Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quiz Time - The Five Aggregates

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited April 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I was taking the time to read through all the posts regarding anatta - and it got me thinking...

How many people know of the Five Aggregates?

What are they?

Why did Buddha teach about them?

I thought a thread like this might get people - possibly people new to Buddhism - looking at something more than the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path.

There will be a test on Friday. Newbuddhist logon memberships are on the line!

-bf

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Brilliant idea. I'll just go swot....

Back on Friday - !!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    BF,

You really should think about teaching. You're ideas are really, really good.

O.K. The Five Aggravates. Oh, that's easy! ....Wait...What? ....Aggregates?......Oh. O.K.

Are there any prizes? Like NewBuddhist gear?

See you on Friday!

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Great idea for the Buddhism 101 forum!
    Who wants to start (don't worry, I'm not here to debate lol)?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Gear?

Sure!

I have some old underwear with a stain in the back that kind of looks like the newbuddhist logo.

I hope you win them!

-bf
    edited April 2006
    Great idea for the Buddhism 101 forum!
    Who wants to start (don't worry, I'm not here to debate lol)?

I was hoping everyone (that needs to) would do some digging around and thinking about them before posting the answers.

Glad you're here!

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    So, no posting until Friday, right? I need time to research.

And thanks for the offer of the skid marked shorts, BF, but I'll pass. :rolleyesc

Brigid
    edited April 2006
    Actually, I was kidding about Friday - but that might be a good idea. I was mostly hoping that a thread like this would get people digging into things a little more.

But, I wasn't kidding about the undies...

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    LOL!!

O.K. How about giving us until tomorrow?

Please, sir?
    edited April 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    LOL!!

O.K. How about giving us until tomorrow?

Please, sir?

Let's stick with Friday for this one. Friday was an excellent idea that I didn't come up with... realistically speaking. Plus, it gives all of our members in Europe an eight hour head start on trying to get it right ;)

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    What the...!!!

Why are you shouting?

O.K. Friday it is.

Quit yelling.
    edited April 2006
    Actually... I was just doing that to catch everyone's eyes - because of my lack of information.

Plus, I thought I'd look like a "big man" making those letters really big and stuff :)

-bf
    edited April 2006
    Brigid wrote:

Quit yelling.

I mean...

"yes, dear."

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Is it Friday yet? Oh well, here goes anyway...

The five aggregates (skandhas, which means "heaps") were indeed taught by the Buddha. These teachings are found in the Abhidharma (or Abhidamma if you prefer), one of the three "baskets" of the Tripitaka (Tipitaka).

The five aggregates are what make us up as an individual in this life. There are four mental aggregates beginning with consciousness, which gives rise to the feeling, perception and mental formation aggregates. The fifth aggregate is the physical one, i.e., the body, which is generated by karma, consciousness, temperature and nutriment. These five aggregates arise spontaneously at conception and disappear spontaneously at death. There is nothing permanent about them. They are just transitory phenomena, so nothing to cling to.

All five aggregates are brought into play whenever we experience a perception. In other words, the five aggregates are our field of experience.

I could go on, but it's only Tuesday...

Palzang
  • edited April 2006
    Interesting post, Palzang. Honestly I've never heard them listed in the order you did, always backwards from that. I'll have to take some time to think about it from that perspective. The way I am familiar with is as follows: Form (body/appearance/structure), feeling, perception, mental formations, and finally consciousness. They appear in this order seemingly as an ascending hierarchy of abstraction or refinement, starting with the most basic (yet how amazingly complex!) the physical body as a substrate for experience in the world, the "instrument" by which we have feelings, which are relatively crude, raw incoming data, perception as the formation of the mental counterpart of the feeling (more and more refinement of the raw materials of experience), mental formations as the activities of the mind in arranging the perceptions into a network of associations, where the raw materials have now become something of a coherent whole we call "experiences," and finally, consciousness which is like the final inspector on a production line, or if you will the connoisseur at the art gallery, the witness of the product of all this work. To go backwards in this process might describe the way in which we, in ignorance, ensure future becoming in the round of samsara?

Also, the five aggregates system is thankfully for beginners very much extant in the sutta pitaka as well, and probably an older formula than would have originated in the Abhidhamma.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2006
    All,

Study material:

Khandha Vagga: SN XXII-XXXIV

Happy hunting!

:)

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Here's an interesting interpretation of the Five Skandhas I found on Tibetanlama.com:
    The Five Skandhas

The Buddhist doctrine of egolessness seems to be a bit confusing to people. I think this is because there is some confusion as to what is meant by ego. Ego, in the Buddhist sense, is quite different from the Freudian ego. The Buddhist ego is a collection of mental events classified into five categories, called Skandhas, loosely translated as bundles, or heaps.

If we were to borrow a western expression, we could say that "in the beginning" things were going along quite well. At some point, however, there was a loss of confidence in the way things were going. There was a kind of primordial panic which produced confusion about what was happening. Rather than acknowledging this loss of confidence, there was an identification with the panic and confusion. Ego began to form. This is known as the first skandha, the skandha of form.

After the identification with confusion, ego begins to explore how it feels about the formation of this experience. If we like the experience, we try to draw it in. If we dislike it, we try to push it away, or destroy it. If we feel neutral about it, we just ignore it. The way we feel about the experience is called the skandha of form; what we try to do about it is known as the skandha of impulse/perception.

The next stage is to try to identify, or label the experience. If we can put it into a category, we can manipulate it better. Then we would have a whole bag of tricks to use on it. This is the skandha of concept. The final step in the birth of ego, is called the skandha of consciousness. Ego begins to churn thoughts and emotions around and around. This makes ego feel solid and real. The churning around and around is called samsara literally, to whirl about. The way ego feels about its situation (skandha of feeling) determines which of the six realms of existence it creates for itself.
    But I'm still completely lost.

I'll keep looking.

Brigid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Let's stick with Friday for this one. Friday was an excellent idea that I didn't come up with... realistically speaking. Plus, it gives all of our members in Europe an eight hour head start on trying to get it right ;)

-bf

THANK YOU.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    hee hee, I've succeeded in subverting the powers-that-be once again! Nyah-ha-ha! :rarr:

Pzang-po
    edited April 2006
    Tsk, Tsk, Tsk....Palzang, Palzang, Palzang......:nonono: :grumble:

Always the rebel......:rolleyesc

Stand in the corner.

Until Friday.
    edited April 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Here's an interesting interpretation of the Five Skandhas I found on Tibetanlama.com:

But I'm still completely lost.

I'll keep looking.

Brigid

Brigid dear...

Maybe check this simple page out: http://buddhism.about.com/cs/meditation/a/Aggregates.htm

And read the portion on "No Permanent Self".

I'll be waiting for your enlightening post on Friday!

-bf
    edited April 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Is it Friday yet? Oh well, here goes anyway...

I could go on, but it's only Tuesday...

Palzang

He's like our resident Hermoine Granger :)

-bf
    edited April 2006
    Or Germaine Greer...!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    BF,

Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out. Oh, wait... I've already read this one. Well, I'll read it again. I'm also checking out the skandhas as described by Chogyam Trungpa in the intro to the Tibetan Book of The Dead and other sources.

I'm glad to have this thread because even though I feel pretty dense when it comes to this subject at least it's good humility practice and you never know, I might learn something!

Brigid
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Is it Friday yet?

:skeptical

_/\_
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    He's like our resident Hermoine Granger :)

-bf

Who?! :scratch:

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    not1not2 wrote:
    Is it Friday yet?

:skeptical

_/\_

On Mars, I think it is. :-/

Palzang

• edited April 2006
    No fair, Palzang. You are a monk and probably knew those off the top of your head! :)
  • edited April 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Gear?

Sure!

I have some old underwear with a stain in the back that kind of looks like the newbuddhist logo.

I hope you win them!

-bf

You are sick.

Seriously, what's wrong with you?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Palzang wrote:

Who?! :scratch:

Palzang

Hermione Granger is the brilliant girl in the Harry Potter books. She's the one with all the answers.

Brigid
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    No fair, Palzang. You are a monk and probably knew those off the top of your head! :)

No, really! They're tatooed on the back of my hand!

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Hermione Granger is the brilliant girl in the Harry Potter books. She's the one with all the answers.

Brigid

Ah, no wonder I didn't know!

Palzang
  • edited April 2006
    Once again, I couldn't help myself!

Sorry Palzang ! :buck:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    OMG!!

LMAO!!

Priceless!! Too funny, Frizz!!

I can't believe you did that!!

But did anyone else notice how they actually do look alike?
    It's spooky!!

Respectfully,
    Brigid
    edited April 2006
    I just find it scary that it seems to fit so well.....

Palzang... If there's anything you'd like to tell us, we're a pretty understanding bunch.....:tonguec:
  • edited April 2006
    Thank you, thank you, you've all been very kind.
    I'm here all week !
    edited April 2006
    OK.... Well... It's three minutes past midnight on thursday, here - so it's officially friday...
    I can now post the link I found, which i feel is adequately simple and quite informative....

See what you think..... :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    FEDE!!!

NICE one!!

Now THIS I can understand.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Likewise, it explains it all beautifully.
    edited April 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Thank you, thank you, you've all been very kind.
    I'm here all week !

Ditto..... :D:crazy:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Well, I think she looks much nicer with glasses!

Palzang :rolleyes:
    edited April 2006
    As a glasses-wearer myself, I entirely agree, of course............:tongue2: ;)
  • edited April 2006
    I use my glasses to give an illusion of intelligence.
    It doesn't work though! :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Well, I think she looks much nicer with glasses!

Palzang :rolleyes:

LOL!!!

Brigid
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    And this was such a fine thread... Alas, I remember her well! :bawling:

Palzang
  • edited April 2006
    OMG...LOL Frizzer! What a riot. You are too much with your photo editing skills. And what do you mean about your glasses not making you look more intelligent? Look at your avatar...you look so intelligent in that picture. Maybe it's the hat.
  • edited April 2006
    It's definately the hat!

I should apologise to BF for perverting the course of his thread !
    edited April 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    You are sick.

Seriously, what's wrong with you?

I didn't say they were mine.

And I didn't say what the stain was.

I know just the game for you, Yoda. My girlfriend bought it for a party we had. It's called Dirty Minds and would fit you perfect. Unfortunately... there is nothing dirty about it.

Here is one of the sets of questions:

1) It's a four letter word.
    2) It ends in "unt."
    3) It describes a woman.

Can you guess the word?

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Aunt.
    edited April 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    It's definately the hat!

I should apologise to BF for perverting the course of his thread !

I should think so too...! BF would never do that! :grin:

So these five aggregates then, are 'things' we should all be mindful of? Is this not something that is already part of our consciousness? The fact that we are all simply a sum of parts?
    I am no less 'me' if I have an arm removed... it is not 'who' I am... This is something I seem to have known for a long time...

not one part solely "in charge" but a self that is separate and intangible, yet as relevant and pertinent and mutually supportive....

I'm beginning to make sense....
    This is dangerous! :lol:
    edited April 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Aunt.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Excellent.

You are a Puritan, dear :)

-bf