Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eating Disorders

edited January 2012 in Diet & Habits
Hello, I am new to the site however I have been practicing Meditation groups for over a year now and Yoga for about 6 years. I am looking for any information anyone can give me on Books related to Buddhism and Eating Disorders. I have been in hospitals for Anorexia, I restrict food and liquid intake. My Therapist this morning had turned me to this site and she wants me to start reading on this subject and we will start haveing discussions in our sessions on it. So if anyone can give me some really good names of Books and Authors on the subject I would most appreciate it.

Thank you,
Wisper

Comments

• My ex girlfriend had this it's a somewhat misunderstood illness. How it is viewed from others, well I'm not quite sure, but I had always thought it was totally a self image problem. And it may be some, but my ex said that she thought and had read that it was about controlling. Is that right?

So from a buddhist point of view I think control is about anxiety. We don't feel relaxed so we tighten up even more and try to get something or just do something anything. This is something you have in common with everyone on the forum! But in your case I am guessing food is refused to have that sense of control.

How am I doing?

As far as books I can give some about buddhisms approaches to relaxing with the unknown but I'm not sure if my premises were correct in your eyes... so are they? :o

A good one (book) is Smile At Fear by Trungpa Rinpoche... Another by his student, Pema Chodron, is her website http://pemachodrontapes.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5
  • I read that Acceptance and Commitment Therapy is one approach to Eating disorders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance_and_commitment_therapy

“The mindfulness strategies in ACT have similarities to mystical aspects of some major spiritual and religious traditions such as Buddhism” it says.

There are plenty of books on mindfulness.

• I went through a period of loss and mourning. The physical feeling of having a perpetual knot in my throat, coupled with emotional instability...made it hard to push food down my throat...

Meditation helps, keeping a journal or speaking about it here will help.

I recomend eckhart tolle audio books.

Also, the first step is realizing you have a problem. Most cases seem to be associated with the patient's life situation and feelings of not having any control so food is something they feel they can control.

In my experience... I redirected my ocd and eating problem into gaining positive control over other aspects of my life.

There is nothing wrong with wanting control over your life. Imagine how you can apply your discipline into something outward like learning a new skill instead of trying to harm yourself.

And if you want to kill yourself, then kill the negative thought and emotions. Kill your vanity and die to yourself so that you can help others.

This is an oppurtunity for you to know yourself.

To be kind to yourself.

I hope you stay, there are a lot of great people here who are kind and supportive.

I still struggle with food, I keep a calendar to make sure I am having enough calories and when I eat, I practice mindfulness and gratitude and I don.t think about anything else.
  • Jefferey, thank you very much for your input. Yes I would have to say you are correct in what you say about eating disorders being about control and anxiety. Also I want to thank you on your suggestion on the Book and I absolutely love Pema Chodron. I will take advatage of the site you suggested. Thank you again.

Zenff, Lady-Alison, and Zero, I want to also thank you all for your input and book suggestions as well. I will do some research on all that was suggested. Thank you all so very much for your support and kindness.

Wisper
  • Even if you can live without food and liquid, you should never demonstrate it on earth as there may be many scientists around waiting for opportunity to seek funding for tests haaa. Why not try for one or two meals a day to satisfy your restriction of food but preventing unnecessary speculation and troubling the hospital by having them anxiety over your disorder. Shurangama sutra is a good read for liberating your restriction.
  • Even if you can live without food and liquid, you should never demonstrate it on earth as there may be many scientists around waiting for opportunity to seek funding for tests haaa. Why not try for one or two meals a day to satisfy your restriction of food but preventing unnecessary speculation and troubling the hospital by having them anxiety over your disorder. Shurangama sutra is a good read for liberating your restriction.
    Lol...good way to stay healthy and be motivated to take care of body is because you don't want hospital staff to be unnecessarily burden.

I never thought of it like that.

I need to remember that during hypochondriac episodes of madness I get. Rarely now but still.
  • Life is joys and grateful even in hospital. the hospital staff love joys and grateful as well. together, its joys.
  • Hi Wisper. It's not written specifically for those with eating disorders, but it helped me immensely with my own disordered eating.

Tara Brach - Radical Acceptance: Loving Yourself With the Heart of A Buddha
  • Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have that book and have read it several times. It is a good read. again thank you.

Wisper
  • edited January 2012
    Hey Wisper,
    I have no idea about eating disorders, except that it touches every woman to some degree. I eat when I am hungry and never think about it. But, I can sense you are a good soul and I really hope you find a way through this and help save others. May you be blessed with good fortune and may you be happy! I am praying for you.
  • DharmaField, Thank you so very much for your kind words of support. I am working with an eating disorder Therapist who has given me some tools on Buddhism as well as Meditation. She has been practicing Buddhism for years. I got really lucky to have found the perfect Therapist for me and my needs. She is the one who actually turned me to this site. She thought it might help to talk with others who can also give me some support and knowledge on books or just words that might help. I am also looking for anyone who has or is going thru a simular problem. Again I thank you for your kindness and prayers.

Wisper