Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Derive meaning from emptiness

pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone,
I know the topic of emptiness is very difficult and discussed thoroughly here and elsewhere. But I want to hear your take on deriving meaning from emptiness. Let me explain where I'm coming from briefly.
As I understand it, emptiness is describing the fact that nothing has an essence, or inherent existence. Everything is a process; nothing really exists, but also, everything exists. It's hard to describe with words (as you all know)...it's not something to grasp conceptually. Everyone has Buddha nature; everything we do is Buddha nature whether we realize it or not (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is, whether you're out there helping others and changing the world or just wasting your life away on alcohol and drugs, in the "ultimate reality", there is no "good" or "bad", "wasteful" or "productive" since these are merely concepts. Why choose to be "good" over "bad"? Why choose to be "helpful" over "hurtful"? In our conceptual world, answers are obvious of course. But since concepts do not *really* exist, the more we realize emptiness, whether we make the decision to do one or the other shouldn't matter, should it?

My main question: how do you derive meaning out of emptiness? Or to rephrase: if you accept the fact that everything is emptiness and emptiness is everything, what motivates you to do what you do?

Hope I didn't lose you! Thanks a bunch. Please let me know if any clarification is needed.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think the answer to your question is compassion. While it may be true that a realization of emptiness would reduce one's grasping of concepts like good or bad, not everyone has such a realization. So one could still lead a good, productive life in order to be of benefit to others.

For more selfish reasons, doing good and developing genuine love and compassion create the causes for one's own conventional happiness.
  • If you were to truly realize emptiness then compassion wpuld be te natural consequence.

Bodhicitta automatically follows from the mind and hearts release.

Emptiness is empty. Emptiness is luminous. All is like a dream. Thus nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

There is good and there is bad. With wisdom see clearly. With wisdom everything becomes your responsibility. The suffering you see is your projection. Thus it is your responsibility to help sentient beings.

Emptiness asserts the lack of intrinsic reality. It does not deny anything or assert.

I'll write more if what i weite isn't clear. Hope this helps.
  • Btw emptiness should never be taken as a view. It is understood intellectuallt to lead to the direct perception of emptiness. Be it an experience or a realization.

The whole path of buddhism is about freedom. The hearts release.
  • Another way to view emptiness: look around you. All of existence is possible because it lacks intrinsic existence. How magical and creative.

Infinite potential and infinite expression. How beautiful and intricate.

Because things are empty, everything is possible. Because things chamge there is infinite growth to help all beings.

Sorry mods for multiple posts.
  • Thanks for your inputs.

Emptiness is empty. Emptiness is luminous. All is like a dream. Thus nothing to gain and nothing to lose.
    When we "do" something, are we not doing it to gain something? Not necessarily for ourselves, but for someone or something. We should live in the moment and not "do" for the sake of the outcome, but we can't deny that there IS an outcome we're striving for. Yet, there is nothing to gain or lose ultimately. It's very difficult for me to have these sit coherently in my mind.
  • But "infinite growth", isn't that only true conventionally? There is no "growth" ultimately...is there?
  • Well we do actions for the benefit of others. That brings us happiness.

We do actions based on self cherishing. That brings us suffering.

Seeing emptiness is to see dependent origination. The absolute is the relative. Causality cannot be denied.

At first we cultivate relative bodhicitta. We do things out of our self cherishing ways. We help others so that we can be happy.

Then we develop true bodhcitta which is to rest in the undivided consciousness prior to the making of my, i, mine.

So it all depends on how much of emptiness teachings have penetrated our ignorance of how reality is and how reality works.
  • But "infinite growth", isn't that only true conventionally? There is no "growth" ultimately...is there?
    The capacity to be ignorant is infinite. The capacity to be wise is infinite.
    The capacity to be ignorant is infinite. The capacity to be wise is infinite.
    WHAT is being ignorant/wise though? If everything is Buddha nature, what is ignorant?

• Well ignorance from what i understand is to ignore reality as it is.

So in one sense it is to not see the empty luminous quality of existence and self.

Or it is to not see the four noble truths, dependent origination.

Everything is buddha nature. Sure, but that doesn't do anyone any justice until one actualizes such insight.
  • Impermance to an ignorant being is suffering. To a wise being it brings great peace.

The laws in reality still function whether deluded or wise. The wise learn to have composure through wisdom, concentration and an ethical life.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Thus nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

There is good and there is bad. With wisdom see clearly. With wisdom everything becomes your responsibility. The suffering you see is your projection. (....)
    Emptiness asserts the lack of intrinsic reality. It does not deny anything or assert.
    @tayaki "nothing to gain and nothing to lose" --- because nothing remains as it is now? There is no *lasting* value to a situation or thing because the situation continuously changes and the thing decays - even if imperceptible? (IOW: "dependent origination. The absolute is the relative.")

Is that close?

However, if the absolute = relative, one of these elements of the equation is not defined correctly....? There is no absolute, except in the most minimal fraction?
  • Everything is unsupported and ungraspable.

So the illusion is that there is something to gain or something to lose. There was never a thing to begin with. Just appearences based on dependent origination.

To see that all things lack inherent existence is to see emptiness is form. Now to see form is emptiness is to see the luminous quality of emptiness.

Absolute and relative are functions of teaching. Even dependent origination and emptiness are rafts that bring about the freedom or hearts release.

Not sure if this helps.
  • Not EVERYTHING is caused or empty...nirvana is not. In this sense, we are trying to escape all causes and conditions so we can be "free" and cause-less.

So is our true-nature cause-less?
  • To see that everything is based on causes and conditions is to see the lack of inherent existence.

And vice versa.

To accept this completely leads to what is. What is, is the natural state of letting go.

All thoughts appear (luminous) but are empty (unfindable, lacking of inherency). Thus everything is already the unborn. No true birth and no true death.

Magic!
  • @Pauliwago, So you are basicly asking why I shouldn't punch you out because if all is empty then what meaning would anything have?

This is a wrong understanding of emptiness to think there is no evil. It is called shunyata poisoning by Trungpa Rinpoche. There is evil, but there is no self-existent force, evil.

Evil is relative. For example punching you out is relatively more evil than giving you a cookie. But there is no absolute 'evil'.

Emptiness is part and parcel with dependent origination, in which all things are relative as opposed to absolute.

Emptiness isn't how something IS. Rather it is how things are NOT. Dedpendent origination is how things are. You can think of DO as mirrors. Everything mirrors everything else from two beings to two particles. This is called Indra's net.
  • So much to digest!
    So the conceptual reality (evil exists) and the ultimate reality (there is no inherent evil) are both true. I was beginning to think that the ultimate reality was THE reality..but now I'm beginning to see that both are part of one? One is not superior over the other. Is this correct?
  • Emptiness is how things are not.. Whereas dependent origination is how they are.
  • With emptiness you free yourself from eternalism. With dependent origination you free yourself from nihilism.
  • In my opinion, emptiness refers to how we start out in life with absolutely zero knowledge of what’s going on. Then as we grow up our environment (parents, teachers, etc.) influence our way of perceiving the world. So once we’re adult, what do we have, nothing but the development of those initial ideas, initial upbringing. For most of us, that has meant a materialistic existence of what’s yours is yours and what’s mine is mine. The strongest will pick on the weakest, etc. We may go to church and hear words of togetherness and compassion for the poor, but it doesn’t register because our mindset has been already programmed towards selfishness. It goes in one ear and out the other, basically.
    If we’re to change our attitude and search for holiness, then we really have to start from zero, and erase all preconceptions and everything we have been thought. We have to empty ourselves and let illumination enter in and fill a void. When it’s not complete surrender, it’s very hard to advance towards a better way. What we need to do is create a spiritual environment that will influence us much as the material environment influenced as growing up. We need to consider ourselves as just having come out of the womb, and having zero knowledge, to use the childbirth metaphor. Only then can the old paradigm be broken and allow Truth to enter in and change how we perceive the world.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited December 2011
    If you think about it...actual emptiness or space still consists of many physical entities within it. It consists of things that in which fills that emptiness and appears to our perception as being "empty". So then what is the actual emptiness that spoken of in Buddhism? I believe that the "emptiness" that is spoken of in Buddhism refers to the illusion of all things that which appear to be permanent, solid, stable, or trustworthy. This emptiness is illusive and will not appear as being empty upfront.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I was going to put this thread in 'Advanced Ideas' but it's got a real whole bunch of good stuff in it. Heck, I've even 'pinned' it for now.....
    nice work, guys!
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I just love those questions and answers.

I have a question in return, to everyone. Emptiness is not a thing or object. I cannot give you a handful of emptiness. Emptiness is a quality or characteristic applied to something. We say, "The bowl is empty" or "The bowl is filled". But, emptiness can only be comprehended if you can answer the following question. Anyone care to take a stab at it? I guarantee, there are no right and wrong answers, only your current understanding.

So my question is: "Where does the emptiness go to, when you fill the bowl with water?"

• Emptiness in buddhism refers to emptiness of self rather than emptiness of water.
  • Emptiness in buddhism refers to emptiness of self rather than emptiness of water.
    OK, "Where does the emptiness go to, when you fill your mind with thoughts?"
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    emptiness of thoughts no longer applies when there are thoughts.. but emptiness of thoughts is not emptiness of self.

thoughts are not self.
  • Emptiness always exists until we realize the true dhamma. It does not come and go. To realize emptiness is to see impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and things which lack inherent existence in all things.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Emptiness doesn't go anywhere because it isn't distinguishable between thoughts and all phenomena.

Thoughts themselves are
    Luminous and empty. Everything experienced is emptiness itself. Not as a thing but as appearances that are hollow.

A thought vividly appears yet it isn't truly there. We cannot even say it is here, there, born, dies. There is no true attribute or characteristic to thoughts other than what we infer and project.

All phenemena outside and inside are the same. Lacking of any true substance. But the amazing thing is all things appear. All things are vivid and bright.

Luminous emptiness.
  • There is no awareness behind watching thoughts.

A thought is aware of a thought.

If there is no thought then attention is somewhere else.

So thought appears then smell appears then sound appears. The focus is always on one thing at a time. It happens so fast and the mind links ao fast that we have this seemless, whole experience.

All is self luminous and empty. Look for any abiding phenomena be it of the subject or object. We cannot find anything. Everything is inferred and not knowing directly.

To experience directly is to see the vividness and emptiness of whatever seems to arise. Then it is to see directly how the mind attaches stories and clings to a projected idea that isn't there.

In fact all is a projection of mind based on karma. An object only appears hard because of the karma. If we condition ourselves then hard can become orgasmic bliss giving feeling.

Everything as it is, is the dharmakaya. It is the truth body.

Drink the damn water in the bowl.
  • no emptiness apart from the mind that realizes emptiness. =]

emptiness itself is empty. it cannot have self nature. it also is dependent.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Why choose to be "good" over "bad"? Why choose to be "helpful" over "hurtful"?
    It's not so much about choices. It's about seeing or not seeing. Once you see, you will not make a wrong choice. It's like seeing a fork in the road and knowing one of the road goes in circles. Once you know you will ultimately decide not to take the road that goes in circles.

• Emptiness can be thought off by the digit zero,the nature of zero is emptiness,but when we put the zero in front of one it becomes ten,so we see that emptiness can appear to be useless,but it contains the whole universe. The universe can only exist because all phenomena are empty ,if it did not nothing would change or come into being.

• My main question: how do you derive meaning out of emptiness?

Or to rephrase: if you accept the fact that everything is emptiness and emptiness is everything, what motivates you to do what you do?
    The challenge is definitions!

Emptiness on one hand implies nothing (i.e there is nothing whatsoever at all) - however looking at it another way, an empty position is full of potential - when it is expressed, it is no longer empty and no longer has potential, as the potential has been expressed - thus a state of emptiness is nothing and everything... I would at this point slap you and say... 'didnt see that coming did you'?!! so its emptiness = full of potential... anything can happen!

Another useful analogy is a loan from a bank - imagine taking a loan for $100 and then paying it back immediately - when you enter the bank you had nothing, when you leave you have nothing - but something happened - there was a loan which was then extinguished - net effect, no loan and no change - actually there was a lot more going on...

your rephrased 2nd part is a stand alone question in itself - what motivates me to do what I do? nothing... just the act of doing itself - otherwise I would be motionless.

Let me pose this to you in another way - when youre kind to someone, do you expect something back in return? is it reciprocal alturism that drives you or just alturism? Do you need a 'reason' to do something - are you afraid that God will punish you or you will go to hell? Do you fear your karma? Do you seek enlightenment and have to follow rules? What happens when noone is watching over your shoulder?

Or is it ok just to do things that reduce suffering (because suffering is hard and can be eliminated) and your love and compassion has no reason and no boundaries...? Do you need motivation to breathe and eat and sh*t?
  • Pauliwago,

The experience of emptiness is not to make meaning out of the world. The struggle with meaning is a necessary and predominant cause of suffering. So "to make meaning out of emptiness" is not useful.

To the extent a person is enlightened, I imagine they have no self-interested motivation to do anything. To the extent a person is not enlightened, yet want to be, it is correct for them to be motivated to become enlightened. Why? Because that is what they want.

If you envision enlightenment as a kind of field that can grow in a person, the part of them that already has established the field has no self-interested motivation to do anything, while the rest of them wants to adopt the field (but may not be ready to).

The nature of enlightenment is giving. This is why compassion is a crucially important part of the process. That which already has the field has it to the extent it gives it away. This is how clear mind is cultivated.

Conrad.
  • emptiness itself is empty. it cannot have self nature. it also is dependent.
    Dependent on what exactly?
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/14230/understanding-emptiness-by-the-dalai-lama#Item_4

Emptiness is dependent on a mind to perceive an object and to see its lack of.

But thats just my opinion. I believe the dalai lama in the above post has a more elaborate answer.

You're going to get different answers based on how you look at it and how another looks at it. Experientially it is described differently than philosophically.

Anyways hope this helps.
  • Nagarjuna’s Seventy Verses on Emptiness explain his teaching that phenomena are empty of inherent existence. Nagarjuna says that phenomena are not inherently existent, because they are dependent-arising. Dependent-arising refers to the fact that phenomena arise dependently in relation to their causes and conditions of existence.

The arising of phenomena dependently in relation to their causes and conditions of existence means that phenomena are in cause-and-effect relationships. Phenomena are not inherently the cause of their own existence. The continuation or cessation of phenomena is also dependent upon causes and conditions of existence, and is not inherently existent.

To say that phenomena are not inherently existent is not to say that phenomena are non-existent. The statement that phenomena are not inherently existent means that phenomena depend upon causes and conditions of existence. If phenomena did not depend on causality, they would not exist. Therefore, to say that phenomena exist inherently is actually to say that they do not exist (verse 16).

If it is understood that phenomena are not inherently existent, it can be seen that suffering does not exist inherently. Recognition of this teaching can help us to attain nirvana, which is the cessation of suffering.

For Nagarjuna, emptiness should not be interpreted ontologically, but rather in the way of the parable of the raft: The Buddhist teaching (especially shunyata), is like the raft one constructs for the crossing of a river. Once the river is crossed, the purpose of the raft has been served. It may now be discarded

The same is true of emptiness: it should not be held on to; one who does hold on to it will have trouble functioning in life. In this sense, emptiness could also be compared to a laxative: once the obstruction has passed, there is no need to continue taking it.
    You're going to get different answers based on how you look at it and how another looks at it.
    Yes, exactly, because we all have our own intents and purposes. Do you know why you say that it is dependent on certain things?
  • @praxis

To remind myself to not be caught up in a philosophical position.
    At times I grasp at emptiness, but the emptiness of emptiness frees the grasping.

But that is if I am looking at it through philosophy.

At the end of the day its about freedom.
  • @taiyaki

How is believing that emptiness is dependent on something going to help in your quest to be free?
  • Emptiness Itself is Empty

Even emptiness is empty. For example, the emptiness of the bottle of milk does not exist inherently. Rather, it exists in a dependent way. The emptiness of the bottle of milk is dependent upon its basis (the bottle of milk). It is also dependent upon having been designated as emptiness. As we saw above, this is alluded to in Nagarjuna’s Treatise, verse 24.18.

Understood this way, emptiness is not a substitute term for awareness. Emptiness is not an essense. It is not a substratum or background condition. Things do not arise out of emptiness and subside back into emptiness. Emptiness is not a quality that things have, which makes them empty. Rather, to be a thing in the first place, is to be empty.

It is easy to misunderstand emptiness by idealizing or reifying it by thinking that it is an absolute, an essence, or a special realm of being or experience. It is not any of those things. It is actually the opposite. It is merely the way things exist, which is without essence or self-standing nature or a substratum of any kind. Here is a list characteristics of emptiness, to help avoid some of the frequent misunderstandings about emptiness, according to the Buddhist Consequentialists:

Emptiness is not a substance
    Emptiness is not a substratum or background
    Emptiness is not light
    Emptiness is not consciousness or awareness
    Emptiness is not the Absolute
    Emptiness does not exist on its own
    Objects do not consist of emptiness
    Objects do not arise from emptiness
    Emptiness of the "I" does not negate the "I"
    Emptiness is not the feeling that results when no objects are appearing to the mind
    Meditating on emptiness does not consist of quieting the mind

&

The Dialectical Approach

The Consequentialists do not argue for substantive positions, but proceed dialectically. They argue by drawing out the unwanted and unexpected logical consequences entailed by their interlocutors' positions. The Consequentialist style of refutation is as follows: while in debate over metaphysical issues with an interlocutor, the Consequentialist refutes the interlocutor not by negating the interlocutor's statement with a counter-statement (e.g., that matter exists, not Mind), but by finding an inconsistency or a reductio ad absurdum among the interlocutor's statements. This allows Consequentialism to be positionless with respect to issues, most notably on questions of existence and non-existence.

Imagine a philosopher coming up to a man who is sitting quietly against a tree, and telling the man that the tree truly exists because it is of the nature of Mind, and only Mind really exists. The sitting man is a consequentialist. He doesn't have an opinion on the existence or non-existence of Mind or the tree, and doesn't wish to convince the philosopher of a contrary position; he's just sitting there. So he won't offer a counter-claim or argue that the tree really doesn't exist as Mind. Instead, he will draw out more statements from the philosopher until the philosopher is involved in a contradiction. Or he might show that the philosopher's assumptions entail an absurd, unwanted conclusion. Then he'll go back to sitting against the tree.

The Consequentialist school is the most thoroughgoing of the Mahayana schools in its rejection of any kind of intrinsic nature. Even though it is the school of His Holiness the current Dalai Lama, most of the Dalai Lama's public teachings are about other topics of wider interest. Emptiness teachings can get abstract and subtle, and not everyone is interested in them. But if you do find books in English on emptiness, most of them are likely to be written from the Consequentialist standpoint. You will find a list of these books in the References below.

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2009/02/nondual-emptiness-teachings.html#ee
  • Emptiness Itself is Empty

Even emptiness is empty. For example, the emptiness of the bottle of milk does not exist inherently. Rather, it exists in a dependent way. The emptiness of the bottle of milk is dependent upon its basis (the bottle of milk). It is also dependent upon having been designated as emptiness. As we saw above, this is alluded to in Nagarjuna’s Treatise, verse 24.18.

Understood this way, emptiness is not a substitute term for awareness. Emptiness is not an essense. It is not a substratum or background condition. Things do not arise out of emptiness and subside back into emptiness. Emptiness is not a quality that things have, which makes them empty. Rather, to be a thing in the first place, is to be empty.

It is easy to misunderstand emptiness by idealizing or reifying it by thinking that it is an absolute, an essence, or a special realm of being or experience. It is not any of those things. It is actually the opposite. It is merely the way things exist, which is without essence or self-standing nature or a substratum of any kind. Here is a list characteristics of emptiness, to help avoid some of the frequent misunderstandings about emptiness, according to the Buddhist Consequentialists:

Emptiness is not a substance
    Emptiness is not a substratum or background
    Emptiness is not light
    Emptiness is not consciousness or awareness
    Emptiness is not the Absolute
    Emptiness does not exist on its own
    Objects do not consist of emptiness
    Objects do not arise from emptiness
    Emptiness of the "I" does not negate the "I"
    Emptiness is not the feeling that results when no objects are appearing to the mind
    Meditating on emptiness does not consist of quieting the mind

&

The Dialectical Approach

The Consequentialists do not argue for substantive positions, but proceed dialectically. They argue by drawing out the unwanted and unexpected logical consequences entailed by their interlocutors' positions. The Consequentialist style of refutation is as follows: while in debate over metaphysical issues with an interlocutor, the Consequentialist refutes the interlocutor not by negating the interlocutor's statement with a counter-statement (e.g., that matter exists, not Mind), but by finding an inconsistency or a reductio ad absurdum among the interlocutor's statements. This allows Consequentialism to be positionless with respect to issues, most notably on questions of existence and non-existence.

Imagine a philosopher coming up to a man who is sitting quietly against a tree, and telling the man that the tree truly exists because it is of the nature of Mind, and only Mind really exists. The sitting man is a consequentialist. He doesn't have an opinion on the existence or non-existence of Mind or the tree, and doesn't wish to convince the philosopher of a contrary position; he's just sitting there. So he won't offer a counter-claim or argue that the tree really doesn't exist as Mind. Instead, he will draw out more statements from the philosopher until the philosopher is involved in a contradiction. Or he might show that the philosopher's assumptions entail an absurd, unwanted conclusion. Then he'll go back to sitting against the tree.

The Consequentialist school is the most thoroughgoing of the Mahayana schools in its rejection of any kind of intrinsic nature. Even though it is the school of His Holiness the current Dalai Lama, most of the Dalai Lama's public teachings are about other topics of wider interest. Emptiness teachings can get abstract and subtle, and not everyone is interested in them. But if you do find books in English on emptiness, most of them are likely to be written from the Consequentialist standpoint. You will find a list of these books in the References below.

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2009/02/nondual-emptiness-teachings.html#ee
    This is all just religious dogma. You cannot know that things don't have an inherent nature. Your experience of the world is extremely limited. There are dimensions to the universe that we can't even imagine. But if this dogma gives your life meaning and purpose then that's fine.
  • @praxis

I don't really find it as religious dogma. A direct perception of emptiness is verifiable through one's own meditative, subjective practice.

Philosophically one can come to the conclusions stated by Nagarjuna if they do the work.

Emptiness sets the ground for Mahayana Buddhism, which have made many individuals into great bodhisattvas.

Emptiness is a raft that brings about freedom from views. That is the function that ultimately brings about one's liberation.

It is not a teaching that is metaphysical. With critical thinking one can come to a sound intellectual understanding which can then give vision for the direct perception of Emptiness.

On what basis do you call this religious dogma? Did you even read what I posted?

You asked me a question, so I gave you my sincere answers.

So I would like a sincere answer from you. Where do you find dogma in this? Also why is it a belief? On what grounds do you assume that this is a belief structure?

And if you don't intellectually understand it or let alone experientially understand emptiness, then why dismiss a teaching and call it dogmatic?

Would love to hear your reasoning because I have never heard someone assert that the teachings of emptiness were dogmatic. That would basically defeat the whole function/purpose of emptiness teachings.

• If anything emptiness teachings would open an individuals mind so that they can accept different ideas, rather than be dogmatic and dismissive.

Well that is how it was framed and taught to me. Dogma isn't in the teachings but it is from individuals that grasp to teachings.
  • @praxis

I don't really find it as religious dogma. A direct perception of emptiness is verifiable through one's own meditative, subjective practice.
    I've just pointed out that our experience of the universe is extremely limited. What you experience is dogmatically held as emptiness, that's all. It doesn't take much imagination to show how limited your experience is, and how what you experience may be held to be something that it is not. Imagine an ant riding on a roller coaster. It has no idea what a roller coaster is, yet it may fabricate some sort of explanation which gives it meaning and purpose. It may derive some religious meaning out the roller coster ride, and that's all well and good, if it gives the little critter purpose in life. Just don't try to talk the ant out of it's religious beliefs because it believes it knows the truth and cannot acknowledge that it may be mistaken.
    Philosophically one can come to the conclusions stated by Nagarjuna if they do the work.
    What conclusion?
    Emptiness sets the ground for Mahayana Buddhism, which have made many individuals into great bodhisattvas.
    It has given many individuals meaning and purpose.
    Emptiness is a raft that brings about freedom from views. That is the function that ultimately brings about one's liberation.
    What's wrong with views? views are good and helpful.
    It is not a teaching that is metaphysical. With critical thinking one can come to a sound intellectual understanding which can then give vision for the direct perception of Emptiness.
    It's just an experience, like an ant riding on a roller coaster. You can dress it up and make a religion out of it, if that offers meaning and purpose for your life.
    On what basis do you call this religious dogma? Did you even read what I posted?
    You don't believe that anything you write can be dogmatic?
    You asked me a question, so I gave you my sincere answers.
    Okay?
    Where do you find dogma in this?
    Mostly in your inability to admit that the teaching may be false, like an ant riding a roller coaster and then making a religion out of the experience.
    Also why is it a belief? On what grounds do you assume that this is a belief structure?
    It seems like you are so immersed in it that you can't even see it as a belief system.
    And if you don't intellectually understand it or let alone experientially understand emptiness, then why dismiss a teaching and call it dogmatic?
    I'm suggesting that you don't understand and cannot have enough experience to really know it all. Like I said, our experience of the universe is extremely limited. We are like ants, taking some experience and turning it into a religion to give our lives meaning and purpose. Do you understand that?
    Would love to hear your reasoning because I have never heard someone assert that the teachings of emptiness were dogmatic. That would basically defeat the whole function/purpose of emptiness teachings.
    Yes exactly, the teaching offers meaning and purpose which would be diminished if they were seen for what they are, like an ant who eventually realizes he's just riding a roller coaster. Still fun, but no big religious meaning and purpose.
  • If anything emptiness teachings would open an individuals mind so that they can accept different ideas, rather than be dogmatic and dismissive.
    So do you accept that the emptiness teachings may well be false?
    In the same way a finger points to the moon. Yes, they are utterly false because they are creations of the mind for the mind.

But this never was about false or truth to begin with. The Emptiness teachings are about uprooting ignorance, thus finding freedom from suffering.
  • edited February 2012
    If anything emptiness teachings would open an individuals mind so that they can accept different ideas, rather than be dogmatic and dismissive.
    In the same way a finger points to the moon. Yes, they are utterly false because they are creations of the mind for the mind.

But this never was about false or truth to begin with. The Emptiness teachings are about uprooting ignorance, thus finding freedom from suffering.
    If they are false then they may not uproot ignorance and offer freedom from suffering. Do you, for instance, have ignorance and suffering?
  • Emptiness teachings are a specific antidote to the inherent/dualistic clinging of mind.

Because a mind clings dualistically and inherently this conditions suffering.

When a mind is freed from clinging dualistically/inherently then suffering is no long conditioned. This is not getting away from views, but rather seeing how everything is ungraspable (experientially).

So what exactly are you asserting? Emptiness teachings are invalid because they are baseless or just a simple experience?

If it leads one out of suffering to liberation then how can it be an ants teaching?

Like all teachings in Buddhism it is raft that leads one towards liberation or the cessation of suffering (or the elimination of greed, hatred and most important ignorance).

But whether or not such raft is useful is up to the individuals karma.

Emptiness teachings are always in context of the Fundamental Vehicle. It is always in relevance to the four noble truths.

What is the purpose and function of your Buddhism?
  • I can't accept that the teachings are false because they come from realization of emptiness not the other way round. I have had that realization so won't or can't undo that. I am not qualified to explain it to someone who has not realized it yet. Taiyaki, you are giving it your best shot and deserve much credit. praxis, have you read Nagarjuna? I would be interested to hear your refutation of his work.