Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

morality and religion?

2»

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Interestingly, another Thai Buddhist monk told me that there is no problem being a Buddhist and a Christian. And, if you do a Google search of "can you be buddhist and christian", you'll find a lot of interesting discussion of this.
  • The Thai monk was correct. Buddhism like you just described...following the spirit of it and following the spirit of all religions always lead to the same answer...compassion, the golden rule, belief in life after death, good deeds, IMO, the one God. . .

Everything else is interpretation
  • Does the star of david symbolize anything?
    Vajrayogini, and yab-yum. It's a tantric symbol.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Blimey, this has got a bit lively.
    I'm glad I remained so neutral!

Ease up guys, it's just a discussion on whether you agree with the poster.....!
  • jlljll Veteran
    usually, we accept people who consider themselves buddhists as buddhists.
    but for me. I will consider a person a buddhist if
    a. he has a sound knowledge of buddhism.
    b. he accepts/agrees with the teachings of buddha.
    c. he tries to the best of his ability to at least keep 5 precepts.

• Morality is doing what you believe is right from what you see around you.

Religion is doing what is right regardless of what you see around you.
  • jlljll Veteran
    I am taking Buddha's side.
    I am not asking you to write a thesis
    about what a buddhist is.
    I am just saying when you refer to a buddhist,
    what do you mean?
    Your personal opinion.
    That is what I want to know.
    I believe you dont consider yourself a buddhist.
    that is why i am keen to know who you consider to be buddhists.

Here's the answer I'll give you. I onMkce asked a Buddhist monk in Bangkok what I had to do to become a Buddhist (e.g., is there something equivalent to "confirmation" in the Catholic Church. His answer was: "If you think like a Buddhist and act like a Buddhist, the you're a Buddhist."

But, as with all things, it's probably a question of degrees. I believe in the 5 Precepts, I believe in the concepts of the Four Noble Truths, and the principles of the Eightfold Path. When you go beyond those things, my level of questioning rises substantially. And, I believe in finding wisdom wherever it comes from. There are many Christian principles I believe are wise, for example.

To be Jew you follow the law of Moses and ten commandments. Jesus, the beautides, the golden rule and"the our father". Islam, the five pillars.

I am taking vinlyn's side.

What gives you the right to decide who is or isn't a Buddhist?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

She's deciding for herself who is and isn't Buddhist.
    Whether you think that's a fair assessment, or just being discriminative, is your decision.
    She's choosing to be selective in her own way.
    We all do that, to a certain extent....
    It's just opinion, after all, it's not definitive or written in stone.
    jll can think what she likes.
    As can we all..... ;)

She's deciding for herself who is and isn't Buddhist.
    Whether you think that's a fair assessment, or just being discriminative, is your decision.
    She's choosing to be selective in her own way.
    We all do that, to a certain extent....
    It's just opinion, after all, it's not definitive or written in stone.
    jll can think what she likes.
    As can we all..... ;)

I don't necessarily disagree. I was really asking a rhetorical question.

I do think jll's "a" is a bit problematic. Thailand is the most Buddhist country in the world, and yet "a" would probably leave out a majority of Thais.

• ZeroZero Veteran
    edited January 2012
    opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one...!
  • I agree with@zero, I do have a big asshole.
  • True, false, maybe...?

What if the Religion tells you to do what is right, regardless of what you are told?
    ;)
    Then you're doing what you're told.
  • The original post does have a ring of - well not truth, exactly - something realistic.

Fundy believers of any religion appear to me to have giant blinders on. "(Deity) says this so it's true." "(Deity) says this is wrong, so it must be wrong." "(Deity says these other people should die, so I'll kill them."

We've all heard/read these types of statements before. I have members of my family who make these statements every day. It's all I can do to just ignore them.

What scares me is the lack of logic, or brain involvement. These are people who cannot think for themselves. The kids are also raised not to think for themselves, and so it goes.

You can have morality without religion. You can have morality with religion. But I don't think you should ever surrender your own mind.
    opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one...!
    (you left out the second half.

how tactful of you...... ;) )

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    True, false, maybe...?

What if the Religion tells you to do what is right, regardless of what you are told?
    ;)
    Then you're doing what you're told.
    Which is perfectly fine when it's also the right thing to do, because there is no difference then. :)

• opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one...!
    (you left out the second half.

how tactful of you...... ;) )

Wait, do you mean because shit comes out of their mouth.
    Ha!

No....
    Thanks for that...... :hrm:

i mean they all stink.
  • I agree with Hitchens on this subject, even to the point of faith based absolute morality, as dictated in the the Bible or Koran, being immoral.

"Evil people will do evil things, and good people will try to do good things, but if you want a good person to do a wicked thing, that takes religion"

• In buddhism there is dependent origination. Thus there is no morality which inherently exists separate from the mandala or context.
    There's a whole world of moral teachings outside the mandala.
  • Yes there are many mandalas and they play out as well. But the morals do not inherently exist even if the followers believe that they do!!
    Yes there are many mandalas and they play out as well. But the morals do not inherently exist even if the followers believe that they do!!
    Correct. Morals are a man-made construct, as proven by morals being different (sometimes considerably different) in different societies.

Of course, I also try to remember that many people believe all religions are man-made constructs, as well.