Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Next Step

edited May 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I am new to Buddhism and this group. I have read some books by a few authors, listened to some lectures on CD, and have attended a sit. What might the next step be for a middle-aged white guy in Long Beach, California to take? As in most Christian churches in the area, Buddhist services are held on Sundays. I work Sundays. (Trying to change that.) I know that I can only learn so much from books and CD's. While this discussion group is great, I want to keep going.

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Flyte534 wrote:
    I am new to Buddhism and this group. I have read some books by a few authors, listened to some lectures on CD, and have attended a sit. What might the next step be for a middle-aged white guy in Long Beach, California to take? As in most Christian churches in the area, Buddhist services are held on Sundays. I work Sundays. (Trying to change that.) I know that I can only learn so much from books and CD's. While this discussion group is great, I want to keep going.

Hi Flyte,

Welcome to the site. I am also new to Buddhism. A middle-aged white guy, huh? I know the feeling! I am a middle-aged white woman who is a Wiccan living smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt here in Anderson, Indiana! I have even been persecuted for being a Wiccan as well as my kids. <Sigh!> So much for religious tolerance---it does not exist here! :banghead: Whatever. Now, I have embraced Buddhism. I initially started my study wanting to learn how to meditate but found that Buddhism is so much more than that. I look forward to getting to know you. As far as services go, well, I found a small group of Nichiren Buddhists (SGI-USA) here (that also are given a hard time because of being Buddhists) that meet on Wednesday nights to chant and study. We have our district meeting on Sundays at 11 am here in Anderson once a month. Since we don't have a community center here, we meet in each others' homes. Sometimes, I try to go to the Indiana Community Center (SGI-USA) in Indianapolis. It is open on Saturdays and Sundays so that all can attend; there are a lot of people who have to work on the weekends here so that is why the center in Indianapolis is open all weekend. It is also the gathering place for all SGI-USA members in Indiana. It is the only one here in Indiana. :):) Anyway, I wish you all the best as you walk down the Buddhism path. I don't know what particular branch you embrace---I am a SGI-USA member---but I wish you all the best and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Adiana :D:D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Hello Flyte, how are you doing? Managed to sort something out yet? Nice to see you here. I like your George Harrison quotation too....very him. Like Ghandi's quotation : "God has no religion". Same thing really, as George Harrison followed Hinduism, Krishna and so much more..... :) Time will sort things out for you....that and your own experiences along the way! ;)
  • edited May 2005
    Many thanks for your message. I can only imagine the intolerance you are dealing with. However, there are strong feelings out here that if you are not Christian, you are wrong. (My fundamentalist brother actually said that to me.) :banghead:

I am not knocking Christianity. It is just not my path. My wife is Christian and my leaning towards Buddhism is a sore point with her. She is quiet about it, but I know it is not something she likes. :confused:

I liked the sit I attended, but I want more instruction on Buddhism, as well as meditation. I wish any of the local temple services and home gatherings around here were available on any days besides Sundays.

It is good to meet you and I look forward to talking to you more in the future.

Flyte534
  • edited May 2005
    Hello to you too, Federica. My brother hates that quote by Harrison. Said it was "bad theology". We get along only because we have agreed to not discuss religion. (Nor politics, but that is off-topic.) I am open-minded to whatever path you choose, be it Buddhism, Taoism, Wicca, Christianity or what have you. My brother is the opposite.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    It's quite weird, isn't it, how it puts some people's backs up? Many years ago, somebody said that Buddhism was a waste of time because it was too simplistic - like, a 'religion' has to be really complicated and difficult to comprehend to make it valid! "If you can't convince 'em - confuse 'em!!" It's also an oriental, foreign 'faddish' philosophy, an easy way out (if only they knew!) something that lets you off the hook from committing with the community.

I'm sorry you and your brother find it difficult to get on over this; I'm particularly sorry your wife and you have this as a hurdle between you. But people will always resist, and be hostile to, things they do not understand.
    remember that if ever these situations become so difficult that you can't see a way through it on your own, you can always PM a chosen member on this site as a friendly ear to get some feedback. All of us at one time or another have shared and cared.... this is what a Sangha is all about. Don't hesitate to call on us when you need a step up the ladder.... :)
  • edited May 2005
    Federica:

I get along with my brother fairly well, but you are right in that it is sad we cannot discuss religion. I accept my brother's choices in that area; but it would "hit the fan" if I tried to discuss my feelings. I try to keep the peace whenever possible. I do not feel I am compromising myself or my beliefs. I just do not bring up the subject. If pressed on the subject, by anyone, I will speak honestly.

Not sure if this will ever be a big problem with my wife. I was reading a few books by the Dalai Lama and she asked me "Why are you reading those?" I answered without hesitation, "Because they make sense to me." I am not saying I understood everything in the books, but they do make sense. I am new enough to Buddhism that I do not adhere to any one school of thought. I am still searching for a service I can attend.

Thank you for your kind reminder about how I can turn to the group for support. It means a lot to me to know you all are here.

Flyte534
  • edited May 2005
    Flyte534 wrote:
    Federica:

I get along with my brother fairly well, but you are right in that it is sad we cannot discuss religion. I accept my brother's choices in that area; but it would "hit the fan" if I tried to discuss my feelings. I try to keep the peace whenever possible. I do not feel I am compromising myself or my beliefs. I just do not bring up the subject. If pressed on the subject, by anyone, I will speak honestly.

Not sure if this will ever be a big problem with my wife. I was reading a few books by the Dalai Lama and she asked me "Why are you reading those?" I answered without hesitation, "Because they make sense to me." I am not saying I understood everything in the books, but they do make sense. I am new enough to Buddhism that I do not adhere to any one school of thought. I am still searching for a service I can attend.

Thank you for your kind reminder about how I can turn to the group for support. It means a lot to me to know you all are here.

Flyte534

I am so sorry to read of the troubles you have been having; it is tough when your own family gives you grief over religious choices. I really hope that things work out for the best. Federica is right; people do get their backs up over such things as religion. It really is a shame. Like you, I feel that everyone has a right to their own beliefs whatever they may be.

Yes, I also read some books by the Dalai Lama and I was impressed with what I read as well. As for choosing a particular school of thought, I think that you are doing what is right for you. I believe that when a situation is right---well---it is right and you will know. I happened to have had an interest in Nichiren Buddhism and it is the branch of Buddhism for me because I feel comfortable as well as feel it is the right path for me.

Yes, there are some very supportive people here; I know because some of them have had to listen to ME rant! LOL! :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, welcome and I also look forward to getting to know you.

Adiana :):)