Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Everything about this game is so Buddhist!

B5CB5C Veteran
edited January 2012 in Buddhism Today
A kotaku article about the new game called Asura's Wraith:
http://kotaku.com/5880392/everything-about-this-game-is-so-buddhist

"Asura was once a revered general of the Gods who defeated an enemy known as the Gohma. Returning from the war, Asura was summoned to the Emperor's throne. But to his horror, Asura finds the Emperor has been murdered and he has been accused of the crime. After escaping imperial forces, Asura rushes home to protect his family only to find his beloved wife Durga dead and his daughter Mithra kidnapped. In his rage, Asura pursues his former allies who have Mithra contained in a glass capsule. As Asura charges to save his child, Asura is repulsed by the God Deus, who reveals himself to be the Emperor's murderer so he can bring about what he calls "The Great Rebirth". Weakened by Deus' attacks, Asura is dropped over the edge of the platform and falls to Earth while swearing to exact his vengeance.
Twelve millenia later, Asura is awakened from hibernation by the prayers of a young girl in the mountains. After saving the girl from a pack of ape-like creatures, Asura ventures through the world battling the forces of the Gods as he fights to save Mithra from Deus and the Seven Deities, his former allies who now rule Heaven and have been using Mithra's powers to amplify their own. Along his journey, Asura will combat Heaven's soldiers, ferocious wild life, giant battleships, and other powerful foes. It is by that time as Asura's former friend Yasha begins to see the injustice in Deus's ways and attempts to stop the Seven Deities' cause."

This game looks like Buddhist version of God of War. We rarely see any games that are influenced by Buddhist mythology.

Comments

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    That giant statue thing is a evil buddha? :O
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Everything about this game is so Buddhist
    Especially the part where he kicks that one guys ass and blood spurts out everywhere. :rolleyes:

The article shows many areas where the developers used Buddhist iconagraphy in their artwork and an asura is a being in Buddhist cosmology. The 'Buddhist' part of the game ends there though. There's nothing kind or wise in there from what I saw.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

Especially the part where he kicks that one guys ass and blood spurts out everywhere. :rolleyes:

The article shows many areas where the developers used Buddhist iconagraphy in their artwork and an asura is a being in Buddhist cosmology. The 'Buddhist' part of the game ends there though. There's nothing kind or wise in there from what I saw.
    True, but when do we games that are influenced by Buddhist mythology? Is the game here about to promote Buddhism? No it does not. It's just a story that explores one of Buddhism's demi-gods.

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    It's a Buddhist game in the same way that "Devil May Cry" is a Christian game. I mean, it's awesome, don't get me wrong, but it's based on Buddhist mythology and worldview, not necessarily a "Buddhist game".
  • Is this game coming out on PC/mac? The combat looks visually beautiful.. Is there a personality of the asura? I mean does he have a demeanor and interaction with normal people? Like Wolverine of the X-men has a banter in comic books.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Unfortunately, Asura's Wrath is a console-only game. :(