Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

dreams

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
edited February 2012 in General Banter
Do you guys remember your dreams?

I used to lucid dream sometimes -- realize you're in a dream while it's going on.

Comments

• GuiGui Veteran
    ...like right now? :)
  • I barely ever remember my dreams. :/
  • Yes - sometimes - the ones you have just before you wake up can be significant - lucid dreaming is a good tool like meditation.
  • I had a lucid dream in which I knew I was dreaming and I was walking thru a carnival fun house. But it only lasted a moment before the whole dream melted into a new one.

It was strange and I felt a little mad and I couldn't control anything. I was just a watcher.
  • @weighted ...lucky you...I wish I couldn't dream...I have to take a fist full of benedryl to have a dreamless night.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I barely ever remember my dreams. :/
    Ditto.....
  • Nearly every morning I wake up with a dream memory, almost like a movie in real time and vivid imagery. Rarely are they lucid, but when they are I seem to fly around without wings or an aircraft, it is pretty cool.
  • ...like right now? :)

:bowdown:
  • ...like right now? :)

:bowdown:
    and when you wake up that is nirvana? I forgot to set my alarm clock
  • I share something...

there is something in me that doesn't sleep sometimes...I can't describe it but
    the best I can say it is just a very very subtle awareness....
    when normally we wake up...we feel like we are waking up...literally.
    all of a sudden that conscioussness and awareness comes back and darkness goes away.

when that subtle awareness is active during my sleep, I observed few times the waking up state. There is literally no waking up...Once chitta goes away another gets in and we call this waking up. It is very mechanical and It is pretty weird...The difference between sleeping and waking up disappeared. Only one thought replaced with another...so true
  • I would like to observe this, but my sleep is often a KO because of my medication. It sounds interesting though, the whole notion of consciousness and how it operates, what it is interests me a lot.
  • I would like to observe this, but my sleep is often a KO because of my medication. It sounds interesting though, the whole notion of consciousness and how it operates, what it is interests me a lot.
    it happened to me few times...so I don't even know how I managed to do that.
    I agree...consciousness is very interesting...its technology you know...

• Technology, how so? Can you elaborate? I do not mind if it is lenghty, I enjoy a good read about such a topic.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I do remember them and I also write it down or record myself. I really want to learn more about dreams. Dreams are something else. A Mystery!!!:0
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Cool discussion so far ^^ thanks for all the great posts guys :)
    ...like right now? :)
    Reminds me of the first four-line gatha I memorized

"All conditioned dharma are like
    dreams, illusions, bubbles, shadows,
    dew drops, a flash of lightning,
    contemplate them thus."

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Sorry to double post, I was slow on editing my last one...

...when that subtle awareness is active during my sleep, I observed few times the waking up state.
    @zen_world fascinating! Once I observed the falling-asleep action.

It was incredible, and I tried to recreate the experience many times to no avail.

[story mode]
    I decided to take a nap one day and set my alarm for 1 hour. I became aware of my body and a slight "paralysis" let's say. I was pretty sure I could move still, but I didn't want to mess up what was going on, so I just watched. I saw dark purple energy fields moving over my sightscape from right to left and back again... the thought occurred "am I watching myself enter REM / fall asleep?" -- then I was in a pre-dream state, where the "surroundings" were mostly empty, and I could still sense my body. I was soon blasted into a dream! I was sorta flying. then I went back to the pre-dream state, and flipped into another dream, this time in a park, looking at a mother holding a child. I tried to "zoom in" and their faces dissipated into interesting geometries and shapes. Back again to the "pre-dream" state for a brief moment, and I was again in a dream, that felt very very real, sitting in a parked car in the middle of an empty highway. I pulled it over to the side of the road. The car came to a smooth, effortless stop when I "hit" a wall. I woke up. 59 minutes had passed on my alarm clock.

Intrigued and bewildered, I tried to remember if it was something I ate or the conditions of how I slept.
    [/story mode]

No dice in experiencing this twice yet in a nap, but it was insightful into the deep and unfathomable nature of mind.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I share something...

there is something in me that doesn't sleep sometimes...I can't describe it but
    the best I can say it is just a very very subtle awareness....
    when normally we wake up...we feel like we are waking up...literally.
    all of a sudden that conscioussness and awareness comes back and darkness goes away.

when that subtle awareness is active during my sleep, I observed few times the waking up state. There is literally no waking up...Once chitta goes away another gets in and we call this waking up. It is very mechanical and It is pretty weird...The difference between sleeping and waking up disappeared. Only one thought replaced with another...so true
    Dig it. I know EXACTLY what you say.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Somewhere I read that scientist showed that parts of the brain could sleep while other parts are awake. That would be something to remember when you step in your car in the morning.

I think in long meditation there’s a lot of partial sleeping going on.
  • Why do you think monks can live long healthy lives with one meal a day, and 3-4 hours sleep a night? I would suggest that a well practiced nun or monk can meditate into states of consciousness that are so peaceful and relaxing that they are almost sleeping, but at the same time extremely aware and mindful.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I had a disconcerting episode a few weeks ago. Throughout my life I have had what I guess they call sleep paralysis. It seems to be almost the opposite of lucid dreaming because you're in many ways awake, but still somewhat trapped in a dream. Every time it has happened to me, I am able to look around and everything looks as it should... but there is always either a disembodied voice or pressure or sensation that should not be there. One time I was so positive I had been choked that I ran to the bathroom mirror...but I found no marks on my neck.

What made the other night so extreme was that it happened at least three times in a row. I fell asleep... opened my eyes... body wouldn't move... my hallucination this time was that something was trying to grab at my legs, I tried to kick with all of my might... tried to scream... finally succeeded and woke up... fell asleep again... repeat several more times. It's frustrating and terrifying. But hey, at least the hallucinations were rather mild this time (I've had much much worse). It really is a strange phenomenon.

But as a side note, yes, I have had lucid dreams as well. It always seems as though the knowledge of the dream seems to make them dissipate faster though, unfortunately. There has been a few times that I've been able to control my dream for a little while and that is pretty neat.
  • just had a dream that i threw up the whole time i the dream.

was great.
  • @zen_world - you can encourage the process by techniques used to bring on lucid dreaming when youre awake (i.e. you can prepare yourself for sleep while youre awake) - if you then manage to have a lucid dream, you can focus on preparing for being awake - by mastering these 2 states, you can play your subconscious against your conscious and a timelessness will reveal itself.... it is possible to achieve without consciousness altering substances though shamanic traditions use them as an introduction to the process - I wouldnt recommend attempting them without strict instructions though without substances is safe to try on your own...

Lucid dreaming is a useful tool linked with dream walking - the debate continues on whether you travel within or not.

@zombiegirl - if Pete Tosh is to be believed... shout "Bombaclot" in your mind and youre instantly released...
  • @zen_world - you can encourage the process by techniques used to bring on lucid dreaming when youre awake (i.e. you can prepare yourself for sleep while youre awake) - if you then manage to have a lucid dream, you can focus on preparing for being awake - by mastering these 2 states, you can play your subconscious against your conscious and a timelessness will reveal itself.... it is possible to achieve without consciousness altering substances though shamanic traditions use them as an introduction to the process - I wouldnt recommend attempting them without strict instructions though without substances is safe to try on your own...

Lucid dreaming is a useful tool linked with dream walking - the debate continues on whether you travel within or not.

@zombiegirl - if Pete Tosh is to be believed... shout "Bombaclot" in your mind and youre instantly released...
    thanks zero...I can do lucid dreaming, astral projection etc...but I do not...not anymore...
    fun and interesting but I discovered very different subtle states of mind that can pass beyond astral/dream realm...my practice is to bring light to the unconsciousness...observing subconsiousness is relativey easy for me, but observing the unconsciousness is difficult task....how do you observe unconsciouss phenomena, right? , but it is possible (i.e. edgar cayce I believe has natural ability to dive into unconsiousness) some stuff are really interesting...
  • I know what you mean - they're just tools...

I'm not sure it can be observed as to reach that level, I think that your observer will hav long evaporated - is the unconscious you speak of possibly the same as the timeless state? If it is then it is constant - I find that to experience that, one needs to let go of 'experience' and just 'be'... sorry - I didnt realise how hard this would be to put into words - if you know what I mean then you may feel that its beyond words... everytime I try to capture it with words, it's fixed and not what I am explaining as that is beyond explanation... woah... this is much harder than I thought.

If you get this point then perhaps we can just nod at eachother and smile...? that might be the purest way to express this understanding or ununderstanding (I'm doing it again!!!)..
  • @zero...
    there are different types of experiences where I lost the sense of time...

in samadhi - where you see clear light, your self identity is gone in utter brightness and there is no feeling of speace or time, it is only concentration - but this is not so liberating in my opinion..

nirvanic experience - here there is no clear light, in fact there is nothing whatsoever, it is only wisdom. This cannot be explained by words...it is very liberating...my favorite.

very subtle beigness - this beingness is very complete and full of satisfaction. It is no experience of anything. It is just being in the hearth and it is wonderful. also my favorite. Everything disappears, mind is gone like a wind...everything but your essence stays...it doesn't have the wisdom component...its only being without knowing.

boundless space - in this case, your mind is very subtle. It travels with infinite space, so basically you feel like you are not travelling at all, somehow you are everywhere filling up the all space. Time here is also lost but not completely...

unconsciousness- this gets very interesting sometimes. You dive like you dive into an ocean. You are on the surface with full awareness and you submit yourself to unconsciousness. But this takes a long time - one needs to pass a lot of mind states to arrive this phase...When you dive into unconsciousness, you blacked out for a while but somehow you are in control. You dive into it and you come back.
    It has every knowledge in it. You hold a question in your mind and then you dive into unconsciousness, you blacked out for couple of seconds-no being no time no space...its nothing - its like you recieved full anesthesia but it only lasts seconds, and when you come back you have the answer to your questions. And you can do it over and over and over in one session...awake, unconsciouss, awake, unconsciouss, like ten times in a minute...How and who holds the information when I am unconsciouss is unknown to me...This phase is complete mystery to me. Its just so difficult to get there, you need to be very patient...
  • Thanks for this - I havent categorised in these words... from my experience...

Samadhi - this is the easiest - I dont count this one

Nirvanic - this is the gateway to me - its a useful milestone.

Beigeness - I call this being 'connected' - my first experience of where I am in the order of it all.

Boundless space - this was a very profound moment... I interprested this as a combination of nirvanic and beigeness - thought it is not the sum of the two... for me, this was an awakening and formed the basis of the new chapter.

Unconsciousness - this is where it's AT!! you've expressed my meditative practice - I understand your 'control' point - its less control and more some unexpressable constant that I figure derives from boundless space phase - I get your patience point also and difficulty too - would you agree that the key is no patience and no difficulty? perhaps akin to taking off your clothes, then peeling your skin, then the flesh, then the bones, then the mind and then its unconscious?? no pain or gore ofcourse...

My progression to this final state started during sleep - it found me by accident - once I had experienced it, i called it "visiting the hall of records" - I'm not sure why I call it that as there is no hall and no records... it just came out like that - though I have no goal during meditation, this is inevitably where I end up - it is possible to extend the period of unconsciousness but I'm not sure how as a moment is very long down there and I also have fleeting moments - I fleet between unconsciouss and boundless space...

My latest thought on it is maybe this is close to death experience?
  • @zero

i send you a personal message....thanks
  • Had a strange dream last year

I was entering a kind of church or chapel. It was almost empty and pretty dark inside.
    As i looked on the ground, it was covered with sand and weeds.
    It started changing however, from all sides the ground was changing into stone; they appeared everywhere, pushing the ground and green aside and replacing them by tiles that pictured flowers. Made me think of a caleidoscope.

At the end of the room there was a kind of chalice in the ground laying flat on its side. The tiles came in from all sides, finaly covering also the chalice but picturing an image of it on the surface.

Beyond the chalice was an entrance to a second room, out of which a woman (nun?) came with a group of young girls. She had a necklace in her hands, and spoke to the girls about something like the more you do this (felt like a negative thing) the more pearls you earn.

That's when in my dream i started thinking, this is how belief was lost (looking back at the stone taking over the green and the girls being misled)

I entered the second room, like a parliament or something, which was radiant white. There was a crowd surrounding a man (Jesus?) Althoug it seemed like there was a party going on, i had a feeling he was going to be trialed. As i entered i saluted him.

After me another man came in, which i knew because i said a few words to him. He was congratulated by some others because of the "good thing" he had done for the community.

Then, in spite of the fact as i feel it he was going to die, the Jesus-man said something like "in this man you'll have to put your trust for the future". He started applauding for the stranger and the whole room joined him

end

the difference between the two rooms, the first one dark and being taken over by the stones and the second one light and full of joy was very strange
  • @ahbleza - with a little work, that dream could be a lovely short story...
  • Sometimes I have vivid dreams. And when I wake I think what can I learn from this dream.
  • Feels like a morsel just waiting to be devoured. =D
  • Thx Zero & Denkatsu
  • Many times in my life i had dreams when something is about to happen to realtives of mine and it really happened in nearest time, i warned em sometimes when i could, not telling em exactly whats up but just to be careful like for few days or something when it was something bad mostly thursday to friday night dreams they usually become real, sometimes when i have some dream repeating for few nights straight like about some very same person in it and we meet and chat that person appears close in my life real soon, even if he or she lives far away we meet somewhere soon in reality where i am, lately i have weird dreams i dont like that much because i cant understand, it im just observing something like movies or whatever but i dont see a tv i just see it happening but i dont sense me or my actions in the dream something like im re-watching some videocassettes from the old days previous night it was Bruce Lee movies all night, and the night before some skateboarding movies i miss skating ive done that for like 12 years but there were dreams earlier, where im doing it really in other countries and all that new places like taking part in it moving seeing it all, lately its strange no action at all i just see the video in front of my eyes but no me like i dont exist, i dont see a room or the tv box tho...