Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

where can i find buddha's teaching targeted to lay people?

edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I'm interested in attaining happiness in this life. I am not so much concerned about future life or nibbana.

Which suttas can I look at to increase my pleasure and satisfication in the current life? Can someone provide a list of suttas devoted to lay individuals?

Metta,

Comments

• Ask @Jason He posted some links recently to the Buddha's teachings for householders/lay followers.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I would also like some good suttas/links. :) Can you find that link for us Dakini?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Try here for starters.
    Try here for starters.
    Thank You!
  • I had a thread on this very topic almost a year ago.
    I had a thread on this very topic almost a year ago.
    Thanks!
  • Thanks Jason and Dakini . Much appreciated.

Yes, I do remember the suttas on wealth. Thank you for providing them. I was eager to learn more :)
  • Leon just found and posted a lecture by the Buddha on wealth. It's a good one.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I would look up the four noble truths.

Try getting a daily practice going.

Do you have any vipassana retreat centers near you?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Photobucket

Lotus born. The story is that everybody loved him as a boy. Then he was playing on a roof and he dislodged a stone which hit somebody on the head and killed them. Everybody was then against him and he learned from that that peoples thoughts were dependently originated.

I believe that even simply looking at his picture can remove obstacles: inner, outer, and secret.

(( the Tibetan tradition has other Buddha's than Shakyamuni. I just wanted to share the bounty and diversity. Smorgasboard!!))
  • Try here for starters.
    Thanks for this, @Jason.

And for the picture, @Jeffrey. :)
  • There really is something about that statue. I've always found it unusual (in a good and fascinating way).

Here's the mantra if anyone would like it:

Om a hung benzra guru pema siddhi hung