Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Zazen Practice

UdoUdo
edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hello,

in our Zen-Dojo and also on retreats we sit facing the wall. I asume it's the common code of practice in soto-zen. Now, I wonder if I should do so when I sit on my own at home. If I think about that ... what's the reason to face the wall in Soto-Zen ... and why Rinzai student's don't do it?

Greetings from Frankfurt, germany, 10:30pm, wet weather, 6,7° celsius !!!
Udo

Comments

• There probably is a reason, yet at the same time it is partly tradition. I would definitely say the mind is more important than how one is in posture.

In my tradition we put our hands on our knees and it has explained to me that is to show and feel openness to the world. So when I meditate I do that because it is what my teacher has shown me. Yet I don't think it is impossible to become enlightened in a different posture.

If it were me I would meditate as my teacher showed me. If for no other reason than to keep consistency. So when I ask my teacher questions I will not be barking up the wrong tree, couldn't think of the phrase to explain. But it's like I ask a fisherman what bait to use so he tells me. Then I use a different bait from what he said and I don't catch any fish. So I go back and tell him I couldn't catch fish. Do you see the inconsistency and get the point? I couldn't explain without a story as I am not a wonder with words in this case.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2012
    There is a reason for the way a zazen hall is set up, beyond paying homage to Bodhidharma who sat and stared at a wall for years. A traditional Zen hall has the students facing the wall instead of looking at a line of students sitting across from him. Also, that way you do not have the monk with the stick in your line of vision as he strolls back and forth, waiting to see if someone needs a tap on the shoulder to wake up. That would definitely be a distraction.

There is no place lonelier than a zazen hall -- each student engaged in a single, solitary struggle with their own mind. However, this facing the wall is best in a zazen hall. If you are engaged in single meditation at home, it's not so necessary. I'd say leave the zazen meditation for the zazen hall and otherwise, meditate whereever you can get a quiet space. Outside, inside, whatever.
  • I think the above are good responses. Whatever the reasons, facing the wall is something of a Japanese cultural accretion. It may go back to the way a particular Chinese Sect may have done things when Japanese monks were travelling to China centuries ago, but Chinese Zen temples now usually sit facing in and do a distinctively fast form of Kin Hin. Personally, my experience in Buddhist groups is that even the teacher finds it hard to change an established practice, as there always seems to be a group who become attached to what they are familiar with. Perhaps this is human nature, if a group has been sitting facing out for a while they will construct reasons why facing out is best, eg more Sangha connection, inspire each other, social facilitation, learn to deal with distractions and so on. Personally, I don't think even posture is crucial, I know advanced practitioners with bad posture, although I strictly adhere to good posture (hands on lap) because that way I find I don't suffer back pain.

In the end it is like learning a martial art, it is important to shop around at the beginning to find a good teacher, style and community - and most importantly one that you love doing. A good sign is that there are plenty of old-timers and if so, check to see if they manifest some of the benefits of practice. Once you have made a choice, then it is best to stick with it for long enough to have mastered it. I can't help thinking that your question is not the issue, and perhaps it might be useful to reflect if there isn't something else - deeper about the practice that is behind this question.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I have sat both ways in both Soto and Rinzai settings. I'm not sure there's a Great Big Reason for doing one or the other outside of what makes sense under the circumstances. I can make up Great Big Reasons ... but I'm not sure it's particularly useful.
  • Facing a blank wall provides you with fewer distractions, plain and simple.
  • Distractions from what? ;)

...The bright mirror has no stand, Originally there is not a single thing, Where can dust alight?
  • the wall doesn't move,
  • I just have a quick question. Recently I have made a greater effort to meditate at least 10 minutes a day and I have been looking at different ways of doing so, normally I sit in full lotus since I can easily sit like that but I have lately become interested in seiza, my question is does it become easier to sit in seiza the more you do it? I am asking this because whenever I attempt to sit that way I get a lot of pain in my ankles.
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.
    -Arjquad
  • It never became easier for me to keep my legs folded in any position for longer than maybe 30 minutes tops, and all I was ever able to do was half lotus to begin with. Be careful that you do not damage the circulation or joints of your legs and ankles when trying to imitate people who have sat that way since they were babies.

There is some debate among my doctors on how much the meditation contributed to the arthritus in my knees I put up with today. The main advice they give is, don't ignore pain. Pain is there to tell you something is being damaged or under stress.
  • I've tried seiza some times for ceremony and every time I get so much pain that I broke up and change position. Mostly I use my cushion for ceremony while kneeing.
  • Yea, I figured that, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I don't ignore the pain and I can't sit like that. I just wanted to try a different position than I normally do. Thanks for your answers.