Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bank of America, General Electric, Pay No US Federal Taxes

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited January 2012 in General Banter
Bank of America hasn't paid federal taxes in the US the last few years. They're registered in a dozen off-shore tax havens. In fact, they filed with the IRS a $5.4 billion loss in 2010.

General Electric also paid no tax in 2010. "GE claimed a tax benefit of $3.2 billion in that year. GE's extraordinary success is based on aggressive strategy that mixes fierce lobbying for tax breaks with innovative accounting that enables it to concentrate its profits off shore."

Don't you love that term, "innovative accounting"? They have a team of lawyers that works all the angles of tax law for GE's benefit.

read it and weep: http://publicintelligence.net/bank-of-america-ge-pay-zero-federal-taxes/

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    US Corporations are considered people, but do they consider themselves US citizens?

Corporations do a lot for the betterment of society, wealth creation, job creation, innovation. But their goods arrive at stores on roads we all paid for. They hire workers who have been educated by schools we all pay for.

Don't they have a civic responsibility to help continue the social structure they use to be succesful?
  • Did hear Santorum talking about how taxation on corporations is what is causing the problems on the economy and job growth? What really got me about that is he is from PA. In PA there is a thing called Keystone Oppertunity Zone (KOZ) where if a business/industry whatever, moves into the area, they don't pay taxes for 10 years. So, for 20 years it's been an in and out of business and industry. As soon as those ten years are up....there they go. Industry hasn't paid taxes here in decades.
  • That is majorly crappy. Hey I agree with job creation to an extent, however there are no guidelines at all. As far as I know the same consideration goes to companies that pay a poverty wage as those who pay living wages.

In my opinion any corporation that accepts government breaks, bailouts or preferential treatment should agree to some strict rules. My personal one is that the highest paid exec is not paid more than 10X the lowest paid worker. This is more the ratio on Europe and I belived companies like Ben and Jerry's have chosen to do this. It is criminal that the system that encourages us to work hard and have additional education and skills is still paying so low that many of my families on assistance have 1 or 2 working adults.

Sorry is my research is old or I am off topic.
  • edited January 2012
    US Corporations are considered people, but do they consider themselves US citizens?

Corporations do a lot for the betterment of society, wealth creation, job creation, innovation. But their goods arrive at stores on roads we all paid for. They hire workers who have been educated by schools we all pay for.

Don't they have a civic responsibility to help continue the social structure they use to be succesful?
    What a great point!
    should agree to some strict rules. My personal one is that the highest paid exec is not paid more than 10X the lowest paid worker.
    Those runaway salaries for management didn't happen until after the Reagan and Bush tax cuts for the rich. Back when the tax rates for management were 60-70%, the tax rate kept executive compensation in check. There was no point in awarding exorbitant salaries if the majority of the money would go to the government. Once tax rates fell to well below 50%, that's when corporate boards started going wild with executive salary levels, stock options, and so forth. No rule is needed. What's needed is sound tax policy. That's why executive pay is more reasonable in Europe; the European tax system.

• I would agree with tax changes too! I would agree with any sound policy that addresses the huge amount execs are paid compared to the average or lowest paid worker. It increases our needs for social assistance when people cannot work and make ends meet, it causes huge tensions in our country and it simply is a bunch of crap.

I just read 3 cups of Deceit. That is a book people shoud read if they donate to the pennies programs. I love the writer John Krakauer and think he did an honest and fair job. I got the 'narcissist' vibe by page 12. If these are the people in charge they really do not care, you can call an NPD an asshole to their face and it is pretty much ok with them (based on my most recent research).
  • Is that the book that exposes the guy who ran school-building projects in Afghanistan? Have you read 3 Cups of Tea? You should, to get the other side of the story. The problem with the Central Asian Institute, or whatever it was, is that it was one guy trying to move mountains, and putting together an organization by the seat of his pants. He needed more oversight, for sure, but he still got a lot of good things done, I have no doubt about that. If you want to start a thread to discuss this, I'd be delighted. :)
  • edited January 2012
    I just read 3 cups of Deceit. That is a book people shoud read if they donate to the pennies programs. I love the writer John Krakauer and think he did an honest and fair job. I got the 'narcissist' vibe by page 12. If these are the people in charge they really do not care, you can call an NPD an asshole to their face and it is pretty much ok with them (based on my most recent research).
    It's not clear to me who you're referring to with "narcissist", "the people in charge", etc.

I agree, a thread on this topic would be good. I've read reviews of Krakauer's book, and comments to the reviews, and it sounds like Krakauer had a personal ax to grind, first, and second, quite a few people have said K's book itself is full of inaccuracies.

I'd advise that after reading a critique of anyone who's doing a Herculean job in some of the most difficult conditions known on Earth, you do some research on the critic, and on the whole issue, before you buy into the critic. Several comments I read said Krakauer only examined the budget for 2009, and the other years contained no irregularities, why didn't he examine those? There are a number of holes of that nature in Krakauer's "research" , which to me screams of bias. Was Mortensen perfect? Nobody is. Did his book contain inaccuracies? Probably (he had a publisher to contend with, remember. They can force changes on a book once a contract is signed), and so what? He still build schools against all odds.

So, where's that dedicated thread? :)

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Ahh! Most of these big companies haven't! Nor a lot of celebrities.
  • edited January 2012
    Think of how different life in the US could be if the fat cats and their corporations paid their share! There would be jobs, health insurance for all, secure social security, new roads, new bridges, good public transportation, college scholarships!!, better schools, what else? Who else wants to join in on the dream? C'mon everybody, don't let's stop with such a short list. What have I left out? Job training for workers who want to update their skills. What else?
    Cake and ice cream!
  • I haven't started a thread, sorry. But if someone wants to then I will give my opinion. I was happy with the Karkauer book because he still does talk about what the organization and leader DID do, not just the problems. I generally stick to Habitat for Humanity and the Heifer Project however.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Did you know Habitat for Humanity is a Christian organization? I looked it up once. I had no idea. But they do great work, there's no question about that.
    "Habitat For Humanity is a non-profit ecumenical ministry" --from their website, www.habitat.com
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I haven't started a thread, sorry. But if someone wants to then I will give my opinion. I was happy with the Karkauer book because he still does talk about what the organization and leader DID do, not just the problems. I generally stick to Habitat for Humanity and the Heifer Project however.
    OK, Heerdt, the thread's up. I haven't read the Krakauer book, so I'll be depending on you for a book review. Please tell us what he said that Mortenson did do that was good, and tell us please whom you're referring to when you say you detected "narcissism" early on.

Meanwhile...back to topic on corporate greed and tax evasion. :D
  • I believe that the rich should not be taxed more. I see this because it is the rich that are the ones spending the money which is keeping the economy afloat. The poor do not have much money to spend and thus don't help the economy, while the rich are putting in boatloads of money for goods and services.

Also, it was mentioned that there would be better schools if the rich got taxed more, that is not really the case. The money for schools does not come from your income tax, but from your property tax. The reason why children from rich families go to better schools is because their family pays higher property tax which allows for education to get a higher budget and pay for better things. But in poor areas many families do not pay property taxes since they live in government homes or the land they are on is worthless. That means there is little to no money being put forth by the parents of the poorer kids for their education while the children of rich parents are shelling out alot of money for their kids schools and education.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Maybe federal tax revenue could be used to bring sub-par schools in poor areas up to snuff. But you're right about local taxes vs. federal.
    I believe that the rich should not be taxed more. I see this because it is the rich that are the ones spending the money which is keeping the economy afloat. The poor do not have much money to spend and thus don't help the economy, while the rich are putting in boatloads of money for goods and services. .
    Arj, dear Arj... First of all, since when is there only rich and poor? What happened to the middle class? Remember them? The country and its economy used to depend on the middle class! :bawl:

The higher tax brackets always used to pay more, and whaddaya know--not only did the rich and the middle class contribute to the economy, the poor weren't as poor as they had been. Some went to school and were able to join the middle class. And industry paid high school dropouts enough that they were boosted into the middle class, what with health insurance, union benefits, and so on. (The auto industry, for example.)

The highest tax bracket now has a tax rate of around 35%. No wonder the country's going down the tubes! State workers are getting laid off because federal subsidies to state offices have been slashed. Obama's plan to stimulate alternative energy development for export (we used to be a manufacturing country with lots of exports) was dropped for lack of funds. The military is being cut. I can't even keep up with all the cuts and the resulting fallout. The rich aren't spending the money they save from tax cuts (the theory originally was that they would spend the money on creating more jobs), they're hoarding it in offshore accounts, are investing it in their own private accounts, or are spending it on themselves. That's no way to stimulate an economy.

And guess what happens when so many people lose their jobs? They all go on public assistance. But welfare offices have been running out of money--it comes from federal taxes, but the tax base has shrunk radically. Have you been to Latin America? That's where we're headed--those extremes of rich and poor. Do you want to end up selling gum or lottery tickets in the street?
  • I admit I did leave out the middle class, but that was because I do not know how to write about it that way and I was just trying to get my point across about the differences in schooling which is easier to see if you compare extremes.
  • OK, scratch "better schools" from my list. :dunce:
    If the rich and the corporations don't pay taxes, who will? How will we pay to replace our crumbling infrastructure? We can't even pay for basics, like replacing and expanding a failing electrical grid, antiquated sewer systems, etc., let alone cover unemployment and other public benefits, not to mention job stimulus programs, which, needless to say, are desperately needed right now.

Has anyone noticed how the tax structure in many states has become very regressive? Without solid revenues from income tax, capital gains tax, property tax (CA and WA rolled back their property taxes), too much is hinging on sales taxes. That means the poor are paying more than their share.

At the very least, tax loopholes for corporations must be closed. Those statistics in the OP are obscene. I don't think corporations should be considered people. But since they are legally "people", they should pay taxes like people.
    Poorer people spend a higher proportion of their income than wealthier people. If wealthier Americans pay taxes that reduce the financial burden on the rest (school, daycare, healthcare subsidies) that will free up more money for those struggling to spend in the consumer economy. A billionaire spending money on a yacht stimulates the economy but so does the same amount spent on TVs or whatnot and a greater number of people benefit from the latter.

Savings and reinvestment by those with excess income also help the economy but how much of that gets invested and saved overseas.
  • And people wonder why I'm actively considering leaving the USA?
  • And people wonder why I'm actively considering leaving the USA?
  • I didn't know you're considering emigrating, Mts. Why? Does Belize have anything to do with it?
  • Just for the record, all these threads on politics and economics are starting to depress and disgust me. :p
    Politics is supposed be the second oldest profession. I have come to realise that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    Ronald Reagan

It's easy being a humorist when you've got the whole government working for you.
    Will Rogers

The problem with political jokes is they get elected.
    ?

Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad name.
    Henry Kissinger

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    Groucho Marx
  • Aww we haven't even discussed the apocolypse yet! :pirate:
  • @person :lol: :clap: :bowdown: