Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Day I Died - A BBC documentary on NDE

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited January 2012 in Arts & Writings
The documentary focuses on medical researchers and a few strong anecdotal stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zD9jigzzuas#!

Comments

• B5CB5C Veteran
    The evidence is slowly pointing out that death actual happens when your brain dies.

The people who believe who died, went to haven and came back are spewing bull shit because they DIDN'T DIE.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    In the doc the main question that they felt needed to be answered was when exactly the NDE occurs. There are brain explanations and there are spiritual explanations. If they can document cases where people can point out specific information that occured when they were measurably brain dead that would present a lot of difficult questions.
    The people who believe who died, went to haven and came back are spewing bull shit because they DIDN'T DIE.
    How exactly do you define death? The clinical definition is cessation of breathing, pulse and brain activity. If you mean someone didn't die because it doesn't count because it wasn't permanent then you have a view different than that of main stream science.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey, Mountains, check it out--it says anesthesia is at the forefront of consciousness studies! You're our man on the scene, with a front row seat at the consciousness show. :om: :om: :om: :om: :om: :om: :om:

The one comment I'll make about the doc who was catagloguing NDE's and had a check list of symptoms by which to diagnose NDE's, is that his list only reflected symptoms of positive experiences. Not all NDE's are positive, a small percentage are scary and upsetting, according to Moody's studies. The one thing I didn't understand is, if the woman whose brain they were operating on was dead by all measures, why were they operating on her? It sounded like, in order to save the patient, they had to kill her first, drain her brain of blood, etc., everything was flatlined. They said the operation would take an hour, so clearly they expected her to revive from the dead after an hour. ??! :wtf:

Standing ovation, person!
  • The people who believe who died, went to haven and came back are spewing bull shit because they DIDN'T DIE.
    OK, but how do you explain the blind woman who suddenly gained sight during her operation, when she'd never had any experience of sight in her life? Then, "back in her body", she lost the faculty of sight again.

• auraaura Veteran
    But as only your own death will ever give you both the authority and experience to invalidate their experiences as "bullshit," you do remarkably seem to be standing up to your neck in that very same "bullshit" yourself.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you!:0
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    OK, but how do you explain the blind woman who suddenly gained sight during her operation, when she'd never had any experience of sight in her life? Then, "back in her body", she lost the faculty of sight again.
    You don't need a supernatural explanation to explain the unknown.

• How do we define what is natural and what is supernatural? NDE's may be perfectly natural, but, as you say, with an at present unknown explanation.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    I

How exactly do you define death? The clinical definition is cessation of breathing, pulse and brain activity. If you mean someone didn't die because it doesn't count because it wasn't permanent then you have a view different than that of main stream science.
    We have NEVER seen someone come back from life after being confirmed brain dead. Once your brain dies you are DEAD.

"Today, where a definition of the moment of death is required, doctors and coroners usually turn to "brain death" or "biological death" to define a person as being clinically dead; people are considered dead when the electrical activity in their brain ceases. It is presumed that an end of electrical activity indicates the end of consciousness. However, suspension of consciousness must be permanent, and not transient, as occurs during certain sleep stages, and especially a coma. In the case of sleep, EEGs can easily tell the difference.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death#Problems_of_definition
    "

People like this kid:

We gotta believe this kid dead and went to heaven. Yet in realty, he had these vision of heaven under anesthesia. He told his Evangelical father pastor about these experiences. They all assume it was heaven!!

I love the originality of these death stories.
  • Didn't the film say some of the patients were brain dead?
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited January 2012
    How do we define what is natural and what is supernatural? NDE's may be perfectly natural, but, as you say, with an at present unknown explanation.
    A bright light in a dark room as told be the NDErs can be explained. As for NDE as evidence to prove rebirth and/or heaven is purely superstition.

Also people CAN get a NDE while suffering the effects of G-forces.

• We've had the G-forces conversation before. Some articles say that there are symptoms consistently present from NDE's that are absent from NDE-like experiences from G-forces.

Where's that video @Leon posted about the neuroscientist who had an NDE himself? We need to re-run that on this thread.
    I don't think the mind can be completely seperated from the brain. In the video one scientist gives a reasonable explanation for the tunnel of light and the feeling of euphoria based on neurochemistry. The one thing that isn't explained though are thoughts, memories, and experiences that seem to happen when there is no brain activity.
    "Today, where a definition of the moment of death is required, doctors and coroners usually turn to "brain death" or "biological death" to define a person as being clinically dead; people are considered dead when the electrical activity in their brain ceases. It is presumed that an end of electrical activity indicates the end of consciousness. However, suspension of consciousness must be permanent, and not transient, as occurs during certain sleep stages, and especially a coma. In the case of sleep, EEGs can easily tell the difference.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death#Problems_of_definition
    "
    Ok, I can understand this definition of death. When we define death occurs is irrelevent to my main question though, lets call an NDE a concious experience without brain activity then.

I've had general anesthesia. I shut my eyes and the next instant I opened them and it was 2 days later.

Under general anesthesia and in deep sleep there is still brain activity even though there is no concious experience. In NDE there doesn't seem to be any brain activity, though like the video talked about they still needed to confirm in a study when the NDE actually occurs. Though in a couple of the anecdotes there was pretty strong indication that the person had concious experience while the brain was inactive.
  • There have been cases where people say they have traveled out of body and seen things happening in the hospital on different floors. What they saw were later confirmed by other doctors. Now, I can't know for sure what exactly happened, but brain-dead or not, how can someone travel out of body if consciousness can't exist outside of the brain? I've always found it to be an interesting concept, and many claim they can leave their bodies at will.
  • That doesn't mean I believe it to be 100% true of course. How can I know if I haven't experienced it? I guess I'll find out some day...

• There have been cases where people say they have traveled out of body and seen things happening in the hospital on different floors. What they saw were later confirmed by other doctors. Now, I can't know for sure what exactly happened, but brain-dead or not, how can someone travel out of body if consciousness can't exist outside of the brain? I've always found it to be an interesting concept, and many claim they can leave their bodies at will.
    Thanks for reminding us of this point. We had an article (or video) that said researchers in the UK had placed objects on high shelves in operating rooms, so that if a patient had an NDE, they could test whether the patient rose to the ceiling, as many NDE experiencers do.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The evidence is slowly pointing out that death actual happens when your brain dies.

On what do you base your opinion?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    yeah, and by the way - watch your mouth(s).
  • B5CB5C Veteran

The lack of evidence supporting a supernatural form of a NDE.
  • Good morning!

I just had a weird dream again. I don’t think I left my body though.
    NDE is a weird experience which very, very likely occurs in the brain where all the other weird experiences are based.
    Under extreme circumstances this brain can do strange things; that’s not very surprising when you think about it.

For claims about an afterlife or about psychic phenomena there’s no real evidence. Just anecdotes which get better and better.
    Sorry to say there’s not going to be a very solid research on the subject. It would be unethical to (nearly) kill people in a laboratory and have them doing tests.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Also note that most NDE experiences come from the old "reptilian" part of the brain.
    Sorry to say there’s not going to be a very solid research on the subject. It would be unethical to (nearly) kill people in a laboratory and have them doing tests.
    Dr. Sam Parnia, from the video, finished up a three year study on patients undergoing cardiac arrest this year. They used careful controls and records to try better understand whats happening. The results are expected sometime this year.
    Also note that most NDE experiences come from the old "reptilian" part of the brain.
    Really? The researchers in the video didn't seem to know how or where they occur. If you have some new information you should share it with the world.
  • For anyone serious about investigating this phenomenon, I recommend this book (which I once borrowed from the library). In it, even skeptical surgeons and doctors were blown away when patients recollected things they simply shouldn't have been able to see or hear while their eyes were closed and brain activity nil. It also includes blind people reporting things they saw happen in the room once clinically dead, and other unexplained phenomenon. Many people are reported to have come back from being clinically dead and completely turning their lives around for the better following these experiences.

The problem, in my opinion, with defaulting to skepticism regarding every strange phenomenon is one can't truly be objective about it. The truth is we don't know, matter-of-factly, what happens. And to rule out any explanation that can't be measured, pinned down, or explained away through material causes is to automatically limit the range of possibilities.

http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Afterlife-Science-Near-Death-Experiences/dp/0061452556/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259790382&sr=8-1

• The Sam Parnia research is interesting. When people lying on the table, sea pictures they can see looking down from the sealing only, that would be something. It would be spectacular in the category of particles moving faster than light.
    I’ll bet they can’t though, but I’m curious.

Just think about it. When we don’t really need our eyes to be able to see; what’s the point of having eyes? Why are there blind people?
    If I can visit the kids lying on the couch, why would I bother to drive my car across the country?
    It is kind of absurd to be human when we are “free spirits” really.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Faulty thinking. A lack of evidence on one side of an issue doesn't prove the other side of the issue.

• Really? The researchers in the video didn't seem to know how or where they occur. If you have some new information you should share it with the world.
    I've read that OBE's can be created by stimulating the right temporal lobe with a probe. I think it was NDE/OBE researcher Raymond Moody who writes about that.

• SileSile Veteran
    How do we define what is natural and what is supernatural? NDE's may be perfectly natural, but, as you say, with an at present unknown explanation.
    Heartily agree.

• auraaura Veteran
    People die every day.
    People also get very close to death, but survive, also every day.
    People who remember such experience may have an issue with their experience and wish to compare notes with others who have had the experience,
    but why do people who have not experienced such things argue over this issue?
    What do they seek to "prove" or "disprove"?
    What is there to prove?
    There is nothing to prove!
    People die every day.
    It is an observable truth of the natural world!
    People also get very close to death, but survive, also every day.
    It is an observable truth of the natural world!
    What other proof does anyone need of the necessity of
    living life like it means something?
  • B5CB5C Veteran

Faulty thinking. A lack of evidence on one side of an issue doesn't prove the other side of the issue.

• B5CB5C Veteran

Really? The researchers in the video didn't seem to know how or where they occur. If you have some new information you should share it with the world.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/v158wh38kk374025/
    http://etd.fcla.edu/SF/SFE0000331/Thesis.pdf

Dimethyltryptamine and it's affects on a possible NDE.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

@B5C

Well, apparently you weren't making it up. Some have put forward that hypothesis. I apologize.

The first link only had a basic abstract and unless I spend $35 I can't actually read any of the ideas. It did sound like just an hypothesis and didn't seem to be a research study.

The second link was very informative and had a part that explained the reptilian brain hypothesis. Though overall the paper was a broad look at all explanations for NDE, 4 biological and 2 spiritual.

In fact it seemed to come down on the side of spiritual explanations at least in the sense of veridical information.

"...yet, one facet of the NDE stands out as the crucible of NDE models: veridical evidence. Veridical evidence refers to any of a broad type of phenomena reported by NDErs which lends credibility to their experience. For instance, NDErs might claim to have seen people or objects that they could not have possibly seen from the position and condition of their physical bodies during the NDE. My thesis is that only spiritual models have no difficulty accommodating veridical evidence."

The reptilian brain hypothesis also had no research to back it up and was a reasoned biological explanation.

I'm not sure what DMT has to do with NDE. Are you suggesting the body produces enough in a traumatic event to produce hallucinations? What backs that up? Why don't people taking DMT have life altering changes in attitude?

Also from that second link:

"Yet, one characteristic of the NDE is virtually undisputed by NDE researchers: the life-changing influence they exert on those who have them."

There are some biological explanations that work in part but they also don't have any research backing them up. To cling to them also seems like finding evidence to back up an already drawn conclusion.

• "Yet, one characteristic of the NDE is virtually undisputed by NDE researchers: the life-changing influence they exert on those who have them."
    I know a respected cellular biologist who had an NDE, and when she "came back", she found she had some healing ability, meaning something was different about her electro-magnetic field. I've read other accounts of people who revive from an NDE and find they're clairvoyant, or experience unusual electrical phenomena. This biologist, being respected in her field and having published well-received scientific articles in her career up to the NDE, began to study herself and write articles about the changes she experienced, from as science perspective.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    edited January 2012
    It doesn't seem to me there's solid scientific evidence coming down on either side of the issue.

Most of the spiritual explanations come down to veridical evidence.

Most of the biological explanations depend on the unproven assumption that the brain is entirely responsible for qualia.

There's anecdotal evidence for both but nothing concrete. Neither position is a settled one.

My default position is the spiritual one because I've had experiences that I can't explain through physical processes. Both personal and as I said in another of my posts that dropped like a rock, meeting an enlightened master whose presence of peace and love was palpable and not just by me. So I have personal reasons other than NDE to believe in phenomena outside our physical world. Also enough of the other Buddhist teachings have proven their truth to me that I'm willing to put trust in the others (the trust but verify kind). I feel like I'm willing to hold an open position on the matter, I do argue against a closed, settled position on the other side though. Give me some hard evidence that the brain produces qualia and that the personal experience of my life is a delusion and I'll change my mind.

• B5CB5C Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Check this out:

• B5CB5C Veteran
    The 2nd video is about NDE.
    edited January 2012
    Most of the video was Penn mocking people. I also wonder if he makes any money off of this program since he challenges people based on profit motive.

Can people be uncritical of unusual experiences, sure. Buddhism asks us to be critical of our subjective experience and seek to understand it through meditation.

Buddha said the mind and the body support each other.

The Buddha was often asked a set of questions known as the 'undetermined (avyakata) questions' which included 'is the life-principle the same as the mortal body' and 'is the life-principle different from the mortal body?'. The questions are said to be 'undetermined' because the Buddha did not accept any of the views expressed in the questions. He 'set aside' the questions as timewasting and misconstrued. The crucial reason that he saw them as misconstrued was that he saw them as asking about a permanent Self (S. IV. 395). In the case of the above questions: how is a permanent Self/life-principle related to the mortal body? As he did not accept such a Self, he could not accept any view on how it was related to the body! Apart from this, he also seems not to have accepted either view because he saw body and that which enlivened it as neither identical nor totally distinct. That is, while he did not accept a permanent life-principle, he accepted a changing, empirical life-principle. This life-principle was partly dependent on the mortal physical body, but not in such a way that the death of the body destroyed it; this would be to deny rebirth. The life-principle is normally sustained by (and sustains) the body, but it can be sustained without it, too.

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha205.htm

So certainly the physical process of dying will have an effect on our mental experience. The people who black out in centrifuge only experience some of the NDE experience. The feeling of disembodiment and sometimes a tunnel. There's no life review and no decision to return, I don't know about a feeling of peace and love.

Three cases of veridical evidence.

1. Maria, who was visiting her friends in Seattle for the first time, suffered a cardiac arrest and was rushed to the hospital. After she was revived, she reported having an OBE and seeing the medical team work on her body. Then, she claimed that she went up through the ceiling onto the roof of the hospital. One of the things she saw during this experience was a single tennis shoe on the ledge of a third-floor window. Maria described the shoe in great detail, mentioning a worn patch over the little toe and one shoelace tucked under the heel. When a nurse, Kimberly Clark, came in to check on her the next day, Maria recounted her experience. Clark was skeptical, but also curious, so when Maria asked her to check if there was such a shoe at that spot, Clark agreed to go. To her amazement, Clark found the shoe on a third-floor window ledge exactly as Maria had described it. Ring summarizes the force of this account:
    …what is the probability that a migrant worker [Maria] visiting a large city for the first time, who suffers a heart attack and is rushed to a hospital at night would, while having a cardiac arrest, simply ‘hallucinate’ seeing a tennis shoe – with very specific and unusual features – on a ledge of a floor higher than her physical location in the hospital? (1998, p.66)
    Ring concludes, “Not bloody likely!” (ibid, p.66)

2. She described an instance in which a 44-year-old man was brought into the coronary care unit who was cyanotic and comatose. She was one of the nurses on duty, and while attempting to intubate him during the resuscitation process, she found that he was wearing upper dentures. She removed the dentures and put them in the drawer of the medical cart. The patient was moved to another area after stable respiration and heart rhythms had been achieved, though he was still in a coma.
    The nurse saw the patient again one week later while he was recovering in the coronary unit. As soon as he saw her he exclaimed that she was the nurse who knew where his teeth were. He then proceeded to explain that he had seen his resuscitation from out of his body. He said that he had seen her remove the dentures, and he accurately described, in detail, the medical cart into which she put the dentures, even noting that she had put them in the top drawer. Additionally, he gave a detailed account of the room in which he was resuscitated and the people present. The nurse was very impressed with this account because of its veracity, and because of the fact that he entered the hospital in a coma and left the resuscitation room while still comatose.

3. This is the case of Pam Reynolds (pseudonym), a person who underwent a radical surgical procedure to remove an aneurysm from her brain. Ms. Reynold’s physical state during her operation is described as follows: At the time the aneurysm was removed, Ms. Reynold’s core body temperature was 60 degrees Fahrenheit, her heart was stopped, and electroencephalogram (EEG) showed no brain wave activity, there was no brain stem (including auditory) response, and all blood had been drained from her brain. (p.517)
    After the procedure, Ms. Reynolds reported a NDE. She experienced common elements such as an OBE, a tunnel, a light, and seeing several deceased loved ones who sent her back to her body. What is truly incredible is that during her OBE, Ms. Reynolds claimed to be able to observe the surgery from outside her body. She was able to accurately describe the unusual bone saw used during the procedure and she recounted some remarks made by the surgeon. The veracity of both the remarks and the description of the bone saw were later confirmed by the physicians.

The second and third were presented in the OP video and of course are only anecdotal but still unexplained.
    To the reptilian brain hypothesis.

In this way, Wettach attempts to account for NDE phenomenon using only biological factors. He writes of his own theory: “This paper suggests that physiological explanations for NDEs are possible, particularly if creative, speculative, scientific fantasy is also allowed” (p.88).

So sure, its a possibility and allowed but doesn't there need to be actual tested evidence too?
  • I wasnt able to access the link for "veridical" evidence, so I'm posting this. It has a good explanation of how NDE research has gone beyond merely asking "are the experiences real", to asking if they do represent instances of consciousness leaving the body, and asking if consciousness can survive physical death.
    http://www.near-death.com/experiences/evidence02.html
  • Great thread, great videos!
    NDE's may not be proof that consciousness is leaving the body, and aren't proof that there's a heaven with a Divine Light, but they point scientists toward phenomena that need to be researched.