this life to my next life which is fine, however transferring kamma form life “A” to life “B” is one thing and recording life “A’s” kamma meticulously is a completely deferent issue, which is much harder and need more dedication and energy.

I accept kamma need not be a “thing” in a physical sense however it needs to have the self power/energy to keep track of my kamma and it ought to exist around myself all my life until end moment at which point it can do it’s “fleeting” thing.
    And yet you're still treating kamma as a thing, talking about it 'transferring,' 'recording,' 'keeping track of,' etc. Again, this is a mistake, in my opinion. Kamma is intention expressed via acts of body, speech, and mind. An action is an event, which puts into motion other series of events. One event doesn't have to keep track or record other events, just as one action doesn't have to keep track of or record other actions; they simply set into motion the conditions for correlated events to potentially arise and be experienced one way or another depending on a myriad of factors, including the ripening of other, competing and/or complementary past actions, as well as our present intentions/actions.
    edited December 2011
    Quote:
    "If, on the other hand, you refused to commit to a coherent idea of what human action can do, would you be likely to see a demanding path of practice all the way through to the end?"

Strangely enough I’m completely immune to this type or reasoning which goes something like; do good and avoid doing bad because there will be a reward or a punishment for you; later in life or after it.
    (Whether the consequences are coming from a personal God or from an impersonal “law” doesn’t make a difference).

The idea must be that practice is some kind of sacrifice. We can only bring ourselves to practicing when it pays off later. If it wouldn’t, we would rape kill and have fun.
    But no; there will be consequences! So we will be kind and compassionate instead and shit... we will even meditate!

Haha!
    That’s so funny.

Actually, I understand his reasoning to be closer to: If you adopt certain views, such as 'actions have consequences/results,' you'll be more mindful of your actions and be more likely to act in ways that will actually benefit yourself and others. In addition, you'll be more more likely to stick with a more rigorous, contemplative path like Buddhism, whose benefits don't necessarily arise immediately, and not just leave everything to chance or fate.
  • From - The Teaching of Buddha - Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai.

Seeker 242
    That makes sense. :) However, people have been successfully following it for over 2000 years without the question being answered. Which tells me that the question does not need to be answered in order for it to not be a waste. But that is just me. :) Tens of thousands of people have attained enlightenment without the help of scientific proof. Personally, I think if you are going to wait for scientific proof of karma, before fully pursuing the path, you will die before that happens. Which means you would have spent your whole life just waiting around. That would truly a waste, IMO.

From - The Teaching of Buddha - Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai.

Chapter Two - The Way of Practical Attainment

1 Search For Truth

In the search for truth there are certain questions that are unimportant. Of what material is the universe constructed? Are there limits or not to the universe? In what way is this human society put together? What is the ideal form of the organization of human society? If a man were to postpone his searching and practicing for Enlightenment until such questions were solved, he would die before he found the path.

• That makes sense. :) However, people have been successfully following it for over 2000 years without the question being answered. Which tells me that the question does not need to be answered in order for it to not be a waste. But that is just me. :) Tens of thousands of people have attained enlightenment without the help of scientific proof. Personally, I think if you are going to wait for scientific proof of karma, before fully pursuing the path, you will die before that happens. Which means you would have spent your whole life just waiting around. That would truly a waste, IMO.
    Satanism, Paganism, Islam, Christianity, Hindu religions etc… they have all been around for a long time, now can you see the problem?

• And yet you're still treating kamma as a thing, talking about it 'transferring,' 'recording,' 'keeping track of,' etc. Again, this is a mistake, in my opinion. Kamma is intention expressed via acts of body, speech, and mind. An action is an event, which puts into motion other series of events. One event doesn't have to keep track or record other events, just as one action doesn't have to keep track of or record other actions; they simply set into motion the conditions for correlated events to potentially arise and be experienced one way or another depending on a myriad of factors, including the ripening of other, competing and/or complementary past actions, as well as our present intentions/actions.
    Jason it is difficult to speak in abstract form hence usage of regular language but I agree kamma can exist outside of our physical senses however it ought to have some properties of its own in whatever special form it exist otherwise it can’t exist i.e. if it is a dark energy it ought to have the properties dark energy ought to have.

This is the crux of the matter, I follow Buddha’s path because he is a scientist, he is the first man to have said “don’t have faith on me try it out yourself and see the results for your self” this implies he want his students to do their own research and arrive at their own conclusion as oppose to blindly following his advice. Everything he thought can be practiced for few years and can see the results except for samsara because you got to die first to check it out hence my attempt to investigate kamma which would support existence of samsara.

Kamma ought to be felt by us in some shape or form if not we are going down the faith path and I’m sure Buddha wouldn’t have asked us to do so because that goes against his fundamental principles.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Karma is empty as well. It is merely a projection from the mind. Everything is disjointed and unsupported because everything lacks inherent existence. We can view everything as infinite finites coming together.

But it is all a play of emptiness/form. No "thing" truly, objectively existing just infinite processes meeting processes.

Thus it is seen that to see anything finite is the projection of the mind. To see a source or time or place or location is merely a projection of the mind.

Because karma is empty of any inherent existence, it is changeable/workable. The functional aspect of reality is only possible because it lacks intrinsic essence.

Without the mind that links, there is no karma. Until the mind links then karma appears.

Not as a thing, but completely as a projection of mind.
    edited December 2011

And yet you're still treating kamma as a thing, talking about it 'transferring,' 'recording,' 'keeping track of,' etc. Again, this is a mistake, in my opinion. Kamma is intention expressed via acts of body, speech, and mind. An action is an event, which puts into motion other series of events. One event doesn't have to keep track or record other events, just as one action doesn't have to keep track of or record other actions; they simply set into motion the conditions for correlated events to potentially arise and be experienced one way or another depending on a myriad of factors, including the ripening of other, competing and/or complementary past actions, as well as our present intentions/actions.
    Jason it is difficult to speak in abstract form hence usage of regular language but I agree kamma can exist outside of our physical senses however it ought to have some properties of its own in whatever special form it exist otherwise it can’t exist i.e. if it is a dark energy it ought to have the properties dark energy ought to have.

This is the crux of the matter, I follow Buddha’s path because he is a scientist, he is the first man to have said “don’t have faith on me try it out yourself and see the results for your self” this implies he want his students to do their own research and arrive at their own conclusion as oppose to blindly following his advice. Everything he thought can be practiced for few years and can see the results except for samsara because you got to die first to check it out hence my attempt to investigate kamma which would support existence of samsara.

Kamma ought to be felt by us in some shape or form if not we are going down the faith path and I’m sure Buddha wouldn’t have asked us to do so because that goes against his fundamental principles.
    Well, it seems that we're going around in circles here, and there's not much more I can say; so I'll just summarize a few of my points and leave it at that.

I, for one, don't think that kamma is anything like dark energy. At its core, kamma is better understood as a casual process that functions at an immaterial (i.e., psychological) and material (i.e., physical) level, whereby an intentional action acts as an event that puts into motion other series of events, which in turn produces the conditions for correlated events to potentially arise and be experienced as pleasant, painful, or neutral.

You want scientific proof that there's a cause and effect relationship between our actions and how they're experienced, or at least proof that this process isn't limited by or to a single material body, but I can't provide that for you. I'm not sure anyone can.

I also can't prove the existence of samsara (literally 'wandering on') in the sense of the continual cycle of death and rebirth; but I think its existence in the sense of the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am' (asmi-mana), as well as the efficacy of actions in the here and now, are self evident and don't need any kind scientific verification. Which comes to my main points.

While the Buddha doesn't provide us with empirical proofs, there are certainly rational and pragmatic reasons for adopting these views in common sense manner—the primary one being that they're useful in the quest to end suffering, which is the entire purpose of the path, not the formation of a rigid, metaphysical worldview.

I agree with you that the Buddha was like a scientist. But he wasn't a physicist; he was more like a psychologist seeking to give us the tools we need to find an unshakable inner peace and happiness. Whether or not you utilize them is up to you.
  • Karma is empty as well. It is merely a projection from the mind. Everything is disjointed and unsupported because everything lacks inherent existence. We can view everything as infinite finites coming together.
    Without the mind that links, there is no karma. Until the mind links then karma appears.
    Taiyaki, I like your comment it is very much consistent with rest of Buddha's teachings however there is a problem because we can, with practice, avoid linking the mind to karma, does this mean end of samsara? Because without karma there is nothing to fuel samsara
    edited December 2011
    Karma is empty as well. It is merely a projection from the mind. Everything is disjointed and unsupported because everything lacks inherent existence. We can view everything as infinite finites coming together.
    Taiyaki, I like your comment it is very much consistent with rest of Buddha's teachings however there is a problem because we can, with practice, avoid linking the mind to karma, does this mean end of samsara? Because without karma there is nothing to fuel samsara
    Essentially, yes, because samsara, literally 'wandering on,' is the potential for the arising of human [mental] suffering, while nibbana, literally 'extinguishing,' is the cessation of that potential. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu puts it, "Samsara is a process of creating places, even whole worlds, (this is called becoming) and then wandering through them (this is called birth). Nirvana is the end of this process (emphasis mine)." Nirvana is "realized only when the mind stops defining itself in terms of place ... it's realized through unestablished consciousness."

(So much for the the whole 'leaving it at that' things. :p)

• I also can't prove the existence of samsara (literally 'wandering on') in the sense of the continual cycle of death and rebirth; but I think its existence in the sense of the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am' (asmi-mana), as well as the efficacy of actions in the here and now, are self evident and don't need any kind scientific verification. Which comes to my main points.
    I think we can all agree there is kamma and samsara within this life; it is evident just by observing life in general. What I’d like to see is Buddha’s rational behind extending this process beyond ordinary life to make it a chain of events.

I also can't prove the existence of samsara (literally 'wandering on') in the sense of the continual cycle of death and rebirth; but I think its existence in the sense of the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am' (asmi-mana), as well as the efficacy of actions in the here and now, are self evident and don't need any kind scientific verification. Which comes to my main points.
    I think we can all agree there is kamma and samsara within this life; it is evident just by observing life in general. What I’d like to see is Buddha’s rational behind extending this process beyond ordinary life to make it a chain of events.
    Well, I've done my best to do that, especially here. But I can see that my efforts haven't satisfied you, so perhaps someone else here can do a better job. Hope you eventually find whatever you're looking for.
    I think @Jason has done a great job of laying out what rational there is. Though it doesn't seem to be anything definative. Its a contested idea certainly.

I think though there is also the potential of direct realization of past lives through meditation. I can't source sutta quotes but I've read several times where the Buddha talks about remembering past lives.
    edited December 2011
    I think @Jason has done a great job of laying out what rational there is. Though it doesn't seem to be anything definative. Its a contested idea certainly.

I think though there is also the potential of direct realization of past lives through meditation. I can't source sutta quotes but I've read several times where the Buddha talks about remembering past lives.
    While some argue that the references to the past lives in the suttas don't necessarily refer to previous existences so much as previous modes of self-identification (the Pali term itself being pubbenivasa, literally 'past abodes'), they can be found in various places throughout the Pali Canon like AN 5.28, DN 2, etc.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

What's your point, that karmic energy is strong???
    Why would I say that? There is no evidence of "karmic energy."
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Quote:

Strangely enough I’m completely immune to this type of reasoning which goes something like; do good and avoid doing bad because there will be a reward or a punishment for you; later in life or after it.

Haha!
    That’s so funny.

Actually, I understand his reasoning to be closer to: If you adopt certain views, such as 'actions have consequences/results,' you'll be more mindful of your actions and be more likely to act in ways that will actually benefit yourself and others. In addition, you'll be more more likely to stick with a more rigorous, contemplative path like Buddhism, whose benefits don't necessarily arise immediately, and not just leave everything to chance or fate.

One of my favorite quotes ever is from the Vimalakirti sutra.
    “O Rahula, do not ask about the goal and benefit of the Holy life. To be without goal and benefit is the Holy Life.”

Or in my words: Our practice originates in the heart. Not in our calculating mind.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2011
    @Jason
    The false dilemma is: either there is karma or everything is chance.

In fact there are many very understandable relations between our actions and what happens to us after them.
    We don't need Karma to explain them.