Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Chocolate Thread!

2»

Comments

• Chocolate fudge! And has anyone checked out the refrigerated dessert section at Whole Foods? They have a chocolate decadence cup that's to die for! Very rich. Guaranteed artery-clogger.
  • BTW, I love the regular Doctor Pepper but detest the diet for it's metallic tang caused by the artificial sweetener
  • What is dr.pepper? pepper flavored soda I meen what flavor is it rly?
    Cherry/rootbeer-ish?
  • It sounds nasty, but I had some chocolate with cayenne pepper in it, and it was awesome. Can't remember the brand. Moxie or something like that I think. Good stuff.
    I'm glad you mentioned this, lindt has a chili dark chocolate bar at Walmart...in the chocolate bar aisle...you know, the big ass one with expensive chocolate.
    I'm gonna try it tomorrow.
  • Thanx for bringing the topic back to Chocolate.

• Eating your chocolate mindfully, you could try to think of beaten children and of people living in slavery-like conditions.

Am I right that cocoa production is still not free from such abuse today?
    Isn’t it something to think about?

(I know I’m probably too serious about it; and it’s easy for me.
    I’m indifferent to the taste of chocolate. My life sucks. :( )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_in_cocoa_production

Surveys were conducted by the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on the prevalence of child labor in the cocoa industry, and the results were published in 2002.[3] They found 284,000 children working in hazardous conditions in West Africa.[3] The survey found 153,000 children applied pesticides without protective equipment, others picked pods and opened them to get the beans; 64% of the children were younger than 14 and 40% of the children were girls.[3] Children often began working at 6 am, worked 12-hour days and were beaten regularly.[3]

Efforts are under way to establish an industry-wide voluntary certification process for cocoa produced without the use of child labor.[27] However, these efforts are not yet complete, and there are currently only a few small independent firms claiming to produce chocolate without the use of child labor or human trafficking.
  • It's not just chocolate, it's your clothing, shoes, items in your home, and much of your food.

If you live in the us, chances as that 90 % of everything you own has been manufactured in another country...thank you for bringing it up. Why you decided to do so, I will never know but that's ok.

• Dr. Pepper tastes kinda like carbonated prune juice.
  • No
    Dr. Pepper tastes kinda like carbonated prune juice.
    Take that back! Lol...well, ya...and not healthy either.
  • Thanx for bringing the topic back to Chocolate.
    Are you kidding, when is it not ok to talk about chocolate?

• Are you kidding, when is it not ok to talk about chocolate?
    ??
    I was thanking you for bringing the topic back to chocolate. The thread had gone off-topic a little while.

zenff, there's fair labor chocolate these days. Health food stores and Whole Foods have a wide selection. Has anyone here tried any of those brands? I tried Newman's, and it was pretty good.