Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Some thoughts about death

taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
edited January 2012 in Arts & Writings
This morning I listened to a Podcast by Lama Marut entitled, ""Living Simply, Simply Living".

I haven't finished the two part talks but I finished about half way.

It talks about getting a solid 8 hours of sleep. This is done out of compassion for yourself and other people. We cannot be at our best if we are cranky.

Get rid of your alarm clock. He talks about how the first thing we wake up to in the morning is the loudest annoying noise we can find. Instead we should start our mornings in a more peaceful manner.

Buy less crap and use money more wisely.

Spend less time on technology and more time relaxing and enjoying life.

Relax a lot more and learn to just be here now.

More to come. These are fairly obvious things we can do to become more happier and fulfilled in our daily lives.

Also today I got news of a teacher in our building who was murdered by her ex-husband. The ex-husband then committed suicide on the spot. I met this lady once and she was a very cheerful, quiet lady.

It made me think about the fragility of life. How in any instant everything fades away in death.

What really matters?

Does the money I make matter? Does the job I have matter? Does my career matter? Does fame matter?

I truly think that thinking about death is very important. In the face of death, which is going to happen, everything seems little if not pointless.

And to me what matters is kindness, love, generosity, letting go, and peace. And most importantly being happy so that I can benefit those around me.

It is an ethical duty to take care of this body/mind so that I can take care of other body/minds. So peace and happiness should be the most important thing.

Then when death comes it is welcome with open arms.

I urge you guys to really think about death. And if death is interpreted as negative, well then you haven't thought about it deeply.

You have to die to really live this life.

Everyone else is busy worrying about dying or ignoring it.

Much love brothers and sisters. Practicing being happy. Fake it till you make it.

Comments

• Also thinking about death is a great motivator to get your spiritual practice going. Time is short. Do not waste this precious human life.

Go straight and liberate yourself from yourself. Then you can be happy and help others.

Everything else is just trying to distract you from your one sole duty.

Don't deny life, but learn to embrace it by embracing death. Then live fully.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Also thinking about death is a great motivator to get your spiritual practice going. Time is short. Do not waste this precious human life.
    Exactly! Those of us who meditate "on the breath" also realize that every breath we take may very well be our last. If we don't contemplate on, and prepare for death now... then when?

"Now, having obtained a precious human body,
    I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path."
    ~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Good words. Thank you.
  • I understand the negativity towards the thought of death. Keeping it as normal thoughts, instead of negative thoughts, throughout life, is healthy and good for the heart.
  • Embrace Death and Live!
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited January 2012

Much love brothers and sisters. Practicing being happy. Fake it till you make it.
    We love you too!(Or at least we fake it till we make it) ;)
    And thanks for the nice post.
  • Death is inevitable, once you realize that you can truly experience life.
  • Fact: you will die. Time of death is uncertain.

Live life as if everyday is your last day.

Accepting death is to fully accept life.

All worrys and fears and stress crumble when one lives if this is the last day.

Realize that whatever you own does not matter. What really matters is your interpersonal relationships. How good of a human being you are. The people in your life.

Forgive them and move on. Let go of petty arguments, move on.

We avoid life because we avoid death. We fear the very thing that is certain in our lives.

Well lets put that very thing to use. Lets not let it cripple us but let it make us live fuller and happier lives.

Relax more. Pay attention to your life and life around you. Smile and be happy. You're alive and you are a human being. This could be your last day. Enjoy ever single moment of your life. Don't let small things bother you.

Think about death. Think about how precious and fragile life is. Think about dropping all the useless shit in your life. What really matters?

In the face of death what matters?

Then change your life. Start being happier. Start doing what makes you happy. Enjoy what is here. Be in gratitude for this opportunity to experience life as a human being.

Do not let death depress you. Let death energiZe you and slap you into reality. Life is short, do something worthwhile.

That means help others. And others means you too. Smile people!

- my interpretation of lama maruts talk

thought i'd share. have fun folks.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Any one responding relatively old and actually closer to the day of death? I'm guessing not.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited January 2012
    This thread reminded me of this poem:

The clock of life is wound but once,
    And no man has the power
    To tell just when the hands will stop
    At late or early hour.

To lose one's wealth is sad indeed,
    To lose one's health is more,
    To lose one's soul is such a loss
    That no man can restore.

The present only is our own,
    So Live, Love, toil with a will
    Place no faith in "Tomorrow"
    For the clock may then be still.

~ Robert H. Smith
    1932-1982
  • Embrace and be comfortable with the unknown. After all, it's possible carnal death on earth may be the best thing that could happen to you!
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    "Men will wrangle for religion; write for it; fight for it; die for it; anything
    but live for it."
    C.C. Colton

Living Buddhism makes me feel very prepared for death.