Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Familiarity with Buddha's original teachings

edited February 2012 in Philosophy
I've met a lot of people who claimed to be Buddhists but who had never read even a single word of the Buddha's original teachings, as recorded in Nikayas and Agamas. I've always found that to be extremely odd, sort of like meeting a Christian who never read anything from the Bible, or a Muslim who never bothered reading Quran, or an orthodox Jew... you get the point.

So what kind of a Buddhist are you? The one who made the effort to familiarize him/herself with the Buddha's teaching from Nikayas/Agamas, or the one who couldn't be bothered?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think it relates to the tradition one follows. Study of the original texts is emphasized more in Therevada. In TB much of the teaching is based off of commentaries and explanations by later teachers, but there is still study of the original sanskrit sutras. I believe zen is more focused on direct meditative experience.

So the options aren't to study the early texts or do nothing.
  • I made the effort to familiarise myself with Buddhist teachings (I cant read sanskrit though so I am in the hands of the translations) and I followed formal teachings and practice - then I made the effort to unlearn it all...
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I've met a lot of people who claimed to be Buddhists but who had never read even a single word of the Buddha's original teachings, as recorded in Nikayas and Agamas. I've always found that to be extremely odd, sort of like meeting a Christian who never read anything from the Bible, or a Muslim who never bothered reading Quran, or an orthodox Jew... you get the point.

So what kind of a Buddhist are you? The one who made the effort to familiarize him/herself with the Buddha's teaching from Nikayas/Agamas, or the one who couldn't be bothered?
    It's been a while, so I am going back to reread, thanks to your suggestion!

:)
  • The teaching that was written down first isn't any more worthy of study than teachings written down later. Thus you should be equally shocked at buddhists who have not studied the prajnaparamita sutras.

Sectarianism again :yawn:
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Oringinal teachings ? There are alot of Original teachings of the Buddha its amusingly sectarian though to claim the Nikayas and Agamas are some of the Oringinal works seeing as Pali wasnt likely the langauge Buddha taught in.
    Oringinal teachings ? There are alot of Original teachings of the Buddha its amusingly sectarian though to claim the Nikayas and Agamas are some of the Oringinal works seeing as Pali wasnt likely the langauge Buddha taught in.
    You could make a case for that for all the writings, since neither Buddha nor his followers apparently wrote down any of the teachings during his lifetime, or immediately after his passing on.

What the heck...is there wisdom to be found in the Nikayas and Agamas?

• In Mahayana AFAIK, the Pali scriptures aren't studied. Each tradition has its own texts. Recent archaeological finds, furthermore, point to the fact that Mahayana teachings evolved simultaneously with "Hinayana" teachings, and developed from teachings of the Buddha that the Hinayana monks de-emphasized. Meaning that the Pali is not a complete compendium of the Buddha's original teachings.
  • Even Mahayana is built upon the strong foundation of Hinayana teachings.

Without the small vehicle there cannot be a large vehicle.

The original teachings of the Buddha: four noble truths, 8 fold path, three marks, dependent origination are all foundations.

Regardless of what tradition you are in, if you do not study let alone practice to realize these truths then calling oneself a Buddhist is no different than Christians who call themselves Christians but worship Mammon.
    Even Mahayana is built upon the strong foundation of Hinayana teachings.

Without the small vehicle there cannot be a large vehicle.

The original teachings of the Buddha: four noble truths, 8 fold path, three marks, dependent origination are all foundations.

Regardless of what tradition you are in, if you do not study let alone practice to realize these truths then calling oneself a Buddhist is no different than Christians who call themselves Christians but worship Mammon.
    Hinayana is generally considered to be a negative term.
    And why do we need to compare what we do to Christians?

• "Hinayana" isn't a pejorative when used in its historical context. Theravada didn't exist back when the Buddha's teachings were being recorded, so one can't speak of Theravada in that context.

Mahayana is built on Hinayana teachings, but the Hinayana isn't taught via the Pali Canon, but through the Mahayana tradition's own texts, like the Lamrim.
    Okay, so it's not offensive to you.
  • It has nothing to do with me. This is the standard practice in academic discourse and historical analysis.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    There are parallel sutras in the mahayana and theravada. However not only are there differences in how words are defined between maha/thera. But also there are differences in how words are defined between shentong and rangtong views within the Tibetan tradition.

Tibetan buddhism views through the lens of hinayana, mahayana, and vajrayana. Not everyone views through that lens. Tibetan buddhism teaches all three of the yanas.
  • Buddhism as a whole seems to tend to splinter into two major streams:

1. Empirical
    2. Transcendental

How are these two streams different? Mostly, the differences lie in whether the followers of such streams believe in the historical authenticity of the Buddha or not. Empiricists do believe that the Buddha was a human being who indeed lived approximately 2,500 years ago in India and who taught the doctrine of Four Noble Truths and dependent arising, culminating in his teaching on the Middle Way.

Transcendentalists vehemently deny this. They claim that the Buddha is not, and cannot be human, and that he never uttered even a single word of teaching.

Furthermore, the two streams differ in how they view the community striving toward perfection (a.k.a. Sangha in Sanskrit). Empiricists hold that this community is real, and that it is the purity of this community that gives meaning to giving and receiving gifts (the teaching on generosity, or compassion). Transcendentalists again deny this, claiming that such community does not and cannot exist, and that it is only the Action of giving that is meaningful, and the emphasis is solely on the giver and the merits this giver accumulates, not on the receiver.

Put slightly differently, the focus of empiricists in Buddhism is on ethical and moral living, while the focus of transcendentalists is on duty.
    I've never heard of this distinction between empirical and transcendental before. Can you provide some links?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Transcendentalists vehemently deny this. They claim that the Buddha is not, and cannot be human, and that he never uttered even a single word of teaching.
    links. Who says this? There is the trikaya, but shakyamuni is regarded a buddha.

I think this is a waist of time. It is a grandstand soapbox to criticize motivated by intolerance and sectarianism.
    Furthermore, the two streams differ in how they view the community striving toward perfection (a.k.a. Sangha in Sanskrit). Empiricists hold that this community is real, and that it is the purity of this community that gives meaning to giving and receiving gifts (the teaching on generosity, or compassion). Transcendentalists again deny this, claiming that such community does not and cannot exist, and that it is only the Action of giving that is meaningful, and the emphasis is solely on the giver and the merits this giver accumulates, not on the receiver.
    Ethics is one of the six paramitas.
  • Ever read Saddharmapundarika Sutra or Lankavatara Sutra? Or Diamond Sutra?
  • I've read the diamond sutra. That sutra is about dependent origination.
  • Ethics is one of the six paramitas.
    Six paramitas (http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Six_paramitas)

1. Generosity (Skt. dāna; Tib. སྦྱིན་པ་, jinpa):
    2. Discipline (Skt. śīla; Tib. ཚུལ་ཁྲིམས་, tsultrim)
    3. Patience (Skt. kṣānti; Tib. བཟོད་པ་, zöpa)
    4. Diligence (Skt. vīrya; Tib. བརྩོན་འགྲུས་, tsöndrü)
    5. Meditative concentration (Skt. dhyāna; Tib. བསམ་གཏན་, samten)
    6. Wisdom (Skt. prajñā; Tib. ཤེས་རབ་, sherab)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    tsultrim is also translated as ethics. For example in my copy of the Jewel Ornament of Liberation which is the Lam Rim text for Kagyu schoo it is translated as ethics. The content of the text deals with ethics.

You should judge by content and context.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    By the way Theravada buddhism also has paramitas. And Sila is one of them.
    2. Discipline (Skt. śīla; Tib. ཚུལ་ཁྲིམས་, tsultrim)
    It also means ethics in the Theravadan paramitas.
    Canonical sources

In the Pāli canon's Buddhavaṃsa[3] the Ten Perfections (dasa pāramiyo) are (original terms in Pāli):

Dāna pāramī : generosity, giving of oneself
    Sīla pāramī : virtue, morality, proper conduct
    Nekkhamma pāramī : renunciation
    Paññā pāramī : transcendental wisdom, insight
    Viriya (also spelled vīriya) pāramī : energy, diligence, vigour, effort
    Khanti pāramī : patience, tolerance, forbearance, acceptance, endurance
    Sacca pāramī : truthfulness, honesty
    Adhiṭṭhāna (adhitthana) pāramī : determination, resolution
    Mettā pāramī : loving-kindness
    Upekkhā (also spelled upekhā) pāramī : equanimity, serenity

Two of the above virtues, metta and upekkha also comprise two of the four immeasurables (brahmavihāra).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pāramitā

That's ironic that you criticize buddhists for lack of awareness of the Theravada tradition when you are also not aware. That is the kettle calling the pot black.
  • I've read the diamond sutra. That sutra is about dependent origination.
    Here is a quote from Diamond Sutra:

"Subhuti, do not say that the Tathagata conceives the idea 'I will give a teaching. Do not think that way. Why? If anyone says that the Tathagata has something to teach, that person slanders the Buddha because he does not understand what I say. Subhuti, giving a Dharma talk in fact means that no talk is given. This is truly a Dharma talk."

(http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Clubs/buddhism/sutras/diamond1.html)

The above illustrates the transcendentalist approach, whereby it is vehemently denied that the Buddha ever taught his doctrine of the Four Noble Truths, dependent arising, and the Middle Way.
  • Just a bit of clarification: I am not saying that Theravada is the original Buddha's teaching. Theravada came later.
  • I made the effort to familiarise myself with Buddhist teachings (I cant read sanskrit though so I am in the hands of the translations) and I followed formal teachings and practice - then I made the effort to unlearn it all...
    Then what kind of effort did you make?
  • Also, Hinayana is definitely NOT the original Buddha's teaching. Neither is Abhidharma.
    Is this some kind of veiled sectarianism? I've honestly never heard those terms used before.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @nigelart, you do not understand the diamond sutra.
    The idea:

A flower is comprised of non-flower elements. So it is not a flower. And that is how it is a real flower.

A self-existent flower is not a real flower.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes, I have to say this thread 'sounds' a bit prickly....

I don't think anybody has any right to call anyone else any kind of Buddhist, based on the assumption that if they haven't read a lot, they can't be any type of Buddhist worth calling themselves a Buddhist.....

Study of the 4 Noble Truths, and the Eightfold Path, alone, can lead one to realisation.
    I was told this by Luang Por Sumedho at the Amaravati monastery, in the UK.
    But you really have to study them, in depth.

So i find it really rich that someone can be so critical of others and presume to be in a position to judge.
    Besides, knowing is fine.
    Doing, is better.
    edited February 2012
    After a short bit of googling apparently the terms empirical and transcendental are another way of talking about the pali and sanskrit division.

Here's an interesting read on the rise of mahayana.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhistworld/maha2.htm

...These Sthaviravadins followed a realist line, stating that all phenomena exist and are unstable compounds of elements. They taught that it is necessary for all humans to strive for Arahantship or release from the constant round of rebirth (Samsara). They taught that Buddhas are men - pure and simple, rejecting any notion of their being transcendental. The other group, which were in the majority, were known as the Mahasanghikas, which means followers of the great or major group of clergy. Like the Sthaviravadins, they accepted the fundamental doctrines as taught by the Buddha, such as: the Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, the doctrine of Anatta or no soul, the law of karma or causation, Paticca Samupada or dependent arising and the stages of spiritual advancement or sainthood. They differed in believing that Buddhas are supramundane and transcendental, they have no defiling elements, their lives and powers are unlimited. They also believed that the original nature of the mind is pure and that it is contaminated when it is stained by passions and defilements. It was from the Mahasanghikas that the Mahayana was to evolve.
    Here is a quote from Diamond Sutra:

"Subhuti, do not say that the Tathagata conceives the idea 'I will give a teaching. Do not think that way. Why? If anyone says that the Tathagata has something to teach, that person slanders the Buddha because he does not understand what I say. Subhuti, giving a Dharma talk in fact means that no talk is given. This is truly a Dharma talk."

(http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Clubs/buddhism/sutras/diamond1.html)

The above illustrates the transcendentalist approach, whereby it is vehemently denied that the Buddha ever taught his doctrine of the Four Noble Truths, dependent arising, and the Middle Way.
    This seems like a pretty blatant and partisan way to interpret the passage. This passage seems to be referring to an ultimate take on reality, much like the story of the Buddha twirling a flower and mahakashyapa smiling. To say it means the Buddha never taught the dharma, and vehemently deny it at that, is to me, silly.
    Then to claim that they deny the sangha. There is a very rich tradition in TB and Zen of a sangha, so that seems like a strange claim divorced from reality.
    Put slightly differently, the focus of empiricists in Buddhism is on ethical and moral living, while the focus of transcendentalists is on duty.
    I don't even get this, it just seems like some kind of cheap shot.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @nigelart, This is NewBuddhist.
    It's a forum for those interested in Buddhism, and tentatively exploring its path to come and explore new ideas, seek information and learn about all manner of different aspects.

we don't claim to be highly literate and vastly-read experts, and some are far more widely-read than others.
    and that's ok.
    But please do not presume that simply because someone hasn't read a vast amount of literature they are any kind of (lesser) Buddhist than any more learned intense scholar.
    Sure, it's advisable. but it's neither imperative, nor critical.
  • @nigelart, This is NewBuddhist.
    It's a forum for those interested in Buddhism, and tentatively exploring its path to come and explore new ideas, seek information and learn about all manner of different aspects.

we don't claim to be highly literate and vastly-read experts, and some are far more widely-read than others.
    and that's ok.
    But please do not presume that simply because someone hasn't read a vast amount of literature they are any kind of (lesser) Buddhist than any more learned intense scholar.
    Sure, it's advisable. but it's neither imperative, nor critical.
    That wasn't my presumption (although nothing is stopping anyone from reading anything into what I initially wrote). My question simply was (and still is): don't you find it odd to see so many Buddhists who are almost proudly stating that they never read any of the Buddha's original sermons? I'm not saying that any Buddhist must read ALL of the Buddha's original sermons, but reading just a few wouldn't hurt?

Or would it?
  • So i find it really rich that someone can be so critical of others and presume to be in a position to judge.
    Not sure where did you find judgment in what I wrote, but I'm accustomed to people reading all kinds of their own material into other people's words, so no problem there.

All I said was that it should not be an outrageous thing to expect people who call themselves Buddhist to have read some of the Buddha's original teachings, as preserved in Nikayas and Agamas. I never said they should read all of the Buddha's words.

I find it funny that people jump at my throat accusing me of being sectarian for suggesting that they read Buddha's original words. Sectarianism for insisting we get close to the very originator of Buddhism? You've got to be kidding me, no?
  • The finger pointing at the Moon is not the Moon.

• Is this some kind of veiled sectarianism? I've honestly never heard those terms used before.
    You've never heard of the term 'transcendental'? Or 'empirical'? You're kidding, right?

Veiled sectarianism for suggesting some of us make an effort to become more familiarized with the original teachings of the Buddha? I think now I've heard everything!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2012

There is a weird phenomena that I do not understand. Of all the different streams of Buddhism, uniquely (in my experience) there are two distinct Theravadin Buddhisms, an off-line one, and an on-line one. Off-line Theravadin Buddhism has provided the amazing opportunity to meet the most inspiring and wise people I have ever encountered. The most saintly in character, to be honest. It has also provided a chance to meet great fellow practitioners who became lifelong friends. Then there is on-line Theravadin Buddhism, where I have encountered so many people who bear no resemblance to off-line people at all, in attitude, and focus. It is a shame that the first face of Theravadin Buddhism that many new people encounter, is an on-line one that is so often a chauvinistic. sutta thumping, embarrassment. There are so many very good Theravadin Buddhist, both Ordained and Lay, and they should come on-line more, to show a better nobler face to new people.

This is biased and no doubt skewed and totally debatable. But there is something to to it. The strangest thing.
  • I see I need to offer further clarification: teachings found in the Nikayas and Agamas are not Theravada teachings, nor are they Hinayana teachings. Both Theravada and Hinayana are later inventions. Nikayas and Agamas contain the teaching that is otherwise known as primitive, or early Buddhism. This is the pre-sectarian Buddhism, because it is coming from a singular source -- the historical Buddha himself.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @nigelart, which buddhists are proudly proclaiming that they have not read scripture? Is that a cheap shot directed towards zen?

How many hours do you meditate each day? And do you consider yourself a buddhist?
    All I said was that it should not be an outrageous thing to expect people who call themselves Buddhist to have read some of the Buddha's original teachings, as preserved in Nikayas and Agamas. I never said they should read all of the Buddha's words.
    Again nobody said it was outrageous to read the sutras. What occured is you saying it is outrageous to not have read them.

@nigelart it is sectarian to say that buddhists from a tradition that does not study the Pali Canon is outrageous for not reading the Pali Canon. It presumes that scripture is better. Buddhas original word came out of his mouth. It doesn't matter who wrote what down first. Bottom line is that teachings are empirical any way you slice it. You try them out. Buddha said to test his teachings like you would test gold to see if it was real.

Anyway you are pissing in the wind. Go ahead and be outraged. Knock yourself out.
    It has nothing to do with me. This is the standard practice in academic discourse and historical analysis.
    http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2742

• @nigelart, which buddhists are proudly proclaiming that they have not read scripture? Is that a cheap shot directed towards zen?
    I met all kinds of Buddhists in my daily practice, because I am a Buddhist instructor. I don't divide them into Zen etc., but I've noticed that almost all of those practitioners never made any effort to read even a single original teaching by the Buddha. Some of them are almost wearing that attitude as a badge of honor.

I'm not saying that is necessarily bad, I just personally find it odd. Sort of like meeting a Christian who never... forget it!
    How many hours do you meditate each day?
    What is this, some sort of a kangaroo court?
    And do you consider yourself a buddhist?
    Of course, I am a Buddhist instructor, teaching others how to approach the Buddhist practice.
    @nigelart it is sectarian to say that buddhists from a tradition that does not study the Pali Canon is outrageous for not reading the Pali Canon. It presumes that tradition is better. Buddhas original word came out of his mouth. It doesn't matter who wrote what down first. Bottom line is that teachings are empirical any way you slice it. You try them out. Buddha said to test his teachings like you would test gold to see if it was real.
    It is NOT sectarian to claim that familiarizing oneself with the Buddha's original words is beneficial for the Buddhist practice.
    Anyway you are pissing in the wind. Go ahead and be outraged. Knock yourself out.
    Again, you are reading too much into what I wrote. I am not outraged, just tickled.
  • The finger pointing at the Moon is not the Moon.

I don't think anyone in here claimed that the finger pointing at the moon is the moon.
  • @nigelart, you do not understand the diamond sutra.
    When did I claim that I understand the Diamond Sutra?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I met all kinds of Buddhists in my daily practice, because I am a Buddhist instructor. I don't divide them into Zen etc., but I've noticed that almost all of those practitioners never made any effort to read even a single original teaching by the Buddha. Some of them are almost wearing that attitude as a badge of honor.

I'm not saying that is necessarily bad, I just personally find it odd. Sort of like meeting a Christian who never... forget it!
    Well I have never met anyone who was proud for not having read something. That doesn't make any sense to me. I asked how many hours you meditate because I think meditation is an important part of buddhism. And I wondered if you should consider your own practice before criticizing others.
    It is NOT sectarian to claim that familiarizing oneself with the Buddha's original words is beneficial for the Buddhist practice.
    I think the reason that many Buddhists do not study the Pali Canon is that it is not part of their tradition.

The Bible and Quaran are respecitively part of the tradition of Christianity and Islam. What you are saying is akin to Christians being critical of Islam practioners for not reading 'God's original word' in the Old Testament.
  • I think the reason that many Buddhists do not study the Pali Canon is that it is not part of their tradition.

The Bible and Quaran are respecitively part of the tradition of Christianity and Islam. What you are saying is akin to Christians being critical of Islam practioners for not reading 'God's original word' in the Old Testament.
    Now I'm completely baffled -- how can Buddha's original teaching not be part of the Buddhist tradition? If that indeed is the case, then such tradition should not be called Buddhism. It should be called Nagarjunism, or Chandrakirtiism, or Shantidevaism, or Rinzaiism, or Suzukiism, and so forth.
  • I am not outraged, just tickled.
    Here at NewBuddhist tickled is outraged. Don't ask how.

You've never heard of the term 'transcendental'? Or 'empirical'? You're kidding, right?
    I've heard the terms just not in the context you were using them.

Veiled sectarianism for suggesting some of us make an effort to become more familiarized with the original teachings of the Buddha? I think now I've heard everything!

That was in response to your second post regarding empirical and transcendental. I thought your OP was an honest question and I gave an honest answer to it.
    I think it relates to the tradition one follows. Study of the original texts is emphasized more in Therevada. In TB much of the teaching is based off of commentaries and explanations by later teachers, but there is still study of the original sanskrit sutras. I believe zen is more focused on direct meditative experience.

So the options aren't to study the early texts or do nothing.
    Now I'm completely baffled -- how can Buddha's original teaching not be part of the Buddhist tradition? If that indeed is the case, then such tradition should not be called Buddhism. It should be called Nagarjunism, or Chandrakirtiism, or Shantidevaism, or Rinzaiism, or Suzukiism, and so forth.
    The characteristics that define the Buddhadharma are the 3 seals annica, annata, and dukkha. Not the particular cannon one follows.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Now I'm completely baffled -- how can Buddha's original teaching not be part of the Buddhist tradition?
    How can God's original word recorded in the old testament of Judaism and Christianity not be a part of the Islamic tradition?

It should be called Nagarjunism, or Chandrakirtiism, or Shantidevaism, or Rinzaiism, or Suzukiism, and so forth.
    You are assuming the mahayana teachings did not originate from buddhism. Why do you think this? It is a lineage tradition. There was a schism because two groups disagreed. One group wrote a text first. That does not mean this text is more liberating. Buddha's wisdom also stimulated the mahayana.

I see a good argument that a mahayanist could benefit from reading the Pali Canon. But it's kind of naive to be surprised that they don't. My teacher said to study what she is teaching.. When I have understood that I will be able to understand what others are doing.

Have you ever read a document that wasn't influenced by a person's views or agendas? Why do you think that one branch of a schism is 'right'? It goes without saying that they were presenting their vision of Buddhism. And it had a view and an agenda. People are like that. Look at politics. Look at the Christian canon. That was motivated by political factor.
  • I am not outraged, just tickled.
    Here at NewBuddhist tickled is outraged. Don't ask how.
    OK, I won't ask how. Do I get the gold star now?
  • How can God's original word recorded in the old testament of Judaism and Christianity not be a part of the Islamic tradition?
    Good point. I don't know the answer to that. Nor do I frankly care.

But my hunch would be the God was not a person in flesh and blood. Hence he was made up. Same as the pregnancy of a barren woman is made up.
    You are assuming the mahayana teachings did not originate from buddhism. Why do you think this? It is a lineage tradition. There was a schism because two groups disagreed. One group wrote a text first. That does not mean this text is more liberating. Buddha's wisdom also stimulated the mahayana.

I see a good argument that a mahayanist could benefit from reading the Pali Canon. But it's kind of naive to be surprised that they don't. My teacher said to study what she is teaching.. When I have understood that I will be able to understand what others are doing.

Have you ever read a document that wasn't influenced by a person's views or agendas? Why do you think that one branch of a schism is 'right'? It goes without saying that they were presenting their vision of Buddhism. And it had a view and an agenda. People are like that. Look at politics. Look at the Christian canon. That was motivated by political factor.
    Again, you bring up very good points. I feel we're finally getting somewhere (as a side note, I always feel relieved upon encountering a mature person who, instead of immediately jumping at someone's throat, examines the argumentation brought up and deals with it; the extremely rare and well respected "don't shoot the messenger, deal with the message instead" arrangement).

The thing I'd like to reiterate here is that there is a difference between the original and the derived teachings. What could that difference be? You've pointed it out above by stating that personal views and agendas influence each and every interpretation of the original teaching.

The issue here is: are we to assume that each and every derivative teaching offered under the banner of Buddhism is valid? If the answer is yes, how do we know that it's valid? Isn't there a chance that someone could be perverting the teaching? Didn't the Buddha predict that his teaching will get corrupted by various personal agendas and will eventually diminish and disappear during the Dharma dying age?
  • edited February 2012
    @nigelart Who are these people you claim are "proudly" proclaiming they've never read a single one of the Buddha's sermons? I've never run into anyone like that, and I'd guess that no one else on this thread has, either, other than you. So it may be safe to say that we don't know what you're talking about.

But in the tradition I've studied in, the Buddha's teachings are presented in the tradition's own texts. In my observation, no one feels a need to read the original sermons. They have faith that the texts their teacher provides are based on the Buddha's teachings. It never occurred to me, for example, to study the Pali Canon to check up on my teacher's lineage to see if the 1000-year lineage was lying or misguided.
    @nigelart, you do not understand the diamond sutra.
    When did I claim that I understand the Diamond Sutra?
    Don't be disingenuous. You lecture us on the meaning of a part of the Diamond Sutra, than you say you never claimed to understand it. I guess that means we can disregard your earlier attempt at interpreting something you admit you make no claim to understanding. Thanks for the clarification.

Good luck with your little provocations and your delusions of superiority. Yeah, you're a real Buddhist all right. Get back to us when you discover humility.