Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"The Undertaking"

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited December 2011 in Arts & Writings
Others may have seen this already (I'm always late to the party), but I saw the PBS Frontline presentation of "The Undertaking" last night. The program is based on a book by Michigan "poet and undertaker" Thomas Lynch and concerns, as you might expect, the various aspects and points of view on death and dying. It is a quiet and powerful piece ... not least in the story of a husband and wife attending to the dying and death of their 2-3-year-old son. The wife's reflections are, for my money, a terrific advertisement for all of life without any side-trips or add-ons. No Buddhism, no Christianity, no Judaism, no Hinduism (nor any lack of those things either) ... just your life and mine.

The program is 54 minutes long (and involves some initial advertising and one break beyond which the viewer must travel), but I think it is worth the investment of time and patience.