Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone know of any Buddhists having dialogue?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Today
The Dalai Lama has been prominent in participating in discussions with the scientific community. But my question is if their have been any developement of Dharma for schizophrenic people? Can schizophrenic people become enlightened as they are? Or not? Anyone read anything on this?

Or what passing thoughts does anyone have?

I post this slightly to explain myself but I also want to stop feeling like crap like there is something wrong with me. I'm tired of it.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    In just a quick google search I came across this:

For those who would accuse me of 'warm & fuzzy' thinking and that this research has little relevance to our work with persons with schizophrenia, I would highly recommend the phenomenological research on recovery from severe and chronic schizophrenias being done by Larry Davidson and his colleagues at Yale University in New Haven. In his "Living Outside Mental Illness: Qualitative Studies of Recovery in Schizophrenia" published by New York University Press in 2003, Davidson has demonstrated the importance in recovery for the patient to have the experience of being able to care for another human being as well as feeling deeply cared for outside of more clinical, institutional forms of caring. This is in line with what such schizophrenia researchers as John Strauss and Courtenay Harding have been long advocating: the co-construction of a viable, functional & valued sense of self along with the opportunity for social inclusion (as opposed to social exclusion and stigmatization).

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Outside-Mental-Illness-Schizophrenia/dp/0814719430
  • I'm not sure if cause and effect are reversed. I would think the people experiencing the most distortions of the fabric of reality would be compassionate Buddhas for staying away from people.

In any case I always like to give when I can. It's just the way I am. I went to New Orleans with some friends and we drank a lot and the friends of friends who took ecstacy made themselves vulnerable and said "that's just the way you are?" And I said yes. Another friend poured a beer on my head and un-surprisingly I poured one on his head and he was mad at me.

I do feel sad at being isolated but it's better than the distortions I get sometimes and the main motivation of isolation is to prevent going into the Bardos and experiencing distortions of the world. It makes me wonder what view of emptiness is correct? I perceive that the escalation of anti-miracles in my life is probably from bad karma of head injuries and bad DNA. And stealing candy and daydreaming. U reaallly deserve this. I once wished someone die and they did eventually. And I fear people will die. And then I think wrong thoughts.
  • In any case I always like to give when I can. It's just the way I am. I went to New Orleans with some friends and we drank a lot and the friends of friends who took ecstacy made themselves vulnerable and said "that's just the way you are?" And I said yes. Another friend poured a beer on my head and un-surprisingly I poured one on his head and he was mad at me.
    The "bad karma" that caused this was probably that you got drunk, plus maybe with the wrong people.

I do feel sad at being isolated but it's better than the distortions I get sometimes and the main motivation of isolation is to prevent going into the Bardos and experiencing distortions of the world. It makes me wonder what view of emptiness is correct? I perceive that the escalation of anti-miracles in my life is probably from bad karma of head injuries and bad DNA. And stealing candy and daydreaming. U reaallly deserve this. I once wished someone die and they did eventually. And I fear people will die. And then I think wrong thoughts.
    The correct view of emptiness in this case would probably be: "there is no inherent thing in me that is bad or that makes me deserve badness in life and because of this i can lead a happy life even if i dont feel or belief it now".

And as far as i know there is no evidence that your thoughts have such an impact on life that it causes someone else death. If you wish someone bad things the only one that is hurt is yourself because you have negative thoughts. You dont have to feel bad because you had such thoughts, just remember yourself that the only harm you are creating trough such thoughts is harm to yourself and because there is no good reason to harm yourself you can just stop with it.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Can schizophrenic people become enlightened as they are? Or not? Anyone read anything on this?
    The DL himself: "I myself feel, and also tell other Buddhists that the question of Nirvana will come later.
    There is not much hurry.
    If in day to day life you lead a good life, honesty, with love, with compassion, with less selfishness, then automatically it will lead to Nirvana."

http://www.rudyh.org/dalai-lama-quotes-quotations.htm

Jeffrey, you are getting ahead of yourself (as are many others on this board). You are asking a question that cannot be answered. We don't know what will happen. We don't know what enlightenment is, and which are the circumstances for attaining it or not.
    Why does it matter, how does the answer effect what you do in an hour or tomorrow?

People study and think - and build a huge Buddhist encyclopedia in their heads, but where is the practical application in everyday life?

You can do whatever is possible for you within your family and circle of friends, and for yourself and feel happy. What I'm getting at is in practical terms of observing the 8 fold path, you can be as effective as the next person - and that's what matters on a day to day basis. I'm not overlooking the challenge of schizophrenia, but maybe you can clarify how your daily practice is different from other people's because of it.

I did find that there is info on "Buddhism and Schizophrenia" on the net. Did you google it?
  • I feel happy when I am alone and can read these words of people. I felt touched that anybody would answer.
  • HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    For some reason this reminded me of a koan:

Provided he makes and wins an argument about Buddhism with those who live there, any wondering monk can remain in a Zen temple. If he is defeated, he has to move on.

In a temple in the northern part of Japan two brother monks were dwelling together. The elder one was learned, but the younger one was stupid and had but one eye.

A wandering monk came and asked for lodging, properly challenging them to a debate about the sublime teachings. The elder brother, tired that day from much studying, told the younger one to take his place. "Go and request the dialogue in silence," he cautioned.

So the young monk and the stranger went to the shrine and sat down.

Shortly afterwards the traveler rose and went in to the elder brother and said: "Your young brother is a wonderful fellow. He defeated me."

"Relate the dialogue to me," said the elder one.

"Well," explained the traveler, "first I held up one finger, representing Buddha, the enlightened one. So he held up two fingers, signifying Buddha and his teaching. I held up three fingers, representing Buddha, his teaching, and his followers, living the harmonious life. Then he shook his clenched fist in my face, indicating that all three come from one realization. Thus he won and so I have no right to remain here." With this, the traveler left.

"Where is that fellow?" asked the younger one, running in to his elder brother.

"I understand you won the debate."

"Won nothing. I'm going to beat him up."

"Tell me the subject of the debate," asked the elder one.

"Why, the minute he saw me he held up one finger, insulting me by insinuating that I have only one eye. Since he was a stranger I thought I would be polite to him, so I held up two fingers, congratulating him that he has two eyes. Then the impolite wretch held up three fingers, suggesting that between us we only have three eyes. So I got mad and started to punch him, but he ran out and that ended it!"
  • @Honden, I like your story because it percolates in me regarding the nature of debate, but I don't approve of violence so it was scary at the end.
  • edited February 2012
    I don't necessarily believe in the concept of "mental illness" at all. Industrial-Age systems of Psychology are largely subjective, and intended to diagnose the adjustment-maladjustment of the individual to social constructs and cultural norms. When we are able to move beyond these limitations and to a more objective system, we find that all behavior can be placed within one continuum for each different aspect of consciousness and behavior. There are no absolutely distinguishing mental makeups, but rather just differing degrees of personality traits that fall on the same scales. This allows for a more objective system. From this perspective, people with various neuroses or even extreme mental illnesses just fall on different levels of the same scales as "normal" people. In extreme cases, it seems that these people somehow gain acccess to a completely different state of consciousness than is typical among society, and this state of consciousness somehow makes normal social-life difficult; the individual then chooses to stay in that state of consciousness, for one reason or another.
  • Yes, that makes sense to me. I'm having a bleak time in afternoons and that is my karma. When I had a powerful awakening I was in a realm of confusion and innacurate loose associations and I could tune that out to a crushing state. Thank you forum for existing.

the wind blows foul of existing nature
    returning our assumptions to the great source
    clearly the impermanence of ground
    edited February 2012
    I don't necessarily believe in the concept of "mental illness" at all. Industrial-Age systems of Psychology are largely subjective, and intended to diagnose the adjustment-maladjustment of the individual to social constructs and cultural norms. When we are able to move beyond these limitations and to a more objective system, we find that all behavior can be placed within one continuum for each different aspect of consciousness and behavior. There are no absolutely distinguishing mental makeups, but rather just differing degrees of personality traits that fall on the same scales. This allows for a more objective system. From this perspective, people with various neuroses or even extreme mental illnesses just fall on different levels of the same scales as "normal" people. In extreme cases, it seems that these people somehow gain acccess to a completely different state of consciousness than is typical among society, and this state of consciousness somehow makes normal social-life difficult; the individual then chooses to stay in that state of consciousness, for one reason or another.
    I think it depends upon how in touch with reality one is. I had an episode of psychosis once and my mind was making all kinds of stuff up that wasn't tied into factual, agreed upon things.

It sounds like you're saying what someone with mental illness perceives is real just not what everyone else agrees is real. Doesn't there have to be some agreed upon convention or can we all just make up whatever we want and believe it's true?
  • edited February 2012
    Social constructs are elaborate fabrications that serve certain purposes, but have no place in "reality." These social constructs are peddled as the REAL reality, when in actuality it is our "subjective" experience of consciousness that can be said to be "objective," and this can be confirmed through the principles of relativity, which solves the direct linguistic contradiction of "the subjective is the objective." I have had experiences that have been called "manic episodes," and have led to my diagnosis as bipolar. I haven't taken medication in around a year, and I am certain that I am not "mentally ill" but rather have been misunderstood, but nonetheless I have direct experience in the department of being a patient of "mental illness" with the psychiatric institutions.

To conclude with a more direct answering of your question, although I find the underlying principles I am trying to express to be of primary importance; "some agreed upon convention" or "shared reality" cannot be said to objectively exist, but rather we all live in our own reality-tunnels. Living in reality-tunnels that we can share with others so as to meet that need for objective validation is important, and serves its purpose. I think it is important that we put these constructs into perspective, though. Our ways of looking at all of this is clouded by "traditional" ways of thinking in society.
    We do each create our own reality or perception of reality. That doesn't mean if I think a chair is a bagel I can have it for a snack. Or if I think I can fly from the top of a skyscraper that I won't plummet to my death. Or someone could be being nice to me and due to my paranoia I think they are trying to harm me.

People with delusions can think things are one way but there real laws of the universe or reality that don't change because of how we view them.

So I partly agree that subjective reality is where the world 'happens' but not entirely.
  • We tend to find as "true" implications of our own pre-dispositions of consciousness. You have certain pre-dispositions that lend themselves to your jumping to extreme examples when I present my ideas, such as eating chairs and jumping off of buildings. This is a common reaction, but I suggest that your mind jumps there as a reaction to previous experience or an inner-anxiety about the "dangers" of a reality which is not agreed upon by society. Now I am not saying anything is wrong with this. As I say, we all find as our "truth" more and more clear projections of our initial assumptions. Given those dispositions, I would not expect you to be able to entirely accept what I am saying. Note that I am not trying to convince you that eating a chair is acceptable behavior. As I say, given that your dispositions are such that your mind jumps to that, I would not expect you to be able to entirely accept what I am saying; and that is ok. I am not proposing that one must accept any particular manifestation of subjectivity. I rather ask that you, or anyone else, looks within at why your mind jumps wherever it does when I speak of my ideas.
    I rather ask that you, or anyone else, looks within at why your mind jumps wherever it does when I speak of my ideas.
    My mind jumps there because I see your ideas, while I do find them interesting, as partly divorced from reality.

Maybe the chair/bagle example was a bit off but someone with mental illness believing that they can fly or perceiving harm in kindness are very real examples.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    So, @ImmersedOne, while you find yourself in your own reality-tunnel and seeing things your own way, with apparently nothing in common with other people's perception of reality, how does that help the OP, when you are denying he has a problem? He said he did and you are telling him no he doesn't....?

And how does the theorizing that may be correct on an extremely abstract level help in this particular moment in time when the OP wants practical help?

Also, there are varying degrees of mental illnesses. IMO a mental illness is objectively present the same way a physical illness is, and while there are a lot of questionable techniques of easing the problem, it is a disservice to the person who is afflicted to deny his reality, which amounts to not taking him/her seriously.
    I think you mean well, and are sharing what works for you, but you forget IMO that people *are* different.
  • I don't see how suggesting that we all have our own different subjective truths denies that people are different. :confused:

Nonetheless, I'll let the thread be. Carry on :thumbsup:
    @ImmersedOne While I find your posts smart and well reasoned I also find them to often not have much factual evidence to support them. When talking about interplanetary colonization or interspecies communication its all well and good and fun to think about and play with. But when it comes to something like mental illness to say that whatever appears in one's mind is true is harmful to someone with delusions.

I think it was John Wayne Gacy that heard a dog tell him to kill people? What you were saying sounds like since all reality is in one's head and subjective that this indeed was the case.

In Buddhism there is something called two truths doctrine. It says that there is an ultimate truth of emptiness or rigpa but that truth doesn't deny the conventional truth of the world of phenomena. So fire burns, knives cut and dogs die the subjective part is our reaction and perception of those dependantly arisen things.
  • I like the two truth doctrine, but I do not believe that a subjective interpretation of social constructs is necessarily that valid conventional truth. As I said though, obviously this isn't the place for these ideas, so let me fade into the background and let the conversation take its own course :)
    I like the two truth doctrine, but I do not believe that a subjective interpretation of social constructs is necessarily that valid conventional truth. As I said though, obviously this isn't the place for these ideas, so let me fade into the background and let the conversation take its own course :)
    Ok, not buying into social constructs is fine and I'm with you. Physical objects and natural laws are another thing and not so subject to ones own interpretation. So I guess I reacted negatively in this context because someone with schizophrenia can disassociate with those constructs to their own and others harm. So yes, just be mindful of where and when you present your ideas.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    My jeff I would.love to chat... it is so natural to take these anylitical.diagnosis personally to the point of offense and frustration in us. My naturopath said it sounds like I have schitzophrenia and that some recover. But what is it? Brain is messed up so we have symptoms? Id love to chat.. there is help out there... I'm going to send you .video I want ur opinion on it. Have u heard of r.d. laing? Sorry its 5 am typing on a phone I'll get back to u
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran