Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you think Buddha looks like?

13»

Comments

• SileSile Veteran
    I don't think the image matters much either way; I think it's more that the contradiction with scripture is a little awkward, and makes one wonder what other contradictions have been accepted.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

One thing I have noticed here in Thailand which kind of ties into my thread about Thai Buddhists is that they are for the most part quite knowl edged about monks. They know acclaimed monks from name to name, my pendant I have which I wear has a monk on it like all of them, I have no clue which monk it is but many times I have had Thais ask me if they could have a look whilst in conversation, and then they say 'oh that is a good monk'. Kind of seems like collecting pokemon lol. But one thing I would like to point out, why is the Thai buddha so thin, sometimes stupidly thin and the other common form fat?

Yes, very true. In fact, it can be quite "cultish", even with Thai magazines about a particular monk.

In fact, one of my most embarrassing moments in Thailand happened because of just that. I am gay, but fairly early on in my almost-annual trips to Thailand, a Thai friend here in the States had set me up with a Thai friend of his who lived in Issan, but had gone to teachers college in Bangkok. So the fellow came into Bangkok for a few days to help me sight-see. He was a nice enough fellow, though quite feminine and flamboyant, to the point that people would stare at him. But, ah well. To each his own. We were walking down in the old part of the city, and a monk (older, though not elderly) was coming from the opposite direction. Suddenly the fellow fell to the sidewalk, prostrate to the monk. I've never seen such a thing in all my time in Thailand. Everyone stopped to look at the fellow. Finally the monk reached down to indicate he should get up. The monk spoke English quite well. Turns out that he was a fairly celebrated abbot, and that his temple was over in Thonburi. He tried to convince me to come and be ordained the following summer, and that he would arrange for a Thai family to "adopt me" for the duration (you know, donate the robes and other materials, and bring food to me every day).

• Hi ThailandTom:
    My question is this, does it even matter? Maybe the guy has 3 arms or a dent in his forhead. I don't see why it matters personally... Unless ancient aliens are involved and then it is a very important matter.
    Must... not.... post... amusing... meme...
  • My question is this, does it even matter? Maybe the guy has 3 arms or a dent in his forhead. I don't see why it matters personally... Unless ancient aliens are involved and then it is a very important matter.

Well, I am not saying it's aliens ... but it's aliens.
  • That is quite an interesting story @vinyln. My girlfriend comes from Issan, a settlement outside of Surin, it is a hamlet I would say. But yes I was walking down stairs a few nights ago and 2 Thai guys I know were looking at object with those magnifying things that you look at diamonds with, I went over and realised they were monk amulets. That is how it is here. I met a guy on a train once going to Bangkok for a heart checkup, he had had a tripple heart bypass and showed me the scar. He had a chain around his neck with maybe 9 of these amulets.
    Ah yes, the amulets. I have one...not "antique", jade, actually bought in Burma. I don't see it (or any of them) as magic. But I find that if I get upset I can just touch it and focus my thinking a bit. Just a technique to focus and do a short meditation.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    ThailandTom:
    They know acclaimed monks from name to name, my pendant I have which I wear has a monk on it like all of them, I have no clue which monk it is but many times I have had Thais ask me if they could have a look whilst in conversation, and then they say 'oh that is a good monk'. Kind of seems like collecting pokemon lol.
  • Mine is of that kind of sandstone carved into a monk with inscriptions and then protected neatly in a triangled shape casing. I cannot be bothered to take a photo lol. I wear it because it reminds me of certain teachings some times, also because it can be a point of a conversation with Thais and also my GF gave it to me so... You should show up a pic of yours vinlyn, I am curious.
    Mine is Buddha...up on a high pedestal.
  • Never mind. I assume your kidneys are functioning.

The molecules from Buddha would have to be excreted then! It probably does not matter. The essence could still be there.

• footiam said:

Never mind. I assume your kidneys are functioning.

The molecules from Buddha would have to be excreted then! It probably does not matter. The essence could still be there.

Seriously what has this thread turned into. If one were to read the title and then what it has come to in discussion, I am sure an eyebrow would be raised.
  • It does not matter so much what this thread turns into. The question is 'What Buddhism has turns into?"
  • The question of what at most is a heap of relics applies to what Shakyamuni looks like. However Buddha clearly means much more for many people. People look in a mirror and see bones with flesh, animated for a short while. Some see a potential Buddha, some an actual Buddha. Maybe the Buddha never looked like anything based on his projection but based it on others.
    Maybe he really was an incarnation of Vishnu as the Hindus believe . . .
    Sile
  • He looks like Jesus.
  • No.He looks like a piece of turd.
  • zither said:

He looks like Jesus.

He may look like him but is not him.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Here's a very interesting thread talking of theories on the Buddha's appearance:

http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php/26797-what-did-Buddah-look-like

Excerpt:

Curly hair - The theory of Buddha having tight curly hair comes from the Lakkhana Sutta, which describes the so called 32 signs of a great man, and this also includes a slightly metaphorical description of his physical countenance. The specific quote is as follows;
    Uddhaggani lomani jatani nilani anjanavannani kundalavattani padakkhinavattaka jatan’
    (D.II,17).

- Uddhaggani, meaning turns around or upwards.
    - Lomani, meaning hair.
    - Nilanianjanavannani, meaning black in color similar to collyrium.
    - Kundalavattani, meaning curled.
    - Padakkhinavatta, meaning turning to the right.

Blue eyes - To quote, the Lakkhana Sutta again;
    XXX - He has very blue eyes (Pali: abhi nila netto). Note 1: "very (abhi) blue (nila) eyes (netto)" is the literal translation. Nila is the word used to describe a sapphire and the color of the sea, but also the color of a rain cloud. It also defines the color of the Hindu God Krishna. Note 2: "His lashes are like a cow's; his eyes are dark./ Those who know such things declare/ 'A child which such fine eyes/ will be one who's looked upon with joy./ If a layman, thus he'll be/ Pleasing to the sight of all./ If ascetic he becomes,/ Then loved as healer of folk's woes.'" (Lakkhana Sutta)

Golden skin - Going by the description of Gautama Buddha in this Sutta, we know that he may have well been a golden skinned (light brown, or perhaps olive skinned); blue-eyed man with curly and/or wavy hair with and athletically built. It is quite interesting that such a peaceful person had such a formidable and impressive appearance. The exact quote translates to - "His complexion is bright, the color of gold". The description of his golden skin corroborates with the ancient Indo-Aryan beauty standard of Gaura skin. For instance, Goddess Parvati, the consort of Lord Shiva is sometimes refered to as Gaura (golden) Rani (queen) or more commonly, Gauri. The Skanda Purana contrasts the goddess' demonic form Kaali with the aforementioned one. The Sama veda urges devotees to worship Lord Brahma keeping in mind the image of a gaura man with four heads. In the Sri Chaitanya Upanishad, Sri Chaitanya Mahāprabhu (famous Vaishnavaite saint and social reformer) is described as being a handsome man with gaura skin.
  • ^ poetic exaggerations. He most likely looked like any south Asian. I am an Indian myself, so he must have looked a lot like me.
    (End of thread)
    music said:

^ poetic exaggerations. He most likely looked like any south Asian. I am an Indian myself, so he must have looked a lot like me.
    (End of thread)

No need to scare us to death!

:D
  • Sile said:

Here's a very interesting thread talking of theories on the Buddha's appearance:

http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php/26797-what-did-Buddah-look-like

Excerpt:

Blue eyes - To quote, the Lakkhana Sutta again;
    XXX - He has very blue eyes (Pali: abhi nila netto). Note 1: "very (abhi) blue (nila) eyes (netto)" is the literal translation. Nila is the word used to describe a sapphire and the color of the sea, but also the color of a rain cloud. It also defines the color of the Hindu God Krishna. Note 2: "His lashes are like a cow's; his eyes are dark./ Those who know such things declare/ 'A child which such fine eyes/ will be one who's looked upon with joy./ If a layman, thus he'll be/ Pleasing to the sight of all./ If ascetic he becomes,/ Then loved as healer of folk's woes.'" (Lakkhana Sutta)

G

He must have the genes of a film star!