Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Enlightenment

JayjayJayjay Veteran
edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Can anyone who has experienced enlightenment explain their experience. I also have a few questions for enlightened people: How long did it take you? How did it feel? How has your perspective and life in general changed? How did you know you had experienced it? I am aspiring to achieve enlightenment but don't want to rush it, especially if I'm not practicing right or focusing on it as a goal too much. Thank you all. Happy new year!! :)

Comments

• Sure, J-J, we have a whole slew of enlightened people here, who can tell you all about it! :rolleyes:

FYI, it takes most people lifetimes, many lifetimes. Although according to some traditions, enlightenment can happen any moment, it could be right around the corner. We're all at various stages along the path. I hope you're not disappointed.
  • Its ok. Thank you :)I understand it is something we chase through out all lives, just kinda hoping to get it this one(:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Enlightenment is a lot easier when the imaginative gimcrack about 'becoming enlightened' is set aside.
  • Enlightenment is a lot easier when the imaginative gimcrack about 'becoming enlightened' is set aside.
    So true. As Jack Kornfield famously titled one of his books, "After Enlightenment, the Laundry". Life goes on as always.

• So are you saying setting it aside from my mind, and not worrying about it. And to not think of it as a 'state' but more of just a thing. I seem to have reached some sort of 'level of enlightenment' but its described so much as a 'state' I guess that's what I'm waiting for. I might already be enlightened I guess.
  • Don't worry about it--that's a form of attachment. Just practice.
  • So are you saying setting it aside from my mind, and not worrying about it. And to not think of it as a 'state' but more of just a thing. I seem to have reached some sort of 'level of enlightenment' but its described so much as a 'state' I guess that's what I'm waiting for. I might already be enlightened I guess.
    The Buddha's Eightfold Path and Middle Way doesn't teach Enlightenment. It teaches about Dukkha (Suffering), its causes and elimination. The only people who claim Enlightenment are the false gurus that populate the world, and even they don't teach it. All they do is give you someone to worship while they tell you how special they are. Run far and fast from anyone who claims to teach Enlightenment.

We say Buddha was enlightened, but that's an honor his followers got together and awarded him. In fact, he was Awakened. This, the ability to see the world with a clear mind uncontaminated by dukkha, you can also do. In fact, my own Teacher liked to say, "Clear mind is easy. It's keeping clear mind always and in every situation that's hard."

• Before Enlightenment - Chop wood carry water.
    After Enlightenment - Chop wood carry water.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Before Enlightenment - Chop wood carry water.
    After Enlightenment - Chop wood carry water.
    Actually it's 'fetch water, chop wood'.

the distinction is of vital importance, and not to be taken lightly.

:crazy:

(just kidding.......)
  • @Cinorjer Thank you. That makes complete sense. I like that saying. I won't strive to become 'Enlightened' anymore. I'll try for keeping a calm, peaceful mind free of dukkha in all situations. :)
  • Enlightenment is finding the ox.
    Nirvana is riding the ox home and then forgetting both the ox and man.

Then one knows the essence and function of the awakened mind/heart.

Buddhisms goal in all the schools is nirvana or the cessation of suffering.

Enlightenment is a goal of the later schools, this is defined by the direct perception of emptiness.

But the difference lies in how one gets to nirvana and the function.

I think its important to note that in practice experiences happen. But it is realizations that are most important. An experience gives you a chance to break through. But a realization will write it into your guts and bones that reality has always been so.

But even still what really matters is function. What is the function? How does one act and move around in the world?

So i recall
    One wise zen guy saying that there are no enlightened beings but rather only enlightened activity.

And i totally agree. Just verbs and processes manifested spontaneously based on causes/conditions. But with a clear mind/heart it is very obvious what the function is and always was.

So that is the goal. To see the correct situation and apply the correct application. And to use all experience as a means to the function.

Someone is thirsty, you give them water. You acknowledge the suffering and the suffering creates conpassion.
  • Thank you @taiyaki. Once again your inspirational words carry heavy meaning and insight toward my quorums. Are you by chance a teacher of some sorts? Be it Buddhism or Zen or whatever. Just wondering.
  • I am an amateur practitioner.

Hope I can help. If you need clarification please ask.

If you're going to run, then run with the dharma.
  • Thank you. So deep, yet piled so high.

• The Buddha's Eightfold Path and Middle Way doesn't teach Enlightenment. It teaches about Dukkha (Suffering), its causes and elimination. The only people who claim Enlightenment are the false gurus that populate the world, and even they don't teach it. All they do is give you someone to worship while they tell you how special they are. Run far and fast from anyone who claims to teach Enlightenment.
    Cinorjer is always so refreshing!

• @taiyaki Well then I have faith you will go far with your studies. Maybe one day you will teach Buddhism or Zen or Meditation.