Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What would the Buddha think of a nihilist

Omar067Omar067 Veteran
edited January 2012 in Faith & Religion
What would the Buddha think of a nihilist. Some of the Buddha's teachings told us not to be attached to certain things. I once heard a nihilist say happiness comes from having nihilistic views. Having nothing to lose and nothing to gain. I just want to all your opinions on this statement.

Comments

• The Buddha taught the Middle Way between nihilism and eternalism.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I think the buddha would be happy for the nihilist if he was pleased with having nothing to lose or gain.

The buddha taught that gain and loss was not under our control and was a 'wordly wind' that if we get caught up in controling can be frustration and turn us away from disenchantment with sense pleasures. For every high there is a low. Dukkha is no joke.

On the other hand if the nihilist were depressed I think the buddha would try to turn him to explore and relax.
  • nihilism assert nothingness.
    how can there be nothing without something?

hahahaha

the buddha pointed to emptiness which is the middle way between nihilism and eternalism.
    emptiness is the lack of something. emptiness is not a thing, but rather the lack of. and even emptiness is empty (not a thing).

the buddha would tell a nihilist that things do exist and there is how they do. then once that nihilist turns into an eternalist, then he would probably teach emptiness. if that eternalist gets emptiness then he would teach the emptiness of emptiness.

lol the dharma is medicine to those who cling to views.
  • Wow. You guys are smart. Buddhism is in between eternalist and emptiness.
  • welcome Omar
  • Wow. You guys are smart. Buddhism is in between eternalist and emptiness.
    haha! Only because I attended a retreat with Stephen Batchelor not long ago, and that's what he said. I lifted that phrase from him. :)

• Thanks. It's a good phrase.
  • the eternalist asserts something thus emptiness is taught.
    the nihilist asserts nothing thus dependent origination is taught.

the buddhist asserts emptiness thus nagarjuna rolls around in his grave.

the buddha just eats tomato basil soup. dance dance dance. i'm starting to lose it.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Wow. You guys are smart. Buddhism is in between eternalist and emptiness.
    Not quite, Buddhism is in between eternalism and nihilism. That thin line is where emptiness lies. Emptiness doesn't mean nihilism.