Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Are detox diets BS? The truth about cleanses and conventional medicine"

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited February 2012 in Diet & Habits

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Yes, I think it's BS...vegetables clean you out, not some fad diet...maybe fasting and water in between.
  • Two words : dried prunes.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    So what about people with illness due to high toxic metal poisoning?

Even my protein powder likely has all of these: lead, arsenic, cadmium and mercury
  • As I watched I couldn't help but wonder about the toxic load of wearing tight synthetic clothing, colored by poisonous chemical dyes; and let's not even think about the absorption of toxic 'perm solutions' through the skin....
    OK. I admit it - I got jittery as soon as I saw that the title claimed "The Truth" !

I'm thinking that a Detoxifying or a Toxic Diet is determined by the quality of food you eat over a lifetime . Just like you haven't conquered Toxic Speech by doing a weekend workshop if you go straight back to talking trash on Monday - you can't Detox yourself by purchasing a single small bottle from the heath food shop - then go back to eating what made you toxic in the first place....

"Detox Diets" - and the range of 'natural' products that invariably accompany them - are BS in my books. (But a clean natural diet is a Great Thing though.)

Good thinking.. thanks for the input :D.
    @Federica

Whoopsies can this be moved to Diet and Habits?

I that actually gets her attention if she hasnt posted
  • I think she'll move it, don't worry. I make that mistake too...good thread.
  • To detox, just to a healthy balanced diet and drink lots of water... There are probably certain spices or herbs that help with the process, but diets are all fads. When people say to me or i heard "I am going on a diet" I often reply "you already are on one. Everyone has a diet..."

• Dude, I got deja vu
    You've said this before to Leon.
    Trust me, I have excellent memory
    To detox, just to a healthy balanced diet and drink lots of water... There are probably certain spices or herbs that help with the process, but diets are all fads. When people say to me or i heard "I am going on a diet" I often reply "you already are on one. Everyone has a diet..."
  • Probably the first part lol.. I dunno my memory is not so good so maybe some times I repeat myself myself myself. That reminds me, I need to inform Leon on something that he was interested in knowing. Thank you for the reminder :P
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    So what about people with illness due to high toxic metal poisoning?
    Even my protein powder likely has all of these: lead, arsenic, cadmium and mercury
    I didn't watch the film yet, but there are different detoxes for different purposes. There's a detox involving lemon juice that helps you flush out kidney and gall stones. For heavy metals there's a heavy metal detox spray that you squirt into your mouth, or there are chelation supplements (these heavy metal remedies are to be done under the guidance of a doc or naturopath, who can test you periodically to measure progress), and I'm sure there are other types of detoxing in addition to these.

You don't want to ignore things like mercury (blocks the thyroid) or lead in your system. My doc said lead is in most tap water in the US, and Bush raised the limit on allowable levels. I picked up a lot of lead from some enamel cookware I was using, that got chipped, so now I'm doing the detox spray. My doc also says all chicken in the US, except organic, is laced with arsenic. Uranium is around, too, if you live in a state with a nuclear reactor. Uranium occurs naturally in the soil in New Mexico, so locally-grown veggies are full of it. People around here joke that we all glow in the dark.

Gee, the short skirt really adds to the credibility, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

• Thanks @Dakini that was very informative and interesting, even though I do not live in the US it illustrates how we humans are constantly shooting ourselves in the foot with chemicals.

Although I would like to say that as people in your state take the whole nuclear thing with good humor, it is quite serious. I do not know what type of radiation is in the food, but if it is alpha then that is really not good. Alpha radiation does not penetrate a lot of mass, so if it is digested it will roam around in your body whereas gama goes through pretty much anything and beta cannot pass through lead. Also, bush put up the levels of lead in the water? Sorry for my ignorance, but why is there added lead in there anyway?
  • @ThailandTom We don't have a nuclear reactor here, but when I was living in Seattle, I picked up some uranium from a reactor they had toward the southern part of the state. The stuff blows around in the wind, I guess. Here in NM, I was referring to naturally-occurring uranium in the soil. They used to mine it here, to sell to states with nuclear reactors. We do have a nuclear research lab, though, that produces nuclear pollution of some sort, that's a different matter. I know a number of people who have gotten very aggressive cancers, and that lab is the main suspect. No study has ever been done about elevated cancer rates in the towns within a certain radius of the lab. It employs a LOT of people. I wonder if that's why no journalist or environmentalist has ever done a big study. Ya think?
  • Anything that bills itself as "the truth about..." automatically raises my red flags.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Yes, I think it's BS...vegetables clean you out, not some fad diet...maybe fasting and water in between.
    Hmm, I think you right. And what you mentioned about water as being good is true from my experience.
    edited February 2012
    @Mountains

Lol it should be called Truths on the subject of Detoxing but NOT everything you need to know to make a well-informed decision on the topic and here's how to do it.

However the consuses seems to be that we all agree:

Toxins can build up, even causing diseases or dysfunction

The body detoxes itself, however can be helped to flush toxins

Interesting. I'm still not leaning either way.

Still an informative video.. I'm kinda leaning towards thinking it's a decent idea.