Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Post Images Of Food You've Eaten

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2012
    you'd have to, to make me try these again... I tried 'em... didn't like 'em....

Poached calves' brains.....
  • I'd take the bullet.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Back in the UK I was food shopping in Tesco, (if you are not familiar with tesco it is like a wallmart I gues), and I was in the meat section. Too my astonishment I saw packaged hearts, so as I am curious with a lot of things I bought them and cooked them up and made a meal. Quite nice, sort of like a rich tasting beef steak. Although, when I was eating it, I could not shake the notion I was eating a heart.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'd take the bullet.
    i feel the same....!

@ThailandTom, heart is actually extraordinarily nutritious. it's about as 100% protein as you can get.
    The British have become far too fastidious about their food, and have been put off from eating offal by food snobbery and Mad cow disease....
    But much of British cuisine was based on offal.... tripe and onions, stuffed hearts in Barley stew, ox tongue, oxtail stew, chitterlings, pork scratchings, devilled kidneys and of course, perfect giblets for the best gravy you could have, with chicken or turkey.
    Having lived in France for 6 years, i became re-accustomed to eating gesiers (chicken gizzards), andouillette (a type of sausage made with pork innards) and all manner of foods many would unfortunately turn their noses up at....
    I no longer eat meat for a number of reasons - but I still miss it.
    gesiers (chicken gizzards) and Andouillette
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I had to eat liversausage for lunch as a kid and always hated it. Thus I have bad thoughts about offal. As an adult it's not that I wouldn't expand my horizons, but I see a better future in vegetables. With offal it is just as I don't get interested in pop (soda, coke) or desserts which is because I don't want to light that fuse. I'm already hooked on enough animal products. I've recently started loving: spinach, sweet potatos, kale (ok only in smoothie), cabbage, cauliflower, tons of brocoli, snacking on carots. Whereas before I mostly only ate the vegetables typical of mexican-americanized food: potato, tomato, peppers, onions/garlic, beans. So I prefer to try a different vegetable cuisine than meat.
    Ah....Fried liver sausage, Friday morning breakfast at boarding school.
    A good friend introduced me to the delights of liver sausage and marmalade - the combination of sweet and sour making it reasonably palatable....

Monday was porridge - the attractive grey colour blending well with the pale sickly institution-green walls. fortunately I rarely ate this stuff as normally, being a mere weekly boarder, i was en route to boarding school on monday mornings....

Tuesday was kippers.... only distinguishable from the porridge in taste and texture, as the colour was frighteningly similar....
    Wednesday was cereal and toast. the toast was, by the time we reached it, cold, tough and useable as a replacement sole on a shoe, thus saving on leather...

Thursday was hard boiled eggs, which if you shelled them carefully, doubled beautifully as solid-rubber super-balls you could bounce round the room for hours, on a single throw... once you managed to wrestle a knife through one, you were faced with an egg-white that doubled as a pencil rubber, and an pale yellow powdery and utterly tasteless egg-yolk, with a dark grey ring around it. They were scaldingly hot, they'd scorch the skin off your fingers when you picked them up....

Aaaah, those were the days!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    :eek: No peanut butter?
    not with porridge, no, but it might have improved the kippers....
  • not with porridge, no, but it might have improved the kippers....
    Wrong. Peanut butter improves anything and everything.
  • @Jeffrey would have died in your boarding school. Good story, it's so illustrated and horrific that it has to be truthful.

It just has to be...lol
    It is.
    Trust me, when you're convent-educated, anything - and everything - is possible.
  • Grossity gross
  • when did this post turn into "post pics of the worst food you've ever eaten...?" I blame it on the haggis.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited February 2012

Going to make these tomorrow for breakfast.
  • Nom Nom Nom...now that looks great!