Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hi!

edited May 2005 in General Banter
Now that you guys know me I'm deleting some of my info here for privacy's sake. Not that anything ever really gets deleted from the internet ;)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    hello DharmaKitten, and welcome to you!
    Good luck with your studies, I hope all goes well!
    I'm English, and I live in France, so I'm familiar with the education system here in Europe, but I'm not sure about yours.... are you 'majoring' in something? Do tell!!

deconstruction of beliefs is like trying to 'un-learn' something.... impossible, I think!! Your story sounds familiar, as I think I've lived part of the same thing! I'm 48 now, but I still remember believing Nuns had either no feet or cloven hooves - :lol:
    The advice I have read and tried to take is that if it is a truth that sits well with you, live it; if it is a truth that jarrs against what you believe, leave it alone, it's not for you.

Hope to chat again soon! :)
  • edited May 2005
    DharmaKitten,

Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you. I am also from Florida, originally from Daytona Beach. I moved up to Indiana since my late hubby was the Hoosier (A term used to describe someone born in Indiana) and was offered a better job here. I am considering moving back but that is something that is not going to happen in the immediate future. I am a Nichiren Buddhist and also a student. I am 48 and I am attending college online to finish up my bachelor's degree in Business Administration. I am also a Wiccan. Like Federica, I had images of Nuns floating through the air since they had no feet! LOL!

Adiana
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Welcome to our community, DharmaKitten! :)
  • edited May 2005
    same here
  • edited May 2005
    here too
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks. Might I say that it's nice to come across an online community that is so welcoming.
    Brian wrote:
    Welcome to our community, DharmaKitten! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Yes, it's kind of a shock to the system.... I've accessed other sites (I have to say at this point that they weren't Buddhist) but one came down on me like a ton of bricks because I'd violated four of their rules with my first post (!!) and another had a couple of people that were so fundamentalist, argumentative and so entrenched in their beliefs that they simply either shot other folks down, or were so impolite that it beggared belief!! So much for tolerance and understanding - :whatever: !!
    I have to say from my very first posting here, I was made to feel like the friend who'd been away for a while... so maybe we should be greeting all new-comers with "welcome back! How was your trip?" :lol:
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited May 2005
    Yes, blame me from bring DK here! I thought it interesting that she goes to my alma mater (and current employer!) and enjoys many of the same pursuits. It's a shame, though, that the nature of college has changed, at least at the big university level. The seem more career oriented and look down upon those who want to learn everything they can! I was actually forced to graduate because I had enough credits to do so but still wanted to take more classes!

Speaking of pagans, my little pagan son was telling his classmates (he's 4) that the thunder and lightning come from Zeus! I also find it wonderful that he can identify Buddha in his many different forms, yet wouldn't know JC if he saw him!
  • edited May 2005
    Daytona Beach isn't too far from where I grew up. My husband and I are both from Putnam County. If you've been through the area, you can probably understand why I'm in the Buddhist closet there. Right now I live in Gainesville and everyone's pretty cool with it, though I don't think they know why they are.

Nichiren Buddhist? I don't think I've heard about that kind, but I'd be curious to find out more.

Wiccan? Cool. I have a good friend who is Wiccan and several more friends who practice similar types of paganism. My husband, in fact, is pagan. I personally consider myself pagan even though I am atheist because I don't practice an Abrahamic religion. However, the general consensus (at least online) seems to be that that definition is inaccurate and that one must believe in some sort of spirits to be pagan. Oh well, no proud to be pagan bumper stickers for me. My husband does believe in higher powers, so he qualifies as pagan I guess. I learned a lot about Wiccanism a few years ago when he started researching it as an alternative to Christianity. We both lost our Christian faith around the same time, right after we got married. It was weird. Him - "Honey, I don't think I'm really Christian anymore." Me - "Oh, really?" *Panic* "Oh, me neither now that I actually think about it." Well, that was sort of it.

Hi DharmaKitten,

Yes, I am familiar with Putnam County and I can understand why you would be in the Buddhist closet! LOL! :lol::lol:

Nichiren Buddism was started by a man named Nichiren Daishonin. He taught that the Buddha is in all of us and that by chanting a particular phrase---Nam Myoho Renge Kyo---would help to bring out the Buddha nature in those who chanted that phrase. He also taught that one could change their karma as well by chanting the phrase and by doing gongyo. What struck me about it was the fact that I was told to just try chanting for 90 days and reading some of the Works of Nichiren Daishonin to see if I noticed any changes in myself. I was told that the only way to find out if this was to be my path was to give it a chance for 90 days. Now that made me sit up and take notice! When was the last time any religion challenged someone to do that? I am talking the most general of things here, though as I am a new student myself. I have much to learn. To me, it is the path that I feel I am supposed to walk.

I was also brought up in the Baptist faith and I hated it; I never felt that it was the path I was supposed to be on. I also feel that the Book religions are very mysogynistic to women and that was not fair. I also do not feel that there is only one true faith and all others are the path to Hell. I had many unanswered questions that were brushed aside and that also left me with a bad taste in my mouth. When introduced to Wicca, I felt at home. I have been practicing for some time now. I still consider myself a student of Wicca as well. As far as being Pagan is concerned, I think that one is considered a Pagan if they follow the "Old Ways" versus the Book religions. I was drawn to Wicca because it is an Earth-based religion. I have always had a reverance for Mother Earth and I think that is also one reason I am drawn to Wicca. I also don't have any Proud to be Pagan stickers on my car, either! LOL! :lol::lol::lol:

Adiana
  • edited May 2005
    I think one of the best thing about Buddhism is the Buddhists. Now how many religions are there that you can say that about? Not many. I love the bumper sticker: "God, save me from your followers". Not to say I haven't known a lot of great Christians, but I think we Buddhists are generally very tolerant of different beliefs since (at least for me) Buddhism is a journey rather than a destination (not to be cliché). I know my "beliefs" are changing as I grow spiritually and I expect it is similar for many Buddhists. If I can accept change in my own thinking, I can more easily accept different thinking from others.
    federica wrote:
    Yes, it's kind of a shock to the system.... I've accessed other sites (I have to say at this point that they weren't Buddhist) but one came down on me like a ton of bricks because I'd violated four of their rules with my first post (!!) and another had a couple of people that were so fundamentalist, argumentative and so entrenched in their beliefs that they simply either shot other folks down, or were so impolite that it beggared belief!! So much for tolerance and understanding - :whatever: !!
    I have to say from my very first posting here, I was made to feel like the friend who'd been away for a while... so maybe we should be greeting all new-comers with "welcome back! How was your trip?" :lol:
  • edited May 2005
    Yeah, like you said, we're clones. Freaky. I agree with you about the changing nature of college (not that I have much experience). I don't know why the big rush on getting students out in 4 years. I know it's good for college rankings, but I still don't get why it's THAT important for those. Of course, the university says that it has to get students out so that more students can be accepted in. That sounds fine, but I don't feel they're being sincere about it. Besides, what's going to happen to all the super-educated people out there? If I could, I'd take half a dozen majors and an equal number of minors. Sure I plan to go to grad school, but it's not the same thing. I feel really pressured since I can't graduate then come back and get another undergrad degree. Sure, I COULD go to another university, but excuse me for not wanting to uproot my husband and I and our lives to go to a sub-par school that might not even have the major I want. :banghead:
    ZenLunatic wrote:
    Yes, blame me from bring DK here! I thought it interesting that she goes to my alma mater (and current employer!) and enjoys many of the same pursuits. It's a shame, though, that the nature of college has changed, at least at the big university level. The seem more career oriented and look down upon those who want to learn everything they can! I was actually forced to graduate because I had enough credits to do so but still wanted to take more classes!

Speaking of pagans, my little pagan son was telling his classmates (he's 4) that the thunder and lightning come from Zeus! I also find it wonderful that he can identify Buddha in his many different forms, yet wouldn't know JC if he saw him!
  • edited May 2005
    To be honest, I've never done much chanting - outside of the Catholic church, that is. Maybe saying all those Hail Marys has something to do with why I haven't rushed to chant. Nevertheless, your experience with it has been helpful so maybe something similar could be beneficial for me. I'll have to think about that this summer. I can certainly see how chanting could help me learn to focus. Also, I sometimes get stuck on certain negative thoughts. Maybe I could use some sort of chant to break the cycle. Do you have any suggestions?
    Adiana wrote:

Nichiren Buddism was started by a man named Nichiren Daishonin. He taught that the Buddha is in all of us and that by chanting a particular phrase---Nam Myoho Renge Kyo---would help to bring out the Buddha nature in those who chanted that phrase. He also taught that one could change their karma as well by chanting the phrase and by doing gongyo. What struck me about it was the fact that I was told to just try chanting for 90 days and reading some of the Works of Nichiren Daishonin to see if I noticed any changes in myself. I was told that the only way to find out if this was to be my path was to give it a chance for 90 days. Now that made me sit up and take notice! When was the last time any religion challenged someone to do that? I am talking the most general of things here, though as I am a new student myself. I have much to learn. To me, it is the path that I feel I am supposed to walk.

Adiana
    edited May 2005
    If you get stuck on negative thoughts, and you KNOW you're getting stuck on them, then that means you have progressed to a higher level of consciousness than before, right?.... So that's a good start, doncha think....? I would hazzard a gues that it therefore means you're less 'stuck' than before. So it's not chanting you might need at this point, although you may feel it helps. From my point of view, what may be more useful to you here is a constructive Mantra, or phrase you may feel would bring you back to your centre, and help you to just "Be". :)
    I'm speaking from experience, and I have found this method works for me....
    If I'm looped into a pattern of say, despondency, frustration, anger, whatever, I bring myself up short (not hard, as I'm only 4'10"!) and just repeat the word 'Focus' to myself. Then when I feel I have sufficiently distanced myself from what pulled me down, or back, I just focus on my breathing, and as I breathe in, I say 'calm' and as I breathe out, I say 'serene'. I make myself smile, (not always easy when all you want to do is punch somebody's lights out!!) and tell myself 'this too, shall pass.' Be centred. An element of calm and peace has to be created before chanting can come from the Heart, Mind and Soul.... after that, pretty much anything goes, from "Aaaaaah!" to "Om mani padme Hung"! ;)
  • edited May 2005
    To be honest, I've never done much chanting - outside of the Catholic church, that is. Maybe saying all those Hail Marys has something to do with why I haven't rushed to chant. Nevertheless, your experience with it has been helpful so maybe something similar could be beneficial for me. I'll have to think about that this summer. I can certainly see how chanting could help me learn to focus. Also, I sometimes get stuck on certain negative thoughts. Maybe I could use some sort of chant to break the cycle. Do you have any suggestions?

You know, I think that Fed is right; it might be best to choose some sort of mantra or phrase to help you to get over certain negative thoughts. Also, anything you choose to help you to focus should be something that is meaningful to you. My chanting is what helps me to focus and to get serene; however that is me and it is what I choose to do. If you want to try chanting, then by all means do it. But please, please realize that what is right for me may not be for you. I don't want to influence anyone because I am a new student of Buddhism myself. :):):););):lol::lol::lol:

Adiana
  • edited May 2005
    federica wrote:
    If you get stuck on negative thoughts, and you KNOW you're getting stuck on them, then that means you have progressed to a higher level of consciousness than before, right?.... So that's a good start, doncha think....? I would hazzard a gues that it therefore means you're less 'stuck' than before. So it's not chanting you might need at this point, although you may feel it helps. From my point of view, what may be more useful to you here is a constructive Mantra, or phrase you may feel would bring you back to your centre, and help you to just "Be". :)
    I'm speaking from experience, and I have found this method works for me....
    If I'm looped into a pattern of say, despondency, frustration, anger, whatever, I bring myself up short (not hard, as I'm only 4'10"!) and just repeat the word 'Focus' to myself. Then when I feel I have sufficiently distanced myself from what pulled me down, or back, I just focus on my breathing, and as I breathe in, I say 'calm' and as I breathe out, I say 'serene'. I make myself smile, (not always easy when all you want to do is punch somebody's lights out!!) and tell myself 'this too, shall pass.' Be centred. An element of calm and peace has to be created before chanting can come from the Heart, Mind and Soul.... after that, pretty much anything goes, from "Aaaaaah!" to "Om mani padme Hung"! ;)

Hi Fed!

How's it going? 4 feet 10 inches, huh? My son is 6 feet 7 inches tall! I stand 5 feet 8 inches myself. My son's dad was 6 feet 4 inches tall and my dad was 6 feet 3 inches tall! My mother is only 5 feet tall but let me tell you---what a firebrand! She can get on a roll that will have you running for cover!

Seriously though, thinking back about what I used to do before I found Buddhism was a form of breathing meditation. I would focus on my breath going in and on it going out. It seemed to help me. I did not really say anything but if my mind started to wander, I would just pull it back to focusing on my breathing.

Adiana :D:D:lol::lol:
  • edited May 2005
    Mantras, huh? I can try that. Thanks.
    edited May 2005
    Oh, man, you know, I am just brimming over with helpful, useful well-meaning advice.... I really should try taking some of it myself, sometime....!! :lol:;):lol: