Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Whitney Houston dead at 48 years old

edited February 2012 in General Banter
Aw, I wish there was more info on how she died, but I think that this just happened 40 minutes ago. She was a talented singer and seemed like a beautiful person. RIP Whitney Houston.

http://www.edition.cnn.com/2012/02/11/showbiz/whitney-houston-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

^^Article

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    How sad. I have to wonder if she slipped back into drug use, or perhaps her drug and alcohol use simply ravaged her body beyond repair.

I hope her passing was at least a peaceful one, and her next rebirth a good one.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    While I assure you I am practising compassion, I practise no more for her - or Amy Whitehouse - than I do for the homeless, freezing vagrant addicted to meths, crack and alcohol, and who sleeps in doorways with nothing but a cardboard box for warmth, who is found in the morning frozen to death, covered in his own fecal matter and vomit.
    These people led rich, privileged luxurious lives, surrounded by an entourage some of which undoubtedly contributed indirectly to their addiction and uiltimate death.
    It happened to Michael Jackson, it happened to Amy Whitehouse and it happened now to Whitney.
    These people don't need our sympathy once they're gone. They need guidance, protection and rigid discipline while they're alive.
    These people subject themselves to the heady influences of weath, fame, and adulation, all of which serve to present an entirely false mode of living. It's artificial, it's tranasitory, it's addictive and ultimately, it can be deadly.
    Sad? Yes.
    Predictable? On evidence, definitely.
    Tragic? No.
    Tragic is living in a society that wilfully stands by, while the elderly cannot afford to pay food or heating bills with their meagre pensions, and are subjected to living conditions which fall below what is commonly accepted to be the poverty line, and the Governments of our countries do nothing to distribute assistance to people desperate for help on their own doorsteps, while they live in ways that, were we privvby to their personal lives,m would shock a black cat into being white.

That's tragedy.
    Whitney will be remembered for a number of mixed reasons.

The elderly, infirm and frail lady down the street, who was a nurse during WWII and who risked her life behind enemy lines to assist escaped prisoners flee to safety, at great risk to her own life - and who died of the cold and wasn't found for 4 weeks, won't be remembered at all.

Respect where respect is due, but let's put things into perspective.
    She was a junkie, alcoholic and subject to physical abuse at the hands of a vicious and sadistic husband.

Plenty of those in all our cities.
    The only difference being that she had money, and she sang.

Why would she be more deserving of such posthumous adulation, because of that?

RIP Whitney Huston.
    And all those, who follow you, whoever they may be.

Sorry guys, this kind of thing gets my goat, and I bristle at the seriously unbalanced injustice of it all.
  • Well said, so do I. I'm afraid that it's a sad indictment of the times we live in!
    edited February 2012
    federica - I guess opinions will vary. While she made many bad choices in her life, she was still a fellow human being. IMVHO, our compassion should not be reserved for only those who make what we feel are the "right" choices in their lives. Personally, I simply refuse to dole out my compassion based on comparisons of what others do in their lives.

But that's just me.
  • edited February 2012
    @federica While I agree that there should be no more hype over her death than the death of a homeless person, people will make a bigger deal out of it because they probably have a bigger connection to her than they would a person they have never even heard of. When a celebrity's life is all over the media, and you are constantly hearing about them all the time, you may feel like you know them.

I personally feel for everyone who dies (I don't necessarily feel BAD, unless I know that they were trying to finish something important to them when they died) because I wonder what they are experiencing at that moment. I'll usually think, "I hope you find peace".

I just posted this because I thought that some people may want to know. And like @BonsaiDoug said, everyone deserves compassion; even those who were rich and famous.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited February 2012

She was a junkie, alcoholic
    No, she was not a junkie, alcoholic, she suffered with alcoholism and drug addiction. There is a subtle but important difference here.

• @Tosh I'm curious, what is the difference?
  • Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I remember hearing that whitney houston was trying to come back into the spotlight.

The only thing I hate is that the media has to take a break from reporting important news to talk about a celebrity who has died. They don't even stop there, they drag all the horrible bad shit that whitney has gone through and then they add blips of micheal jackson in the mix. . .

They don't talk about the good and bad... just the bad.

The only people I feel bad for is her family who suffered because of her inability to control her addiction. I totally agree with federica above.

We should just move on and let this thread die. I'm sorry ittybittybat. . .but you shouldn't feel bad about someone dying. Feel bad for someone who died without learning how to live while they were alive.
  • ^^Sure, we can let it die. The news is kind of old anyway.

But I'll be honest, that's how I am. I feel bad when people die if they were trying to finish something important to them when they died. I don't feel bad for Whitney's death, I feel for her daughter and family who probably miss her terribly.

And I do agree that the news shouldn't have been talking about it all night (like CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News were), and when they did talk about it, they didn't need to just mention the bad. That's why I changed the channel, because the annoying, shallow-ness of it all kind of got on my nerves.
  • Oh I'm sorry girly, I didn't mean it like that.

It's just that tragedy is glorified on tv and this is why i don't watch it.

But I see what you mean, I feel like that too.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Bravo to Federica and Lady Alison.

One of the phenomenon that both irks and baffles me in our modern society is the spectacle of entertainment stars who made bad personal choice after bad personal choice, then making a spectacle of themselves on television interview shows, begging us for our sympathy and forgiveness...often while they are multimillionaires. Whitney Houston was a rich, spoiled singer who made her own choices...over and over again...while she hung around with other multimillionaires and world leaders. She snorted more dollars worth of cocaine than any one on this forum will earn in their lifetimes.

Is it too bad she died the way she did...not even 50 years of age? Yes, it's too bad. But I'll reserve my sympathy for people who struggle through life and hold themselves responsible for their choices. I'll reserve my sympathy for those who are struggling against cancers, for example, that mostly developed not through bad choices, but simply bad luck or genetics. Or the homeless that have sufficient mental problem that they can't improve their own lives and are spending the cold winter sleeping under bridges. Or the children who are physically and/or sexually abused because they are helpless. Or the millions who are actively trying, but can't find a job. Or those in Syria that are helpless victims of a well-armed military. Or...on and on.

I have seen people say on Buddhist forums, including this one, that Buddhism is about personal responsibility. Okay. I'll save my sympathy and empathy for those who demonstrate personal responsibility. Regrettably, that was not Whitney Houston. It's too bad. What a wasted talent.
    edited February 2012
    People are worth far more than the bad choices they've made in life. Yes, we reap what we sow. But that should not be an excuse for us to throw compassion out the window.

And unless I'm sadly mistaken, I'm under the impression that compassion is fundamental to every tradition of Buddhism. I hope I'm not wrong on that account.
  • @BonsaiDoug ...But now she is dead, what can we do with the dead, except honor their good deeds.

Compassion now moves to the living... her friends and family and those who loved her.
  • A person's worth is valued by their outpouring of goodness in this world.

"Every tree is known by the fruit that it produces. . . "

We honor her memory and her life and the fact, that it seemed like she was trying to get back on the horse. . . But compassion is not only a feeling but an action. What kind of compassion can she receive now that she is gone and departed from this world?

Compassionate words are kinds and necessary, Compassionate action goes further. . . so that is why I said that Compassion is moved to the family and friends of the dead.
    @BonsaiDoug ...But now she is dead, what can we do with the dead, except honor their good deeds.
    Agree. Honor their good. Which I personally feel does not include condemning her because of her addiction. Which, BTW, is a medical/psychological disease.
    Compassion now moves to the living... her friends and family and those who loved her.
    Again, agree. But certainly that "compassion" should not include degrading her because of her addictions.
  • I think the posters were degrading her "actions" not her person.

They also excersised little patience for a person who has lived out her drama in the public life. . .

the proverbial "pearls before swine" is an old one, but degrees of compassionate feelings move towards someone who is suffering from addiction without the support that a celebrity would have.

So the posters must be feeling varying degrees of compassion when it comes to the Diva.
    ..Compared to someone that is struggling with the same addiction but has been able to move above it into a healthier state in their life.

"Poor Whitney Houston." "Oh it's so sad." Boo hoo hoo.

Those, and other such lamentations have, in my personal view, nothing to do with compassion. They are simply empty words and emotions.

For me, compassion is when you actually sacrifice something for an unfortunate person.

Do you spend some hours each week working in a soup kitchen for the homeless? That requires a sacrifice of your time. That shows compassion.

Do you donate funds to various charities that help the homeless, or those who are ill, or those who are living in poverty, etc.? That requires a sacrifice of your money. That shows compassion.

When you are in the supermarket checking out, and you see those little donation slips for the hungry, do you donate $3, $5, or $10? That requires a sacrifice of your money. That shows compassion.

Do you spend time beyond your 40 hours a week to work with child protective services? That requires a sacrifice of your time. That shows compassion.

Do you visit those in prison or jail? That requires a sacrifice of your money. That shows compassion.

There's a huge difference between real compassion and faux compassion.

• I agree with @vinlyn. . .Practice your compassion where it is usefull.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    "Poor Whitney Houston." "Oh it's so sad." Boo hoo hoo.

Those, and other such lamentations have, in my personal view, nothing to do with compassion. They are simply empty words and emotions.

For me, compassion is when you actually sacrifice something for an unfortunate person.

Do you spend some hours each week working in a soup kitchen for the homeless? That requires a sacrifice of your time. That shows compassion.

Do you donate funds to various charities that help the homeless, or those who are ill, or those who are living in poverty, etc.? That requires a sacrifice of your money. That shows compassion.

When you are in the supermarket checking out, and you see those little donation slips for the hungry, do you donate $3, $5, or $10? That requires a sacrifice of your money. That shows compassion.

Do you spend time beyond your 40 hours a week to work with child protective services? That requires a sacrifice of your time. That shows compassion.

Do you visit those in prison or jail? That requires a sacrifice of your money. That shows compassion.

bravo
    So the posters must be feeling varying degrees of compassion when it comes to the Diva.
    ..Compared to someone that is struggling with the same addiction but has been able to move above it into a healthier state in their life.
    It appeared that for awhile she indeed was making progress in kicking her addiction. Many people feel it's an easy thing to do, but it's not. For people who have never fallen into that personal hell, it's sometimes easy to be judgmental. Perhaps I have a different slant on this, being a recovered (yes, recovered vs. recovering) drug addict.

Anyway, I think you and I are on the same page; just perhaps on different paragraphs. :)

Yes
    Yes.
    Yes.
    No. But the local VA Hospital. Does that count?
    Definitely agree.
  • @BonsaiDoug... yay! I'm so glad for you...:)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I was raised via conditional love and compassion. Frankly it doesn't help anyone overcome their problems. It only makes them feel worthless and unloved when they aren't able to meet expectations, reducing their will to overcome and succeed.

When we show compassion for those who are struggling with their own demons it helps them feel worthy and capable enough to move beyond their suffering.
    edited February 2012
    @BonsaiDoug... yay! I'm so glad for you...:)
    Given whatever time and money they have, I just assumed most (all?) Buddhists do similar things. No? Am I too naive?
  • I haven't battled addiction like you. . . My teens were just country parties, cow tipping, and booze when we could get it. . .

But I battled nicotine addiction for nearly a decade and have been clean since 2006...So I remember how hard that was to kick.

I still admire you...for being recovered.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    federica - I guess opinions will vary. While she made many bad choices in her life, she was still a fellow human being. IMVHO, our compassion should not be reserved for only those who make what we feel are the "right" choices in their lives. Personally, I simply refuse to dole out my compassion based on comparisons of what others do in their lives.
    I never said i didn't have compassion for her. in fact, that was the first thing I mentioned. I simply don't think that she should be elevated posthumously to someone especially tragic and worthy of being singled out for reverence, when you consider the appalling choices she made....
    @federica While I agree that there should be no more hype over her death than the death of a homeless person, people will make a bigger deal out of it because they probably have a bigger connection to her than they would a person they have never even heard of. When a celebrity's life is all over the media, and you are constantly hearing about them all the time, you may feel like you know them.....
    this is the big problem with being in the spotlight... so much so that when somebody comes out of it relatively unscathed, unfazed, and ;normal', it's actually more unusual and newsworthy.... Look at Daniel Ratcliffe... the articles I've read about how well-adjusted he is, how normal, how ordinary he is, in spite of his success..... like it's something unheard of....yet wehen we find out that someone is hitting skid row, much of the time it barely causes a ripple....

She was a junkie, alcoholic
    No, she was not a junkie, alcoholic, she suffered with alcoholism and drug addiction. There is a subtle but important difference here.

I fail to see it.
    if there is a difference, then that would apply to every single other person afflicted in the same way.....
    Taking drugs and drinking alcohol are choices.
    these are voluntary actions, pursued by people who initially go looking for a thrill, and are convinced they'll always be able to control it.

how wrong they are.....
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited February 2012

Maybe for you, but for others, they don't seem to have much choice in the matter. I certainly didn't. If I could've just chosen not to drink, I wouldn't have had to bother to drag my ass to A.A.; it was my last resort prior to suicide. I could've just chosen not to drink. Actually, choosing not to drink is easy, but actually not snapping and drinking was another matter.

From a Buddhist point of view, there is no such thing as an inherently existing choice (I think). Choices, like 'free will', will depend on conditions and causes. A.A. showed me how to create the causes and conditions for me to stop drinking; many of which were counter intuitive. I had to face and deal with the wreckage of my past, I was taught how to live without having to resort to alcohol when things got tough; I was taught how to live comfortably in my own skin without the booze, and lots of other stuff I don't want to bore you with.

But it was a lot more than just making a choice not to drink, because there were times when I had to drink and had no choice in the matter. Or at least that's how it felt like for me.

Maybe for you, but for others, they don't seem to have much choice in the matter. I certainly didn't. If I could've just chosen not to drink, I wouldn't have had to bother to drag my ass to A.A.; it was my last resort prior to suicide. I could've just chosen not to drink. Actually, choosing not to drink is easy, but actually not snapping and drinking was another matter.
    I'm sorry, and truly, I mean no disrespect, but I'm afraid I disagree.
    There is always a choice, and the choice is to either succumb to it or not.
    My husband's mother made her choice and died of alcoholism.
    His twin sister is doing the same.
    he refuses to go down the same route, whatever may befall him...
    whatever we do, in response to outside conditions is a choice.
    Whatever we do, to what our Mind perceives, is a choice.
    all is mind-wrought.
    It's up to us to say yes or no.
    From a Buddhist point of view, there is no such thing as an inherently existing choice (I think).
    you are incorrect....
    Choices, like 'free will', will depend on conditions and causes.
    Choices are made by judicious study of the 8FP. Right View and Right Intention, with Right Action and Right Effort are what govern our will to make the Right Choice.

Conditions and causes, do not bind us.
    Our perceptions, and volitional actions, do.
    A.A. showed me how to create the causes and conditions for me to stop drinking; many of which were counter intuitive. I had to face and deal with the wreckage of my past, I was taught how to live without having to resort to alcohol when things got tough; I was taught how to live comfortably in my own skin without the booze, and lots of other stuff I don't want to bore you with.
    These were the same options placed before Amy Whitehouse and Whitney Houston.
    They chose the alternative....
    But it was a lot more than just making a choice not to drink, because there were times when I had to drink and had no choice in the matter. Or at least that's how it felt like for me.
    Then you were either not given the correct options, or you didn't see their availability....
    But at one point, you made the right choice....
    See, here you are.....
    and I'm so glad for it.....
  • Alcoholism is classified by the World Health Organisation as a mental illness. No-one I know chose to be an alcoholic as a lifestyle choice. It just happens; kinda creeps up on you and before you know it, you can't stop drinking. Is it a simple matter for anyone with a mental illness to make a choice and just get better? "Pull yourself together and make the choice not to be depressed; choose happiness!!!" No, it's a bit more complex than that.

I think it was Shantideva who said that if someone hits you with a stick, it would be silly to blame the stick. Likewise we shouldn't blame the person wielding the stick, but we should blame the ignorance and delusion driving the person who holds the stick.

So in the same vein, blaming an addict/alcoholic for not making the 'choice' to stop drinking isn't right; it's their ignorance and delusion; their mental illness that makes them keep going.

For an alcoholic to stop drinking, causes and conditions have to be put in place. Look at Step 1 in A.A.'s 12 Step program. It begins with, 'We were powerless over alcohol...', this means powerless not only to stop drinking when we started, but powerless to avoid taking that first drink. That was certainly my experience. Yeh, I could stop drinking, but it was like Japanese water torture. I'd just get ground down to a point where I had to drink. I had no choice.

The rest of the Steps create the causes and conditions to enable an alcoholic stay sober.

If it were mere 'choice', I doubt there'd be the millions of alkies in A.A. there is. Do you really think any of us would do what a 12 Step program entails if we could just make the choice and stop drinking? Hell no! Making amends to people I'd harmed wasn't much fun, I promise!! Choices depend on causes and conditions. My experience shows this.

Why don't you choose to be Enlightened, right now? I bet you can't! Why? Because Enlightenment will depend on causes and conditions*. Everything depends on causes and conditions; there is no 'inherently existing' anything, as far as I'm aware, and this will include choices.

Feel free to disagree; everyone is entitled to an opinion; there'll be no hurt feelings here!

*Apologies if you already are, and thank you for reading my post! :p
  • edited February 2012
    I'm sorry, and truly, I mean no disrespect, but I'm afraid I disagree. There is always a choice, and the choice is to either succumb to it or not.
    non-sense

the sex & affection you long for is not a choice. it was born into your mind by nature

buddha called these latent pre-dispositions 'anusaya'

only arahants have free will & only arahants have infinite compassion

• From a Buddhist point of view, there is no such thing as an inherently existing choice (I think).
    you are incorrect....
    Choices, like 'free will', will depend on conditions and causes.
    Choices are made by judicious study of the 8FP. Right View and Right Intention, with Right Action and Right Effort are what govern our will to make the Right Choice.

Fed, just for interest; I'm really not bothered one way or t'other; but here you contradict yourself. First you infer that there is 'inherently existing choices', and then later you say choices are 'made by judicious study of the 8FP'.

But isn't the 'judicious study of the 8FP' creating the causes and conditions for better choices? And of course we have to have causes and conditions that allow us to study the 8FP in the first place.

Have I explained this clearly? I'm tired!

:D
  • Our celebrity culture worships excess and fame.
  • Alcoholism is classified by the World Health Organisation as a mental illness. No-one I know chose to be an alcoholic as a lifestyle choice. It just happens; kinda creeps up on you and before you know it, you can't stop drinking. Is it a simple matter for anyone with a mental illness to make a choice and just get better? "Pull yourself together and make the choice not to be depressed; choose happiness!!!" No, it's a bit more complex than that.

I agree with Tosh. No one can make a simple choice and quiet. If it was that easy, we wouldn't have pscyhologists, psychiatrists, spirtual leaders, counsellors and so forth. Recovery is a gradual process.

I agree with Tosh. No one can make a simple choice and quiet. If it was that easy, we wouldn't have pscyhologists, psychiatrists, spirtual leaders, counsellors and so forth. Recovery is a gradual process.

No one? Really?

My father started drinking when he went in the service during WWII. For the next 30-some years, he drank heavily. I am talking 1 quart of Black Velvet per day at home, and then most evenings he would go out to some of the local hangouts.

But, whenever he would change jobs or assignments, he would stop drinking cold turkey for a month or longer...depending on how soon he felt secure in his new position.

Then, in his mid-50s, he had a massive heart attack and stroke, from which he was told he would not recover. But he did...fully. And the doctor told him that it was very simple: "You drink, you die." He permanently stopped drinking for the remainder of his life. Cold turkey. No help sessions. He just stopped. He still went to the bars to see friends in the evenings, but he just had cokes. At the same time, he stopped smoking -- previously he smoked 3-4 packs per day. Again, cold turkey. No patch. No help sessions. When the doctor eventually told him...at around age 82...that he probably had another year to live (give or take...simple old age), he made a conscious decision to resume smoking, but not drinking, but he smoked less than half a pack per day.

• I am concerned with the word "illness" getting tossed around willy nilly. It almost excuses the person's behavior because the blame is placed on the "illness "...in this case, drug addiction.

But at some point a real choice was made to use drugs...and a real choice was made to stop.
    Who made that choice? Not the "illness."

Thanks for sharing that @vinlyn.
  • I hope that Bobbi (Whitney's daughter) and Whitney's mother are dealing well in this difficult time.

However, she's gone, it was news yesterday, and it's over.

Let's quit bickering about celebrities and addictions and let this thread die, shall we?
    I am concerned with the word "illness" getting tossed around willy nilly. It almost excuses the person's behavior because the blame is placed on the "illness "...in this case, drug addiction.

But at some point a real choice was made to use drugs...and a real choice was made to stop.
    Who made that choice? Not the "illness."

Thanks for sharing that @vinlyn.
    I agree.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about the closing scene from "Judgment At Nuremburg", where Spencer Tracy (the judge) visits Burt Lancaster (the German judge) in prison. Lancaster tries to make Tracy understand why he followed Hitler's orders, and he says that he never believed that it would all come to the millions of dead in the concentration camps, forced sterilizations, etc. But Tracy takes away the German judge's last shred of self-respect: "It came to that the very first time you made the very first sentence in that courtroom."

And so it is with drugs and alcohol. Each CHOICE builds on the last CHOICE.

• I didn't know her personally, some of you may have. And I surely am not as up on the tabloids as others on this thread. But until the family overcomes their grief and makes a statement regarding her passing, maybe we could just give it a rest.

Namaste
    I didn't know her personally, some of you may have. And I surely am not as up on the tabloids as others on this thread. But until the family overcomes their grief and makes a statement regarding her passing, maybe we could just give it a rest.

Namaste
    Bodha8, it's a legitimate thread, and I doubt her family is going to be reading this forum.

• It might be worth waiting till the results of the autopsy are in.
    edited February 2012
    While reports of prescription pills covering the bathroom and water being found in Ms Houston’s lungs have circulated heavily after she was found in hotel room number 434 Saturday afternoon, the Los Angeles coroner would not confirm or deny any of the rumours.
    Whatever the autopsy report, it would appear that it was self-induced. I personally rule out deliberate suicide.
    But it would appear that she threw caution to the wind, as ever....allegedly.
    Room 434, huh?
    The results won't be known for months, but the hotel is going to make a packet out of those wishing to occupy the same room she did... Trust me on this - someone , somewhere is rubbing their hands in glee at the profit they can squeezer out of this.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

No one? Really?

My father started drinking when he went in the service during WWII. For the next 30-some years, he drank heavily. I am talking 1 quart of Black Velvet per day at home, and then most evenings he would go out to some of the local hangouts.

But, whenever he would change jobs or assignments, he would stop drinking cold turkey for a month or longer...depending on how soon he felt secure in his new position.

Then, in his mid-50s, he had a massive heart attack and stroke, from which he was told he would not recover. But he did...fully. And the doctor told him that it was very simple: "You drink, you die." He permanently stopped drinking for the remainder of his life. Cold turkey. No help sessions. He just stopped. He still went to the bars to see friends in the evenings, but he just had cokes. At the same time, he stopped smoking -- previously he smoked 3-4 packs per day. Again, cold turkey. No patch. No help sessions. When the doctor eventually told him...at around age 82...that he probably had another year to live (give or take...simple old age), he made a conscious decision to resume smoking, but not drinking, but he smoked less than half a pack per day.

It sounds to me as though your father, while a drinker, was not an alcoholic. There is a difference between the two and not all drinkers are alcoholics. My father is an alcoholic and really could not quit until he lost everything. He filed for bankruptcy. He lost me because I refused to visit him any longer (I did give him the ultimatum, but he just laughed at me. Quite literally, actually). He lost his truck. He shattered his femur riding his bike and the doctor told him he had the bones of an 80 year old woman and that he must stop drinking. He didn't. It wasn't until he was so broke that he could no longer afford alcohol and started having withdrawal seizures (and laid face down in the snow for over an hour) that he finally admitted that he did have a problem.

I have seen where addiction can take people and I would never presume to know what it must be like. Between my father and those I have known with heroin addictions, I can honestly say that it makes people perform in ways that no normal person would. I don't think a non-addict can understand the mind of an addict.
  • Obsession, compulsion and denial are hallmarks of alcoholism and addiction ... after many years of being around 12 step groups, medicine, psychiatry, christian churches and Buddhism in many different capacities I still see alcoholism and drug addiction as a disease - it is a mental disorder which impacts on the mind - in AA I have heard it described as self will run riot.
    Blame is erroneous and proportioning it useless in my experience.
    A relative of mine, who died from alcohol and mixed drug toxicity used to lament ' if only I knew why I was like this".
    She was never able to take the first step of admitting that she was powerless over alcohol as no-one could answer her question to her satisfaction.
  • Forgive my ignorance but the inability to "control " substance abuse or being "powerless " against the objective of addiction is one thing. . .I sympathize, trully.

That doesn't make the problem a disease. What is the definition of disease?
    It did not always start as one.

I think substance abuse is a "symptom" of a much rooted problem...not a disease.

@vinlyn his father was an alcoholic, not a drinker.

Perhaps years ago, when he sought help, people had limited resources as we do now to quit. We don't know because we didn't live his life. We also don't now @zombiegirl and her life.

Imo, I see substance abuse as a symptom, or branch to something much, much, deeper. . . While we do have an abundancy of psychologists, self help books, internet forums,meds, and support groups...it was not always so.
    ...and you would think that with all the help for substance users, the "disease" would be cured...but it seems to me like they just want to "treat " it.
    Addiction is rooted in attachment and strong attachment can overwhelm what little morale discipline we have, Attachment is a deluded mind that believes happiness comes from Samsaric phenomena and clings to it strongly, By developing strong mindfulness we can overcome attachment and develop a strong basis for keeping morale discipline. People need compassion and help in training the mind especially addicts, scorn does not help others.
  • I agree that scorn is not the way.

The twelve step program does create an environment of openess and loving kindness.
    I agree that scorn is not the way.

The twelve step program does create an environment of openess and loving kindness.
    Yes they are very beneficial for people, Of course people would suffer less if they learnt how to control the mind in the first place.
    edited February 2012
    .....Of course people would suffer less if they learnt how to control the mind in the first place.
    QFT.
  • People who believe that they are in control of their minds are the most dangerous.