Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"The Wisdom Project"

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Locally, the following ad appeared in a newspaper section devoted to senior center programs:
THE WISDOM PROJECT
Define & describe wisdom, identify wisdom sources, create community dialogue. No meetings until March 15.
Day: Thursdays. Time 10-11:15 a.m.
Facilitator: Rufus Chaffee.
Donations welcome. Open to ages 55 & up.
The ad did not inspire me to run out and sign up, but it did make me think that any serious Buddhist might want to examine the people or things or ideas (teachers, temples, texts, rituals, encouragements, etc.) s/he considered in some way "wise."

Aside from anything else, how in the world could anyone acknowledge or recognize wisdom in a meaningful way without being "wise" in the first place? And if this is so, how much reliance would anyone want to place in the "wisdom" of others?

Just something to check out, I imagine.

What do you think?

Comments

• Its interesting how wisdom correlates with old age. Not sure if i agree with that.

Children are super wise. Imo wisdom is the ability to see what is.

If someone can point to you to what is then that serves as a function of wisdom but is in itself not wisdom.

It isn't cultivated or lost. Wisdom is always showing. Thus when the wise say words of wisdom it touches a part of is that knows. Oh yes, this is wisdom. Nothing i do not know but made clear out of compassion.

Wisdom has a view and function. No view, spontaneous movement.

So really if one were to have the correct conditions then everything would appear as wisdom. Because we don't we must cling onto the three jewels. Until the three jewels reveal themselves.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Its interesting how wisdom correlates with old age. Not sure if i agree with that.
    @taiyaki -- Not sure how much I agree/disagree with it either.

For the purposes of the ad, I have a feeling the advertiser wanted to bypass discussion that focused on lipstick or brands of running shoes. :)
    @tayaki -- Go ahead! Make my day! :)
  • I double-dare you to go to one of the meetings.
    I double-dare you to go to one of the meetings.
    Actually, I was double-daring myself. There is something informative and touching about trying to nail Jell-O to a wall.
  • Would it be that this wisdom related to community bonding for the mentioned aged group so that they are not gradually trapping themselves into likelihood of senile dementia from lack of interaction. :p