Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Christian Mindset:: A point of view (Taken from CNN)

edited December 2011 in Faith & Religion
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/24/my-take-when-bedford-falls-becomes-pottersville/?hpt=hp_c1

Not only did I find this article myopic, I am disturbed that a widely-read media outlet can post this as possibly being representative of their (apparent) readership. This is only an editorial, but still I highly doubt that they will give equal time to Jews,Buddhists,Islamists, and so on.

"Christians are the most generous" (maybe with money,but far more with their proseletyzing)

"Evil is innate to us all" (as delineated by Christian doctrine,anyway)

What I get from this article is that more people should be Christian because....

No,thanks. I am a happy Atheist because of views like this. Just my 2c, your mileage may vary.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I really liked the critique of the first response I saw there.

"Because I truly cherish this movie, and I am a Christian as well, I read the article with eager anticipation. But in all honesty, I do not agree with the premise of the article, which is that it is the presence of Christians that makes a community of love and hope such as Bedford Falls, rather than a community of corruption and despair such as Potterville. Regretfully, in real life, the opposite is true. Christianity has become so corroded by false religions posing as "angels of light" in the mainstream of American society, that all kinds of Potter thinking is not only accepted, but downright worshipped under the guise of Christianity, thus both exploiting people and their misfortunes, and discrediting the life and teachings of Christ in the eyes of others at the same time. It is horrible and evil what passes for Christianity today. Nevertheless, for those very, very, very few who actually do seek out and assimilate the life and teachings of Christ, throwing off the false teachings that mainstream religion pushes, those few can and do make a difference for the better. Their lives are better, and so are those around them. But...this is not the point of the movie. George Bailey was not a religious figure, but a true man of conscience with an ingrained sense of responsibility. He was able, despite all of his faults and human failings, to be able to put others needs ahead of his own. He would have been kicked out of most mainstream churches operating in the U.S. today, or he would have been drained like a turnip by many of the more money-minded of them. The point of this movie, and what makes it so great, is that ANYONE is a potential hero, not by virtue of his/her ideology, providing that one follows the dictates of human decency, no matter how the belief is formed, and refuse to be drug along with the me-first mentality that is so rampant among the business community today, and among so many of the contemporary religious systems operating today. It is a Wonderful Life, and it is meant to be lived, not in petty isolation and self-centeredness, but fully engaged in the process of doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. It calls for us to be real, and to simply be who we are. If you also value the life and teachings of Christ, and practice them in your own life, so much the better."
  • edited December 2011
    @Person, Thank you.

I got side-tracked and forgot to read the comments, which I usually do. That is a great response, however.
  • Xmas flushes out the inevitable - atheists wondering how an entire (seemingly) world can live in the delusion of Christian belief/faith and the equally inevitable conclusion that, morals aside, (which are central to Judeo-Christian belief, admittedly) the whole thing is comparable to say, Perseus begotten by Zeus with some loaves and fishes - walking on water - and raising Lazarus from death substituted for defeating Medusa and Hades, etc. In short - a myth - promulgated to (wildly successfully) control hearts and minds - and western civilization. My favorite Xmas movie is unquestionably - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Hero worship is overrated.....

"There was a time when religion ruled the world: we know it as the dark ages." - Ruth Green

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying."
    ..........Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

The essence of Christianity is told to us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the Tree of Knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could be in the Garden of Eden if you had just kept your fucking mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions. - Frank Zappa

Hunter Thompson: "The Christian Church: two thousand years of vengeance."

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
    ..........Charles Bukowski
  • @IronRabbit, Your message was mixed...or did you mean it that way? Color me confused.

Been awhile since I have read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...30 years at least. It was pretty hilarious as I recall, what made you reference that, out of curiosity?
  • @Hubris - stay confused - it is much more enlightening......

Couldn't think of a film more antithetical to It's a Beautiful Life that I enjoyed more....

Some people never go crazy, what truly horrible lives they must live. - Charles Bukowski
  • @hubris I agree, that was a lot of preaching for a CNN article
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited December 2011
    We usually find what we go looking for... CNN is hot and cold, strikes and gutters.

Merry Christmas, Hubris! :) Even mythos can be used to become merry.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Well at least the author is urging Christians to do something positive such as charity and making a difference in the world by being good salt. The only problem is of course bagging on non-christians on evil beings in 'pottersville'...
  • We usually find what we go looking for... CNN is hot and cold, strikes and gutters.

Merry Christmas, Hubris! :) Even mythos can be used to become merry.
    I read the news sites every day, and was not looking for it, I happened upon it, and found that it was not at all what I expected. I forgive you for making the assumption, though.

As for the latter, I offer you this to keep it relevant:

The word "Christmas" originated as a compound meaning "Christ's mass". It is derived from the Middle English Cristemasse, which is from Old English Crīstesmæsse, a phrase first recorded in 1038.[6] Crīst (genitive Crīstes) is from Greek Khrīstos (Χριστός), a translation of Hebrew Māšîaḥ (מָשִׁיחַ), "Messiah"; and mæsse is from Latin missa, the celebration of the Eucharist. The form "Christenmas" was also historically used, but is now considered archaic and dialectal;[21] it derives from Middle English Cristenmasse, literally "Christian mass".[22] "Xmas" is an abbreviation of Christmas found particularly in print, based on the initial letter chi (Χ) in Greek Khrīstos (Χριστός), "Christ", though numerous style guides discourage its use;[23] it has precedent in Middle English Χρ̄es masse (where "Χρ̄" is an abbreviation for Χριστός).[22]

Enjoy your day, New Buddhist people :)
  • I read the news sites every day, and was not looking for it, I happened upon it, and found that it was not at all what I expected. I forgive you for making the assumption, though.

As for the latter, I offer you this to keep it relevant:

The word "Christmas" originated as a compound meaning "Christ's mass".
    Merry Christ's Mass to you! Thanks for the forgiveness, I hope its a portent to good feelings inside you. :) I forgive you for assuming I was assuming. ;)