Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Scientific Proof of Reincarnation

jlljll Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    More research like Stevenson's should be done imo. Some of his cases have been called into question. It would be helpful if more studies could be done, then we could get a better understanding of what is going on with children who say they have memories from other lives.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    His reputation is very mixed (good summaries at Wikipedia), yet what he is studying is very interesting. Personally, it seems very anecdotal, which is why I think so many scientists are critical.
    Personally, it seems very anecdotal, which is why I think so many scientists are critical.
    Yes, that is also why I feel that a larger sampling size is important. A single story is an anecdote, 100's of stories is a scientific sampling where conclusions can be drawn.
  • @jll – you’re free to believe whatever you want! (So go to hell if what you’re thinking is not right!)

I am hardly swayed by people listing their credits in order to gain respectability – I could jot down all my qualifications and I would sound like a very respectable and believable individual! It doesn’t mean that someday I wont wake up and decide that I can make money from selling speculation.

It remains that reincarnation is not proved, despite numerous and extensive studies.

Humans find the notion of a final and ultimate death very hard to deal with.
  • Thak you, Jll !
    Personally, it seems very anecdotal, which is why I think so many scientists are critical.
    Yes, that is also why I feel that a larger sampling size is important. A single story is an anecdote, 100's of stories is a scientific sampling where conclusions can be drawn.
    Well, I would modify slightly and say that even hundreds of stories are only the point where you can begin to make some cautious conclusions. I try to keep in mind regarding this particular "research", of all the similar "research" that has been done that support the theory of "going to heaven" (my phrase) in near death experiences.

Humans find the notion of a final and ultimate death very hard to deal with.
    But aren't you also making a supposition of "ultimate death"?

I don't know what the reality is. Just playing devil's advocate.

Well, I would modify slightly and say that even hundreds of stories are only the point where you can begin to make some cautious conclusions. I try to keep in mind regarding this particular "research", of all the similar "research" that has been done that support the theory of "going to heaven" (my phrase) in near death experiences.

I agree. What I am trying to say is that 'scientific' studies done in areas like sociology or psychology are done in the manner of anecdotal surveys. They are done in a large enough sample size to enable patterns to emerge and certain conclusions to be drawn.

Even in that situation though an explanation of the mechanism for these memories probably won't arise. But it would open up the field for further research.

I agree. What I am trying to say is that 'scientific' studies done in areas like sociology or psychology are done in the manner of anecdotal surveys. They are done in a large enough sample size to enable patterns to emerge and certain conclusions to be drawn.

Even in that situation though an explanation of the mechanism for these memories probably won't arise. But it would open up the field for further research.
    Agreed.

• But aren't you also making a supposition of "ultimate death"?

Yes - everything is a supposition to some degree - this one for me is the closest to the facts that I see and understand before me - dont get me wrong, I am open to other possibilities (the OP here was not 'is this possible' but rather 'can you believe it')...

I am open to the fact that right now I may suddenly see what truly is and it will be completely different to everything I know - that said, I cant live and do stuff day to day as a human if that was my driver - instead, I take a fuzzy approach and deal with the best approximations that make factual sense to me.

So for me, I have not experienced anything that would lead me to suppose that there is an afterlife or a continuation of consciousness after death - I have seen death - I have never seen anyone come back from that - in that sense it is ultimate - I see people fear it deeply and make up stuff or believe stuff that makes them feel better - that is fine for them - it doesnt work for me - I accept that in all likelihood death is the end full stop.
  • jlljll Veteran
    I find it ironic that 2 non-scientists are trying decide
    whether a study done by a scientist is scientific or not.

Agreed.

But aren't you also making a supposition of "ultimate death"?

Yes - everything is a supposition to some degree - this one for me is the closest to the facts that I see and understand before me - dont get me wrong, I am open to other possibilities (the OP here was not 'is this possible' but rather 'can you believe it')...

I am open to the fact that right now I may suddenly see what truly is and it will be completely different to everything I know - that said, I cant live and do stuff day to day as a human if that was my driver - instead, I take a fuzzy approach and deal with the best approximations that make factual sense to me.

So for me, I have not experienced anything that would lead me to suppose that there is an afterlife or a continuation of consciousness after death - I have seen death - I have never seen anyone come back from that - in that sense it is ultimate - I see people fear it deeply and make up stuff or believe stuff that makes them feel better - that is fine for them - it doesnt work for me - I accept that in all likelihood death is the end full stop.
    I like your explanation.

Actually, I have 2 degrees in geology, specializing in paleontology.

I'm the peasant. In fact don't even ask me a dharma question, I'm not a buddha either.
  • jlljll Veteran
    I have a degree in biology, it does not make me a scientist.
  • Ian Stevenson again! LOL! :banghead:
    Those who want to believe in survival of a personality after death will likely ignore the weaknesses in Stevenson's methods and praise him for his meticulousness, his devotion to detail, his zeal to get every claim verified or disproved. For my part, I have to agree with Stevenson's own assessment of his work: he's provided evidence, but no compelling evidence for reincarnation. I see no way to move forward using his methods or his data, so I see his work as a colossal waste of time. On the positive side, however, I agree with him that past life regressive therapy, which uses hypnosis, is rife with methodological problems, not the least of which is the problem with suggestion contaminating any evidence that might be uncovered for a past life. Hence, past life regression cannot provide good evidence for reincarnation. Neither can collecting more stories from children who claim to have lived previous lives unless better methods of documentation, questioning witnesses and alleged experients, and verifying claims are developed.

http://www.skepdic.com/stevenson.html

I have a degree in biology, it does not make me a scientist.
    You're apparently not a monk, either, but you seem to comment on Buddhism.

• B5CB5C Veteran
  • I have a degree in biology, it does not make me a scientist.
    It kind of does!! well, maybe more of a scientist than not!! You just dont pursue a scientific career... to someone who hasnt studied biology at all, youre a scientist!
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm
    Can we believe any of this?
    Hmmm. If the comments above do not qualify, whom are you asking? Do you expect scientists who have researched reincarnation to visit this thread?

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm
    Can we believe any of this?
    Hmmm. If the comments above do not qualify, whom are you asking? Do you expect scientists who have researched reincarnation to visit this thread?

Kudos @possibilities!

;)
  • edited February 2012
    i'm scared of an ultimate death zero.

How do we deal with that? How can you live in peace knowing this is the ultimate? I'm depressed now :(

What about the Buddha - he did have a skeptical mind but somehow he "saw" an afterlife. how does one explain that?

Also: Consider this. Isn't it a mystery we were ever BORN? Why did we even get a conciousiness in the first place? Aren't we just a collection of atoms that merged together to create a consciousiness? What is there? There is no "I".
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    i'm scared of an ultimate death zero.

How do we deal with that? How can you live in peace knowing this is the ultimate? I'm depressed now :(

What about the Buddha - he did have a skeptical mind but somehow he "saw" an afterlife. how does one explain that?

Also: Consider this. Isn't it a mystery we were ever BORN? Why did we even get a conciousiness in the first place? Aren't we just a collection of atoms that merged together to create a consciousiness? What is there? There is no "I".

How about accepting it? You know you have only ONE life and it maybe short or long. It's best to be compassionate and good in that small life we have. It's a lot better than believing in some sort of afterlife. Which I believes that pushed people to do little or the basic because they believe they get an extra life.
  • I haven't experienced it myself but I place faith in the Buddha. Not blind faith - because I have seen how some of his other teachings benefit the modern world. Mindfulness is a key example. Also, science has proven some of his teachings to be relevant. Example, mater is empty. Everything is made of something.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    I haven't experienced it myself but I place faith in the Buddha. Not blind faith - because I have seen how some of his other teachings benefit the modern world. Mindfulness is a key example. Also, science has proven some of his teachings to be relevant. Example, mater is empty. Everything is made of something.
    Umm sorry to nitpick. Mater is not empty.

It's the Tibetan tradition that seems to have a strong emphasis on literal rebirth. They also have bowls made from skulls and horns made from femur bones. There is a lot of teaching on death.

So I don't feel that a belief in rebirth has to mean one doesn't take life seriously. Certainly that can happen though.

The other side of the coin is that belief in an 'ultimate death' (I like that term) can make someone feel like they get out of karma free card so they can do whatever they want without ultimate consequence.

My own view of rebirth is that everything that we consider as being ourselves dies with the body. All our memories, all our possessions, all our family and freinds. The only thing that carries over is the karmic potential. So I suppose there would be some carry over in that if someone cultivates a karmic habit for generosity then there would be lots of potential for one to be a generous person in the next life.

I don't know how, looking at my own mind, it would be possible to achieve complete liberation from my defilements without more than one go at it. Why did the Buddha put such an emphasis on liberation if only 500 people accomplished that at the expense of any kind of life during his time?
  • B5CB5C Veteran

The other side of the coin is that belief in an 'ultimate death' (I like that term) can make someone feel like they get out of karma free card so they can do whatever they want without ultimate consequence.
    I fully disagree. There is an karma, but not the karma you may think. What ever we do bad things in life. Bad things can happen to you in the same life because it's the consequences that you did.

I haven't experienced it myself but I place faith in the Buddha. Not blind faith - because I have seen how some of his other teachings benefit the modern world. Mindfulness is a key example. Also, science has proven some of his teachings to be relevant. Example, mater is empty. Everything is made of something.
    Umm sorry to nitpick. Mater is not empty.

Its important to understand emptiness in this context. Matter being empty doesn't mean empty like a cup being empty. It means that its empty of inherent existence. Meaning it depends upon multiple factors for its existence.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

Its important to understand emptiness in this context. Matter being empty doesn't mean empty like a cup being empty. It means that its empty of inherent existence. Meaning it depends upon multiple factors for its existence.
    I really don't want to go off topic. Do you view energy as empty?
  • B5C,

Even if we were only to consider the present life - there wouldn't be complete equilibrium. Some people live selfishley yet endure hardship. Others seems to enjoy their lives. The only way for an equilibrium to be established is to have multiple lives.

I will admit though that sometimes you do have karma operating in the current life. Example, study hard adn get good marks.
    edited February 2012

I fully disagree. There is an karma, but not the karma you may think. What ever we do bad things in life. Bad things can happen to you in the same life because it's the consequences that you did.

Like people who get away with stealing and taking advantage of people but live a life of luxury with a beautiful girlfreind?

If you can say that a person who believes in rebirth does so to give themselves comfort then I can say that a person who believes in an ultimate death does so to believe they can avoid the consequences of their actions.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited February 2012
    B5C,

Even if we were only to consider the present life - there wouldn't be complete equilibrium. Some people live selfishley yet endure hardship. Others seems to enjoy their lives. The only way for an equilibrium to be established is to have multiple lives.

Do you have PROOF? That is the problem. There is no evidence of rebirth. What you are believing is though faith alone.

Personally, I do not want to live my life through faith because it makes you feel good.

I really don't want to go off topic. Do you view energy as empty?
    Yes. How can we talk about energy without the effect it has on something, thus an interdepent relationship.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

Like people who get away with stealing and taking advantage of people but live a life of luxury with a beautiful girlfreind?
    Does that stuff happen? Yes it does. That is part of life.

Lets try this idea: What if you meet a woman who was abused in childhood and was rapped as in an adult? Is she being punished because she has done in her past life? If so, why do you want to believe bad stuff happen to people because they deserve it on themselves.

I believe that belief in those ideals is horrible.

Life is unfair because it IS unfair. That is something that we must accept. The idea to force people to do things because you tell them to fear the unknown or there are consequences in an afterlife is wrong.

If you can say that a person who believes in rebirth does so to give themselves comfort then I can say that a person who believes in an ultimate death does so to believe they can avoid the consequences of their actions.
    The unfairness of life is an consequence of our actions.

"The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more."

―The Portable Atheist, Christopher Hitchens

I am with Carl Sagan:
    “I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But as much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.”
    ― Carl Sagan, Billions and Billions

Lets try this idea: What if you meet a woman who was abused in childhood and was rapped as in an adult? Is she being punished because she has done in her past life? If so, why do you want to believe bad stuff happen to people because they deserve it on themselves.

Deserve is a value judgement that I don't place on it. Like I don't place a value judgement on a billiard ball getting knocked around by a cue ball. Its just cause and effect.
    The unfairness of life is an consequence of our actions.
    What action does a 2 year old have that leads them to be beaten or have autism?
    "The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more."

―The Portable Atheist, Christopher Hitchens

I am with Carl Sagan:
    “I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But as much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.”
    ― Carl Sagan, Billions and Billions
    I'm fine with that. What I don't care for is the attitude that belittles my position as if I haven't given it any consideration. I gravitated towards Buddhism because it allows one to think for oneself and doesn't demand that someone adopt a position based on blind faith. I consider my position to be faith based upon reason and experience.
    Also, I don't see why rebirth makes one see her as being punished. Someone who doesn't believe in rebirth could just as easily say its her fault (karma) for putting herself in a position to be raped.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

Also, I don't see why rebirth makes one see her as being punished. Someone who doesn't believe in rebirth could just as easily say its her fault (karma) for putting herself in a position to be raped.
    Which is also a horrible way to think of things.

I believe that belief in those ideals is horrible.

Life is unfair because it IS unfair. That is something that we must accept. The idea to force people to do things because you tell them to fear the unknown or there are consequences in an afterlife is wrong.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the example you described above is probably the predominant viewpoint of karma in the very Buddhist nation of Thailand.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the example you described above is probably the predominant viewpoint of karma in the very Buddhist nation of Thailand.
    Yeah, I've run into this view amongst Tibetans as well. It's not a proper view though. If someone was drowning in a lake one could say its their karma and let them drown. However if you were to save them then that would also be their karma so karma isn't fate.

A theist could also say to someone drowning that its simply God's will. I imagine that is also a wrong understanding.
    @person...again, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but, how do we know that we're the "correct Budhists" and they're the "incorrect Buddhists"?
    @person...again, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but, how do we know that we're the "correct Budhists" and they're the "incorrect Buddhists"?
    I guess until we reach enlightenment we %100 can't. I'm just going off of what is taught.
    Fair enough, but it is clearly not what they are being taught.

The most obvious example that has been brought up to me, over there, is that those people with handicaps are suffering from karma from a previous existence. And this was specifically targeted to me because I have a cleft lip and palate.

• i'm scared of an ultimate death zero.
    How do we deal with that?
    How can you live in peace knowing this is the ultimate?
    Its ok - your body is programmed to challenge death - to survive! Scared is natural - its ok to be scared.

Each person deals with it however is best for them - if you have a way that helps then wonderful - nurture it and share it - if you find something that helps more then nurture that more and share - by nurturing and sharing and pondering you will eventually reach a place where you have 'dealt' with it - that place for me is 'ultimate death'!!

Peace, compassion, love - all pleasantness of life and brotherhood is not dependent on anything after death! Why think of your meal to be served in a tomorrow that you may never wake to when your plate is filled before you now?? Tuck in to life and eat your fill!!

The beauty of free choice is that you can choose to live it moment to moment at any moment totally independent of reason.
    Likely they aren't being taught any actual dharma, Buddhism is the default religion so one can be a Buddhist without any actual understanding. My understanding is that Thai's also believe in lucky charms as a part of their Buddhism, that certainly isn't a dharma teaching.
    The most obvious example that has been brought up to me, over there, is that those people with handicaps are suffering from karma from a previous existence. And this was specifically targeted to me because I have a cleft lip and palate.
    Yes, that view is an easy way to judge and remove compassion towards others. People suffer from poor choices whether the karma is from a previous life or this one is irrelevent regarding our attitude towards that suffering. Karma isn't inherently a judgement but it is certainly easy to use it as one.
  • I find it ironic that 2 non-scientists are trying decide

Schooled!
  • Wow...I find more compassion in a forum of atheist, agnostics, and Buddhists than in a coffee shop full of Christian and Muslims. You guys are awesome! Good thread!
    Likely they aren't being taught any actual dharma, Buddhism is the default religion so one can be a Buddhist without any actual understanding. My understanding is that Thai's also believe in lucky charms as a part of their Buddhism, that certainly isn't a dharma teaching.
    Well, not sure that's correct. Yes, it is the default religion. But if you visit any primary, middle, or high school, the schools are almost all connected to a temple, and there are regular lessons (it's either daily or multiple times per week) taught by the monks.

The "lucky charm" thing, as you call it, primarily revolves around the amulets that most Thai men and many Thai women wear around their necks. Many, like the one I have, are of a small Buddha figure, while some are famous monks, etc. Many do believe that there is sense of magic in the amulets, and it's quite fun to go to some of the temples that are quite famous for this, and watch some Thais poring over the amulets to find just the right one with the right "power". However, everywhere I have seen that, it's been independent people selling the amulets. Some temples do have Buddhist amulets for sale directly through the temple, but they are not -- as far as I have seen -- attributed to have any special powers. It's all quite fascinating. And I should mention, that many Thais see a Buddhist amulet around the neck as I see it...something to sometimes focus on during mediation, which is very appropriate.

Yes, that view is an easy way to judge and remove compassion towards others. People suffer from poor choices whether the karma is from a previous life or this one is irrelevent regarding our attitude towards that suffering. Karma isn't inherently a judgement but it is certainly easy to use it as one.
    Well, sort of, although such people are also seen as one's that should be given donations to, etc. Although part of that is "earning karmic merit". I'm, probably going to step on some toes here, but the idea that you can give karmic merit to another person is...to me...weird. But I have seen it right on this forum.

but the idea that you can give karmic merit to another person is...to me...weird.
    Yeah, I've heard of this before. A related thing is like long life prayers for HHDL. It seems like if the intent is actually extend his life idk how that would work.