Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It Annoys Me and I Know it Shouldn't

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited February 2012 in General Banter
It is something very trivial but it has annoyed me for years. Not a lot annoys me actually, veyr little in fact and this does not annoy me a lot, I am not exactly furious and foaming at the mouth lol. But sometimes I do cringe when I heard the American way of saying 'buddhism' or 'buddha', there is just something about the way it is said that annoys me..

Comments

• edited February 2012
    The way I hear it here in America is: "Boo-dizm" or "Boo-dah."

How else should it be pronounced, Tom?
  • It should not be pronounced in anyway, it is just the way it is pronounced in America just seems to grate on my nerves some times. It is very much like you have tried to write, probably the best you can describe without speaking. How are you anyway Bekenze? I said if you want to talk just send me a message on facebook and I will reply, it goes to my email so I will jump there. I don't use social networks anymore so that is why I have not been around. Hope you are well.
  • Do you dislike it because of the common misconception that all Americans are ignorant when it comes to other cultures, perhaps subconsciously? An American accent, usually exaggerated in a comic Southern style, is sometimes used to mock ignorance.
  • Basically, "The boo-dah is not the boo-dah therefore he is called boo-dah"
  • Um, I do not think that any culture can be put into a group and therfore say that any one person from that culture has this or that trate. But a lot of Americans are ignorant to other cultures due to the sheer size of the country. I don't know, maybe subconsciously it could be the reaosn. I should just accept it for what it is, I am not going to be able to exactly change an entire culture into saying a word in the way other people may say it :p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh I think I know what you mean -

Booodha, or Boood'sm'.... :D

"Great Britain and America - two nations divided by a single language."
    (Oscar Wilde, 1887, in 'The Canterville Ghost')

Horror - comes out as 'whore'
    mirror - comes out as 'mere'
    Iran - comes out as eye-ran (similar treatment of 'Iraq')

We British are a funny lot..... !
  • lol, yes we are a funny lot, FREAKS! It is interesting how if you take peopel from the same nation and then put them in a totally different place, for example USA and Australia, the language and accent changes with time. The language change a lot more obvious to happen, but why does their accent change with it..
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Tom, how do you pronounce it? short u? Emphasis on the dd?
  • Quite literally, B U D D A, but I guess there is little emphasis on the double d.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2012
    rhymes with "could'a, would'a, should'a"........ :D
  • rhymes with "could'a, would'a, should'a"........ :D
    :lol:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    B uh ddha ...more like uh instead of oo?

I'm confused.
    Do you dislike it because of the common misconception that all Americans are ignorant when it comes to other cultures, perhaps subconsciously? An American accent, usually exaggerated in a comic Southern style, is sometimes used to mock ignorance.
    True. I wonder if this is why they insist on calling me a Yank when I go down South. Southern pride always feels like some sort of weird misplaced aggression to me (at least with my sister's boyfriend's family, it did). I always thought, we don't characterize people of the South and have a separate term for them in the North, so why do they feel the need to? But perhaps the term is a result of poor Southern stereotypes and marginalization in the media. @Lady_Alison might have something to add to this.
  • Yes @zombiegirl, as federica posted it rhymes with coulda shoulda woulda
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    If it makes you feel any better, that's how Robert Thurman pronounces it and I always found that mildly confusing and annoying. I imagine at the root, it's our egos... demanding that everything be the way WE think it should be.
  • Probably, although I have come a very long way with respect to accepting how things are and letting them be, obtaining peace through this way. That has been one of the easiest and most helpful teachings of the dharma that I have realized. But you are right, it probably is something to do with the ego somewhere along the lines, everything that has a nature like this is normally ego related.
    I still get irritated by the spelling of the words like 'color' and 'flavor'.
    The correct English spelling, is of course, 'colour' and 'flavour'.

.......However, scrutiny of Bill Bryson's excellent book, 'Mother tongue' succinctly points out that these spellings were originally British, but then French linguistics began to influence etymology in England, and the 'u' was eventually introduced....
    but the original words (without the 'u') made it "Across the Pond"...

Ain't things funny?
  • Inetersting, I never knew that. The way the Americans spell most words differently to us makes more sense as they are often as they sound without silly silent letters and all that. But still, a language is a language. I try and just accept things for how they are, but I the way they say buddha or buddhism can get my goat somewhat, also probably due to the fact that if I hear people say 'buddha' who are from places like India or Thailand, it is very similar to how it is said in the UK. Also, the way the Americans say it in my mind often comes across as trying to make it sound cool or fashionable if that makes any sense. I know that people are not trying to do that of course, but it sounds like it.
    edited February 2012
    Also, the way the Americans say it in my mind often comes across as trying to make it sound cool or fashionable if that makes any sense. I know that people are not trying to do that of course, but it sounds like it.
    Nope. It's just the way everybody else says it around here.

Speech becomes a very elitist thing and I've never really understood that. Not being a native of my city, I guess I say a few words odd that my girlfriend/friends LOVE to point out and tease me about. Rootbeer is 'rutbeer' for example. It's probably some sort of ingrained patriotic/territorial thing, best I can figure. MY TRIBE IS BETTER THAN YOUR TRIBE YOU SAY THINGS WRONG. Lol.

But having said that, my old roommate said some really weird things because he was from even farther north and we ALL teased him about that... :) And don't even get me started on my Canadian friends...
  • lol, okay I won't mention the Canadians (there is no zipped up mouth emoticon). But yes like I said I am sure that there is no intention to try and make it sound cool or fashionable, it is just the way it has evolved into the language for whatever reason.

There wasa time when I would have teased people because of their accent or words they used, I probably would have started an argument here, but I have grown out of that and probably am not a jerk like I was then.
    let's all be idiotic.... who says the British can't laugh at themselves?

• lol, classic duo. I never realized how much he looks like Vic Reeves. Well at least in that sketch anyway.
  • Quite the coincidence I must say. I have never seen Vic playing a serious role, as it says it will show the duos life and how they struggled getting to where they did, so I would have been interesting seeing him play a serious role. It aired when I was out of the UK, did you see it federica?
    As i recall, i saw bits of it, but i don't think i saw it all....
    He's quite the versatile celebrity.
    He's an extremely good serious artist too...

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/tv_and_showbiz/s/1352474_video_tv_comic_vic_reeves_displays_his_art_in_manchester

(this is O/T but hey - it's your thread! :D )
  • Wow, the guy does have a lot of talent. As for going off topic, as in other threads I have said I don't mind too much, it is the nature of conversation IMO, but you are the mod so it is up to you to enforce the law! When people across North America wake up I am sure it will return to topic anyway.

(That's closer to the truth than you'd think... 4" less and I'd be medically classed as a midget.....)
  • You are pretty short then, awww lil miss bossy boots! Can I call you that lol? If you were medically classed as a midet, you could get money from the government. Why not get a few disks removed from your spine or something, just an idea :crazy:
    I've already had one go, and I'm rather more keen to have it back, TBH..... :(

Never mind, at least i'm upright.

And -

No, you can't.
  • Damn, I don't want to add anything. Lol...I mean, have you guys seen the way I spell and totally bad grammar?

We aint known for our ejucashun in that south.

Why Houston is the epicenter of the medical world, Makes me worry...lol.

I try not to say words I can't pronounce. You guys are hilarious.
  • Gov'ment
    Boooota....bea-tah....Buddha.

I think I'm getting better.
  • Slow news day in ThailandTom world it appears. At least we can assume you are being mindfullully condescending and arrogant.
    Slow news day in ThailandTom world it appears. At least we can assume you are being mindfullully condescending and arrogant.
    Its okay, darling. We kinda poke fun at each other al the time. They don't mean anything by it.

@zombiegirl...in the north, my Texas accent gets me a cosmopolitan with a whiskey chaser.
  • I re- read that and I sound like a real jackass don't I?
  • It's ok...you're new! Do you have an accent?

How do you pronounce budhaism?
  • It is something very trivial but it has annoyed me for years. Not a lot annoys me actually, veyr little in fact and this does not annoy me a lot, I am not exactly furious and foaming at the mouth lol. But sometimes I do cringe when I heard the American way of saying 'buddhism' or 'buddha', there is just something about the way it is said that annoys me..
    I just question the motivation of starting a conversation like that. Just ponderous is all.
    I re- read that and I sound like a real jackass don't I?
    Yes.
    Welcome to the herd..... :D

I just question the motivation of starting a conversation like that. Just ponderous is all.
    It's just a little lighthearted banter, and if we can't be lighthearted occasionally, i think as humans we lose that unique charm of being able to laugh at ourselves....
  • In Houston, btw...big as it is...there are only afew English pubs as I rarely if ever run into a Brit. You have to buy your Brit magazines at a specialty newspaper store at the mall. The only exposure we get is PBS BBC news and the masterpiece theatre on Sunday nights on public TV.

I loved 'have you been served '.

The British ambassador was hosting dinner at the British embassy in Japan, and he was sat next to a Japanese dignitary to whom he had not been introduced.....
    Eager to include his native neighbour in gentle and polite discussion, he asked whether his guest was enjoying that particular course....

"Laikee soupee?" he enquired slowly?
    his Japanese guest looked at him, smiled and nodded enthusiastically.

At the end of the meal, the Japanese gentleman was introduced to the assembled diners by The Master of Ceremonies, and rose to give a speech, which he delivered in impeccable Oxford English.
    As he sat down to rapturous applause, he turned to the extremely embarrassed ambassador, and enquired,

"Laikee speechee?"
  • It's ok...you're new! Do you have an accent?

How do you pronounce budhaism?
    Depends who you ask. People in the Midwest think they are the only ones without an accent, but, I'm sure that to Southerners we sound like we do.
    I'm always giving this snippet of advice to people, in an exaggerated "Dr Phil" accent.
    I don't know why.I hate the phrase though i think it holds truth, so I think i give it the texas-drawl spin, to lighten the moment:

"Whaaatd duzzernt keel yew maiksh yew shtrawngur."

('What doesn't kill you makes you stronger', for those who can't recognise the strangled and mangled phrase.....)
  • @mfranzdorf I really am not being arrogant or meant anything to induce an argument, it was placed in general banter for a reason. We all have little things that get at us from time to time, I was watching a video on meditation by an American guy and it just started to niggle me everytime he siad the 'B' word. I really am not a controversial person and hope nobody else takes offense :)
  • I kinda took it that way, but that's on me not you. Peace.
  • Hug it out... we need a hug emoticon.
    edited February 2012
    There are tons of jokes surrounding accents and grammatical gaffes.... this is what makes humans so fascinating..... we're all exactly identical in composition, until we open our mouths....
    My father when young, had a distinctly northern accent, as he came from Newark in Nottinghamshire... when he won a scholarship to the Royal College of Music, in London, he had to also have elocution lessons to train him to speak "the Queen's English." At that time, it was unthinkable that a person with his music calibre, would speak with a regional accent.
    BBC English was also extremely proper and clipped, but of course, such distinctions are unheard of, and frowned upon now.
    Oddly, whenever my father reverted to his Northern accent, he sounded as if it was contrived, so successful was the elocution education he received.

He became an absolute stickler for correct speech and pronunciation, and could cut any relative dead, in the midst of an argument, by correcting their grammar.
    In fact, at his funeral service, i recounted a particular episode to illustrate just what a stickler he was - and the church rang with laughter....
  • Dramatic change federica, I have heard a story of a famous person who I forget now who had a 'harsh' accent and ended up in a highly acclaimed London college. Your dad must have really tried hard with the accent if his native tongue became contrived lol. Kudos though.
    Accents can define who we are, give us history, lineage and identity.... but i have to say, as a former dental receptionist, I had to do a double-take when I was confronted by a really beautiful Indian woman, who had just attended her niece's wedding (beautifully coiffured hair, in a fine jewelled gold net, a turquoise, highly decorated and elaborate sari and more gold ear and facial jewellery than looked comfortable, but was nevertheless stunning, and impeccably made-up) who asked me - in a broad Glaswegian accent - if she could make a dental appointment!
    I kid you not, I laughed out loud, and she saw the funny side too!
  • lol yes, I have seen this in the UK. If they were to say not a single word, you would not expect such a thing. There is a snooker player named FU who is Chinese I think, and I thought he would not speak English too well until they had an interview with him in his town in Scotland. The accent was heavy and it took me back a little. That is the UK for you though, probably the most multicultural country in the world. I read that London alone has over 100 nationalities living there, and not in small numbers.

@Alison, I am sh*t at spelling too, it use to annoy me but now I don't care. Most people understand what I am trying to say, my grammar has also gone out of the window as well. Ever since I had a seizure it changed a few things. I got a double B in English at school as well, owel :p
  • edited February 2012
    I have never known Tom to have a mean bone in his body.

Just lots of illegal substances. ... Zing!

Sorry. :lol: Just a joke.
  • lol, actually since you have known me the substances have all been legal in my body, ZING! But still, thankyou oh kind bekenze :)