Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why did the Buddha advise householders not to frequent theatres?

edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone,

I was reading the Sigalovada Sutta where the Buddha provides advice to householders. One paragraph caught me by surprise. Can anyone shed some insight on what was meant? My question is, why are theatrical shows so bad? They can be good for developing one's mind and taste.

(c) "There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in frequenting theatrical shows. He is ever thinking:

(i) where is there dancing?
(ii) where is there singing?
(iii) where is there music?
(iv) where is there recitation?
(v) where is there playing with cymbals?
(vi) where is there pot-blowing?[4]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.nara.html#fn-4

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2012

Maybe this translation will help elucidate the meaning:
    "These are the six dangers inherent in habitual partying: You constantly seek, 'Where's the dancing? Where's the singing? Where's the music? Where are the stories? Where's the applause? Where's the drumming?'
    The danger, I think, is overindulgence in sensual pleasure that can lead to an obsession with, or addiction to, sensual pleasures and external sources of happiness/entertainment in particular.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    because in those days such distractions diverted care and attention - and maybe money - away from those a house-holder was responsible for.
    The Middle way teaches us, all things in moderation - including moderation.
    enjoying ones self is not taboo,
    frequenting - ie, doing these things frequently - is considered unskillful....
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    They distract the mind from practice. The Buddha says there that one then becomes attached to them and is always thinking about where the next show is. I don't know that its the actual show that is bad, often they can educate and enlighten. I think his point is that they lead to distraction.
  • That would be interesting to learn about what the life was like in those times for a householder? What were the occupations and labor and so forth? Just 100 years ago life was very different than today.
  • In those days, singing and dancing was very sensual. It was intended to entertain by arousing desire. I'm not sure I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that some of the "dancing girls" back then were prostitutes. Think of lap-dancing today. As for recitation, I can't imagine what that's referring to. Just remember that we're in a completely different culture and era. The word "theater" has a completely different meaning for us.
  • @so back then it was like going to clubs or keg parties?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I always translated it into today's age by thinking of it like any type of entertainment. TV, movies, video games, etc.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    One of my friends made an interesting point about watching too many films/t.v/theatre; it's not your own life, it's someone else's that you are being absorbed by, and that isn't always such a good thing. I think the point she was trying to make was that it isn't always healthy to use these things as an escape mechanism - got to keep your eye on what is going on in your own life rather than living it through the characters of a play, etc. Makes me think of those 3 little words: the middle way...
  • Not sure what it was like where the Buddha was but widely in the middle east, being in theatre / entertainment was considered a great shame on the family - people were disowned for being singers or dancers etc - it was a lot more sensual and also a beacon for opium, weed, gambling and the sex trade to name a few vices...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    What would buddha have thought of frats? Animal house?
  • So we may know there is an enemy within are minds?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Denkatsu... it's 'our' not 'are'....

We ARE men and women... (conjugation of the verb, 'be')

this is OUR forum... (definition, 'belonging to'....)

Just trying to help you differentiate... :)
    No, there is no enemy within our minds... everything is mind-wrought... so WE are the enemy OF our own minds.....